US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They had 1 billion views last night.  That's alot of people.  Don't care what anyone says.  X is more powerful than all the legacy media combined...

How many people tuned in just to laugh at it and count the lies?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Musk would unban him in a heartbeat if someone banned him.  Then he'd fire the person responsible.  Trump back on X/Twitter would be good for X's user engagement numbers.  Now that the advertiser coalition is dead, it would also help bring in advertising money most likely.

Elon isn't stupid.  He definitely wants Trump back on Twitter.  Problem is Trump has billions invested in Truth Social.  So, I highly doubt he wants to tank his stock.  Mind you, if he loses the election Truth Social will go to zero regardless, so he's pretty fooked at this point.  He really has no choice but to go all in and start using Twitter daily to try and win the election...

• chaos 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Even if 50% were bots, that's still 500 million.  Which is 499 million more views than CNN gets on a nightly basis.  Heck, you could even increase that number to 80% bots, and 200 million is still more than all of the TV shows get in one evening combined...

Somehow 73 million (even that is dubious) gets turned into 1 billion.  There were not 1 billion people viewing that dumpster fire.  Elon claims that there were 73 million views and then there were 4 million POSTS that then generated 1 billion views.  

A while back, Elon changed how things are "viewed" on Twitter.  If I remember correctly, someone scrolling past got counted as an impression.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do 1 billion people watch CNN?

Off topic....check out the history of the original CNN headquarters!   It used to be the main structure/building for a couple of wacky Canadians in their theme park (which was also an old Saturday mornings kids show) that ultimately failed:

🤣

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do 1 billion people watch CNN?

You know it's not 1 billion people who watched it right?   If you count all the viewers and all the comments (favourable or not) it gets close to 1 billion.

The number of comments here - and I have seen none favourable - indicate that people showed some interest in this reboot of 'Grumpy Old Men' .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

1 billion views...

You do realise the entire US population is under 350 million right? Europe itself doesn't even have 1 billion people. If we are to base who in the world has access to a TV or a computer, there are only 3.25 billion people with the chance to have even viewed that meeting... you really think 1/3rd of all people who can viewed it?

Learn to understand when someone is over-exaggerating. If you understood any bit of human geography, you would come to realise Musk just fed you a bunch of bullshit.

Ummm, you don't need access to a tv or a computer to watch Twitter, you need what is called a smartphone.  Do you know how many people in the world own a smartphone?  Like 6 billion?  Elon is simply looking at the numbers.  The views added up to 1 billion.  I am sure alot of those were bots.  

Just because you hate Musk, doesn't mean that X isn't a powerful tool to reach billions of people in the world, making the legacy media completely irrelevant.

Also, if you really want to know how powerful X is, just look at this site as an example.  How many people here keep posting stuff from X on a daily basis?  Where is all of the information coming from for Canucks news, trades, the war in Ukraine, Israel, even in this thread?  How many X posts have you seen in this thread over the last 24 hours?

• Confused 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

You know it's not 1 billion people who watched it right?   If you count all the viewers and all the comments (favourable or not) it gets close to 1 billion.

The number of comments here - and I have seen none favourable - indicate that people showed some interest in this reboot of 'Grumpy Old Men' .

Ah so they're inflating it by counting comments... probably even every argument that goes back and forth between 2 people.

Imagine having an argument about it with someone in the comments and being counted as "20 people." lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ah so they're inflating it by counting comments... probably even every argument that goes back and forth between 2 people.

Imagine having an argument about it with someone in the comments and being counted as "20 people." lol

Similar counting method to how Trump counted the people at his Presidential Inauguration. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, you don't need access to a tv or a computer to watch Twitter, you need what is called a smartphone.  Do you know how many people in the world own a smartphone?  Like 6 billion?  Elon is simply looking at the numbers.  The views added up to 1 billion.  I am sure alot of those were bots.  

Just because you hate Musk, doesn't mean that X isn't a powerful tool to reach billions of people in the world, making the legacy media completely irrelevant.

Also, if you really want to know how powerful X is, just look at this site as an example.  How many people here keep posting stuff from X on a daily basis?  Where is all of the information coming from for Canucks news, trades, the war in Ukraine, Israel, even in this thread?  How many X posts have you seen in this thread over the last 24 hours?

Dude, 4 billion own a smartphone. I just looked it up. So a 1/4th of the entire world available watched it? That's still bullshit. But at least you're acknowledging it probably wasn't 1 billion actual people. I'd legitimately be worried about you if you thought it was 1 billion actual people.

