US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Than you're a better man than me.  Too much came out all at once about that whole thing.  I'm glad it went away.  I did not need details on the personal love and home life of the Pelosi's.

Let's leave it at that then.  Besides, I'd be willing to bet I'd either not believe it, or not care.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You paint both a lovely and hilarious picture! 🤣

I mean, I know this is the US Politics thread, but just for demonstration purposes (and before the Canadian nationalists kill me):

Canada is a country of opportunity for many, which is why you saw people trying to cross at Roxham Road into Quebec.  However, we have our own problems that make us suck pretty badly.  The two aren't mutually exclusive I guess is my point.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I mean, I know this is the US Politics thread, but just for demonstration purposes (and before the Canadian nationalists kill me):

Canada is a country of opportunity for many, which is why you saw people trying to cross at Roxham Road into Quebec.  However, we have our own problems that make us suck pretty badly.  The two aren't mutually exclusive I guess is my point.

I remember.  When Trump closed the border and turned hard on illegal immigration, the people train started to flow straight to Canada. 

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

These guys put the ‘fun’ in dysfunction. 🤪

Setting aside the fact that there's no way Gym Jordan is the most popular Republican in Congress....isn't that pretty much like being the hottest girl at Fat Camp?

• Haha 3
  • ThereItIs 1

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess lets revisit this if some poor bugger gets shot because Trump makes a tweet. And its not emotional to point out the guy is a threat to some peoples physical safety, that seems to be a real thing.

Some poor bugger already did.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Ashli_Babbitt

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Some poor bugger already did.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Ashli_Babbitt

Sounds harsh of me, but that dumbass is a Darwin Award winner.  "Hey, I'm attacking the nation's capitol and trying to lynch the congresspeople in it, why don't I stick my head directly into the hallway where a cop has a gun trained on us!"

I give Trump only half credit for that one.

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The only people in recent political memory that got shot because of rhetoric was a baseball diamond full of Republican congressman playing softball.  Several years or so ago, a hyper-partisan Democrat walk up to them and started plugging away at them with a rifle.

The Right’s Violence Problem

The Buffalo killings are part of a pattern: Most extremist violence in the U.S. comes from the political right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/briefing/right-wing-mass-shootings.html

Over the past decade, the Anti-Defamation League has counted about 450 U.S. murders committed by political extremists.

Of these 450 killings, right-wing extremists committed about 75 percent. Islamic extremists were responsible for about 20 percent, and left-wing extremists were responsible for 4 percent.

Nearly half of the murders were specifically tied to white supremacists:

image.thumb.png.eafbbd87a8b1f78ad097c9d094bf8c91.png

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Than you're a better man than me.  Too much came out all at once about that whole thing.  I'm glad it went away.  I did not need details on the personal love and home life of the Pelosi's.

What details are those? Sounds like you are a victim of the alt right disinformation campaign. 

Just now, Playoff Beered said:

The Right’s Violence Problem

The Buffalo killings are part of a pattern: Most extremist violence in the U.S. comes from the political right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/briefing/right-wing-mass-shootings.html

Over the past decade, the Anti-Defamation League has countedabout 450 U.S. murders committed by political extremists.

Of these 450 killings, right-wing extremists committed about 75 percent. Islamic extremists were responsible for about 20 percent, and left-wing extremists were responsible for 4 percent.

Nearly half of the murders were specifically tied to white supremacists:

That's Bullshit.  I actually still have the long video of the Buffalo shooting on my hard drive.  That was racially motivated.

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

What details are those? Sounds like you are a victim of the alt right disinformation campaign. 

Maybe but seriously, I'm not going back into that whole thing.  I was uncomfortable reading about it after it happened.  It made little sense.  People only show up to a house with a hammer if they have a personal vendetta against someone.  There are much easier ways to kill people in this country than death by hammer.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's Bullshit.  I actually still have the long video of the Buffalo shooting on my hard drive.  That was racially motivated.

Are you trying to say the right doesn't have a racism problem? That the vast majority of racists aren't republicans?

