US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

That's my read on this too so far.  It's slowly becoming Harris' race to lose. 

Her campaign is doing a good job so far in minimizing those chances although the not talking to the media thing is beginning to catch up to her.

her economic plan should be interesting. I suspect it's going to be high on aspiration, low on detail. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Not exactly a "stable genius".  😂

I normally don't watch the US debates live, but I'll probably tune into this one. The chance for her to turn him into a fool on live tv is just too enticing. He's not used to people coming at him with direct attacks and I don't think he can handle it coming from a brown woman. It could be an epic meltdown if she can corner him. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

I normally don't watch the US debates live, but I'll probably tune into this one. The chance for her to turn him into a fool on live tv is just too enticing. He's not used to people coming at him with direct attacks and I don't think he can handle it coming from a brown woman. It could be an epic meltdown if she can corner him.

If she can't beat him in something that she is literally trained to do, she's not the right person to run things. 

I think even on Fox, she's going to cream him.  Though I said the same thing about Biden even though I knew for sure that he had mental issues, so I'm not exactly the authority on presidential debates apparently.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They had 1 billion views last night.  That's alot of people.  Don't care what anyone says.  X is more powerful than all the legacy media combined...

That's why it's amazing to me that Trump isn't double posting to it.  Today, he's back to just exclusively posting in an echo chamber and preaching to the choir.

If I were him, I wouldn't care what my Truth Social contract said, I'd be campaigning on Twitter hard until November.

41 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We'll see.  I think Trump can still recover to keep his lead in some of those swing states, but he's slowly letting them slip away.

I think either Harris will clobber him on election day, like he would have clobbered Joe, or it will come down to small margins in one or two of those states.  That's why it's semi-surprising to me that his campaign is still floundering.

I just looked 10 minutes ago.  He's back off of Twitter/X and back to preaching to his choir on Truth Social.  In my opinion, that's a very big mistake.  He won his first term in no small part to his Twitter usage.  Right now, he needs all of the visibility that he can get.

I don't think so.  I think he's done

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They had 1 billion views last night.  That's alot of people.  Don't care what anyone says.  X is more powerful than all the legacy media combined...

Do you seriously believe that?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's why it's amazing to me that Trump isn't double posting to it.  Today, he's back to just exclusively posting in an echo chamber and preaching to the choir.

If I were him, I wouldn't care what my Truth Social contract said, I'd be campaigning on Twitter hard until November.

Actually, there is an account on Twitter that reposts all his Truth Social stuff.  So, indirectly he is double posting.  My guess is he will start his own posting on Twitter more often now that he is back.  His Twitter followers increased by almost 2 million just yesterday alone...

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do 1 billion people watch CNN?

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if either participant has any vested interest in inflating those numbers?  Or if either of them has the authority to manipulate that number?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually, there is an account on Twitter that reposts all his Truth Social stuff.  So, indirectly he is double posting.  My guess is he will start his own posting on Twitter more often now that he is back.  His Twitter followers increased by almost 2 million just yesterday alone...

I've seen that account.  It's still not the same thing as him posting though.  He can't help himself.  Eventually he'd start making Twitter only posts ranting and raving about issues like immigration.  That's what he needs to do.  Immigration/migration is the second biggest issue in this election.

Like I've said before, as long as the government is split, I'm happy.  I don't care which one of them is president as long as neither party has a monopoly on power.

What concerns me is that I'm beginning to question why Trumps judgment seems to have gotten poorer.  He ran 2 good campaigns even though he lost the second one.  This campaign is seriously lagging in comparison.  If his age is catching up to him and he's gotten tired as a result, I want to know.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He definitely is if he doesn't get his act together.

Dems do have a habit unfortunately of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Still surprised how quickly they united when Biden "retired".  Guess they know what the stakes are involved.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hmmmmmm, I wonder if either participant has any vested interest in inflating those numbers?  Or if either of them has the authority to manipulate that number?

Twitter reaches way more people than the TV.  That's not even up for a debate.  You'd have to be pretty clueless to think otherwise.  I mean, every single person on the planet has a smartphone with the Twitter app on it.  

CNN has approximately 700,000 viewers in primetime.  That's slightly less than 1 billion...

Cable News Network (CNN) Ratings (ustvdb.com)

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've seen that account.  It's still not the same thing as him posting though.  He can't help himself.  Eventually he'd start making Twitter only posts ranting and raving about issues like immigration.  That's what he needs to do.  Immigration/migration is the second biggest issue in this election.

Like I've said before, as long as the government is split, I'm happy.  I don't care which one of them is president as long as neither party has a monopoly on power.

What concerns me is that I'm beginning to question why Trumps judgment seems to have gotten poorer.  He ran 2 good campaigns even though he lost the second one.  This campaign is seriously lagging in comparison.  If his age is catching up to him and he's gotten tired as a result, I want to know.

Most likely he will forget what app he is posting on and accidentally start using Twitter for all of his rants.  Would be quite funny if he got banned on Twitter because of that...  🤣

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

is it actually powerful if 80% of people tuned in to laugh their asses off at Trump?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dems do have a habit unfortunately of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  Still surprised how quickly they united when Biden "retired".  Guess they know what the stakes are involved.

They had no choice and I'm pretty sure it was pre-planned.  Putting Biden in a debate so early was almost unheard of.  After the debate, it was fairly obvious why they made one so early.  Biden's team made a mistake in agreeing to that debate before he was officially the party nominee.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If she can't beat him in something that she is literally trained to do, she's not the right person to run things. 

I'm not sure how Fox could manipulate it, other than to maybe try to get her off her game with a hissing audience. 

Isn't the first one on ABC tho? 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Most likely he will forget what app he is posting on and accidentally start using Twitter for all of his rants.  Would be quite funny if he got banned on Twitter because of that...  🤣

Musk would unban him in a heartbeat if someone banned him.  Then he'd fire the person responsible.  Trump back on X/Twitter would be good for X's user engagement numbers.  Now that the advertiser coalition is dead, it would also help bring in advertising money most likely.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

They had no choice and I'm pretty sure it was pre-planned.  Putting Biden in a debate so early was almost unheard of.  After the debate, it was fairly obvious why they made one so early.  Biden's team made a mistake in agreeing to that debate before he was officially the party nominee.

That and Nancy Pelosi is like Tywin Lannister & knows how to play the Game of Thrones.🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

You think the 1 billion is a real number?  

cough  cough  BOTS  cough

Even if 50% were bots, that's still 500 million.  Which is 499 million more views than CNN gets on a nightly basis.  Heck, you could even increase that number to 80% bots, and 200 million is still more than all of the TV shows get in one evening combined...

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure how Fox could manipulate it, other than to maybe try to get her off her game with a hissing audience. 

Isn't the first one on ABC tho? 

Trump was demanding that it be moved to faux news the last time I checked, which admittedly was a while ago.