Also, what I think about Musk is irrelevant to this. Even if I thought Musk was the greatest man on Earth, I literally have part of my degree in geography and know bullshit like this when I see it.

And posting things from X here is also irrelevant. If you post things from Facebook, does that mean you should take what Zuckerburg says seriously? If you buy things from Amazon, does that mean you should take what Bezos says seriously? Like sure, they're powerful people as they own the platforms but that doesn't mean we have to look up to them. It doesn't mean what they say is going to be the truth.

Therefore, it's important for everyone to be able to use their brain to dissect whether or not what they're being told is real or not. This is such an important skill that so many people seem to lack these days.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Similar counting method to how Trump counted the people at his Presidential Inauguration. 

Probably also similar to how many people he claims to have at his rallys. Empty chairs are people too right?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Hiw Elon is counting those views is idiotic. He is counting essentially the amount of post related to the interview displayed to users. 

Essentially he can control those numbers by adjusting the algorithm to push those post to users that may just had scrolled pass it. 

It is not a view count, it is a display count. 😉 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Dude, 4 billion own a smartphone. I just looked it up. So a 1/4th of the entire world available watched it?

I don't doubt that there are 4 billion smartphones out there, but it doesn't represent 1/4 of the population, considering the UN even says that we are likely to reach 8.5 billion by 2030 (6 years out).

Population

Our growing population

The world’s population is more than three times larger than it was in the mid-twentieth century. The global human population reached 8.0 billion in mid-November 2022 from an estimated 2.5 billion people in 1950, adding 1 billion people since 2010 and 2 billion since 1998. The world’s population is expected to increase by nearly 2 billion persons in the next 30 years, from the current 8 billion to 9.7 billion in 2050 and could peak at nearly 10.4 billion in the mid-2080s.

The world in 2100

The world population is projected to reach 8.5 billion in 2030, and to increase further to 9.7 billion in 2050 and 10.4 billion by 2100. As with any type of projection, there is a degree of uncertainty surrounding these latest population projections. These figures are based on the medium projection variant, which assumes a decline of fertility for countries where large families are still prevalent, as well as a slight increase of fertility in several countries with fewer than two children per woman on average. Survival prospects are also projected to improve in all countries.

https://www.un.org/en/global-issues/population

Sorry, not trying to cause you trouble personally, just keeping it real.  🙂 

15 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't doubt that there are 4 billion smartphones out there, but it doesn't represent 1/4 of the population, considering the UN even says that we are likely to reach 8.5 billion by 2030 (6 years out).

https://www.un.org/en/global-issues/population

Sorry, not trying to cause you trouble personally, just keeping it real.  🙂 

Not causing trouble at all. My premise is that 1 billion viewers is clearly bullshit. I do know the world population but I also know a good chunk of that world population would not have been able to view Musk and Trump's meeting. Even a good chunk of the people with smart phones wouldn't have been able to. lol

But, overall, I cut out half the world population that wouldn't have been able to view things even if they wanted to, so that would come to 1/4 of the entire world that would have been able to view it basically.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Somehow 73 million (even that is dubious) gets turned into 1 billion.  There were not 1 billion people viewing that dumpster fire.  Elon claims that there were 73 million views and then there were 4 million POSTS that then generated 1 billion views.  

A while back, Elon changed how things are "viewed" on Twitter.  If I remember correctly, someone scrolling past got counted as an impression.  

I have to confess, I have little understanding of how this works, but according to Google Xitter has about 370 million subscribers total. So apparently there were three times that many listening to the interview.....does that mean anyone can listen? How does that work?

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How is "legacy" media as right wingers call it irrelevant? Because bots?

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yep.....it's all about crowd size for Hair Gropenfuhrer....

....and apparently his fans as well.....even the ones who pretend they're not fans....:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Probably also similar to how many people he claims to have at his rallys. Empty chairs are people too right?

Intellectually, they're indistinguishable from his typical attendees.....

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Intellectually, they're indistinguishable from his typical attendees.....

Of course Elon would want people to equate bots and impressions to what's considered true.

Fortunately we aren't there yet

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I have to confess, I have little understanding of how this works, but according to Google Xitter has about 370 million subscribers total. So apparently there were three times that many listening to the interview.....does that mean anyone can listen? How does that work?

You can technically look at X without an account. That being said, that fact alone would not mean there were actually 1 billion different people viewing the content. For example, if you were logged out and listening, then logged in, you'd likely count as 2 listeners. Make a comment and refresh the screen? You're now yet another listener, etc.

So, let's say you get in a heated argument in the comments... you'd likely be a whole bunch of listeners at that point.