US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How is "legacy" media as right wingers call it irrelevant? Because bots?

Because there are more smartphones out there than tv’s. More people are getting their news from their smartphones and less from the tv. 

Literally 90% of all content on this site is from X. Vintage Canuck used to spend all day on CDC posting Twitter stuff. 

You can set up a Twitter space yourself and reach out to anyone in the world. You can’t do that on a tv.

ALL news is on X. Everything you want to see is on there. You literally don’t need the tv anymore. You can even watch European soccer on an app on your phone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You can technically look at X without an account. That being said, that fact alone would not mean there were actually 1 billion different people viewing the content. For example, if you were logged out and listening, then logged in, you'd likely count as 2 listeners. Make a comment and refresh the screen? You're now yet another listener, etc.

So, let's say you get in a heated argument in the comments... you'd likely be a whole bunch of listeners at that point.

I'm just going by what I see when I click on a tweet that someone has posted. Not that long ago, I could do so and I would see the original post and then the entire thread of comments.

That stopped a while back. Now I can view the original post, but nothing else. That's why I assumed you would need to be a subscriber to listen to that interview....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep.....it's all about crowd size for Hair Gropenfuhrer....

....and apparently his fans as well.....even the ones who pretend they're not fans....:classic_rolleyes:

Yup. Trump compensating for small fingers. 

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

ALL news is on X. Everything you want to see is on there. You literally don’t need the tv anymore. You can even watch European soccer on an app on your phone. 

I never use X for my news outside of the Ukraine War. There's too much propaganda there for me to consider it a credible news source overall and it's so easy to get sucked into echo chambers with it.

Even just using it for the Ukraine War I still have to be careful I find. I've had to block a number of accounts from my feed from both sides of the war who were clearly using fake numbers and spreading misinformation. I can't stress this enough: I have accounts blocked from BOTH sides.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Because there are more smartphones out there than tv’s. More people are getting their news from their smartphones and less from the tv. 

Literally 90% of all content on this site is from X. Vintage Canuck used to spend all day on CDC posting Twitter stuff. 

You can set up a Twitter space yourself and reach out to anyone in the world. You can’t do that on a tv.

Is X creating the content or pointing to another source?

Does X have reporters and analysts?

Does X go in depth?

Why you would want X to be the only true source of info is interesting tho.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Intellectually, they're indistinguishable from his typical attendees.....

I would say empty chairs are intellectually superior because they are less likely to do something stupid

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Late to the party haven't read all.

Anyway to know if...

-Billion views or Billion viewers?

-what is the avg length of 'view'?

-can they determine how many might be bots etc?

I ask this as Dana White (big Trump and Elon minion)  once claimed ....well, I'll let you read for yourself...

UFC's Dana White claims Power Slap league's social media popularity surpasses any other sport

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ufcs-dana-white-oddly-claims-power-slaps-following-surpasses-any-sport-planet

After being called out he had an angle apparently, he meant 'views'...

Nobody cares about Power Slap and this dork is thinking it's more popular than ...."Even more than Real Madrid"

Dont trust that social media too much there EP. 😉

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm just going by what I see when I click on a tweet that someone has posted. Not that long ago, I could do so and I would see the original post and then the entire thread of comments.

That stopped a while back. Now I can view the original post, but nothing else. That's why I assumed you would need to be a subscriber to listen to that interview....

Yeah, thats what I thought too.

I dont click on links to twitter anymore because of that, as I dont have an account. 

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Late to the party haven't read all.

Anyway to know if...

-Billion views or Billion viewers?

-what is the avg length of 'view'?

-can they determine how many might be bots etc?

I ask this as Dana White (big Trump and Elon minion)  once claimed ....well, I'll let you read for yourself...

UFC's Dana White claims Power Slap league's social media popularity surpasses any other sport

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ufcs-dana-white-oddly-claims-power-slaps-following-surpasses-any-sport-planet

After being called out he had an angle apparently, he meant 'views'...

Nobody cares about Power Slap and this dork is thinking it's more popular than ...."Even more than Real Madrid"

Dont trust that social media too much there EP. 😉

Is that just dudes slapping each other?

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Is that just dudes slapping each other?

Can you believe it got santioned?

Yes, dudes stand there and take turns slapping each other until one is knocked out. No defense allowed. 

It's the worst thing. Poor big dudes getting paid to receive CTE. And some of these guys are poor, big men, most nobody have heard of looking for a cheque.

I bet it does get lots of views, quick ones. Kids click to watch a 10sec clip, the knock outs.

Thats why I asked those qualifying questions of EP. I'm sure he will clear things up...

