US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

49 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As well, Killery ran a HORRIBLE campaign.  Don't pay attention enough to the battleground states & took it for granted she'd carry enough of them.  

Yet she still got close to 3 million more votes overall. I just hope Bill Clinton doesn't bring the mood down tonight, he's not a good speaker anymore at all.

26 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Yet she still got close to 3 million more votes overall. I just hope Bill Clinton doesn't bring the mood down tonight, he's not a good speaker anymore at all.

Seems like the Obama's 'still have it'.  It triggers the MAGA crowd as well.  I'd have those two on Harris' campaign trail in certain battleground states.  But yeah, the Clinton's have too much baggage as well.

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he does look more defeated than I've seen before. It must have been such a kick in the nads to lose 6 years of Biden-bashing. His usual attacks haven't worked on Harris, AND the "weird" thing has done some damage back his way. He's reeling. 

He should've went with his gut instincts & not select Couch-man as his VP  (largely listened to the likes of Elon Muskovite for that).

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seems like the Obama's 'still have it'.  It triggers the MAGA crowd as well.  I'd have those two on Harris' campaign trail in certain battleground states.  But yeah, the Clinton's have too much baggage as well.

I am patiently waiting to see the result their appearance has on the idiocy and mouth pieces for Trump and the US right.

We all absolutely know how badly they trigger them on FOX OANN etc and I expect the comments, news reports, statements and social media channels to be saying the same usual tripe in short order.

🤣

I bet Ronny is fully behind Tuberville in his efforts to delay the promotion of vets.   Does Ronny also believe that the Pres. Medal of freedom is on equal footing to the Congressional Medal of Honor like his dear leader says?  I'm sure vets are behind that.

GOP - "Every accusation is a confession"

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He should've went with his gut instincts & not select Couch-man as his VP  (largely listened to the likes of Elon Muskovite for that).

I think the VP debate will be a big moment for the trumpets. If Walz kicks his ass in that, things could get very interesting. Maybe trump fires him for some other loopy choice. RFK jr would be hilarious. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣

I bet Ronny is fully behind Tuberville in his efforts to delay the promotion of vets.   Does Ronny also believe that the Pres. Medal of freedom is on equal footing to the Congressional Medal of Honor like his dear leader says?  I'm sure vets are behind that.

GOP - "Every accusation is a confession"

Captain not admiral?

Something something stolen valour

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Captain not admiral?

Something something stolen valour

I was curious about this so I looked it up (not that I thought Newbie was lying).

Jackson retired from the Navy as a rear admiral (lower half) in December 2019.[16] In 2020, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. In 2021, an investigation by the Defense Department inspector general found that Jackson had engaged in various inappropriate behaviors as an admiral; the following year, the Navy retroactively demoted him to the rank of captain.

Jackson held the Navy rank of captain from May 1, 2010, to October 1, 2016, when he was promoted to rear admiral (lower half).[28][21] Jackson was nominated for promotion to the two-star rank of rear admiral on March 20, 2018,[29][30] but the Senate Committee on Armed Services returned the nomination to the president on January 3, 2019, without action.[29] He was renominated by Trump for promotion again on January 15, 2019, but it was again returned to the president without action.[31] Jackson retired from the Navy on December 1, 2019, as a rear admiral (lower half).[21]

In July 2022, the Navy demoted Jackson from rear admiral (lower half) to captain for actions "not in keeping with the standards the Navy requires of its leaders",[32][33] citing "substantiated allegations" in a 2018 investigation by the Defense Department's inspector general into reports that the physician had drunk alcohol while on duty, acted inappropriately, and routinely yelled at subordinates.[34][35] Despite the demotion, Jackson continued to represent himself as an admiral on his congressional website through at least March 2024, when the story was first uncovered by The Washington Post.[3][36]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_Jackson#Military_career

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I was curious about this so I looked it up (not that I thought Newbie was lying).

Jackson retired from the Navy as a rear admiral (lower half) in December 2019.[16] In 2020, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives. In 2021, an investigation by the Defense Department inspector general found that Jackson had engaged in various inappropriate behaviors as an admiral; the following year, the Navy retroactively demoted him to the rank of captain.

Jackson held the Navy rank of captain from May 1, 2010, to October 1, 2016, when he was promoted to rear admiral (lower half).[28][21] Jackson was nominated for promotion to the two-star rank of rear admiral on March 20, 2018,[29][30] but the Senate Committee on Armed Services returned the nomination to the president on January 3, 2019, without action.[29] He was renominated by Trump for promotion again on January 15, 2019, but it was again returned to the president without action.[31] Jackson retired from the Navy on December 1, 2019, as a rear admiral (lower half).[21]

In July 2022, the Navy demoted Jackson from rear admiral (lower half) to captain for actions "not in keeping with the standards the Navy requires of its leaders",[32][33] citing "substantiated allegations" in a 2018 investigation by the Defense Department's inspector general into reports that the physician had drunk alcohol while on duty, acted inappropriately, and routinely yelled at subordinates.[34][35] Despite the demotion, Jackson continued to represent himself as an admiral on his congressional website through at least March 2024, when the story was first uncovered by The Washington Post.[3][36]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronny_Jackson#Military_career

Ahhh so he HELD the position or rank of rear admiral until his actions got him tossed out on his admirals rear and demoted back to captain in which he retired.

