US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Well put. Whatever people think of Elon, his businesses aren't going away anytime soon because he says weird righty stuff.

I can't see Rivian surpassing Tesla anytime soon, they are too expensive.

Rivian also continues to do silly things business-wise.  That cost won't go down until they can take advantage of economics of scale.  They are still a long long way off from that tipping point.  They need to go multi-national.  They need to be prudent in their scaling up with the multi-billion dollar shot in the arm that they just got from Volkswagen.

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣

I'm guessing that the prison commissary will be "rigged" as well, when she feels she isn't getting the amount of tater tots she feels she's entitled to.....

I hope the judge in this case notes the lack of accountability and conducts sentencing accordingly....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Rivian also continues to do silly things business-wise.  That cost won't go down until they can take advantage of economics of scale.  They are still a long long way off from that tipping point.  They need to go multi-national.  They need to be prudent in their scaling up with the multi-billion dollar shot in the arm that they just got from Volkswagen.

Tesla had its hiccups when it was a younger company as well. Heck it has issues now with layoffs, and firing staff. Tesla has two things going for it. Engineering, and it's Supercharger network. I'm still rooting for companies like Rivian and Lucid. And I'll be very happy if they somehow get to building affordable vehicles. 

The big question is China going to move into Mexico and do an end run on NAFTA and start building factories there? 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tesla had its hiccups when it was a younger company as well. Heck it has issues now with layoffs, and firing staff. Tesla has two things going for it. Engineering, and it's Supercharger network. I'm still rooting for companies like Rivian and Lucid. And I'll be very happy if they somehow get to building affordable vehicles. 

The big question is China going to move into Mexico and do an end run on NAFTA and start building factories there? 

Biggest thing was the subsidies/various tax credits it received (corporate welfare).  So much for free market capitalist.

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Hillary biggest mistake was not bothering to campaign hard in various battleground states (much like Herr VonSh*tsHisPants is doing right now though I guess he needs the rest as he's as old as dirt like Sleepy Joe as well as being a fatass).  She took it for granted in too many ridings.  Course the Dems can do the same mistake again but hopefully they've learned from their past mistakes.

I just see people here posting the rosiest of articles and polls.  That's just repeating a narrative some of the news outlets are trying to paint like they did with Hillary.  Like you've said now, and I've been saying, this race will be won in the swing states.  When you discount the outlier polls, the rest of them are well within the margin of error. Although, Michigan is slowly sliding away from Trump and I think at this point it's all but unrecoverable barring a huge mistake from the Harris campaign.

The Harris campaign is making smart moves right now and the Trump campaign is inexplicably just spinning it's wheels in place.  He needs to crack that piggy bank open and hire some new professional campaign strategists and listen to them for a change.

• Upvote 1

I just see people here posting the rosiest of articles and polls.  That's just repeating a narrative some of the news outlets are trying to paint like they did with Hillary.  Like you've said now, and I've been saying, this race will be won in the swing states.  When you discount the outlier polls, the rest of them are well within the margin of error. Although, Michigan is slowly sliding away from Trump and I think at this point it's all but unrecoverable barring a huge mistake from the Harris campaign.

The Harris campaign is making smart moves right now and the Trump campaign is inexplicably just spinning it's wheels in place.  He needs to crack that piggy bank open and hire some new professional campaign strategists and listen to them for a change.

They've (Dems) got like a two goal lead (which is the most dangerous lead in hockey 🤪).  They have to continue to campaign hard in those swing states until election day.  Don't let up.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He needs to crack that piggy bank open and hire some new professional campaign strategists and listen to them for a change.

Or, not.

He could just keep floundering his way into jail, that would be fine with me. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I always root for competition.  It makes things better and cheaper faster.  Rivian has a very good product and it's just frustrating to see them stumble on the business end of things.  Hopefully Volkswagen's new shot of capital came with a seat or two on the Rivian board to help guide them.  I haven't looked at their prospectus in quite some time so I'm not sure if it did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I always root for competition.  It makes things better and cheaper faster.  Rivian has a very good product and it's just frustrating to see them stumble on the business end of things.  Hopefully Volkswagen's new shot of capital came with a seat or two on the Rivian board to help guide them.  I haven't looked at their prospectus in quite some time so I'm not sure if it did.

I like them too. Got stocks.

Better looking product than Tesla by far, and that 5bil from VW is a good boost.

I think their last earnings report was better than expected too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Or, not.

He could just keep floundering his way into jail, that would be fine with me. 

He's doing a bang-up job of that ever since he got actual competition. 

I think we're seeing in real time why his business gains over the years didn't even match the gains he could have gotten had he just placed his inheritance in the bond market.

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I honestly don't think it's going to be as close as people say it is.  I think we might see states like NC, Georgia, AZ, NV, maybe even Fla turn their backs on Trump.  I think those not in the cult just wanted a reasonable candidate to vote for 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I like them too. Got stocks.

