US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

OMG "The Kamala Crash" 🤪

US stocks hit fresh highs today. Nasdaq up 12% from last Monday

US stock market close: Best run for the Nasdaq since 2022

Nasdaq up 9% in six sessions

Wasn't Kreskin in here just last week telling us the stock market was about to crash?

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My actual lived experience says otherwise.  I went with 15-20 people I knew to a Filipino restaurant owned by Filipinos.  A table of 3 Filipinos didn't like that a bunch of white people had come in.  We had visited there plenty of times before and we were always good to the staff and other customers and always ordered plenty of food and drink and tipped well.

Even so, after that table of 3 Filipinos ,who were the aggressors, started trouble with us, we got booted.  We were the Americans among Filipinos.  Unfortunately for the people in that restaurant, a few in our group were local LEO's.  They got angry especially since one of them was the guy getting the brunt of the crap.  I grabbed him and said loudly enough to try and calm things down while also getting my shot in, "Calm down, let's go, you'll see them while you're on patrol outside of here off of their property."  The guy behind the bar then tried to be nice and the 3 guys at the table sat down and shut up.  Of course we left and never came back and that place never saw another LEO customer.  I wasn't good friends with any of the cops/LEO's that were in our group that night but I don't think they really did anything after, besides get the restaurant blacklisted and probably visited by the health dept. once or twice over the next few months.

Then there was the last apartment complex that I lived in.  I rented because I knew that I wasn't going to live there long-term.  This speaks to the lawlessness.  The final owners of that complex told the manager that their priority was to keep occupancy as close to 100% as possible.  So the easiest way to do that was to open the complex up to illegals.  It didn't take long before my car windows were getting smashed and my car radios and other electronics stolen overnight.  People moved out of there fast to get away from what was happening.  Personally, I accelerated my plans to move back to Buffalo and go back into the family business that I had left for some years and got out of that state entirely.

So basically, yes.  People are people.  They don't immediately change their stripes just because they change their location.  If you are accustomed to and comfortable with a sh*tty lifestyle and that's all that you know, you will bring that lifestyle wherever you go.

Ah well, you had a bad experience once....that must make you right. :classic_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Ah well, you had a bad experience once....that must make you right. :classic_rolleyes:

I was going to say, way to paint an entire people in a negative light based on a couple bad experiences. Not that I haven't experienced culture clashes from time to time but I grew up with a bunch of Filipinos, never experienced anything like that. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My actual lived experience says otherwise.  I went with 15-20 people I knew to a Filipino restaurant owned by Filipinos.  A table of 3 Filipinos didn't like that a bunch of white people had come in.  We had visited there plenty of times before and we were always good to the staff and other customers and always ordered plenty of food and drink and tipped well.

Even so, after that table of 3 Filipinos ,who were the aggressors, started trouble with us, we got booted.  We were the Americans among Filipinos.  Unfortunately for the people in that restaurant, a few in our group were local LEO's.  They got angry especially since one of them was the guy getting the brunt of the crap.  I grabbed him and said loudly enough to try and calm things down while also getting my shot in, "Calm down, let's go, you'll see them while you're on patrol outside of here off of their property."  The guy behind the bar then tried to be nice and the 3 guys at the table sat down and shut up.  Of course we left and never came back and that place never saw another LEO customer.  I wasn't good friends with any of the cops/LEO's that were in our group that night but I don't think they really did anything after, besides get the restaurant blacklisted and probably visited by the health dept. once or twice over the next few months.

Then there was the last apartment complex that I lived in.  I rented because I knew that I wasn't going to live there long-term.  This speaks to the lawlessness.  The final owners of that complex told the manager that their priority was to keep occupancy as close to 100% as possible.  So the easiest way to do that was to open the complex up to illegals.  It didn't take long before my car windows were getting smashed and my car radios and other electronics stolen overnight.  People moved out of there fast to get away from what was happening.  Personally, I accelerated my plans to move back to Buffalo and go back into the family business that I had left for some years and got out of that state entirely.

