US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The same Milton Friedman who advocated that a business entity is not obligated to any social responsibilities unless the shareholders decide to do so.

The same Milton Friedman who supported the military dictatorship in Chile.

And seeing as you have been talking about inflation, this is the same Milton Friedman that stated,  the once people adjusted to a higher inflation rate, unemployment would creep back up. 

So according to him, just get used to high inflation and the potential of losing your job.

Personally I am against corporate profits without social responsibility.

I also don't like people who support dictators.

And a quick bit of research indicates that the current high inflation rate is due to supply chain issues, a housing crisis, that no government/Administration has addressed for decades, pent up consumer demand and the economic stimulus (Covid).

Are you going to argue against the fact that it was the economic stimulus during Covid, that kept out economies functioning ? 

Like your blame Joe, and in reality that is his team of economic advisers, just doesn't hold up brother.

I never said you had to like Milton Friedman. That’s a red herring. Inflation is 100% caused by government. It’s a tax on the people. Plain and simple. Nobody said we shouldn’t have printed money during COVID. However, you freely admit that the pent up demand and economic stimulus from COVID created inflation. 

Inflation is all about supply and demand. If supply is constant and demand increases then prices go up. If you print money and put it into circulation and supply is constant then prices go up. Supply chain issues means there is less supply. However, if you print money and people have more money to spend then prices on those goods will go up. If people don’t have the money to spend then supply chain issues won’t mean much because people won’t be buying those goods. The fact that the governments created pent up demand through the COVID stimulus proves my point. 

The housing crisis was caused by artificially low interest rates. Which allowed people to qualify for bigger mortgages. Which means more money was put into circulation through cheap mortgages. Which caused prices to go up. Who controls CMHC in Canada?  Who controlled Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac in the US?  The federal government?  Who printed all the money for consumers to have as their down payments to purchase all those homes?  

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said you had to like Milton Friedman. That’s a red herring. Inflation is 100% caused by government. It’s a tax on the people. Plain and simple. Nobody said we shouldn’t have printed money during COVID. However, you freely admit that the pent up demand and economic stimulus from COVID created inflation. 

Inflation is all about supply and demand. If supply is constant and demand increases then prices go up. If you print money and put it into circulation and supply is constant then prices go up. Supply chain issues means there is less supply. However, if you print money and people have more money to spend then prices on those goods will go up. If people don’t have the money to spend then supply chain issues won’t mean much because people won’t be buying those goods. The fact that the governments created pent up demand through the COVID stimulus proves my point. 

The housing crisis was caused by artificially low interest rates. Which allowed people to qualify for bigger mortgages. Which means more money was put into circulation through cheap mortgages. Which caused prices to go up. Who controls CMHC in Canada?  Who controlled Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac in the US?  The federal government?  Who printed all the money for consumers to have as their down payments to purchase all those homes?  

Umm, I already told you that the main cause of inflation is supply and demand.

You are parroting something I have already told you. 

This article explains why inflation has risen over the last few years, and why certain people like you having been hanging your hat on Milton's Friedman's theory.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-25/did-the-reserve-banks-money-printing-cause-inflation/101471028

" It says some people have been drawing on a theory popularised by Milton Friedman that links inflation to the rate of growth to the money supply.

According to that theory of you assume money circulates in the economy at a certain rate ( ie a constant " velocity )

then a large increase in the money supply, owing to the bond purchase program which could lead to a sharp increase in inflation. 

The RBA says the world is not that simple. 

Why, because the " velocity " of money hasn't been stable for, one. 

It's been falling for decades in Australia and it crashed in the pandemic when people couldn't leave their homes and their were fewer  opportunities for money to circulate in the economy. "

While government economic policies matter, they are not the fundamental reason inflation has gone up in the last few years. 

It's not Joe's fault, not Justin's, not Albo's, not any world leader.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Petri Skriko said:

Give your head a shake bro.

