US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So, try it this way for a moment: Edison was by all accounts a first class prick. But.... the personal benefit he enjoyed is dwarfed by the benefit billions of others have had in lighting, e.g. 

These guys are an output of our system. Yes there are mostly dinks. But if their personal gains are dwarfed by what the rest of the planet can enjoy for decades, maybe even centuries, thats a good bargain imo. 

me too. It's those little guys that got me to stop eating mammals. They are as smart as dogs, and no one should be eating dogs. 

I understand that capitalism breeds innovation. It's a runner up to necessity.

However, I am talking about extreme wealth hoarding. Billionaires.

Edison, that pile of garbage, was worth $12 million when he died...about $228 million modern day ( inflation)

Let's pause the convo while you provide somone else from the same time period that is the equivalent of being worth $222 Billion today.

Someone that is close to the amount top modern day hoarders hold. 

Edited by bishopshodan

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I understand that capitalism breeds innovation. It's a runner up to necessity.

However, I am talking about extreme wealth hoarding. Billionaires.

Edison, that pile of garbage, was worth $12 million when he died...about $228 million modern day ( inflation)

Let's pause the convo while you provide somone else from the same time period that is the equivalent of being worth $222 Billion today.

Someone that is close to the amount top modern day hoarders hold. 

thats a neat question. OK:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewithorn/2017/09/19/the-first-forbes-list-see-who-the-richest-americans-were-in-1918/

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#2c16a69b3d78

These are lists for 19th century "billionaires" and todays. It's interesting to see where money is made now, not surprisingly it was nation building stuff early on, tech stuff now, and of course bankers have always got their cut. We clearly benefit from the nation building effort. We also do and will continue to benefit from tech.

I want to know what we can actually do to prevent people like this from accumulating so much wealth. And how we do it without hurting innovation and the beneficial part.

I totally agree we need to tax these folks a lot more, but beyond that I honestly don't know what we could do. 

14 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

She did it to piss him off because she KNOWS this will get under his skin and drive him even more batshit crazy. It's really a non-issue but it will make poor ole Donny crap himself in a fit of pique. Both Kamala and Tim know EXACTLY how to get under his skin and make him lose what little control he has left. I find myself past the point of petty... Democrats did the nice, follow the law, go high when he goes low... and where did it get them? Pushing Donald til he completely loses his wad is perfection. And better done before he finds a way to slither his way back into the grounds of the White House.

Proof..

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

She did it to piss him off because she KNOWS this will get under his skin and drive him even more batshit crazy. It's really a non-issue but it will make poor ole Donny crap himself in a fit of pique. Both Kamala and Tim know EXACTLY how to get under his skin and make him lose what little control he has left. I find myself past the point of petty... Democrats did the nice, follow the law, go high when he goes low... and where did it get them? Pushing Donald til he completely loses his wad is perfection. And better done before he finds a way to slither his way back into the grounds of the White House.

she doesn't even need to get nasty, just point out he's a documented liar. When he whines, she can pull out an earmarked copy of his book and ask him for his Swedish birth certificate. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats a neat question. OK:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chasewithorn/2017/09/19/the-first-forbes-list-see-who-the-richest-americans-were-in-1918/

https://www.forbes.com/real-time-billionaires/#2c16a69b3d78

These are lists for 19th century "billionaires" and todays. It's interesting to see where money is made now, not surprisingly it was nation building stuff early on, tech stuff now, and of course bankers have always got their cut. We clearly benefit from the nation building effort. We also do and will continue to benefit from tech.

I want to know what we can actually do to prevent people like this from accumulating so much wealth. And how we do it without hurting innovation and the beneficial part.

I totally agree we need to tax these folks a lot more, but beyond that I honestly don't know what we could do. 

Look at that, even the mighty Rockefeller comes in at $21Bil... then drops off sharply to Ford at $3.9Bil.

Nowhere near Elon's $222Bil

What can we do...?

Stop putting them on a pedestal. Shun the evil hoarders. Make then realise that they are not cool. Even those with massive wealth desire more than anything to be admired.

In the words of one of my fave Hiphop artist these days.... " these fucking dorks aren't the leaders we need"

Smart rap...

7 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

No. Tipping is voluntary. 
if anything. I would tip less because I know that it is a tax free payment.
If any business tried to drive up tip %, they would lose my business.. 

You think it is voluntary?

Hahahaha. Try going to a restaurant and not pay tips. 

Heck you will probably start to see restaurant add in mandatory tips now. 

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Look at that, even the mighty Rockefeller comes in at $21Bil... then drops off sharply to Ford at $3.9Bil.

Nowhere near Elon's $222Bil

What can we do...?

Stop putting them on a pedestal. Shun the evil hoarders. Make then realise that they are not cool. Even those with massive wealth desire more than anything to be admired.