So basically, yes.  People are people.  They don't immediately change their stripes just because they change their location.  If you are accustomed to and comfortable with a sh*tty lifestyle and that's all that you know, you will bring that lifestyle wherever you go.

that kind of stuff happens all over. I'm sure some of the Filipino's have their own stories of discrimination in a store or restaurant. 

Even I've had it up here in Vancouver. Years ago a rental building I was in got new building management who catered to mainland Chinese people (much of the building was from that group). The building manager refused to speak English to me, even though he could (heard him on the phone in the office talking to contractors I believe). Yes it sucked, but I moved out of there soon after. 

You run into assholes from all cultures. Not sure its really an immigration problem as much as a jerk problem.

• Thanks 1

More than once or twice.  Those 2 stories were just 2 of the final straws.  If I keep going, I'll be called a bigot and racist and any other name people here can come up with. 

The Filipino story was aggravating because I had a crapload of Filipino friends that I enjoyed spending time with, but they weren't the least bit surprised when I discussed what happened that night with them.  That was just disappointing. 

Couldnt help but think that too.

My first aid course earlier this year was taught by a firefighter from edm, he had put in 16 years and decided to move out to the westcoast.

He and his wife took a year off to RV around the US. He said it was amazing until he got to Texas where he cut the trip short. 

He's black. He said that the racism that they felt was too much so they came home early. No problem down the west coast but once they got to Texas things changed. 

Just a counter story that shows a diff pov. 

i was in Austin once playing at a SXSW music fest, that place seems solid. All walks of life. 

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I was going to say, way to paint an entire people in a negative light based on a couple bad experiences. Not that I haven't experienced culture clashes from time to time but I grew up with a bunch of Filipinos, never experienced anything like that. 

Neither had I until that night.  To say I was dumbfounded would be an understatement. 

The Filipinos that I was friends with said that they knew enough Filipinos that were lowkey the same when it came to other nationalities than their own.  From what I'm told, I guess it's mostly among the men.  They have issues that Filipino women marry non-Filipino men.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

More than once or twice.  Those 2 stories were just 2 of the final straws.  If I keep going, I'll be called a bigot and racist and any other name people here can come up with. 

The Filipino story was aggravating because I had a crapload of Filipino friends that I enjoyed spending time with, but they weren't the least bit surprised when I discussed what happened that night with them.  That was just disappointing. 

Who knows? Maybe Trump is right and the US only gets the asshole immigrants.

I work with four Filipinos and they're all extremely polite. In fact, I get a bit tired of having to type you're welcome, every time I perform some menial task for one of them.

Of course, I'm not demanding that they stop speaking Tagalog amongst themselves....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Couldnt help but think that too.

My first aid course earlier this year was taught by a firefighter from edm, he had put in 16 years and decided to move out to the westcoast.

He and his wife took a year off to RV around the US. He said it was amazing until he got to Texas where he cut the trip short. 

He's black. He said that the racism that they felt was too much so they came home early. No problem down the west coast but once they got to Texas things changed. 

i was in Austin once playing at a SXSW music fest, that place seems solid. All walks of life. 

Canada is a different culture than the US.  Especially the US of the late 90's-early 00's.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

neat, you must have been pretty good.

I've been to Austin twice, love that place. But I haven't been there since Joe Rogan took the place over, maybe he's fucked it up. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Canada is a different culture than the US.  Especially the US of the late 90's-early 00's.

I was in Austin in '95.

I guess my firefighter story is also pointing out that the homeground racism is still a problem in your country but all we hear about is these illegals causing all the problems. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Who knows? Maybe Trump is right and the US only gets the asshole immigrants.

I work with four Filipinos and they're all extremely polite. In fact, I get a bit tired of having to type you're welcome, every time I perform some menial task for one of them.

Of course, I'm not demanding that they stop speaking Tagalog amongst themselves....

My top 2 foreign born people in the Southwest back then were Thailand and Filipinos.  In that order.  Loved Pacific Islanders, but most of the ones I knew were already considered US citizens from birth, so I didn't know enough non-US Islanders to form an opinion.

I don't dislike Filipinos.  Far from it.  That story was the first example that came to mind.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

neat, you must have been pretty good.

