US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When CNN turned on Joe, Joe had to go. Is CNN now turning on Kamala?  Is the jig up?

Is there another switcheroo coming?  Is Petey really gonna go 2 for 2?

Calm down (and stop inflating your record).  They still love her.  They just aren't sold on this idea.

Harris’ plan to stop price gouging could create more problems than it solves

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/16/business/harris-price-gouging-ban-inflation/index.html

Oh, and Pelosi turned on Joe.  CNN just reported on it.   

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When CNN turned on Joe, Joe had to go. Is CNN now turning on Kamala?  Is the jig up?

Is there another switcheroo coming?  Is Petey really gonna go 2 for 2?

1 of 2 things most likely. 

1.  Incompetent reporting.

-or-

2.  It's not just Acosta at CNN that's upset that she's all but ignoring the media.

My guess is that those are the 2 most likely scenarios.  Others may disagree and/or have ideas of their own.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Conservative stalwart Bobo, waiting for her only fans account or to have her sex tape “stolen” and magically sold to Vivid.

IMG_3681.webp

Of course she has a large shitty tribal tattoo...im sure if she turned around we'd see a butterfly lower back tattoo....

58 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This is anecdotal and obviously from a guy who does business in Canada but I knew a guy for a while that owned a bunch of grocery stores.

He was also owned liquor stores, he lead a business group I was a memeber of. 

He spoke of stories about the grocery giants that werehorrendous. That they are all helping each other out. Said Kraft were one of the worst.

I know you have seen the diagrams of just how few companies own ALL the food. So, given what I learned from that dude and the fact that Canada just had a scandal, i am in support of Kamala knocking some heads on this. 

Yep.  Mandatory prison time for the C-level execs of any company guilty of price-gouging would solve the problem real fast.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You can push anything you want to.  The problem nowadays would be, you will be called out immediately by everyone if you propose something that continually fails when tried.

The Harris campaign is very aware of that so that's why I would think there's much more nuance to whatever is being proposed.  Or Harris, in an effort to look better as far as tabletop economics goes just went off script and is now regretting it.  We'll find out sooner or later.

I mean actually implement. There's no mechanism in the US to go commie.

But people are weird. They will kill themselves over culture war crap. I'll never forget the Trumpers who said that they would rather die than use Obamacare. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But people are weird. They will kill themselves over culture war crap. I'll never forget the Trumpers who said that they would rather die than use Obamacare. 

Keeping them alive with Obamacare is a waste of money, so I applaud their commitment to cutting out wasteful spending.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

SCOTUS ruling on Title IX.  It came in at a split of 5-4.  I wasn't paying attention to it, so I'm just posting a tweet about it for those of you that were.  The 4 were the 3 liberals and Neil Gorsuch.

Here's a pdf of the ruling in full...

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/23pdf/24a78_f2ah.pdf

I want to know what Gorsuch was smoking. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's the thing.  You can put forth any laws that you choose.  If others disagree and sue it eventually goes to the SCOTUS who decides whether what's proposed is constitutional or not.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

That's the thing.  You can put forth any laws that you choose.  If others disagree and sue it eventually goes to the SCOTUS who decides whether what's proposed is constitutional or not.

Going to be real interesting to see what happens if the Dems get complete control and follow through on their plan to denazify the SCOTUS.

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

34 states already have some sort of laws on their books about price gouging so it’s not completely out of ‘left’ field. Walgreens settled a suit with New York last year over jacking up their prices on baby formula after the recall that led to a nationwide shortage. We’ll have to wait to see what the actual legislation would look like.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Exactly. If commie ideas were actually possible you guys wouldn't have a recourse.

So we'll see. Maybe this is CNN pouting or maybe it's her first big mistake.

But I don't think this is a loser at all with gen z. 

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

34 states already have some sort of laws on their books about price gouging so it’s not completely out of ‘left’ field. Walgreens settled a suit with New York last year over jacking up their prices on baby formula after the recall that led to a nationwide shortage. We’ll have to wait to see what the actual legislation would look like.

Who's the pharma bro of the food industry? Go put that guy behind bars, you'll see voluntary price drops.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Going to be real interesting to see what happens if the Dems get complete control and follow through on their plan to denazify the SCOTUS.

Then it will be a tit for tat.  Anything that they do will be countered by the Republicans the next time that they are in charge. 

It's happened once already.  In 2013 the Democrats used the "nuclear option" and ended the filibuster on judicial nominees.  The Republicans then, like now, told them that they would live to regret that decision.

The Republicans were true to their word.  They ended the filibuster of SCOTUS justices.  That's how they were able to get the conservatives on the court that are there today.

Now the Democrats are trying to make the same mistake twice by ending the filibuster altogether...

https://rollcall.com/2020/10/15/if-you-dont-like-the-supreme-court-blame-harry-reid/

Edited by Sabrefan1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Exactly. If commie ideas were actually possible you guys wouldn't have a recourse.

So we'll see. Maybe this is CNN pouting or maybe it's her first big mistake.

But I don't think this is a loser at all with gen z. 

Gen Z will vote for Harris in overwhelming numbers regardless.  The Harris campaign has to be careful to not peeve off the baby boomers and to lesser extent Gen X.  I say to lesser extent about Gen X because Gen X is comparatively a smallish generation as far as comparable numbers go.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Gen Z will vote for Harris in overwhelming numbers regardless.  The Harris campaign has to be careful to not peeve off the baby boomers and to lesser extent Gen X.  I say to lesser extent about Gen X because Gen X is comparatively a smallish generation as far as comparable numbers go.

With so many boomers entering fixed income retirement, you would think lowering food prices would be a good thing.

I complained in the confessions thread about a thief at my local grocery store the other day.

There was a part of me that thought 'you might need that food and actually F' Pattison.'

He has recently bought the store. We dont get our groceries there, just odds and ends.

One thing I do get is my 18L drinking water refilled for my tower ( my well water sucks).

It used to be $5.90 for two refills.

Day after Jimmy took over, $6.30.

I asked if water had got more expensive, its the same machine/company.

The check-out people ( as implied in my complaint thread) have little time for me, they gave me an eye roll and said they had no clue about it. 

Water. 

**insert bishop's opinions about billionaires here**

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

With so many boomers entering fixed income retirement, you would think lowering food prices would be a good thing.

Not if it comes in the form of a textbook Marxist policy.  I still don't think that's what the Harris campaign meant.  They aren't stupid.