Cause nobody is really watching or caring about Power Slap, but Dana would have you believe its more popular than soccer in the world. 

• chaos 1

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And this could be the case, which would mean those viewers not logged in would count as 1 each provided they aren't refreshing their screens in any way.

That being said, anyone logged in and viewing, reading, or posting comments... likely are the bulk of the viewership due to more potential "refreshings" of the content.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Can you believe it got santioned?

Yes, dudes stand there and take turns slapping each other until one is knocked out. No defense allowed. 

It's the worst thing. Poor big dudes getting paid to receive CTE. And some of these guys are poor, big men, most nobody have heard of looking for a cheque.

I bet it does get lots of views, quick ones. Kids click to watch a 10sec clip, the knock outs.

Thats why I asked those qualifying questions of EP. I'm sure he will clear things up...

Cause nobody is really watching or caring about Power Slap, but Dana would have you believe its more popular than soccer in the world. 

wow, really going for that lowest common denominator sport there. What a stupid concept. 

But, we can watch it on X so it's all good. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wow, really going for that lowest common denominator sport there. What a stupid concept. 

But, we can watch it on X so it's all good. 

I've said it before...

Dana White is one of the worst dudes out there.

He is a real close friend of Trumps. Think he does Trumps intros for his speeches at the RNC conferences. 

Both dirt bags, that hang out with dirt bags and both....the biggest liars I have ever read about.

In mma circles Dana is a massive joke but he has control on so many fighters with his disgusting business practices... 

Some fighters got together and are having success in a $1.6 Billion anti-trust lawsuit though

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They had 1 billion views last night.  That's alot of people.  Don't care what anyone says.  X is more powerful than all the legacy media combined...

Mark Cuban said it best: X has more impact globally than domestically, 20% of US adults are on twitter, 80% aren't. 

Billion is a nice round number too...or did Elon just round up to the nearest 10 million? I mean when you're fulll of it, why not?

Numbers that big have been my theme for a few days.

Beware...

Evil. 

Edit: oh i do see the ~ now...rounded

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Twitter reaches way more people than the TV.  That's not even up for a debate.  You'd have to be pretty clueless to think otherwise.  I mean, every single person on the planet has a smartphone with the Twitter app on it.  

CNN has approximately 700,000 viewers in primetime.  That's slightly less than 1 billion...

Cable News Network (CNN) Ratings (ustvdb.com)

Weird, I have a smartphone but no Twitter app.  My dad doesn't even have a smartphone.  Most of my friends also don't have the Twitter app.  I wasn't aware I'd been kidnapped to colonize Mars.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Another story about the pending lawsuit against Muskcovite and Drumpf;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-s-x-interview-comes-back-to-haunt-him-as-united-auto-workers-file-labor-complaint/ar-AA1oJke6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f6823c76712496daef171ea4f0e771d&ei=53

"

Former President Donald Trump's interview with X CEO Elon Musk is coming back to haunt him.

The United Auto Workers on Tuesday said that they were filing a formal complaint against Trump after he heaped praise on Musk for crushing his employees' efforts to form a union at his companies.

"I mean, I look at what you do,” Trump told Musk during their lengthy conversation. “You walk in, you say, You want to quit? They go on strike, I won’t mention the name of the company, but they go on strike and you say, That’s OK, you’re all gone. You’re all gone. So, every one of you is gone!”

The UAW said that it viewed the exchange as an effort to illegally intimidate workers who have rights under the law to organize unions.

"Under federal law, workers cannot be fired for going on strike, and threatening to do so is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act," wrote the UAW on Musk's own platform, the social media website formerly known as Twitter.

In a formal statement, UAW President Shawn Fain took another shot at Trump.

"When we say Donald Trump is a scab, this is what we mean," Fain said. "When we say Trump stands against everything our union stands for, this is what we mean. Donald Trump will always side against workers standing up for themselves, and he will always side with billionaires like Elon Musk, who is contributing $45 million a month to a Super PAC to get him elected. Both Trump and Musk want working-class people to sit down and shut up, and they laugh about it openly. It’s disgusting, illegal, and totally predictable from these two clowns."

Trump has tried to lure union workers away from the Democratic Party, but so far the UAW and other major unions have resisted his entreati

The more Trump keeps blabbering his mouth like this, the more likely he'll lose voters. I have a feeling that we're at a point where those people who were on the fence about Trump have likely already made up their mind one way or another. If anything, it's more likely people are going to turn against Trump than suddenly be for Trump.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Another story about the pending lawsuit against Muskcovite and Drumpf;

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-s-x-interview-comes-back-to-haunt-him-as-united-auto-workers-file-labor-complaint/ar-AA1oJke6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3f6823c76712496daef171ea4f0e771d&ei=53

"

Former President Donald Trump's interview with X CEO Elon Musk is coming back to haunt him.

