US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Just bought 5 nice size striploins for $16.50. Some things went up and stayed up...just be smart and look for deals.  Also I recall him basing it on the price he paid for car washes at one point. 

It's more work than it used to be, but the deals are out there. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Actually they've dropped a lot since Feb 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1810000101

You have to look around more, but you can still find good deals. 

Trudeau has finally got the big companies to address the gouging. Harris sounds like she wants to as well.

Why would you eat that crap when you can get a Bahn mi for that price?

McDonald’s was just an example of rampant inflation. There are many others. 

If you are shopping at discount stores to save money, then those same discount stores were also a lot cheaper 10 years ago. So that is not a fair comparison at all. You need to compare an apple to another apple to gauge inflation. 

At the end of the day, all that matters to the average person is food, shelter and gas. There is no denying that all of those things have gone up well above the supposed 3% inflation we currently have. 

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I personally flip through all the flyers once a week and make notes on things I know we will need that are cheaper at one store vs another. When i shop, i get 7 things at COuntry Grocer, two things at safeway, 14 things at superstore and a handful of stuff at Thrifties, in any given week. "but i shouldn't have to do stuff to save money"... well what can i say: welcome to reality, snowflake. (not you, an imaginary reader complaining about inflation while spending 20 dollars on a salami without seeing it is 7.99 two blocks away.)

I should add, cuz i have a habit of editing after I hit send (yeah i will work on it) when i see a fast food joint has hiked their prices i simply don't buy that thing. My last bigmac was sometime before spring. 

The small "ethnic" places are such great deals for going out, I don't know why someone would go to the keg eg over Banana Leaf. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDonald’s was just an example of rampant inflation. There are many others. 

If you are shopping at discount stores to save money, then those same discount stores were also a lot cheaper 10 years ago. So that is not a fair comparison at all. You need to compare an apple to another apple to gauge inflation. 

At the end of the day, all that matters to the average person is food, shelter and gas. There is no denying that all of those things have gone up well above the supposed 3% inflation we currently have. 

How about we work from facts? Then no one has to deny anything 

9 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Just bought 5 nice size striploins for $16.50. Some things went up and stayed up...just be smart and look for deals.  Also I recall him basing it on the price he paid for car washes at one point. 

So how much were those 5 nice sized strip loins 10 years ago at the same place you bought them today?  Compare an apple to an apple. You don’t think there were discount deals 10 years ago?

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Are we just forgetting about the group directly below the middle class: that middle class by definition are okay, but not rich: you are ignoring an entire class that we collectively know to be poor. No one is more screwed in any society in any age than the those in poverty. But i get it, Peter poutine needs middle class to believe you, so i guess go ahead and spout nonesense for him. 

I can't be bothered posting the links.

However a quick bit of research illustrates that roughly 1 in 6 kids in the US, Australia and Canada live in/below the poverty line. 

Uncanny how the figures are virtually the same in our societies.

Why I bring up kids is they don't make choices that result in this situation.

They are, in this case, the victims, of the choices/decisions made by so called adults. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gas prices are up 13% in BC since January. So not sure what you mean by gas prices are going down. 13% is a lot more than 3% right?

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1810000101

As for groceries, everyone knows prices are up more than 3%. Doesn’t matter where you shop. 

McDonald’s is a pretty low end restaurant right?  A Big Mac is $7.79 today.  What was it 10 years ago?  $3.99. That’s more than 3% right?  Try 100% more. 

I'll take

What are three industries or companies that since 2020 have all posted record profits while enjoying government subsidization and record share buy backs every quarter for $500 Petey 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just provided you with facts. A Big Mac went up almost 100% from 10 years ago. That’s a fact. That’s called rampant inflation. You want me to go through house prices and rents too?

That's not inflation, that's free market capitalism.........always has to grow, always have to maximize profits for shareholders

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I'll take

What are three industries or companies that since 2020 have all posted record profits while enjoying government subsidization and record share buy backs every quarter for $500 Petey 

Rampant inflation is undeniable Hippy. And I know you agree with me. How we got to this point is a completely different argument. 

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I personally flip through all the flyers once a week and make notes on things I know we will need that are cheaper at one store vs another. When i shop, i get 7 things at COuntry Grocer, two things at safeway, 14 things at superstore and a handful of stuff at Thrifties, in any given week. "but i shouldn't have to do stuff to save money"... well what can i say: welcome to reality, snowflake. (not you, an imaginary reader complaining about inflation while spending 20 dollars on a salami without seeing it is 7.99 two blocks away.)

