US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Do you remember how upset she was about Bernie?

She encouraged people not to vote for Hillary, to abstain.

Thanks Susan. You helped get us some Trump. 

Hope these protestors dont do the same.

I didn't know she threw a hissy fit like that.  To be fair, that only hurts in the most progressive of states that Hillary won anyways.  The swing states are mostly made up of moderate voters.

That's why Florida ceased to be a Swing state in 2016.  The population aged and they became much more conservative.  Also, that's why Texas is slowly becoming purple on it's way to becoming a swing state.  People are leaving heavily taxed blue states like California and are making their way to Texas for the cheaper cost of living.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Grammar

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So far one candidate has 82% of the vote. I’ll let you figure out who it is. 

Oh, Trump is gonna win in a massive landslide. 

No need to worry about it. In fact, if they live in a red state, Repubs dont need to come out and vote at all.

Will be soo easy for him. 82% seems low, probably some Dem bots on there. 

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Do you remember how upset she was about Bernie?

She encouraged people not to vote for Hillary, to abstain.

Thanks Susan. You helped get us some Trump. 

Hope these protestors dont do the same.

its heartbreaking to me when people who care so deeply about an issue, pull a fire, ready, aim and tank what matters to them.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think he was talking about the protestors here Bouds,

He was talking about the supporters inside DNC hopping up and down like robots.

or did I not understand @Sabrefan1

...and I'm confused.  🤣

I thought he was just making a general observation and I agreed with him.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I didn't know she threw a hissy fit like that.  To be fair, that only hurts in the most progressive of states that Hillary won anyways.  The swing states are mostly made up of moderate voters.

That's why Florida ceased to be a Swing state in 2016.  The population aged and they became much more conservative.  Also, that's why Texas is slowly becoming purple on it's way to becoming a swing state.  People are leaving heavily taxed blue states like California are making their way to Texas for the cheaper cost of living.

I can kinda give her a break.

No normal person thought Trump would win. 

But the deplorables heard the call and came out of the hills en masse

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

its heartbreaking to me when people who care so deeply about an issue, pull a fire, ready, aim and tank what matters to them.

Nobody cared what an actress in her 70's, well past her prime, thought about the election.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

...and I'm confused.  🤣

I thought he was just making a general observation and I agreed with him.

Who did you mean about hopping up and down and cheering like robots in a post about the DNC/RNC ?

I think he was thinking about the violence 'on both sides'

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I can kinda give her a break.

No normal person thought Trump would win. 

But the deplorables heard the call and came out of the hills en masse

Nobody really cared what she thought.  I do remember thinking though that Hillary had that election locked up.  I think most did if I remember correctly.

Who did you mean about hopping up and down and cheering like robots in a post about the DNC/RNC ?

I think he was thinking about the violence 'on both sides'

Oh, I meant that they were like robots programmed to do the exact same weird thing decade after decade.

It had nothing to do with violence.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I do remember thinking though that Hillary had that election locked up.  I think most did if I remember correctly.

Comey didnt

• Cheers 1

Oh, I meant that they were like robots programmed to do the exact same weird thing decade after decade.

It had nothing to do with violence.

Thats what i was pointing out to Bouds, thanks

• Cheers 1

Huh.  I swear, I regularly overestimate people's ability to think for themselves.  And that's odd coming from a usual pessimist like me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks, Ill climb back out from under my table.

I learned that in '84 in school, to protect me from a nuclear bomb.

We had strong desks back then.

Even as a kid, I knew that was stupid.  As an adult, I now know that if I'm close enough to a blast that I have to worry about the ceiling falling on me, then I'm going to wish that it did.  Death by radiation poisoning is one of the worst ways to die.  That's why if I ever get a WW3 alert on my phone, I'm getting in my car and heading right for the Niagara power plant at the border.  I'd rather just be quickly incinerated since that's a major first target in a strike. 

Pretty morbid that the Cold War caused me to actually make up that plan as a teenager.  Might be even sadder that it's still my plan of action if the brown stuff ever hits the fan.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Even as a kid, I knew that was stupid.  As an adult, I now know that if I'm close enough to a blast that I have to worry about the ceiling falling on me, then I'm going to wish that it did.  Death by radiation poisoning is one of the worst ways to die.  That's why if I ever get a WW3 alert on my phone, I'm getting in my car and heading right for the Niagara power plant at the border.  I'd rather just be quickly incinerated since that's a major first target in a strike. 

Pretty morbid that the Cold War caused me to actually make up that plan as a teenager.  Might be even sadder that it's still my plan of action if the brown stuff ever hits the fan.

I still remember the networks promoted a movie called 'The Day After' around that time.It was about scary nuclear shit. 

Primetime viewing. All the famillies watched it and all us kids were traumatized.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I still remember the networks promoted a movie called 'The Day After' around that time.It was about scary nuclear shit. 

Primetime viewing. All the famillies watched it and all us kids were traumatized.

I didn't watch it until years later.  Wasn't my cup of tea at that time in my life (9 y.o.).  I likely chose to watch sitcoms that night instead.

Edited by Sabrefan1

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I didn't watch it until years later.  Wasn't my cup of tea at that time in my life (9 y.o.).  I likely chose to watch sitcoms that night instead.

They encouraged us to watch it around these parts. Even the teachers at school. It was a familly event. 

I was 9 at the time also. 

I'm 50 too. 

i remember looking up into the sky for weeks after....looking for 'incoming'

Edited by bishopshodan
  • chaos 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dunno.  Did they ever do a poll on that question after the election?

I remember that race having a good turnout of young people though.

Just going off memory, which could be faulty 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont think he was talking about the protestors here Bouds,

He was talking about the supporters inside DNC hopping up and down like robots.

or did I not understand @Sabrefan1

My comment was what I see on the TV news. I expect leadership by senior members of each party, if nothing else, to show a little respect for the process. Now it appears to be encouraged. The fallout is that a lot of people are simply tuning out.  

• Cheers 2