US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

You keep saying that.  Who was it that first brought a state flag into the conversation again?  😀  (hopefully taken as the mild chirp it was meant to be)

No worries.  I did.  It's just something that he will see brought up against him.  If it lands, it'll be an issue used against him. 

If it widely misses the mark like I think that it will, it will go away and be forgotten.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You aren't kidding.  😂  I've always known that sucker was strictly a battle flag but that information leaks out of my ears for whatever reason over time.  It goes to show, I suppose, how that particular flag is so well ingrained into Southern US lore that even a guy from the northeast has it in the forefront.

Who weren't fans of the "Dukes of Hazzard" & the General Lee car?:

The Duke boys reunion of sorts:

(too bad they didn't use actual General Lee but I'd guess that would involve copyrights & such)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Who weren't fans of the "Dukes of Hazzard" & the General Lee car?:

The Duke boys reunion of sorts:

(too bad they didn't use actual General Lee but I'd guess that would involve copyrights & such)

I grew up loving Dukes of Hazard.  I even watched Smallville.  What happened a few years ago with that blond chick in Smallville was crazy.  I think she's out of prison now, not sure though.

*edit* Yep.  I checked.  Allison Mack served just over half of her 3 yr. sentence and was released last year. 

Edited by Sabrefan1

21 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I grew up loving Dukes of Hazard.  I even watched Smallville.  What happened a few years ago with that blond chick in Smallville was crazy.  I think she's out of prison now, not sure though.

*edit* Yep.  I checked.  Allison Mack served just over half of her 3 yr. sentence and was released last year. 

The NXVIM doc on Prime is worth a watch. Nutso shit. 

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

More is coming out about Walz's time in the military.  There's an unflattering letter from some other soldiers, written before he became governor, that's making the rounds.

I don't think this will come to much  Two guys who served with him say one thing;  a bunch of others disagree.  I notice this is one of the first complaints in the letter (which was written after Walz decided to run on the Democratic ticket):

On August 5th, 2004 he was photographed holding a sign at a protest outside a President Bush campaign rally in southern Minnesota.

Could that have been enough to make them turn on the guy?

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck Tim's had a hard life.  I didn't know he was only 60.  I thought he was in his 70's which is why I thought for sure they were going for the younger Shapiro.

Teaching will do that.

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

More is coming out about Walz's time in the military.  There's an unflattering letter from some other soldiers, written before he became governor, that's making the rounds.

There is also a picture of his mugshot on Twitter from his DUI back in the day.  These Twitter peeps work quick...

48 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I only watched it for Daisy...   😍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is also a picture of his mugshot on Twitter from his DUI back in the day.  These Twitter peeps work quick...

It did not end up being a DUI.   (I'm not commenting on why; just that it didn't)

Walz' duties in a field artillery unit including firing howitzer cannons, a task that according to Walz led to hearing damage that required surgery.

The blasts, he wrote in an application for benefits, 'would knock us down and after firing I had ringing in my ears.'

He underwent a surgical procedure in 2005 called a stapedectomy, where doctors replaced damaged earbones with a synthetic ones. 

Walz invoked hearing loss during a low point that emerged after Harris selected him over Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro and other contenders. 

Back in 1995, he was pulled over doing 96 mph in a 55 mile per hour zone. He failed a field sobriety test and was arrested for driving under the influence. He later pleaded down the charges to reckless driving. 

His lawyer, Kerry Greeley told the Rochester, Minnesota Post Bulletin that hearing loss played a role.  

'He couldn't understand what the officer was saying to him,' attorney Kerry Greeley told the paper.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Walz just said that he can’t wait to debate Vance, provided that JD is willing to get up off the couch.

Fun fact: Couches are only JD's second favorite piece of furniture....

#1 is the Easy Chair....:classic_cool:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I referenced that letter this morning. It was posted on a Xitter account called @amuse. Judging by the rest of the content I was able to find, it's a hardcore MAGA account.

I tried to find the actual letter online, but every search result that I was able to locate, took me back to the same Tweet. So, take it FWIW.....which at least after a cursory inspection, appears to be "not much"...

I guess it's possible that it's legit, but it makes one wonder: If some rando on Xitter found it on the same day that the announcement was made, how did it escape the vetting process? Seems pretty unlikely to me....

