US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's funny you say that.  I just watched a CNN clip that said nearly the same exact thing.  They were hammering into Kamala for making promises for giveaways that she has not revealed how she would pay for.  They put Trump in there as well but were hammering into her. 

Debt is what will destroy this country.  Sooner or later we're going to default on it.  That should put the world's economy into the toilet for a time.

So many people have very limited financial literacy. Fair enough that politicians make promises but those promises have price tags on them. Totally irresponsible when they are not held to account. That said the vast majority of people don't want to know how things will be paid for. Their idea of long term finance is their next Visa bill. These are the people Trump and Harris are appealing to. I understand that many Americans and Canadians are under extreme financial pressure. IMHO the media and the political parties should identify the causes for this situation. What planning failed, what deficit spending actually costs, what corrections will be made and what will the cost or save. 

What we get instead are politicians who pander to special interests, spend money more than revenue, do not explain the debt threat and play one segment of society against another. 

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

They are emboldened these days.

Its what I was mentioning to Sabrefan, there might be problems with the border but this stuff is festering to a new level and gaining support. 

It's why I posted that Elon retweet of propaganda about detainment camps for right-wingers in England. It wasn't true obviously but Elon and his sick friends want to drive the divide and give voice to these types. Constantly going on about civil war and how migrants are coming for your homes...

This is a very important election for that country.  

Trump will send them into real turmoil. 

I don't think sabre sees it this way but from the outside looking in its freaky stuff.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What we get instead are politicians who pander to special interests, spend money more than revenue, do not explain the debt threat and play one segment of society against another.

The last and only time the USA was debt-free was January 1835. That's 189 years of predicting that the country is on the brink of economic collapse. And yet it persists.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

The last and only time the USA was debt-free was January 1835. That's 189 years of predicting that the country is on the brink of economic collapse. And yet it persists.

Maybe you should do some homework. Either that or don't bother and take comfort that all will be well. 

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think sabre sees it this way but from the outside looking in its freaky stuff.

I just see the middle stages of a dying empire.  Hopefully I'm a pile of ashes before it gets bad.

Both "sides" are so sure of their side's self-righteousness and refuse to see the part that their favourites are playing in it's downfall.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Maybe you should do some homework. Either that or don't bother and take comfort that all will be well. 

there’s this thing called Google. Homework never was this easy

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/andrew-jackson-national-debt-reaches-zero-dollars

On January 8, 1835, President Andrew Jacksonachieves his goal of entirely paying off the United States’ national debt. It was the only time in U.S. history that the national debt stood at zero, and it precipitated one of the worst financial crises in American history.

………

The U.S. has been in debt ever since. The debt skyrocketed during the Civil War but was nearly paid off by the early 20th Century, only to balloon again with the onset of World War I. Numerous presidents and politicians have decried the debt and even pledged to do away with it, with conservatives and libertarians frequently echoing Jackson. Nevertheless, with the debt now surpassing $33 trillion, it is unlikely that the events of 1835 will be repeated in the foreseeable future.

Oh, I forgot Donny and the MAGA cult now think Google is in on the deep State conspiracy against him because he can’t pull up even one photo or story about the disturbed Republican shooting at him.

Weird 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They try to hit Trump, but it doesn't land on him like it lands on Kamala.  I can only guess as to why.

I'm just pointing out that the media is annoyed with her campaign's handling of them and is starting to hit her pretty hard.

If you take away media's access and deny them press conferences they seem to be getting ornery.

Right now it's mostly CNN, but on this economics thing, others are jumping on board.

So maybe just call them fake news, failures.  Losers and worse and refuse to answer their questions in person while being degrading and awful and it will be better

• ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So maybe just call them fake news, failures.  Losers and worse and refuse to answer their questions in person while being degrading and awful and it will be better

You can't call every single outlet that prints a story or two that you don't like, fake news.  Especially on this board since CNN has been lionized by a fair number of people here for printing and broadcasting news that they like.

Personally, I'm waiting a few more days for it all to play out before I take a deeper look into what's happening.  Right now, it's just fluff and headlines based on a segment of speech and whatever her campaign put out the day before, which is also likely to change.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

They try to hit Trump, but it doesn't land on him like it lands on Kamala.  I can only guess as to why.

I'm just pointing out that the media is annoyed with her campaign's handling of them and is starting to hit her pretty hard.

If you take away media's access and deny them press conferences they seem to be getting ornery.

Right now it's mostly CNN, but on this economics thing, others are jumping on board.

Jump away

https://www.timescolonist.com/the-mix/stock-market-today-wall-street-leaps-and-sp-500-rallies-16-as-us-shoppers-drive-the-economy-9354065

Stock market today: Wall Street leaps, and S&P 500 rallies 1.6% as US shoppers drive the economy

NEW YORK (AP) — Wall Street rallied to one of its best days of the year Thursday after data showed the U.S. economy is holding up better than expected , with particular credit going to the country’s shoppers

Democrats in the past have been always been suckers for the MSM demanding a horse race. If this was a past Democratic ticket, they would have immediately jumped and set up a press conference in rapid obedience. There, the MSM would have fired loaded question after loaded question, to portray them as frightened and on the defensive. Their goal would be to come away with Kamala looking weaker. Maybe even have on a MAGA spokesperson afterwards to nail their narrative down. Get the Orange Donny's numbers up to even again.

