US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

they want 25 cents for a brown bag at Wendy’s ..   

I wonder what they’ll want for the foil wrapper next?

I rarely shop at Safeway. But I did a few weeks ago and now they don’t have those black or even paper bags anymore. You either need to bring your own bag or they have them for sale for $2. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I don't think I have ever seen anyone here lionize CNN with the possible exception of Alf. Where is he btw, anyone heard from him? 

I mean, people often throw it around like a pejorative but don't buy into the hype. 

A few months back I had a discussion about CNN and their reporting, and a fair amount of folk ardently jumped to their defense.  I only remember because that's how I learned that CNN was still humongous internationally.  So much so that the international crowd keeps their websites drowning in visits.

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

McDonald’s was just an example of rampant inflation. There are many others. 

If you are shopping at discount stores to save money, then those same discount stores were also a lot cheaper 10 years ago. So that is not a fair comparison at all. You need to compare an apple to another apple to gauge inflation. 

At the end of the day, all that matters to the average person is food, shelter and gas. There is no denying that all of those things have gone up well above the supposed 3% inflation we currently have. 

It's also a company apparently in trouble (unless I'm mistaken).  Other "fast food establishments" are apparently doing 'ok'.  Seems like Rotten Ronalds needs to rethink what they're doing (I"m only speculating as I'm not one of their customers).

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

From my lefty Canadian perch I still see so much good stuff in the US. Yes we are in a weird cycle right now, but the innovation the US still drives imo will get you guys back on track.

You are more optimistic than I am.   Poor financial control has brought down both countries and monarchies in the past.

I hope you turn out right and I turn out wrong though.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's also a company apparently in trouble (unless I'm mistaken).  Other "fast food establishments" are apparently doing 'ok'.  Seems like Rotten Ronalds needs to rethink what they're doing (I"m only speculating as I'm not one of their customers).

IF I go for a burger, I go to A&W. At least they supposedly use real meat. Their double teen burger is $10.99. That’s just for the burger. 

2 hours ago, 24K said:

And there you have your answer on how Kamala will pay for it. Reverse the tax cut these rich assholes got from Trump.

That would be nice.  I don't think it will be that easy though.

Food insecurity in a nation as rich as the USA is a national shame as far as I'm concerned.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Food insecurity in a nation as rich as the USA is a national shame as far as I'm concerned.

Blame the corn subsidies. Why would farmers grow anything else but corn with those subsidies. 

Oh I just realized you were talking about something else. Yeah, really is shameful for the most prosperous nation to have people lining up at food banks barely scraping by. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Didn't Rome stick around for a few hundred years after the death of the Gracchi brothers?

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The cost of the budget “as is” is $1.7 trillion. You understand what adding PORK means right?  When has a budget ever passed as is with no revisions?

We have to analyze based on information we have, not some hypotheticals. 

Once again, why you so mad at Harris for this which help average middle class while dead silent on Trump's tax cut that overwhelmingly help the rich and corporations and cost the same in less time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Blame the corn subsidies. Why would farmers grow anything else but corn with those subsidies. 

I blame so many intentional and unintentional screw-ups over decades of time. 

There are dairy farmers that will dump millions of gallons of milk down a drainpipe and/or use milk to fertilize fields all so that they can keep dairy prices high.  

The government actually pays for farmers to grow less crops in their fields.

Both of those are just a taste of the insanity.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

Oh I just realized you were talking about something else. Yeah, really is shameful for the most prosperous nation to have people lining up at food banks barely scraping by. 

Isn't Monsanto a pretty evil monopoly (company)?

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn't Rome stick around for a few hundred years after the death of the Gracchi brothers?

Depends on what you consider Rome...  After the original empire broke apart, the majority Greek part went on for almost another Millennium.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

A few months back I had a discussion about CNN and their reporting, and a fair amount of folk ardently jumped to their defense.  I only remember because that's how I learned that CNN was still humongous internationally.  So much so that the international crowd keeps their websites drowning in visits.

I remember the conversation but I don't remember anyone lionizing anything. Iirc it was the usual bullshit about fox news having the most viewership somehow leading to them being the most credible. Posters pointed out that all "liberal" media viewership combined vastly outnumbered fox news and cnn is the most visited news website by far, at least it was at the time. Not sure how one conflates any of that but here we are. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I remember the conversation but I don't remember anyone lionizing anything. Iirc it was the usual bullshit about fox news having the most viewership somehow leading to them being the most credible. Posters pointed out that all "liberal" media viewership combined vastly outnumbered fox news and cnn is the most visited news website by far, at least it was at the time. Not sure how one conflates any of that but here we are. 

I'll have to take your word for it.  I only remember the 2 parts of the conversation that I mentioned.  I participated after it started and dipped out of the conversation before it was through.

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I blame so many intentional and unintentional screw-ups over decades of time. 

There are dairy farmers that will dump millions of gallons of milk down a drainpipe and/or use milk to fertilize fields all so that they can keep dairy prices high.  

The government actually pays for farmers to grow less crops in their fields.

Both of those are just a taste of the insanity.

Do you have a link for that?