I once had a 54-2 round in call of duty so I am in fact a sniper and gamer par excellence

• Haha 1

Right wing media " Democrats are brining out the heroes of the past; something the republicans didn't do, as they are about the future.

reality - the heroes of the republican past, wanted nothing to do with shit show of today's repugnicant party; so declined to  appear.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 24K said:

I don't buy that analysis. This one squarely falls into being a political nerd and over analyzing everything. 

Most normies don't care about any of that. Dem base itself wanted Biden gone and the party responded and did exactly what the base wanted. Same with independents. They want someone different and one party delivered.

You can say Dem was putting up a facade but ultimately the Dems responded like a competent and responsible party and did the right thing for both itself and their voters in course correcting with Biden. Voters respect a party that knows they made a mistake and corrected in the end just like you would a co-worker that corrected their mistake rather trying to bull doze their way through it. 

I think your rationale is incorrect. They didn't replace Biden because he was declining, they replaced Biden because it got so bad even they knew they couldn't drag him across the finish line. 

The big thing your leaving out is the brazen lying. The responsible/correct thing was not to run a big propaganda campaign that he was actually sharp as a tack. If they cared about doing the right thing they would've acknowledged Biden's cognitive decline & made a move to push him out sooner (they had grounds & an available process), or just not have ran him in the first place. But it seems apparently that if they could've dragged Biden's corpse across the finish line again they absolutely would have.

I don't think normies who saw things like Biden falling up stairs, forgetting what he's talking about mid-sentence, wandering aimlessly, exc believe he was mentally capable of running the country nor did they buy (or maybe even see much of) the propaganda campaign assuring people their eyes were incorrect. Maybe this will manifest in more of a long term thing, but them dropping the mask cost trust & I don't think will have 0 effect.

The other thing to clear up is what we mean by normies, normies nowadays aren't soccer moms watching good morning America, or old people watching nightly news (there are few of those), they are people on social media for whom examples of Biden's issues would've been unavoidable (many memes) & I doubt people who don't pay attention to politics regularly could've regarded it as normal.

And also not all normies are necessarily just scraping by either.

10 hours ago, 24K said:

End of the day, people like the results and when people like the result, the process hardly matters especially when there was no lose of life, injuries, or major property damage. 

This is another thing that could hurt them though. It seems like some non-political people feel worse off today than the Trump years, and normies aren't going to care what statistics the Dems flaunt in response when people are struggling.

It may not even be fair, but it doesn't matter, and Harris is going to be directly linked to this given she was in the previous administration.

10 hours ago, 24K said:

If what you said was true, you would see that effect already with independents. It is way more sensible to see an effect closer to the switch rather than two or three months down the road especially with our fast news cycle. 

What we do see is a surge of support among independents for Harris rather than a slide. 

High RFK Jr. support also plays into the idea that people want someone different than Biden and Trump. His support have now been trending downward or held steady at best since Harris came in. If your analysis is correct than we should be seeing an upward directory. 

Your analysis is mainly a right wing framing and pushed far more by the right then by the left or independents.

I support Bernie cause I want universal healthcare but I don't subscribe to the party cheated Bernie out of the nomination. End of the day, there was an election process and Bernie did not have majority support of the party base when it came down to it. If he had Obama level of support, he would have won no matter what the DNC tried to pull. Not surprising considering he was an outsider that somewhat tried to hijack the party. 

Right wing means little in this context, left uses 'right wing' to label someone/something as out-group then dismiss. Though I do think the whole paradigm is shifting.

And also I don't know that polls are always reliable anyways. We remember 2016 I'm sure.

I think relatively high RFK support was not merely a consequence of being a marginally more palatable 3rd option to Trump/Biden. There are 3rd options every year if you just can't stomach the 2 main choices, this phenomena is something more imo. We could discuss it deeper (I don't rly care to ATM) but I do think a part of it - atleast initially - was a fundamental disenchantment with the Democrat party given he's a leftist by basically any metric.

And I do think his campaign lost steam independently of Harris coming in.

Were a little off the original path here. I definitely think she can win for sure (the Dem machine is most powerful) but I don't think its at all a slam dunk. We can disagree.

Truthfully it's hard to predict, some points either of us say could have merit but who knows how the whole thing is rly going to play out. We will see.