In the words of one of my fave Hiphop artist these days.... " these fucking dorks aren't the leaders we need"

Smart rap...

Elon is making a fool of himself all on his own, can a guy like that be swayed by negative press? he seems to enjoy it. He's a very weird guy. 

Dunno B. I understand the ideal, just don't know how to get there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Elon is making a fool of himself all on his own, can a guy like that be swayed by negative press? he seems to enjoy it. He's a very weird guy. 

From 16 hrs ago I said...."I know I am being idealistic"

I think how we get there, is we need to simply stop being impressed by vulgar displays of wealth, stop being impressed by mega Yachts and 15 houses etc...

Shun the hoarders.

I'm not saying that we shouldnt be impressed by financial success but a realistic cap on the opinion of that wealth would eventually work.

Nobody wants to be obese. Show these dorks that they are obe$e. Shun them if they hoard so much. Dont invite them to your dinner parties. 

20 minutes ago, 24K said:

You think it is voluntary?

Heck you will probably start to see restaurant add in mandatory tips now. 

I know that tipping is voluntary where I live. I can go to a restaurant and not pay a tip if the service is bad. I’ve tried it, and I haven’t been arrested yet.

You also don’t have to go to a restaurant if they impose mandatory tipping. The restaurant industry is highly prone  to financial failure. Do you really believe that restaurants will risk putting themselves out of business by jacking up their prices?  I don’t.

Cooking for yourself is not hard.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

35 minutes ago, 24K said:

I have gone to a few restaurants and the service was lousy so I did not leave a tip. On the other hand if the service is decent I usually leave a tip.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

I know that tipping is voluntary where I live. I can go to a restaurant and not pay a tip if the service is bad. I’ve tried it, and I haven’t been arrested yet.

You also don’t have to go to a restaurant if they impose mandatory tipping. The restaurant industry is highly prone  to financial failure. Do you really believe that restaurants will risk putting themselves out of business by jacking up their prices?  I don’t.

Cooking for yourself is not hard.

To circle back to qualifying for mortgages...banks will not be onside with loaning money on inconsistent income.

That makes sense, why would they?...its a liability.

So, paying taxes on money that perhaps isn't acknowledged by financial institutions, could be seen as discrimination on what is already some of the lower income earners. 

Edited by bishopshodan

Just now, bishopshodan said:

To cricle back to qualifying for mortgages...banks will not be onside with loaning money on inconsistent income.

That makes sense, why would they?...its a liability.

So, paying taxes on money that perhaps isn't acknowledged by finaicial institutions, could be seen as discrimination on what is already some of the lower income earners. 

Banks are the scum of the of the earth. I ran my business through a corporation for many years. Instead of paying myself a wage, I received my income as dividends because the combined income tax was lower that way.

It was like pulling teeth trying to convince the banks that my dividend income was no different than salary income. It was very difficult trying to get a mortgage because the banks do discriminate. The box checkers refuse to use logic. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

He's one of the guys that recommended Herr Sh*tsHisPants to select this guy as his VP candidate:

Not judging the couch f*cker though...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

From 16 hrs ago I said...."I know I am being idealistic"

I think how we get there, is we need to simply stop being impressed by vulgar displays of wealth, stop being impressed by mega Yachts and 15 houses etc...

Shun the hoarders.

I'm not saying that we shouldnt be impressed by financial success but a realistic cap on the opinion of that wealth would eventually work.

Nobody wants to be obese. Show these dorks that they are obe$e. Shun them if they hoard so much.

I'd be shocked if Elon could feel shame. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Dont invite them to your dinner parties. 

Hey man, tell it to Petey.

• Huggy Bear 1

.. and words,

perhaps from the next AG of the USA ,

also to perhaps move on to SCOTUS , or become POTUS himself..

We don’t have to match their hate.

We don’t have to peddle in their lies.

Our calling is clear and righteous, as it was for the generations before us. 

Defend America against all her enemies, foreign and domestic.

We will band together and move beyond the dark shadow of Trumpism.

We will do it with unyielding hope for a brighter future.

We are not going back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be shocked if Elon could feel shame

I think he is one of the biggest attention whores.

Married that hip goth girl ( and didnt he bang a buddies wife, google dude?) pretends he would fight MMA, suckles his tweeter daily.

i know you and I think he is king dork but he has millions of fans and supporters. It used to be because he was bringing new innovation, now it is because he is the richest of them all. 

Not much we can do immediately about these hoarders, however over time our society could build up an apathy for their floss ( rap term, keeping with my theme)

Maybe we should treat them like we would that obese kid, that wont share his chocolate with the other kids....specifically the dying ones. 

If we looked at him like that, he's not going to any dinner parties. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Trump is back on Twitter…

Hey, right on cue...

Two Billionaire dorks.

Well, not so sure about the Old Orange Oaf.

He might have more fibs than dollars.