The Buffalo Shooter Isn’t a ‘Lone Wolf.’ He’s a Mainstream Republican

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/buffalo-shooter-white-supremacist-great-replacement-donald-trump-1353509/

Let’s call the Buffalo shooter what he is — a radical MAGA terrorist

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/buffalo-shooter-payton-gendron-manifesto-maga-b2080259.html

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Sounds harsh of me, but that dumbass is a Darwin Award winner.  "Hey, I'm attacking the nation's capitol and trying to lynch the congresspeople in it, why don't I stick my head directly into the hallway where a cop has a gun trained on us!"

I give Trump only half credit for that one.

That's pretty generous of you, considering the fact that she never would have gone there if not for Trump's lies.....

Bottom line for me: If Trump accepts his loss and head's back to Mara Lardo without the lies about a rigged election, Ashli Babbitt is still alive.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Playoff Beered said:

Are you trying to say the right doesn't have a racism problem? That the vast majority of racists aren't republicans?

The Buffalo Shooter Isn’t a ‘Lone Wolf.’ He’s a Mainstream Republican

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/buffalo-shooter-white-supremacist-great-replacement-donald-trump-1353509/

I'm saying that the right isn't exclusively the party of racists and bigots no matter how inclusive the Democrats want to publicly be.  I've known plenty on the left that still privately use the N word very liberally here in "enlightened" New York.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Maybe but seriously, I'm not going back into that whole thing.  I was uncomfortable reading about it after it happened.  It made little sense.  People only show up to a house with a hammer if they have a personal vendetta against someone.  There are much easier ways to kill people in this country than death by hammer.

No, the guy was Canadian so the hammer rather than gun seems about right.

In the search for a motive, attention turned to the suspect's apparent internet profile.

In recent posts on several websites, an internet user named "daviddepape" expressed support for former President Donald Trump and embraced the cult-like conspiracy theory QAnon. The posts included references to "satanic pedophilia," anti-Semitic tropes and criticism of women, transgender people and censorship by tech companies. Reuters could not confirm the posts were created by the suspect arrested Friday.

Experts on extremism said the attack could be an example of a growing trend they call "stochastic terrorism," in which sometimes-unstable individuals are inspired to violence by hate speech and scenarios they see online and hear echoed by public figures.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That's pretty generous of you, considering the fact that she never would have gone there if not for Trump's lies.....

Bottom line for me: If Trump accepts his loss and head's back to Mara Lardo without the lies about a rigged election, Ashli Babbitt is still alive.

Those people were adults.  They were going to bum rush the Capitol whether he spoke that day or not.  The right is very sore when they lose elections and for four years plenty of people worshiped Trump.  I have no sympathy for stupid people receiving the consequences for their actions.

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

No, the guy was Canadian so the hammer rather than gun seems about right.

In the search for a motive, attention turned to the suspect's apparent internet profile.

In recent posts on several websites, an internet user named "daviddepape" expressed support for former President Donald Trump and embraced the cult-like conspiracy theory QAnon. The posts included references to "satanic pedophilia," anti-Semitic tropes and criticism of women, transgender people and censorship by tech companies. Reuters could not confirm the posts were created by the suspect arrested Friday.

Experts on extremism said the attack could be an example of a growing trend they call "stochastic terrorism," in which sometimes-unstable individuals are inspired to violence by hate speech and scenarios they see online and hear echoed by public figures.

Thanks for doing the leg work.  That must have come out after I started to ignore the story.  Qanon being involved is not a surprise.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm saying that the right isn't exclusively the party of racists and bigots no matter how inclusive the Democrats want to publicly be.  I've known plenty on the left that still privately use the N word very liberally here in "enlightened" New York.

The point was about politically inspired violence though, not that incident in particular.

Gendron is reported to have written a manifesto describing himself as an ethno-nationalist and a supporter of white supremacy who is motivated to commit acts of political violence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Buffalo_shooting

Edited by Playoff Beered