US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Megyn Kelly’s Claim Tim Walz ‘Forced’ Tampons Into Boys Bathrooms Debunked By Minnesota Journalist

https://www.mediaite.com/news/megyn-kellys-claim-tim-walz-forced-tampons-into-boys-bathrooms-debunked-by-minnesota-journalist/

Gawd MAGAts have an uncanny penchant for self humiliation.  From Ted Cruz to Lindsey to McConnell and on.

Kelly went even harder for her cult leader even after this....

"Blood coming out of......whatever"

• Cheers 1

Something...Something...Open boarders.

About that. 

Increased Mexican enforcement (negotiated by the Biden Admin) and Biden's executive action limiting asylum claims are seen as the reason for the drop.  If the bipartisan boarder deal wasn't shot down by TRUMP and the House QOP, it would be even better news wise regarding the boarder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/number-migrants-border-towns-big-us-cities-has-plunged-rcna165829

'Drastically less': The number of migrants in border towns and some big U.S. cities has plunged

Shelter operators attribute the steep drop to President Joe Biden’s June executive action limiting asylum claims and stronger efforts by Mexico to intercept U.S.-bound migrants.
  • Like 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Here's hoping that she misspoke.  Because they sure aren't reducing the population of the US with immigration.  That means reducing the population of the rest of the planet...

pretty sure she meant "pollution". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

Something...Something...Open boarders.

About that. 

Increased Mexican enforcement (negotiated by the Biden Admin) and Biden's executive action limiting asylum claims are seen as the reason for the drop.  If the bipartisan boarder deal wasn't shot down by TRUMP and the House QOP, it would be even better news wise regarding the boarder.

https://www.nbcnews.com/investigations/number-migrants-border-towns-big-us-cities-has-plunged-rcna165829

'Drastically less': The number of migrants in border towns and some big U.S. cities has plunged

Shelter operators attribute the steep drop to President Joe Biden’s June executive action limiting asylum claims and stronger efforts by Mexico to intercept U.S.-bound migrants.

I thought we covered this.  Trump and the GOP played ridiculous politics with the border and us "little people" take the brunt, not the as*hole polticians.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

pretty sure she meant "pollution". 

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That would make much more sense and isn't alarming like population.  😂

Cue the incoming demands for cognitive testing if/when it is reported that she just misspoke.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I thought we covered this.  Trump and the GOP played ridiculous politics with the border and us "little people" take the brunt, not the as*hole polticians.

It's just that CONs keep trotting out the "open boarders" claim, when evidence like the article indicate that the boarder is far from open.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

It's just that CONs keep trotting out the "open boarders" claim, when evidence like the article indicate that the boarder is far from open.  

Personally, I'd like it sealed, and immigration controlled, but Congress, including the GOP won't pass the necessary laws to do so.  This is the GOP's abortion club.

They'll use immigration for political reasons like the Democrats used abortion.  Eventually it comes back to bite everyone in the ass.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Cue the incoming demands for cognitive testing if/when it is reported that she just misspoke.

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Public speaking is hard.  I'll take the occasional gaffe over repeated long rambling word vomit that TRUMP spews.  Shark.

One misread on a teleprompter is no big deal.  The dummies on social media can cry all that they want to.  I wouldn't cry too loud though.  Like I said before, you don't get stupid when you get old, just slower.  That means the near octogenarian orange guy will at some point, soon enough, misread a teleprompter more than once.

On 8/6/2024 at 7:47 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Then she proceeded to call him an illegitimate president, and the Democrats went on a crusade to impeach him with the Russiagate conspiracy theory.

No need to try & ignore it, every election this century has been contested by the otherside.

I'm also not a conservative

I'd be willing to bet (if it was possible to know the truth) that both parties cheat to some extent in every election.

As I said Dems went on a crusade with Russiagate in '16, they had the FBI collude with social media sites to censor the Biden laptop story in '20, and have been pushing more non-citizens to vote for a long time which itself could be argued as a subversion of the process. 

And I don't blame them at all, like I said I think both parties cheat to get an edge every election. But if you hold democracy dear you that has to be across the board. If you just want your party to win b/c the stakes are so high that's fine too, that's certainly their perspective. 

I'll circle back to this.

You're correct to a degree. The question here is the extent of the cheating by both parties. For instance, both parties engage in gerrymandering districts to their advantage. I would argue that the Republicans pioneered it with great effect in 2010 Census year, but the Dems have finally caught up to it, so their advantage in that area is pretty much diluted.

Russiagate, Biden laptop....all those have been within the framework of government. Impeachment etc...hardly on the same scale and magnitude as Jan 6th. 

The Republicans are currently the only ones that are actively going out of their way to undermine the democratic institution to win. Such as this recent story where they have officials in place that are already signaling they will refuse to certify the election results in Georgia.

The Georgia state board’s actions are a consequence of the sweeping voter suppression law passed by the state legislature in 2021 after Trump failed to overturn the results. The law, SB202, included 16 provisions rolling back access to the ballot; the conservative group Heritage Action, the sister organization of the Heritage Foundation, which is behind Project 2025, took credit for the measure, saying in a leaked video obtained by Mother Jones and Documented that it included “eight key provisions that Heritage recommended.”“These are MAGA certification rules, and they’re in direct conflict with Georgia law”

Most notably, the law removed Raffensperger, who resisted Trump’s demands to “find 11,780 votes” to overturn Biden’s victory, as chair and voting member of the state board, which oversees voting rules and election certification. Instead, it gave Republicans in the heavily gerrymandered legislature more power to choose the board’s members, which allowed election deniers to gain a controlling majority of the body this year.

As USA Today reported:

In January, the Georgia Senate, run by Lt. Gov. Burt Jones, confirmed Rick Jeffares as that body’s pick for the board. Jeffares posted memes shortly after the 2020 election “that suggested dead people had voted by mail, claimed the Democrats and China had colluded, and implied that Democrats had cheated,” according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution. (Jones, the lieutenant governor, served as a fake member of the Electoral College, as part of Trump’s effort to overturn the election.)

In May, the state House of Representatives confirmed King to replace Ed Lindsey, a Republican who faced criticism on the right for his support for no-excuse absentee voting and his lobbying careerKing proposed re-opening a state investigation of the 2020 election.

Johnston, the board member who attended the Trump rally, was appointed by the Georgia Republican Party in 2022. She has already hinted that GOP county officials could use the new power given to them by the state board to refuse to certify election results.

“Not all elections are certified,” she said at the seven-hour board meeting on Tuesday. “There are ballot battles and there are elections that need to be addressed carefully, and there may be issues that prevent a board from certifying.”

Maybe that's why Trump isn't really giving a shit organizing as much rallies and events as Harris and Walz now? They've given up on winning legitimately and are working on finding ways to steal the election via the courts and perhaps reaching a scenario where a contingent election is forced, if neither candidate receives 270 seats, each state gets 1 vote, there are more Republican states. 

Please find a democratic equivalent to a scheme on this scale if the 'both sides' argument is to ring true.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The Dems are "coming" for your sperm to depopulate the population!

Nah, Diet Mountain Dew does the job for them. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That would make much more sense and isn't alarming like population.  😂

The unfortunate part is you know the Republicans are going to run with this because they don't have much to go on at this point. lol

• Upvote 1