US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Thats an interesting thing to say/publicize where did you read that?

CNN

Tim Walz was in the midst of his interview with Vice President Kamala Harris’ vetting team when he told them there was something important they needed to know.

He doesn’t use a teleprompter, the Minnesota governor said. He doesn’t even have one, in fact. So if he was the pick, Walz said, Harris’ team would have to get him a teleprompter and teach him how to use it.

It was a lighter moment, but it was also part of an interview process with Harris’ team that Walz aced, multiple sources familiar with the meeting told CNN. The Minnesota governor was upfront about his vulnerabilities, noting he wasn’t from a swing state or a household name. He also said he was a bad debater.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/06/politics/tim-walz-inside-harris-vp-pick

The article mentions he quickly got used to a teleprompter but debating is a tougher skill to master.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

CNN

Tim Walz was in the midst of his interview with Vice President Kamala Harris’ vetting team when he told them there was something important they needed to know.

He doesn’t use a teleprompter, the Minnesota governor said. He doesn’t even have one, in fact. So if he was the pick, Walz said, Harris’ team would have to get him a teleprompter and teach him how to use it.

It was a lighter moment, but it was also part of an interview process with Harris’ team that Walz aced, multiple sources familiar with the meeting told CNN. The Minnesota governor was upfront about his vulnerabilities, noting he wasn’t from a swing state or a household name. He also said he was a bad debater.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/06/politics/tim-walz-inside-harris-vp-pick

The article mentions he quickly got used to a teleprompter but debating is a tougher skill to master.

All he has to be is genuine and tell the truth.  If he doesn't have answers he needs to admit that.  Simple.

That will leave Vance to talk out of his ass and have Walz pin him to the ground 

The problem with liars and bullshitters is eventually they get caught and have no recourse.  All you need to do is let them talk enough to make themselves look stupid.

it's coming

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

All he has to be is genuine and tell the truth.  If he doesn't have answers he needs to admit that.  Simple.

That will leave Vance to talk out of his ass and have Walz pin him to the ground 

The problem with liars and bullshitters is eventually they get caught and have no recourse.  All you need to do is let them talk enough to make themselves look stupid.

it's coming

I doubt it's going to matter. The VP debate is clearly the undercard that no one really cares about.

Think back to the Harris vs Pence debate. Does anyone remember anything at all about that debate apart from when a fly took up residence on Pence's head for so long it owed him rent.

5f7e77a5282c500018c79433.webp.ca04f82b639474452b50046224eb77d5.webp

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/third-of-republicans-believe-fbi-was-behind-trump-assassination-attempt/ar-AA1oR2eF?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3e3498ac0e3c4efb82ec57d3eb9bf1bd&ei=85

"

An independent poll shows that one-third of Republican supporters believe the FBI was behind the recent assassination attempt on Donald Trump.

Knewz.com has learned that even though the ensuing investigation proved that the late Thomas Matthew Crooks was acting alone, less than half of surveyed Republicans have since accepted the finding—believing instead that the incident was the result of an unseen deep state force.

“It’s high but it’s also not surprising, because you find what we call perceptual biases because of partisan conflict and polarization, and we saw the same kind of thing with regard to who won the 2020 election,” Columbia University’s Professor Robert Shapiro told the United Kingdom’s Daily Mail.

--------------

much more at link

• Haha 1

Harris plans tax breaks for builders constructing houses for 1st time buyers, 3m new homes

• Vice President Kamala Harris

Vice President Kamala Harris will call for the construction of 3 million new housing units in her first four years in office, as well as a new tax incentive for builders that construct properties for first-time home buyers

The Wall Street Journal with the report. The housing plan is part of Harris' economic plan, which she is expected to address in a speech in Raleigh, N.C., on Friday.

• Upvote 1

The tipping point has been the SS closure of an important road due to "security concerns".  One can dream

https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/story/news/local/2024/08/14/what-to-know-as-palm-beach-to-review-closing-trumps-mar-a-lago-club/74787451007/

What to know as Palm Beach reviews possible Mar-a-Lago Club closure

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The tipping point has been the SS closure of an important road due to "security concerns".  One can dream

https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/story/news/local/2024/08/14/what-to-know-as-palm-beach-to-review-closing-trumps-mar-a-lago-club/74787451007/

What to know as Palm Beach reviews possible Mar-a-Lago Club closure

Hey- Drumpf get ready to pay higher taxes, as your 'club' loophole is about to be gone.

Won't stop him from bitchin- even though he argued it was worth more, while scamming the banks for a loan.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Seriously? :classic_huh:

I hate to break it to you, but "the rest of the world" (with the exception of Russia and maybe Israel) thinks you yanks are insane for even considering Bone Spurs a viable candidate.

If we could all vote, Harris would completely obliterate Trump. The Dems would have large majorities in the House and Senate too....

That's true about at least the western democracies and Harris/Modern Democrats, buuuut...

If the rest of the world was able to homogenize the US into what they want us to be, we never would have accomplished what we accomplished and we wouldn't be who we are, and be the big baddies who keep aggressors in check.  Post WW2 Europe was partially tamed because we were the big bad as*holes who faced down the Soviet Union.  Then post-1991 much of Europe got comfortable and let their armed forces deteriorate so that's come back to bite us.  It also doesn't help that Europe has a habit of being lazy when they think they are at peace, as they found out at the outset of WW2. 