On 8/4/2024 at 11:16 PM, RupertKBD said:

Trump.

As bad as Dubya was, I feel like working across the aisle was still a possibility after his term and the Republican party was still the Republican party after he left office...

After 2016, I don't believe either of those things hold true any more....

I have been thinking about this for the last few days. Trump is the most divisive and dangerous U.S president ever.I really can’t think of any positive attributes to give him. In a nutshell, he is a terrible person.Luckily lot of his bad decisions and policies can and will be undone, for some like Supreme Court, it will take years. Bush seemed like a decent person, those around him like Cheney, Rowe, Rumsfeld etc. are also responsible for his failures.

I just can’t get past the fact that wars in Iraq and Afghanistan killed hundreds of thousands of people needlessly. Never mind that he collapsed the economy, economy could be rebuilt, all those dead including U.S soldiers are not coming back. Human toll including mental anguish, PTSD, suicides, severe injuries, loss of limbs etc. is too much for me to ignore. This makes me nauseous to say, but I would “erase” Bush’s presidency over Trump’s. 🤮 

Edited by CBH1926

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I referenced that letter this morning. It was posted on a Xitter account called @amuse. Judging by the rest of the content I was able to find, it's a hardcore MAGA account.

I tried to find the actual letter online, but every search result that I was able to locate, took me back to the same Tweet. So, take it FWIW.....which at least after a cursory inspection, appears to be "not much"...

I guess it's possible that it's legit, but it makes one wonder: If some rando on Xitter found it on the same day that the announcement was made, how did it escape the vetting process? Seems pretty unlikely to me....

The letter is here:

https://www.wctrib.com/community/letters/the-truth-about-tim-walz

Some reaction:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13715303/Tim-Walz-betrayed-country-left-unit-Iraq-deployment-Kamalas-VP-pick-suddenly-retired-military-gave-hearing-problems.html

https://nypost.com/2024/08/06/us-news/tim-walz-embellished-military-career-for-years-dropped-from-national-guard-unit-ahead-of-iraq-deployment/

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Walz just said that he can’t wait to debate Vance, provided that JD is willing to get up off the couch.

That was a great line. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I have been thinking about this for the last few days. Trump is the most divisive and dangerous U.S president ever.I really can’t think of any positive attributes to give him. In a nutshell, he is a terrible person.Luckily lot of his bad decisions and policies can and will be undone, for some like Supreme Court, it will take years. Bush seemed like a decent person, those around him like Cheney, Rowe, Rumsfeld etc. are also responsible for his failures.

I just can’t get past the fact that wars in Iraq and Afghanistan killed hundreds of thousands of people needlessly. Never mind that he collapsed the economy, economy could be rebuilt, all those dead including U.S soldiers are not coming back. Human toll including mental anguish, PTSD, suicides, severe injuries, loss of limbs etc. is too much for me to ignore. This makes me nauseous to say, but I would “erase” Bush’s presidency over Trump’s. 🤮

I understand the sentiment. The only counter I can give is that had someone else been in Office after 9/11, they might well have been convinced to do the same thing.

I can't think of a single other candidate that would have done the same shit that Trump did.

One thing that always gets swept under the rug is Trump's cancellation of the Iran Nuclear deal, for no better reason than the fact that Obama negotiated it. How much damage has that done globally?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It did not end up being a DUI.   (I'm not commenting on why; just that it didn't)

Walz' duties in a field artillery unit including firing howitzer cannons, a task that according to Walz led to hearing damage that required surgery.

The blasts, he wrote in an application for benefits, 'would knock us down and after firing I had ringing in my ears.'

He underwent a surgical procedure in 2005 called a stapedectomy, where doctors replaced damaged earbones with a synthetic ones. 

Walz invoked hearing loss during a low point that emerged after Harris selected him over Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro and other contenders. 

Back in 1995, he was pulled over doing 96 mph in a 55 mile per hour zone. He failed a field sobriety test and was arrested for driving under the influence. He later pleaded down the charges to reckless driving. 

His lawyer, Kerry Greeley told the Rochester, Minnesota Post Bulletin that hearing loss played a role.  

'He couldn't understand what the officer was saying to him,' attorney Kerry Greeley told the paper.

If one care about a potential dui from 1995, said person need to get their head examined and prioritizes reflected. 

• Cheers 2