US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

11 hours ago, Spur1 said:

Harris = stability 

Trump = chaos. 
Your choice not my country. 

This is it.

There's no real conversation. 

Why the F' would anyone risk Trump again? 

If some people like what some things that he/maga have brought to the table, fine.

Just get another leader.

But they wont...cause its a cult. 

Debating who better between Kamala and Trump is a joke. Trump is a massive, massive risk. He could literally end that empire as we know it. 

The ONLY thing cons had was that Joe was old and might die. They had a good point. The dems did what was right and now that country has a sliver of hope.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

I’m not sure if Harris is the one to do it. Her track record shows she’s pretty aligned with the more progressive wing of her party, and that’s not exactly centering the boat. If anything, her positions might push things further left, not bring them to the middle.

Trump, on the other hand, shook up the status quo and challenged the political establishment. Take his approach to trade with China as an example. For years, politicians from both parties talked tough but didn’t really do much. Trump came in and actually slapped tariffs on China to protect American jobs and industries. It was a bold move that broke from the traditional bipartisan approach of free trade at all costs, and it forced the conversation on fair trade to the forefront.

Biden, meanwhile, has leaned heavily on progressive policies, so I’m not convinced Harris would take a different approach. If we really want to center American politics, it might take someone who’s willing to challenge both extremes, not just lean into one side

You are strong on opinion but not very strong on detail.

Please explain how Trump's past tariffs worked to the benefit of the US or why his newly proposed tariffs will.

Please explain which government policies led to the 2008 financial crisis, and how they had a greater impact than Wall Street greed and ineptitude.

Please explain how successful Trump actually was at 'draining the swamp'.   I agree he did challenge the political establishment, especially after the last election and on Jan 6th.

You might also tell us just how many Californian parents of truant children have been jailed.

5 hours ago, Petri Skriko said:

Give your head a shake bro.

Blaming the government 100% for inflation oversimplifies things. Yes, printing money during COVID had an impact, but it wasn’t the only factor. Inflation isn’t just about supply and demand—it's also about bad policies and government overreach. The lockdowns, endless regulations, and energy restrictions hit supply chains hard, making everything more expensive. And let’s not forget the Fed’s role in messing with interest rates and creating bubbles.

As for the housing crisis, cheap money played a part, sure, but it was government meddling in the market that really messed things up. Pushing banks to give out risky loans, backing Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, and encouraging people to take on mortgages they couldn’t afford—all driven by federal policies.

Bottom line: It’s not just about printing money; it’s about failed government policies and a lack of accountability across the board.

That's why I like Trump — calling out the real issues and pushing for policies that actually work for the people as opposed to "special" people like Kamala. 

I agree 100%. The government is responsible for inflation. That’s what I already said. Whether it’s through printing money or bad policy decisions, the government is always 100% responsible. Inflation is a tax on the people. Inflation is taxation without legislation, which is the worst kind of tax. It’s been happening for the better part of 100 years and I think the people have finally figured it out. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

I mean, I do have a life outside the boards and I'm already getting bogged down here with my responses. Lets see what I got:

1. Trump’s tariffs, especially on China, were about leveling the playing field for American businesses. He wanted to push back against unfair trade practices, like IP theft and forced tech transfers. While tariffs did raise prices on some goods, they also pressured China to make concessions, like buying more U.S. products. The big picture was about protecting American jobs and encouraging companies to bring manufacturing back home.

2. The 2008 crisis had a lot of factors, but government policies definitely played a role. The Community Reinvestment Act pushed banks to lend to riskier borrowers, and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac got deep into buying up those risky mortgages. While Wall Street’s greed was a big part of it, these policies set the stage for the housing bubble that eventually burst.

3. Trump tried to 'drain the swamp' by shaking up Washington—introducing stricter lobbying rules, cutting regulations, and pushing back against international organizations that didn’t serve U.S. interests. It wasn’t a complete success, but he did challenge the political establishment in ways few presidents have.

4. Kamala Harris’s truancy law in California was more about getting parents involved than actually jailing them. While the law had the potential for jail time, it was rarely used that way. The focus was on fixing the root causes of truancy, not just punishing parents.

I just put this into a Ai checker.

Nice to me you R2.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Petri Skriko said:

Vance’s background and rise aren’t about his race; it’s about his ideas and what he’s done. He grew up in tough circumstances, served in the military, went to Yale, and wrote a book that resonated with a lot of people who felt ignored. That’s why people support him, not because of some DEI label. If he were black, his story would still be about overcoming challenges and speaking for a community that’s been left behind, not about ticking a diversity box.

I call bs. Harris comes from a classic immigrant parent background and has achieved far more than Vance, and yet you raise the dei spectre.

As for his ideas, sure, some are new, but that doesn’t mean they’re bad. Sometimes it takes fresh thinking to solve old problems. Look at his focus on holding Big Tech accountable—that’s something people across the political spectrum are worried about. Or his stance on the opioid crisis—he’s lived through that in his own community and wants to tackle it head-on.