Blaming the government 100% for inflation oversimplifies things. Yes, printing money during COVID had an impact, but it wasn’t the only factor. Inflation isn’t just about supply and demand—it's also about bad policies and government overreach. The lockdowns, endless regulations, and energy restrictions hit supply chains hard, making everything more expensive. And let’s not forget the Fed’s role in messing with interest rates and creating bubbles.

As for the housing crisis, cheap money played a part, sure, but it was government meddling in the market that really messed things up. Pushing banks to give out risky loans, backing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and encouraging people to take on mortgages they couldn’t afford—all driven by federal policies.

Bottom line: It’s not just about printing money; it’s about failed government policies and a lack of accountability across the board.

That's why I like Trump — calling out the real issues and pushing for policies that actually work for the people as opposed to "special" people like Kamala. 

Can you explain what makes Kamala  a "special" person?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just provided you with facts. A Big Mac went up almost 100% from 10 years ago. That’s a fact. That’s called rampant inflation. You want me to go through house prices and rents too?

But you don't have to eat one.

10 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Syrianna in Esquimalt on the Island is amazing and incredibly authentique with our own entrepreneur who only came from Syria itself about 12 years ago. 
The shawarma is on point if you ask for lemon slices inside the wrap with the chicken. They did it originally like that and the locals complained about rind, hahaha.  

I think every city in Canada and the US have dozens of places like this now, and it's a great answer to the price gouging companies. You get actual good food, for the same price, often just as fast, you support local business and stick it to McCrappys all at once .

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/2023/03/understanding-the-reasons-for-high-inflation/

10 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

For one, there’s her record as California’s Attorney General. She pushed a tough-on-crime agenda, supported policies like the truancy law that threatened parents with jail time if their kids missed school, and even defended questionable convictions. But fast forward to her role in the Senate and as VP, and she’s suddenly a big advocate for criminal justice reform. This flip-flop makes people wonder what she really believes in.

Then there’s her role in the Biden administration. She was put in charge of handling the border crisis, but instead of tackling it head-on, she’s been criticized for avoiding the border for months and not offering any real solutions. When she did finally visit, it felt more like a photo-op than a serious effort to address the problem.

And remember the presidential campaign? Harris dropped out before the first primary because she couldn’t get enough support, even in her home state. Yet, here she is as VP, which makes some people feel like she was chosen more for her demographic appeal than for her political prowess. So, Harris is “special” in that she’s always in the spotlight, but whether that’s because of real accomplishments or just who she is (Black and South Asian - a product of Affirmative Action rather than being a worth candidate) and the image she projects is up for debate.

Vance has even less experience, and some very far out ideas. Hillbilly is also a DEI category.

9 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

For one, there’s her record as California’s Attorney General. She pushed a tough-on-crime agenda, supported policies like the truancy law that threatened parents with jail time if their kids missed school, and even defended questionable convictions. But fast forward to her role in the Senate and as VP, and she’s suddenly a big advocate for criminal justice reform. This flip-flop makes people wonder what she really believes in.

Then there’s her role in the Biden administration. She was put in charge of handling the border crisis, but instead of tackling it head-on, she’s been criticized for avoiding the border for months and not offering any real solutions. When she did finally visit, it felt more like a photo-op than a serious effort to address the problem.

And remember the presidential campaign? Harris dropped out before the first primary because she couldn’t get enough support, even in her home state. Yet, here she is as VP, which makes some people feel like she was chosen more for her demographic appeal than for her political prowess. So, Harris is “special” in that she’s always in the spotlight, but whether that’s because of real accomplishments or just who she is (Black and South Asian - a product of Affirmative Action rather than being a worth candidate) and the image she projects is up for debate.

You seem to be prone to exaggeration, speculation, and hyperbole much like Trump and Vance are.  

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

Harris is “special” in that she’s always in the spotlight, but whether that’s because of real accomplishments or just who she is (Black and South Asian - a product of Affirmative Action rather than being a worth candidate) and the image she projects is up for debate.