Better looking product than Tesla by far, and that 5bil from VW is a good boost.

I think their last earnings report was better than expected too. 

You bought into Rivian?!  You are definitely braver than me.  I won't touch the EV market.  Even at $600 Billion, I still think Tesla is highly overpriced.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly don't think it's going to be as close as people say it is.  I think we might see states like NC, Georgia, AZ, NV, maybe even Fla turn their backs on Trump.  I think those not in the cult just wanted a reasonable candidate to vote for 

We'll see.  I think Trump can still recover to keep his lead in some of those swing states, but he's slowly letting them slip away.

I think either Harris will clobber him on election day, like he would have clobbered Joe, or it will come down to small margins in one or two of those states.  That's why it's semi-surprising to me that his campaign is still floundering.

I just looked 10 minutes ago.  He's back off of Twitter/X and back to preaching to his choir on Truth Social.  In my opinion, that's a very big mistake.  He won his first term in no small part to his Twitter usage.  Right now, he needs all of the visibility that he can get.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dare to dream eh? 🤣

image.thumb.png.870c3722f8f5e36db006a51bb174ba2c.png

I am not being serious here just a fyi.

31 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He needs to crack that piggy bank open and hire some new professional campaign strategists and listen to them for a change.

He has nobody left that can stomach attaching their name to him or his insanity.  They also know he is not worth the time knowing they might never get paid for their efforts.

He has done what every crackpot idiot wannabe dictator in history has done.  Surrounded himself with sycophants and idiots looking for a slice of power.  And like all of those former people from history, he has absolutely nobody credible or intelligent left to draw on.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We'll see.  I think Trump can still recover to keep his lead in some of those swing states, but he's slowly letting them slip away.

I think either Harris will clobber him on election day, like he would have clobbered Joe, or it will come down to small margins in one or two of those states.  That's why it's semi-surprising to me that his campaign is still floundering.

I just looked 10 minutes ago.  He's back off of Twitter/X and back to preaching to his choir on Truth Social.  In my opinion, that's a very big mistake.  He won his first term in no small part to his Twitter usage.  Right now, he needs all of the visibility that he can get.

he's spent 6 years on his Biden shtick. It's too late to turn it around. His only shot imo is if he can soundly defeat Harris in the first debate (and maybe the only debate they actually do).

Of course Harris can always say something weird that the media latches on to, she'll be held to a higher standard than trump on that kind of thing. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Much like my previous comment.  he needs the adoration and can not stomach the detractors of which, there are tens of millions more this time than at this stage of 2016.

Truth Social gives him that adoration because he just deletes accounts that attack him in any fashion.  It's his own social echo chamber.

Twitter/X does not allow for that; although the moderation of that site is now getting very questionable 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He has nobody left that can stomach attaching their name to him or his insanity.  They also know he is not worth the time knowing they might never get paid for their efforts.

He has done what every crackpot idiot wannabe dictator in history has done.  Surrounded himself with sycophants and idiots looking for a slice of power.  And like all of those former people from history, he has absolutely nobody credible or intelligent left to draw on.

Funny enough you may be onto something.  The best campaigners out there aren't going to want to work with someone who won't listen to them even if they get their fee upfront.

Their reputations are built on winning.  If Trump refuses to listen to them, they aren't going to want to hurt their reputations for a 3 1/2 month paycheque.

Good thinking on your part.  I never even considered this.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Much like my previous comment.  he needs the adoration and can not stomach the detractors of which, there are tens of millions more this time than at this stage of 2016.

Truth Social gives him that adoration because he just deletes accounts that attack him in any fashion.  It's his own social echo chamber.

Twitter/X does not allow for that; although the moderation of that site is now getting very questionable 

You're likely correct and Trump's a moron for not taking the hit from Truth Social's parent company for technically violating his contract and not at least double posting to Twitter.  He should be laser focused on winning.  It's amazing to me that he doesn't realize that.  He's stupidly attempting to have it all and he's failing.

You're likely correct and Trump's a moron for not taking the hit from Truth Social's parent company for technically violating his contract and not at least double posting to Twitter.  He should be laser focused on winning.  It's amazing to me that he doesn't realize that.  He's stupidly attempting to have it all and he's failing.

just because he's good at yapping, people assume he's also smart. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he's spent 6 years on his Biden shtick. It's too late to turn it around. His only shot imo is if he can soundly defeat Harris in the first debate (and maybe the only debate they actually do).

Of course Harris can always say something weird that the media latches on to, she'll be held to a higher standard than trump on that kind of thing. 

That's my read on this too so far.  It's slowly becoming Harris' race to lose. 

Her campaign is doing a good job so far in minimizing those chances although the not talking to the media thing is beginning to catch up to her.

• Like 1