I've been to Austin twice, love that place. But I haven't been there since Joe Rogan took the place over, maybe he's fucked it up. 

What a great day it was.

We opened for a band called Girls Against Boys in the evening.

The daytime show was poorly attended, it was out back where they had bbq pit. Maybe 50 people watching a band that was starting to make waves called Sublime.

I watched that show with a guy I had just met named Page, he was from a band i loved called Helmet.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just caught this part now.  I think I responded to the earlier part of your post already.  To be fair, I haven't stepped foot in Texas since before Californians started moving there so most of what I go on is what I've read and seen videos of.  I took an interest in Austin when Californians and others started moving there to escape their home states.  I've been curious to see if people would melt in or take over.  From what I've read and seen, it's been more of a take over.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My top 2 foreign born people in the Southwest back then were Thailand and Filipinos.  In that order.  Loved Pacific Islanders, but most of the ones I knew were already considered US citizens from birth, so I didn't know enough non-US Islanders to form an opinion.

I don't dislike Filipinos.  Far from it.  That story was the first example that came to mind.

The nationality is irrelevant, IMO. What you appear to be doing is basing your opinion of all immigrants based on one or two bad experiences with minorities.

My experience has been nothing but positive and I work with Filipinos, Indians, a Korean and a Brazilian. All seem to have adapted to Canadian life and culture quite well.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Just caught this part now.  I think I responded to the earlier part of your post already.  To be fair, I haven't stepped foot in Texas since before Californians started moving there so most of what I go on is what I've read and seen videos of.  I took an interest in Austin when Californians and others started moving there to escape their home states.  I've been curious to see if people would melt in or take over.  From what I've read and seen, it's been more of a take over.

I thought Austin had always been progressive, if thats the right word.

Lots of art and culture. All the folks were soo nice. They still had that Texas pride, lots of Texas/lone star tattoos but they were, again all walks of life, colour and creed.

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was in Austin in '95.

I guess my firefighter story is also pointing out that the homeground racism is still a problem in your country but all we hear about is these illegals causing all the problems. 

My first story wasn't about illegals.  The 2nd was.  I even self-censored some more stuff partially because it had nothing to do with my point and partially so people wouldn't flip out and accuse me of being racist and whatever else came to mind.

6 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My first story wasn't about illegals.  The 2nd was.  I even self-censored some more stuff partially because it had nothing to do with my point and partially so people wouldn't flip out and accuse me of being racist and whatever else came to mind.

I don't think it's racist to tell a real story from your life. 

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The nationality is irrelevant, IMO. What you appear to be doing is basing your opinion of all immigrants based on one or two bad experiences with minorities.

Way more than one or two.  I went out a lot.  To be fair, the good experiences far outweigh the bad.  In fact, I still keep in touch over Facebook with some of the people I knew from back then.  For years they kept bugging me to come back before finally accepting that my home is Buffalo.

My experiences have little to do with my immigration opinion.  If I was that shallow, I'd be one the MAGA's running around complaining about the "Dirty Mexicans".

My experience has been nothing but positive and I work with Filipinos, Indians, a Korean and a Brazilian. All seem to have adapted to Canadian life and culture quite well.

Like I said earlier, 95% or better of my experiences were positive.  My best friend back then was Eastern European.  I keep thinking about contacting him to see what he's up to, but he and his wife were in a bad part of their life the last I knew and I don't know if that changed him or not and I'd just rather keep the good memories I have of him.

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

sure, I was talking generally as in we hear a lot about illegals from all sources, not just your one story.

Yet your country has a real problem with home grown racism as we are seeing with some of the right-wing support. Its been going on for way too long

And it's not just towards these illegal people... ex:"jews will not replace us"

And , again, my post was just showing another POV of places along your border.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think it's racist to tell a real story from your life.

Some people do.  That's why I picked a fairly mild one that still fit my point.  Honestly I knew more born US citizens that were as*holes than I did Filipinos.

If I had the choice of living in the poorest and crappiest neighborhoods in Ohio or going to live in the Philippines, I'd take the Philippines 10 times out of 10.

• Like 1