I should add, cuz i have a habit of editing after I hit send (yeah i will work on it) when i see a fast food joint has hiked their prices i simply don't buy that thing. My last bigmac was sometime before spring. 

they want 25 cents for a brown bag at Wendy’s ..   

I wonder what they’ll want for the foil wrapper next?

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Unfortunately it’s true Hippy. Those women from North Carolina were sitting in the front row. 

That may well be true but if Trump did not make that clear to all the Pennsylvanians in the room as he spoke he's an idiot and deserves all the laughs he is getting.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Unfortunately it’s true Hippy. Those women from North Carolina were sitting in the front row. 

Here's the issue

Trump has lied about so many things.  So very very many things.

Is it really hard to believe an obviously senile old man got the name of the place he was in wrong?

38 minutes ago, 24K said:

Harris plan cost $1.7 trillion over a decade. Where was this outrage when Trump tax cut added $2.1 trillion in less than a decade to the debt? 🤔

You really think Harris’s plan will only cost $1.7 trillion?  You live in the US do you not?  What happens when these budgets go through Congress?  How much PORK is added to every budget?  

$1.7 trillion is today’s number for election purposes. The real number will be disclosed after she takes office. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You really think Harris’s plan will only cost $1.7 trillion?  You live in the US do you not?  What happens when these budgets go through Congress?  How much PORK is added to every budget?  

$1.7 trillion is today’s number for election purposes. The real number will be disclosed after she takes office. 

That number isn't from Harris campaign. So take your beef with the think tanks that came up with that number. 

We don't have one issue bills. That ain't how congress work. Let's not be disingenuous here. You are moving the goal post. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here's the issue

Trump has lied about so many things.  So very very many things.

Is it really hard to believe an obviously senile old man got the name of the place he was in wrong?

If you watched the video clip he introduces the women from North Carolina. He even says they’ve been following him around for 200+ rallies. 

Watch the video Hippy. It’s true unfortunately…

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

Jump away

https://www.timescolonist.com/the-mix/stock-market-today-wall-street-leaps-and-sp-500-rallies-16-as-us-shoppers-drive-the-economy-9354065

Stock market today: Wall Street leaps, and S&P 500 rallies 1.6% as US shoppers drive the economy

NEW YORK (AP) — Wall Street rallied to one of its best days of the year Thursday after data showed the U.S. economy is holding up better than expected , with particular credit going to the country’s shoppers

Democrats in the past have been always been suckers for the MSM demanding a horse race. If this was a past Democratic ticket, they would have immediately jumped and set up a press conference in rapid obedience. There, the MSM would have fired loaded question after loaded question, to portray them as frightened and on the defensive. Their goal would be to come away with Kamala looking weaker. Maybe even have on a MAGA spokesperson afterwards to nail their narrative down. Get the Orange Donny's numbers up to even again.

I love to see this new contemporary version of Democrats and how her campaign handle the press.  They are the ones who knock.  She just got the job. Give her a minute ffs. She's taking a page out of Donny's book, she's talking directly to the people first to introduce herself and introduce her platform.  There'll be plenty of time after the DNC to take questions. The new Democrats understand that the press is not their friend. Or their boss.

It's the tabletop economics they're jumping on about.  The markets being good are relevant for you and me, but not for the people who barely have enough to pay their bills.  Sadly, in the US, that's tens and tens of millions of people because our politicians have all but destroyed our once thriving middle class.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, 24K said:

That number isn't from Harris campaign. So take your beef with the think tanks that came up with that number. 

We don't have one issue bills. That ain't how congress work. Let's not be disingenuous here. You are moving the goal post. 

I never said you have one issue bills. The proposed new budget is not one bill. It’s many different bills whereby they will all be revised and the PORK will be added on to every bill to satisfy all parties. This happens every year. We know the drill. 

Kamala has no clue how much her budget will cost. So yes you need independent think tanks to figure it out. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said you have one issue bills. The proposed new budget is not one bill. It’s many different bills whereby they will all be revised and the PORK will be added on to every bill to satisfy all parties. This happens every year. We know the drill. 

Kamala has no clue how much her budget will cost. So yes you need independent think tanks to figure it out. 

These think tank said 1.7 trillion over a decade. Why you complaining then?

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Prices going up isn’t considered inflation?  🤣

Prices go up and down for various reasons.

The biggest being supply and demand. 

Inflation by definition is the loss of purchasing power.

There are a few factors that determine this, not just the prices of goods and services, going up or down.

Employment rates, wage rates, that are impacted by employment rates. 

I could write an essay but the Hawks are playing soon.

• Cheers 1