US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Playoff Beered said:

The point was about politically inspired violence though, not that incident in particular.

I understand.  That's why I said that I think those people were going to attack the Capitol anyways.  That's why the white supremacists and others bussed so many of them there in the first place.  Even people across the country drove there specifically to attack the election result.

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Those people were adults.  They were going to bum rush the Capitol whether he spoke that day or not.  The right is very sore when they lose elections and for four years plenty of people worshiped Trump.  I have no sympathy for stupid people receiving the consequences for their actions.

Completely disagree.

Trump had been engaging in a campaign of disinformation before the election even started. By the time the results were in, he and his allies in government and media had convinced a segment of the population that he was cheated. Without those lies, there would have been no assault on the Capitol.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

Also....just going to leave this here, as it appears some folks have forgotten about it:

https://apnews.com/article/el-paso-walmart-texas-crusius-bf7d25f3567959ee8b121deabcf1d9a1

Crusius had been enrolled as a student at Collin College, near Dallas, and had no criminal convictions before the shooting. On social media, Crusius appeared consumed by the nation’s immigration debate, tweeting #BuildtheWall and posts that praised then-President Donald Trump’s hardline border policies.

His views went further in a document posted to an online message board about 20 minutes before the massacre in which he said the shooting was “in response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas.”

In American politics, Republicans continue to use the word “invasion” to describe migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, waving off critics who say the rhetoric fuels anti-immigrant views and violence.

• Upvote 2

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Completely disagree.

Trump had been engaging in a campaign of disinformation before the election even started. By the time the results were in, he and his allies in government and media had convinced a segment of the population that he was cheated. Without those lies, there would have been no assault on the Capitol.

That wasn't exclusive to his presidency.  Like most presidents, lying and bullshitting went on before, during, and after he was president.

Hell this country got into a war that got huge amounts of Americans killed over the dishonesty of one president and his political party.

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Also....just going to leave this here, as it appears some folks have forgotten about it:

https://apnews.com/article/el-paso-walmart-texas-crusius-bf7d25f3567959ee8b121deabcf1d9a1

I agree with Trump and Republicans that too many people cross the border and it's basically an invasion.  Millions of people do.  99.99999% of us aren't crazy enough to go kill people over it though.  Crazy people exist in this world and will do crazy things.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That wasn't exclusive to his presidency.  Like most presidents, lying and bullshitting went on before, during, and after he was president.

Hell this country got into a war that got huge amounts of Americans killed over the dishonesty of one president and his political party.

Lots of politicians lie.

However, I can only think of one American POTUS who tried to use lies to overturn his election loss.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

I agree with Trump and Republicans that too many people cross the border and it's basically an invasion.  Millions of people do.  99.99999% of us aren't crazy enough to go kill people over it though.  Crazy people exist in this world and will do crazy things.

That wasn't really what the discussion was about though, was it?

It was about politically motivated shootings.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the US needs to form two new political parties.

Conservatives and Liberals.

Throw out everyone except for Katie Porter.

That would be great.  Split the vote into 4ths.  I could definitely get behind that.  It would make presidential elections fun too.  We'd probably have to change some election laws.

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Lots of politicians lie.

However, I can only think of one American POTUS who tried to use lies to overturn his election loss.

Same.  However I do not pity the idiot who got herself killed nor the idiots who are spending a chunk of their life in prison.

That wasn't really what the discussion was about though, was it?

It was about politically motivated shootings.

When did we decide to begin staying on topic on this board?  I wouldn't be shocked if this suddenly turned into a discussion on who the best Transformer is.  🤣

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still struggling to understand the Electoral College.

The only good thing about it is that it forces candidates to not pander to the biggest cities in the country.

Same.  However I do not pity the idiot who got herself killed nor the idiots who are spending a chunk of their life in prison.

When did we decide to begin staying on topic on this board?  I wouldn't be shocked if this suddenly turned into a discussion on who the best Transformer is.  🤣

Because you know it's Optimus Prime.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You can absolutely discuss what you consider an invasion of your country, however, as I made no comment on that one way or another, there's no reason to quote my post in making your point.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still struggling to understand the Electoral College.

It's weird, but it works.   Even through the last election.

Just prior to the last election, curiosity led me to a Google and Wikipedia rabbit hole treasure hunt through the US system.   I did my own research you might say.

It's different from ours, and to us seems odd at first sight, but's it's been chugging along just fine for quite a while now.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

You can absolutely discuss what you consider an invasion of your country, however, as I made no comment on that one way or another, there's no reason to quote my post in making your point.

Please accept my apologies if you feel that I was attacking you.  That wasn't my intention.  I just saw that as part of the quote and was using it as part of my point.

Please accept my apologies if you feel that I was attacking you.  That wasn't my intention.  I just saw that as part of the quote and was using it as part of my point.

That's not what I thought. I just thought your point had nothing to do with what I posted. No harm done.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It's weird, but it works.   Even through the last election.

Just prior to the last election, curiosity led me to a Google and Wikipedia rabbit hole treasure hunt through the US system.   I did my own research you might say.

It's different from ours, and to us seems odd at first sight, but's it's been chugging along just fine for quite a while now.

Yep.  It ensures that no one part of the country has power over the other parts.  If it was straight up popular vote, the middle less populous states would get screwed over and be dominated by the more populous bigger states.  Politicians would favour cities like NYC and LA when it came time to dole out federal programs and federal investment.

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

At least it wasn't a casette player. 

No doubt.  They had to give him killer cassette tapes to at least make him look a little tough.  I remember trading for Shockwave with another friend and got the laserbeak cassette with him.   I thought he was so cool back then as a 10 year old... lol

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

No doubt.  They had to give him killer cassette tapes to at least make him look a little tough.  I remember trading for Shockwave with another friend and got the laserbeak cassette with him.   I thought he was so cool back then as a 10 year old... lol

First transformer I ever got was soundwave. Still my favorite and I still have them all tucked away in a box somewhere. Laserbeak came in the box iirc

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I had a Perceptor, but it couldn't magnify worth shit.  :picard:

I only learned of its "tank mode" when googling trying to figure out what the transformer's name was just now.  That would've been more fun a transition (had I known about it then) than the stupid non-magnifying microscope.  :classic_rolleyes: