US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The uproar is funny when for a lot of people this is the extent their experience with tacos.  And for some, the seasoning contained in the pack is too spicy that they have a mild version.  Nope, just Walz being "reverse racist" or something.

r/PoliticalHumor - Who wants tacos!

So fun fact.  When you're cooking your hamburger or chicken for this.  Add some cumin and cayenne pepper; if hamburger; worcestershire sauce; if chicken add lime.  Absolutely different and more authentic flavour profile

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If arguments on here cannot be refuted then the name calling starts. 

d258cf15d381307b2e8902df28c17b96_w200.gi

Not sure what name calling appeared in my post there?  Or am I not drinking enough to see it?

(before anyone claims I'm clowning an alkie, drinking enough water is what I'm referring to - my eyes get dry and my sight becomes blurred when I don't drink enough water)

6 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This better be hammered hard.

But for the same reason the Trump leaks are somehow not worth looking at in the same way the Clinton leaks were; I have a feeling it will be ignored.

My fond hope is that Kamala has all of this stuff that keeps cropping up on hand for the debates, and when Trump says he doesn't know them or anything about them, has the follow up photos and videos of him with these people he knows nothing about.

Like she should the project 2025 team trump swears he is ignorant about

Anyone that understands bots...

I have  a question.

The China bot wasn't just a bot, right?

They must have bot-jockeys, a human that feeds the Ai and posts the responses?

The Bot in question was going back and cleaning up (editing) some posts. For example, I quoted a post that had a summary of the Ai response left at the bottom. It's still there in my quoted post but the 'bot' removed it from it's OP. It even made the joke ' i plead the5th' or something when I asked twice.

So, am i right? it's not just striaght up Ai correct? A human is there too?

Sry, Luddite here.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have  a question.

The Bot in question was going back and cleaning up (editing) some posts. For example, I quoted a post that had a summary of the Ai response left at the bottom. It's still there in my quoted post but the 'bot' removed it from it's OP. It even made the joke ' i plead the5th' or something when I asked twice.

Sry, Luddite here.

He obviously edited response from ai.

It is not a bot per say. You need to have some api access to this site provided by admin to directly feed input and output to ai chat bots. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I have  a question.

Sry, Luddite here.

Logic suggests you're right - there is no direct means that I can think of for a bot to just barge right in, select specific posts to quote (or edit) and otherwise interact with other users by name.  There would have to be a human involved in the process somehow.

To be honest, I'd been thinking maybe smokes had made a visit but didn't want to reestablish their username here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

There are clearly more answers than what we've gotten given (a) there has been no report, and (b) the 2 hearings contained many no comment responses to valid+important questions. 

Even if for arguments sake there's nothing more too it, the castostrophic failure of the USSS is still a bigger story & these organizations clearly need to be re-evaluated if this is where they are at. This isn't a waiter forgetting your drink.

I don't think you appreciate how bad things could've gotten if he was successful, or maybe you just don't care cause it's Trump.

This is a crime investigation, finding motive is & has always been part-in-parcel of conducting an investigation. 

In this case I think the whole country wants to know the truth. I think your point applies to some other things, but even if it does I don't think that's a valid reason to not hide the truth.

Hiding truth only compounds issues in the long-run & will increase the divide imo. And I think the states are likely hopelessly divided anyways so.

Not being well isn't a motive as to why he commited this act as opposed to any other. John Hinckle Jr was not well & had a motive to shoot Reagan. And as I said it doesn't absolve the Secret Service, this is 3 billion dollar organization if there's no funny business & it's just this bad then perhaps it's unfit to exist in its current form.

I don't think we are going to agree. You seem to think Govt/Agencies are benevolent & well meaning, but they sometimes just make mistakes. I think that's naive especially for the US, and that they + the interests they are driven by are more concerned with their hold on power than helping the public or 'democracy'. We can agree to disagree.

Believe it or not, an absence of motive is not a mitigating circumstance. If you are accused and proven to have committed a crime and they can not determine motive, that does not dismiss you nor does it lower your sentence.

So your wanting to know of motive would be more from a public perspective standpoint. While you're right that some people want to know the truth, I'm just going to repeat myself from earlier. Why do they want to know the truth? Is it for their own confirmation bias or is each person willing to accept the answer even if they don't like it? If you don't like the answer, would you be willing to accept it? You obviously don't like the answer of "he is not well". What if it's not much more than that? I'm guessing you've never had to deal with having a mental illness.

Edit: Just to show I'm not giving you a BS argument, here's an article on how mental illness is treated in a court of law. I advise you to take extra time to look at just how many different disorders are out there and how each can ultimately influence someone's personality: https://www.sdap.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/research/criminal/psycheval.pdf

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Believe it or not, an absence of motive is not a mitigating circumstance. If you are accused and proven to have committed a crime and they can not determine motive, that does not dismiss you nor does it lower your sentence.