Thank God national votes are kept inside the borders since they're national votes.  It's one of the reasons why I'm concerned about South Americans coming over the border en masse and being pandered to, then refusing to melt into current society.  I'd rather we didn't have millions of people trying to turn us into the same sh*thole they just escaped from.

• chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Thank God national votes are kept inside the borders since they're national votes.  It's one of the reasons why I'm concerned about South Americans coming over the border en masse and being pandered to, then refusing to melt into current society.  I'd rather we didn't have millions of people trying to turn us into the same sh*thole they just escaped from.

I have no political or psychological/philosophical basis for what I'm about to say, but I would think that the fact that they sought to escape a shithole regime would suggest that they probably don't agree with the shithole regime, and are unlikely to construct a similar shithole regime in the new place they're trying to adopt as their new home... no?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I doubt it's going to matter. The VP debate is clearly the undercard that no one really cares about.

Think back to the Harris vs Pence debate. Does anyone remember anything at all about that debate apart from when a fly took up residence on Pence's head for so long it owed him rent.

5f7e77a5282c500018c79433.webp.ca04f82b639474452b50046224eb77d5.webp

Oh, I don't know....as I recall it, there was quite a lot of buzz about the debate....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I have no political or psychological/philosophical basis for what I'm about to say, but I would think that the fact that they sought to escape a shithole regime would suggest that they probably don't agree with the shithole regime, and are unlikely to construct a similar shithole regime in the new place they're trying to adopt as their new home... no?

You would think, but when I lived in the Southwest, there were still millions of Mexicans crossing into the US, and most that I knew still very much considered themselves Mexicans.  All you have to do is look at Southern part of California during those years.  I gave Southern California a wide berth. 

Also, look at all of the people bum rushing Austin Texas from California.  They brought with them many of the same problems that they didn't like in California.

Edited by Sabrefan1

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Agreed.

As I see it, a single mom from Honduras doesn't arrive in El Paso and think to herself, "You know what this town needs? Some Favelas".....

30 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's one of the reasons why I'm concerned about South Americans coming over the border en masse and being pandered to, then refusing to melt into current society.  I'd rather we didn't have millions of people trying to turn us into the same sh*thole they just escaped from.

Canada says hold my beer. 

21 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You would think, but when I lived in the Southwest, there were still millions of Mexicans crossing into the US, and most that I knew still very much considered themselves Mexicans.  All you have to do is look at Southern part of California during those years.  I gave Southern California a wide berth. 

Also, look at all of the people bum rushing Austin Texas from California.  They brought with them many of the same problems that they didn't like in California.

I don't think people who shit in their nest should be able to fly away to Texas before paying the bill. Californies are doing that by the millions. 

30 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Agreed.

As I see it, a single mom from Honduras doesn't arrive in El Paso and think to herself, "You know what this town needs? Some Favelas".....

My actual lived experience says otherwise.  I went with 15-20 people I knew to a Filipino restaurant owned by Filipinos.  A table of 3 Filipinos didn't like that a bunch of white people had come in.  We had visited there plenty of times before and we were always good to the staff and other customers and always ordered plenty of food and drink and tipped well.

Even so, after that table of 3 Filipinos ,who were the aggressors, started trouble with us, we got booted.  We were the Americans among Filipinos.  Unfortunately for the people in that restaurant, a few in our group were local LEO's.  They got angry especially since one of them was the guy getting the brunt of the crap.  I grabbed him and said loudly enough to try and calm things down while also getting my shot in, "Calm down, let's go, you'll see them while you're on patrol outside of here off of their property."  The guy behind the bar then tried to be nice and the 3 guys at the table sat down and shut up.  Of course we left and never came back and that place never saw another LEO customer.  I wasn't good friends with any of the cops/LEO's that were in our group that night but I don't think they really did anything after, besides get the restaurant blacklisted and probably visited by the health dept. once or twice over the next few months.

Then there was the last apartment complex that I lived in.  I rented because I knew that I wasn't going to live there long-term.  This speaks to the lawlessness.  The final owners of that complex told the manager that their priority was to keep occupancy as close to 100% as possible.  So the easiest way to do that was to open the complex up to illegals.  It didn't take long before my car windows were getting smashed and my car radios and other electronics stolen overnight.  People moved out of there fast to get away from what was happening.  Personally, I accelerated my plans to move back to Buffalo and go back into the family business that I had left for some years and I got out of that state entirely.

So basically, yes.  People are people.  They don't immediately change their stripes just because they change their location.  If you are accustomed to and comfortable with a sh*tty lifestyle and that's all that you know, you will bring that lifestyle wherever you go.

Edited by Sabrefan1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/third-of-republicans-believe-fbi-was-behind-trump-assassination-attempt/ar-AA1oR2eF?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3e3498ac0e3c4efb82ec57d3eb9bf1bd&ei=85

"

An independent poll shows that one-third of Republican supporters believe the FBI was behind the recent assassination attempt on Donald Trump.

Knewz.com has learned that even though the ensuing investigation proved that the late Thomas Matthew Crooks was acting alone, less than half of surveyed Republicans have since accepted the finding—believing instead that the incident was the result of an unseen deep state force.

“It’s high but it’s also not surprising, because you find what we call perceptual biases because of partisan conflict and polarization, and we saw the same kind of thing with regard to who won the 2020 election,” Columbia University’s Professor Robert Shapiro told the United Kingdom’s Daily Mail.

--------------

much more at link

1/3? Now pillow guy makes so much sense. 

• ThereItIs 1