The United Auto Workers on Tuesday said that they were filing a formal complaint against Trump after he heaped praise on Musk for crushing his employees' efforts to form a union at his companies.

"I mean, I look at what you do,” Trump told Musk during their lengthy conversation. “You walk in, you say, You want to quit? They go on strike, I won’t mention the name of the company, but they go on strike and you say, That’s OK, you’re all gone. You’re all gone. So, every one of you is gone!”

The UAW said that it viewed the exchange as an effort to illegally intimidate workers who have rights under the law to organize unions.

"Under federal law, workers cannot be fired for going on strike, and threatening to do so is illegal under the National Labor Relations Act," wrote the UAW on Musk's own platform, the social media website formerly known as Twitter.

In a formal statement, UAW President Shawn Fain took another shot at Trump.

"When we say Donald Trump is a scab, this is what we mean," Fain said. "When we say Trump stands against everything our union stands for, this is what we mean. Donald Trump will always side against workers standing up for themselves, and he will always side with billionaires like Elon Musk, who is contributing $45 million a month to a Super PAC to get him elected. Both Trump and Musk want working-class people to sit down and shut up, and they laugh about it openly. It’s disgusting, illegal, and totally predictable from these two clowns."

Trump has tried to lure union workers away from the Democratic Party, but so far the UAW and other major unions have resisted his entreati

He just can't help himself from shooting himself in the foot.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Weird, I have a smartphone but no Twitter app.  My dad doesn't even have a smartphone.  Most of my friends also don't have the Twitter app.  I wasn't aware I'd been kidnapped to colonize Mars.

I don't have twitter, nor do most people I know

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't have twitter, nor do most people I know

This is what I was trying to figure out....could I have listened to that interview without logging into Xitter? If not, I can't see how they'd possibly get a billion listeners....:classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Is X creating the content or pointing to another source?

Does X have reporters and analysts?

Does X go in depth?

Why you would want X to be the only true source of info is interesting tho.

There are many independent journalists on X who produce their own content. You can follow them and you can also follow CNN and Reuters too. It gives you an option. The more options the better IMO. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Billion is a nice round number too...or did Elon just round up to the nearest 10 million? I mean when you're fulll of it, why not?

Numbers that big have been my theme for a few days.

Beware...

Evil. 

Edit: oh i do see the ~ now...rounded

Whatever the number was it was Bigly. I mean it was Huge. It was the biggest and highest number really. It was so Big that it broke all the records. 

Make sure you read that in Trump’s voice.  🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Twitter reaches way more people than the TV.  That's not even up for a debate.  You'd have to be pretty clueless to think otherwise.  I mean, every single person on the planet has a smartphone with the Twitter app on it.  

CNN has approximately 700,000 viewers in primetime.  That's slightly less than 1 billion...

Cable News Network (CNN) Ratings (ustvdb.com)

The irony of calling people clueless while believing there was actually a billion unique viewers tuned in to watch Trump lisp off his usual grievances followed by Musk going "oh um yeah hmm yeah yeah look into that umm yeah for sure". 

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm not sure how Fox could manipulate it, other than to maybe try to get her off her game with a hissing audience. 

Isn't the first one on ABC tho? 

Fox won't fact check, cut off Trump's mic when it's not his turn to speak or when he's run past his turn, etc. It would be pretty easy for them to do. There's a reason that he's only agreeing to do debates if the first one is hosted by Fox. 

It reminds me of a kid I grew up with. We picked teams for soccer at recess, then immediately after the game began he started dribbled the wrong way while declaring a) he had traded himself to the other team and then, after scoring on what should've been his own net, b) that it was next goal wins all along and, finally, c) he was now taking his ball and leaving. 

It was a huge wtf moment.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I've said it before...

Dana White is one of the worst dudes out there.

He is a real close friend of Trumps. Think he does Trumps intros for his speeches at the RNC conferences. 

Both dirt bags, that hang out with dirt bags and both....the biggest liars I have ever read about.

In mma circles Dana is a massive joke but he has control on so many fighters with his disgusting business practices... 

Some fighters got together and are having success in a $1.6 Billion anti-trust lawsuit though

I think he's a joke in all circles after that video surfaced of him hitting shamelessly hitting his old lady. In public. Can't even imagine how bad she gets it in the privacy of their home.

Edited by Olli Juolevi
  • ThereItIs 3