I love to see this new contemporary version of Democrats and how her campaign handle the press.  They are the ones who knock.  She just got the job. Give her a minute ffs. She's taking a page out of Donny's book, she's talking directly to the people first to introduce herself and introduce her platform.  There'll be plenty of time after the DNC to take questions. The new Democrats understand that the press is not their friend. Or their boss.
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You can't call every single outlet that prints a story or two that you don't like, fake news.  Especially on this board since CNN has been lionized by a fair number of people here for printing and broadcasting news that they like.

Personally, I'm waiting a few more days for it all to play out before I take a deeper look into what's happening.  Right now, it's just fluff and headlines based on a segment of speech and whatever her campaign put out the day before, which is also likely to change.

I think you missed Hippy's sarcasm there....

He was referring to how Trump and other Repugs would handle it....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 8/16/2024 at 11:57 AM, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Pretty soon they'll have a catalog. Join Trumps inner circle and we'll send you this genuine medal of freedom, free of charge, just pay shipping and handling. 

Order now and we’ll throw in a digital trading card, Bible and a pair of high top sneakers absolutely free!

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Most of that debt is in their own currency, so they are both the lender and borrower.  Really, it doesn't need to be "paid back"

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Most of that debt is in their own currency, so they are both the lender and borrower.  Really, it doesn't need to be "paid back"

Are you sure about that one?  If so, can you expand that thought and explain why that would be?

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone here lionize CNN with the possible exception of Alf. Where is he btw, anyone heard from him? 

I mean, people often throw it around like a pejorative but don't buy into the hype. 

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I just see the middle stages of a dying empire.  Hopefully I'm a pile of ashes before it gets bad.

Both "sides" are so sure of their side's self-righteousness and refuse to see the part that their favourites are playing in it's downfall.

From my lefty Canadian perch I still see so much good stuff in the US. Yes we are in a weird cycle right now, but the innovation the US still drives imo will get you guys back on track.

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can't default on bonds and expect to have a functional economy tho.

6 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

If I remember correctly, the cuts that benefited regular people are set to expire soon/already have expired.  Yet the rich political donor tax cut gravy train just keeps moving along for the foreseeable future.

And there you have your answer on how Kamala will pay for it. Reverse the tax cut these rich assholes got from Trump.

6 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Don't take this as a endorsement of anything Trump has proposed but I think CNN and the WP have made a few valid points against Kamala's approach to combat price gouging.  They have supported other parts of her plan but not that.

I'm not convinced there is anything more to it than the fact those papers just don't think it's a viable plan, or at least a plan with a danger of failure.   If that's what they think it's their job to say so.

Part of it is on Harris for a lack of detail there but CNN have been chasing the fox audience for awhile now with their most recent CEOs so not surprised they are now actually leaning right. 

It make sense that they are doing that as the left have generally left cable in favor of independent sources on YouTube and the like. Most cable news watcher that remain are your older folks that lean right. 

CNN tried to do the streaming thing to retain left leaning viewership but that failed spectacularly. 

As for WaPo, they have always been right leaning, they are more anti Trump than anything. But both WaPo and NYT are not feeling the wrath of their right ward turn with active boycott from the left with subscription cancelations. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

So many people have very limited financial literacy. Fair enough that politicians make promises but those promises have price tags on them. Totally irresponsible when they are not held to account. That said the vast majority of people don't want to know how things will be paid for. Their idea of long term finance is their next Visa bill. These are the people Trump and Harris are appealing to. I understand that many Americans and Canadians are under extreme financial pressure. IMHO the media and the political parties should identify the causes for this situation. What planning failed, what deficit spending actually costs, what corrections will be made and what will the cost or save. 

There is no debt threat for America as long as they can maintain reserve currency status. US is literally the only country that can get away with ever balloning debt until they lose a world war as they control the printer for the money that debt is paid in. 

The only issue is with inflation and as long as Fed can keep that in check, the debt is a non issue for the US. That is also why Trump proposal to eliminate the Feds is beyond idiotic as that would literally make US national debt a major problem without the trusted hands of the Fed that preserve US dollar's reserve currency status in the eyes of other nations. 

Remember this can only be said about USA. Canada can't pull this shit so national debt is a real issue for Canadians. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Spoken like a true liberal.  🤣 

You do realize there is interest owed on the debt, right?  Just like a credit card?  

The interest payment on that debt for 2025 will be close to $1 trillion. That’s $1 trillion from gross revenues that cannot be used for anything else. 

But keep telling yourself that the debt isn’t a problem. They will surely print more money to pay off that interest payment. Which of course leads to more inflation and higher prices.