That is.... a rather racist statement. Thank you for saying out loud that a Black/ Asian Woman could not have been California AG (or VP) without being a DEI hire

3 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

You're right about Vance having less experience but are out to lunch with your DEI claim.

People are tired of the same old career politicians who’ve spent decades in Washington without fixing anything. Vance isn’t part of that swamp—he’s coming in with fresh eyes and isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo.

For example, Vance has talked a lot about the opioid crisis, which he’s personally seen devastate communities. His focus on holding pharmaceutical companies accountable isn’t just some 'far out' idea—it’s a real solution to a problem that’s hit his home state of Ohio hard. He’s also criticized the way big tech companies operate, particularly how they censor speech and influence elections. That’s something a lot of people are worried about, and it’s refreshing to see someone willing to take them on.

As for 'Hillbilly' being a DEI category, let’s be real. Vance isn’t about playing identity politics. He grew up in a struggling, working-class family in Appalachia, and he’s not shy about it. His book, Hillbilly Elegy, gave a voice to a lot of folks who feel ignored by both parties. He’s not trying to fit into some DEI mold—he’s speaking for people who feel like they’ve been forgotten.

So, yeah, Vance might not have the typical political resume, but that’s exactly why he’s resonating with so many people. He’s not afraid to bring new ideas to the table and fight for the issues that matter to everyday Americans

Rather than cheap character assassination why not explore his ideas? Trump blathers on and hurts his chances of election. That said the DNC is no different and stoop to cheap shots as well. The debates hopefully give voters a clearer idea. JD Vance's story is worth reading. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

Whoa, that’s not what I meant at all. My point was more about how the media and political narratives sometimes focus on identity over accomplishments, and that can overshadow real achievements. Kamala Harris has obviously worked hard to get where she is, and being California AG and now VP are no small feats. The question I was raising is more about how much of her rise is attributed to her record versus the focus on her breaking barriers.

It’s definitely not about saying she didn’t earn her place. It’s about recognizing how identity politics can sometimes play a role in how people are perceived, for better or worse. Harris’s accomplishments are real, and it’s important to acknowledge those while also being able to discuss how identity factors into the political conversation (although looking back on what I said, I do admit that I misspoke, and apologize). 

My hope is that if Harris is elected she will center the boat of American politics. Neither Biden or Trump were willing to even try that. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

You're right about Vance having less experience but are out to lunch with your DEI claim.

People are tired of the same old career politicians who’ve spent decades in Washington without fixing anything. Vance isn’t part of that swamp—he’s coming in with fresh eyes and isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo.

For example, Vance has talked a lot about the opioid crisis, which he’s personally seen devastate communities. His focus on holding pharmaceutical companies accountable isn’t just some 'far out' idea—it’s a real solution to a problem that’s hit his home state of Ohio hard. He’s also criticized the way big tech companies operate, particularly how they censor speech and influence elections. That’s something a lot of people are worried about, and it’s refreshing to see someone willing to take them on.

As for 'Hillbilly' being a DEI category, let’s be real. Vance isn’t about playing identity politics. He grew up in a struggling, working-class family in Appalachia, and he’s not shy about it. His book, Hillbilly Elegy, gave a voice to a lot of folks who feel ignored by both parties. He’s not trying to fit into some DEI mold—he’s speaking for people who feel like they’ve been forgotten.

So, yeah, Vance might not have the typical political resume, but that’s exactly why he’s resonating with so many people. He’s not afraid to bring new ideas to the table and fight for the issues that matter to everyday Americans

If Vance had the exact life path you just described but he was black you'd label him "dei".

Just because ideas are new, it doesn't make them good ideas. He has no moral compass.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think every city in Canada and the US have dozens of places like this now, and it's a great answer to the price gouging companies. You get actual good food, for the same price, often just as fast, you support local business and stick it to McCrappys all at once .