Saying he has no moral compass just because you don’t agree with him is unfair.

Nope. I say he has no moral compass because he's a political chameleon, which I guess is impressive given how short a time he's been a politician.

He had gay friends, but now he's a culture war champion because it gets him power.

He compared trump to Hitler, but now he kissss the ring.

He's a hand picked maga stooge who will say anything to get elected .

He’s not afraid to challenge the establishment and push for changes that a lot of regular folks want to see. That’s why he’s gaining support, not because of his background or any labels. 

Nope, he's a maga choice. Those people would clap at anyone trump anointed.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree 100%. The government is responsible for inflation. That’s what I already said. Whether it’s through printing money or bad policy decisions, the government is always 100% responsible. Inflation is a tax on the people. Inflation is taxation without legislation, which is the worst kind of tax. It’s been happening for the better part of 100 years and I think the people have finally figured it out. 

Just because you keep saying this doesn't mean it's true. No, government is not 100% responsible for inflation. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they are. I proved my point. Prove me otherwise. 

Just when and where did you prove your point?  I must have missed it.

(If we are going to math our way through this discussion, please remember what 100% means.)

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes they are. I proved my point. Prove me otherwise. 

I'd also include Corporations as a cause of inflation, especially those entrenched in monopoly/oligopoly markets. It's no coincidence inflation has been coinciding with record profits. I do agree Government is part of the problem but it's not as simple as 100% their fault. (The last two US bailouts have exacerbated the Corporate problem IMO)

Corporate profits have contributed disproportionately to inflation. How should policymakers respond? - Economic Policy Institute

Half of recent US inflation due to Corporate Profits - Guardian

image.png.e3cc5c71529ad4883b251f629343ba7c.png

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Simple economics should tell you that none of that debt has to be paid. Nope the Chinese, Japanese and other debt holders are going to write that off. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's from duh gubbuhmunt.  Dude clearly don't trust duh gubbuhmunt.  :classic_rolleyes:

If Skippy gets elected I can't wait for Petey to explain why PPs  government can't fix it on their own.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

If Skippy gets elected I can't wait for Petey to explain why PPs  government can't fix it on their own.

Clearly, it's because Turdope left a poison pill for PP to swallow.  Yeah.  That's why.  And because the BoC is actually a libtard black ops centre.  Yeah.  That too.  :classic_ninja:

:hurhur:

• ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I did. Read the link from the bank of Canada I posted to you above .

There was zero inflation in 2020. That’s when the pandemic hit right?  When did inflation occur?  2021. When did the US government start printing money?  2020. Coincidence?  

The US inflation rate in 2020 was 1.23%. The US government printed over $3.3 trillion in 2020 alone and put it into the US economy. That accounted for 20% of all US dollars in circulation.  In 2021 the inflation rate rose to 3.2%. In 2022 it hit 8.3%. 

Supply versus demand. All that money in circulation allowed consumers to buy up all the goods and services which created a shortage in supply. Which caused prices to go up. 

Same thing happened with house prices in the US between 2005-2008. Cheap borrowing money from government policies that controlled Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae allowed pretty much anyone to buy a home. Remember the NINJA mortgages?  No income, no job, no assets, no problem?  The government literally created a housing crisis by allowing cheap money into the system. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'd also include Corporations as a cause of inflation, especially those entrenched in monopoly/oligopoly markets. It's no coincidence inflation has been coinciding with record profits. I do agree Government is responsible (The last two US bailouts have exacerbated the Corporate problem IMO

It's rarely 100% due to one factor.

Corporate profits have contributed disproportionately to inflation. How should policymakers respond? - Economic Policy Institute

Half of recent US inflation due to Corporate Profits - Guardian

image.png.e3cc5c71529ad4883b251f629343ba7c.png

I agree. However, I would add that government policies create corporate greed and allow corporations to rake in billions of dollars.  Who allows monopolies to exist in the first place?  The government?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. However, I would add that government policies create corporate greed and allow corporations to rake in billions of dollars.  Who allows monopolies to exist in the first place?  The government?

Yep, but Corporations are not benign innocent actors here with no agency. They've been making this a reality, funding government think tanks like the Heritage Foundation to influence policy. Blaming the Government 100% is a simple distraction technique. They buy the politicians who loosen the regulations and rules for them to rake it all in. 

We see it here as well, politicians giving handouts to Companies who promise them private sector jobs as consultants. 

The US really went downhill in 2010 when the Supreme court ruled that you can have unlimited campaign contributions with Citizens United.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Yep, but Corporations are not benign innocent actors here with no agency. They've been making this a reality, funding government think tanks like the Heritage Foundation to influence policy. Blaming the Government 100% is a simple distraction technique. They buy the politicians who loosen the regulations and rules for them to rake it all in. 