So your wanting to know of motive would be more from a public perspective standpoint. While you're right that some people want to know the truth, I'm just going to repeat myself from earlier. Why do they want to know the truth? Is it for their own confirmation bias or is each person willing to accept the answer even if they don't like it? If you don't like the answer, would you be willing to accept it? You obviously don't like the answer of "he is not well". What if it's not much more than that? I'm guessing you've never had to deal with having a mental illness.

Motive: unwell derpy kid wanted death by cop and to be famous. 

Harris economic plan is interesting, it does remind me of the Canadian left a bit in that its hard to know where the money will come from, but there are some easy to sell ideas here: https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/16/politics/harris-middle-class-tax-cuts-economic-policy/index.html

The home building and grocery price gouging ones will be very popular with the U40s. 

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Probably because women under 27 are put off by Luntz hairpiece". 🤣

Seriously though, I've been thinking this for months that there's going to be a hidden group voting against Trump and the GOP. The ones who likely have family members voting GOP, but they themselves are quietly planning to vote Democrat. Why? Because of Roe vs Wade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

IP addies all linked back to Beijing too, lol. 

Unless the locale is being used as a sole point of IP access (to monitor traffic and filter out "undesirable" communications), that would put the "smokes" theory on the shelf.  As I recall, that user "smokes" claimed to be in one of the lower profile cities/districts in the prc.

17 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

possibly a human using the AI to generate and then editing, or maybe just a copy and paste directly from AI but 50ish messages in 18 hours of that length and elocution was not a human being. I call them roller posters...usually it is a dupe farm like the Conservatives have used in Southwestern Ottawa neighbourhood for decades now, of real people paid to maintain and post the same script over and over onto multiple accounts across multiple social media platforms...this one seemed to be using a generator for in depth 'articles' but posting at a rate of  3 long winded diatribes an hour for 18 hours strait...and their first post was not a typical first post from any normal user here. 

ANywho, is what it was, I am almost 100% sure. IP addies all linked back to Beijing too, lol. 

Oh the speed of responses was impressive. Yes, the formatting and length was sus from the get go. 

I  think at that moment, today, it and handler were firmly focused our discussion. Using stock fodder I'm sure but someone was paying attention to little CFF fully imo. 

Responding rapid fire to multiple posters. 

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Unless the locale is being used as a sole point of IP access (to monitor traffic and filter out "undesirable" communications), that would put the "smokes" theory on the shelf.  As I recall, that user "smokes" claimed to be in one of the lower profile cities/districts in the prc.

Yeah, smokes said he was over there. I believed him too because he seemed weary of what to post on sensitive topics.

I guess my theory was that the poster today could have been anywhere in the world, perhaps a former or current member, but the ip was being bounced from China as that might be where the bot ip is?

Does that make any sense?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh the speed of responses was impressive. Yes, the formatting and length was sus from the get go. 

I  think at that moment, today, it and handler were firmly focused our discussion. Using stock fodder I'm sure but someone was paying attention to little CFF fully imo. 

Yeah the speed was an immediate giveaway.  I'm just grateful that the mods stamped it out quickly once they were made aware and we have a precedent set that this kind of thing won't be tolerated.  I'll report any in the future that I see now.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

my suspicion is armchairgm22 or 23 or however many dupe's he made over that week or so... has rethought his approach and is using a  Virtual IP address generator and an AI chat bot, to make his political posts.. the human writing was very similar in nature to armchair before he started just hurling epithets and expletives at people. 

I am going to stop commenting now on the moderation efforts, this was one of the rare ones i felt i should mention was at least in places using AI though. People are weird, weirdos specially...lol

• Thanks 3

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, smokes said he was over there. I believed him too because he seemed weary of what to post on sensitive topics.

I guess my theory was that the poster today could have been anywhere in the world, perhaps a former or current member, but the ip was being bounced from China as that might be where the bot ip is?

Does that make any sense?

Definitely - if the bot was in prc, and its handler was outside of the prc, it would make sense to route their traffic through the prc just for convenience sake of having bot-generated text quickly posted (with the added "benefit" of obfuscating the handler's "real" location)

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

my suspicion is armchairgm22 or 23 or however many dupe's he made over that week or so... has rethought his approach and is using a  Virtual IP address generator and an AI chat bot, to make his political posts.. the human writing was very similar in nature to armchair before he started just hurling epithets and expletives at people. 

I am going to stop commenting now on the moderation efforts, this was one of the rare ones i felt i should mention was at least in places using AI though. People are weird, weirdos specially...lol

You're expecting to be able to control "Decepticons"? 🥸  Pass on the "Matrix of Leadership" to Alflives Prime!🕵️‍♀️

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Harris economic plan is interesting, it does remind me of the Canadian left a bit in that its hard to know where the money will come from, but there are some easy to sell ideas here: https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/16/politics/harris-middle-class-tax-cuts-economic-policy/index.html

The home building and grocery price gouging ones will be very popular with the U40s. 

She really need to explain and give detail on that grocery price gouging one.