Honestly, I wanted to tell Safaa to raise her prices, the shawarma wraps were incredibly cheap for the mounds of chicken she puts in them. I routinely bring home 6 and share them around with family in the Cowichan Valley, six people fed a full meal worth of shawarma for less than two of us to sit down at a restaurant for dinner.

OOOO and I just saw this too. A buffet for 35 bucks a person. Not gonna lie, I have had a McD's bill higher than 35 bucks in the past. This is awesome!

342032980_570396241739648_6515890763947958282_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s960x960&_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=cc71e4&_nc_ohc=MJXFtLlOJlYQ7kNvgFfbfCA&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AYBAkkOPWL4ayb_wy9572q9wVQEL19xld9bd4no7iVMyeQ&oe=66C7DDD1
No photo description available.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Petri Skriko said:

Vance’s background and rise aren’t about his race; it’s about his ideas and what he’s done. He grew up in tough circumstances, served in the military, went to Yale, and wrote a book that resonated with a lot of people who felt ignored. That’s why people support him, not because of some DEI label. If he were black, his story would still be about overcoming challenges and speaking for a community that’s been left behind, not about ticking a diversity box. As for his ideas, sure, some are new, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad. Sometimes it takes fresh thinking to solve old problems. Look at his focus on holding Big Tech accountable—that’s something people across the political spectrum are worried about. Or his stance on the opioid crisis—he’s lived through that in his own community and wants to tackle it head-on.

Saying he has no moral compass just because you don’t agree with him is unfair. He’s not afraid to challenge the establishment and push for changes that a lot of regular folks want to see. That’s why he’s gaining support, not because of his background or any labels. 

Couchman accused another military veteran of stolen valor basically.  Couchman has no honor (imho).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Petri Skriko said:

As for his ideas, sure, some are new, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad.

You are absolutely right, just because his ideas are new doesn't make them bad ideas. The ones that are bad are bad all on their own merit, weather he is recycling them or not. As to his morality and social consciousness: From what I have seen it is nonexistent. From criticizing Trump to licking his boots, and always a step behind in his political two step..you mention he wants to take on big tech...but as of this week, Elon and Donald have kissed and made up: next week lets look to see Vance loving big tech. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

51 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

Vance isn’t about playing identity politics.

LOL ok.  Sure.  Sure

Not playing identity politics.  K.  Then why is he, like os many so hyper fixated on what's in peoples pants?

As for resonating.  he's the most milquetoast useless pick since Palin, at least she was fun to look at.

New account

4 hours old

2-3 posts somewhere else.

Every single other post here in defense of Trump/Vance

Why?  Like why is it always the exact same thing?  Same motives, same patterns same statements.  At least the AI bot was moderately entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

LOL ok.  Sure.  Sure

Not playing identity politics.  K.  Then why is he, like os many so hyper fixated on what's in peoples pants?

As for resonating.  he's the most milquetoast useless pick since Palin, at least she was fun to look at.

It stands out to me that he is one of Don Jr's buddies, all of the talk before he was picked was that Jr was pushing dad to pick his buddy. I would love to see the results of a piss test, haha. 

19 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

Saying he has no moral compass just because you don’t agree with him is unfair. He’s not afraid to challenge the establishment and push for changes that a lot of regular folks want to see. That’s why he’s gaining support, not because of his background or any labels. 

He has no moral compass. 

On one hand, Trump is hitler.

In the other, is Trumps little mushroom the second Trump promised him any level of power or recognition.

The man sold his morals out for a shred of attention.

He has no moral compass or backbone.

His background is worthless and his labels even more so.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

It stands out to me that he is one of Don Jr's buddies, all of the talk before he was picked was that Jr was pushing dad to pick his buddy. I would love to see the results of a piss test, haha. 

He won't do it unless Jr is there to play swords with him.

What really throws me about Vance, is none of his statements or how he turned his back on his ideals and statements.  it's his beard.

• ThereItIs 1