We see it here as well, politicians giving handouts to Companies who promise them private sector jobs as consultants. 

The US really went downhill in 2010 when the Supreme court ruled that you can have unlimited campaign contributions with Citizens United.

Several people in the inner circle of the Poilievre Campaign are/were grocery chain stores paid lobbyists directly before or during their time advising Peter Poutine. 
It is fun to see the banter from real people on the right trying to square the circle when even they must realize P.P. isn't the answer. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There was zero inflation in 2020. That’s when the pandemic hit right?  When did inflation occur?  2021. When did the US government start printing money?  2020. Coincidence?  

The US inflation rate in 2020 was 1.23%. The US government printed over $3.3 trillion in 2020 alone and put it into the US economy. That accounted for 20% of all US dollars in circulation.  In 2021 the inflation rate rose to 3.2%. In 2022 it hit 8.3%. 

Supply versus demand. All that money in circulation allowed consumers to buy up all the goods and services which created a shortage in supply. Which caused prices to go up. 

Same thing happened with house prices in the US between 2005-2008. Cheap borrowing money from government policies that controlled Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae allowed pretty much anyone to buy a home. Remember the NINJA mortgages?  No income, no job, no assets, no problem?  The government literally created a housing crisis by allowing cheap money into the system. 

So, yes the US government, just like every other government, printed money during the pandemic.   What should they have done instead? 

Re: 'All that money in circulation allowed consumers to buy up all the goods and services which created a shortage in supply'.  Seriously?  No other reason could explain this?  Not pandemic related supply chain issues?  So many people off sick?   

Did Wall Street not have anything to do with the 08 financial crisis?   Remember, we are talking 100% government responsibility here.  Are we to believe the government instructed financial institutions to create toxic assets?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Corporations work together with politicians to screw the rest of society.  This I agree with 100%.  Government policy to appease their corporate overlords is how these monopolies take advantage of the system and rake in billions.  It's no coincidence that alot of these politicians become multi-millionaires after they leave office to get a "corporate" job.  And they also make millions while still being in politics.  Look at Canada as a prime example.  What is the net worth of Trudeau and Poilievre right now?  What was their net worth before they entered politics?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Several people in the inner circle of the Poilievre Campaign are/were grocery chain stores paid lobbyists directly before or during their time advising Peter Poutine. 
It is fun to see the banter from real people on the right trying to square the circle when even they must realize P.P. isn't the answer. 

PP isn't the answer.  And neither is your buddy Trudeau my friend...

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

So, yes the US government, just like every other government, printed money during the pandemic.   What should they have done instead? 

Re: 'All that money in circulation allowed consumers to buy up all the goods and services which created a shortage in supply'.  Seriously?  No other reason could explain this?  Not pandemic related supply chain issues?  So many people off sick?   

Did Wall Street not have anything to do with the 08 financial crisis?   Remember, we are talking 100% government responsibility here.  Are we to believe the government instructed financial institutions to create toxic assets?

Why do you keep only bringing up the pandemic?  What about the last 100 years?  Wall Street was given the ability through government policies to create derivatives and worthless mortgage-backed securities that they could sell for billions on the open market.  The government allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to create worthless subprime mortgages that they could sell to consumers who had no assets and no money.

The government created that whole mess.  Wall Street, just like corporations, took advantage of the situation.  Just like rich people take advantage of loopholes in the tax system created by the government.

Why you and others keep propping up governments and allowing them a free pass is quite alarming.  The governments literally create inflation and recessions.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why do you keep only bringing up the pandemic?  What about the last 100 years?  Wall Street was given the ability through government policies to create derivatives and worthless mortgage-backed securities that they could sell for billions on the open market.  The government allowed Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to create worthless subprime mortgages that they could sell to consumers who had no assets and no money.

The government created that whole mess.  Wall Street, just like corporations, took advantage of the situation.  Just like rich people take advantage of loopholes in the tax system created by the government.

Why you and others keep propping up governments and allowing them a free pass is quite alarming.  The governments literally create inflation and recessions.  

Who was it who said 'There was inflation in 2020. That’s when the pandemic hit right?  When did inflation occur?  2021. When did the US government start printing money?  2020. Coincidence?  Stay in the game and please leave the goal posts where they are.

I am not propping up any government nor have I tried to give them a free pass.  It's just that I can't stay away from comments that are as full of holes as some I have seen today.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Who was it who said 'There was inflation in 2020. That’s when the pandemic hit right?  When did inflation occur?  2021. When did the US government start printing money?  2020. Coincidence?  Stay in the game and please leave the goal posts where they are.

I am not propping up any government nor have I tried to give them a free pass.  It's just that I can't stay away from comments that are as full of holes as some I have seen today.

What holes?  There was zero inflation in 2020.  The government than printed $3.3 trillion dollars.  Inflation then started right after.  Where is the hole?