Lastly I don't know if you saw, but Bernie talked about it recently, this clip is candid & interesting imo

Spoiler

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Desmenko 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Right wing media " Democrats are brining out the heroes of the past; something the republicans didn't do, as they are about the future.

reality - the heroes of the republican past, wanted nothing to do with shit show of today's repugnicant party; so declined to  appear.

If Barry Goldwater was still alive (basically the Godfather of Conservatives), he wouldn't get asked given his stance on gays in the military ("I don't care if a soldier is straight or not so as long as he can shoot straight" as well as other issues like right wing so-called Christians hijacking the party).

• Upvote 1

@SilentSam posted a tweet about this in a different thread. Of course Trump and Bibi are denying it happened, but it certainly sounds exactly like something Donald Trump would do:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-815675

The Prime Minister's Office categorically rejected a recent PBS report that claimed Trump may have urged Netanyahu to reject the recent US-advanced hostage deal proposal, the office said on Wednesday.

"The reporting is that former President Trump is on the phone with the Prime Minister of Israel, urging him not to cut a deal right now, because it’s believed it would help the Harris campaign," said PBS NewsHour host Judy Woodruff.

Imagine being this kind of asshole.....wanting a war to continue, because a ceasefire might help your political opponent......a war where civilians, many of them children, are dying.... :classic_dry:

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Does it get anymore past than Kid Rock and Hulk Hogan????

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

@SilentSam posted a tweet about this in a different thread. Of course Trump and Bibi are denying it happened, but it certainly sounds exactly like something Donald Trump would do:

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/article-815675

Imagine being this kind of asshole.....wanting a war to continue, because a ceasefire might help your political opponent......a war where civilians, many of them children, are dying.... :classic_dry:

As he did with the border deal, no, nothing surprises me with that piece of garbage.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Like in Canada, it's not necessarily about how many votes you get, but more about where you get those votes from.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think your rationale is incorrect. They didn't replace Biden because he was declining, they replaced Biden because it got so bad even they knew they couldn't drag him across the finish line. 

Sorry, I don't see the difference. Biden was declining rapidly that he couldn't get Dems across the finish line. Cause and effect. Doesn't contradict anything here. 

The big thing your leaving out is the brazen lying. The responsible/correct thing was not to run a big propaganda campaign that he was actually sharp as a tack. If they cared about doing the right thing they would've acknowledged Biden's cognitive decline & made a move to push him out sooner (they had grounds & an available process), or just not have ran him in the first place. But it seems apparently that if they could've dragged Biden's corpse across the finish line again they absolutely would have.

His state of the union performance played a large part to why the Dem didn't push him out sooner. Had he fumbled during that, there would be a push. Truth of the matter is Biden did not publicly display any serious decline till the debate. As a party you can't force out an incumbent when he or she does not publicly cause issues or rapid decline. That would resonate more with voters of some sort of Dem push out if Biden coming off of his state ifntrb union address compared to doing so after a disastorous debate. That would be political suicide. 

I don't think normies who saw things like Biden falling up stairs, forgetting what he's talking about mid-sentence, wandering aimlessly, exc believe he was mentally capable of running the country nor did they buy (or maybe even see much of) the propaganda campaign assuring people their eyes were incorrect. Maybe this will manifest in more of a long term thing, but them dropping the mask cost trust & I don't think will have 0 effect.

It has 0 effect in the overall picture cause unlike you or me that are political nerds, your normie voters don't pay that much attention. You think people are glued to c-span watching Biden go up to air force one. Don't bring up Twitter cause that is also not where most people actually spend their time. 

Also so far I have yet to see any Dem or even many independents bringing up aboutblosing trust of the Dems over this. It is only brought up by right wing media and maga followers on social media. 

If you see otherwise, please bring up examples. 

The other thing to clear up is what we mean by normies, normies nowadays aren't soccer moms watching good morning America, or old people watching nightly news (there are few of those), they are people on social media for whom examples of Biden's issues would've been unavoidable (many memes) & I doubt people who don't pay attention to politics regularly could've regarded it as normal.

You over estimate effect of social media. Twitter have more of an influence internationally than domestically. Only around 20% of domestic Americans spend significant time on Twitter and that is already the largest social media platform other than tiktok. 

Your normie are your labor workers who are more concerned with making ends meet and their own lives than constantly paying attention to social media or glued to cable news about politics. 

I can understand the sentiment though as our own experience being part of that politicized community can make us feel we are way bigger than we are. It is only natural. 

And also not all normies are necessarily just scraping by either.

This is another thing that could hurt them though. It seems like some non-political people feel worse off today than the Trump years, and normies aren't going to care what statistics the Dems flaunt in response when people are struggling.

It may not even be fair, but it doesn't matter, and Harris is going to be directly linked to this given she was in the previous administration.

Sure, that is a valid concern and may drag on Harris. It depends on how her message lands. No arguments there. 

Right wing means little in this context, left uses 'right wing' to label someone/something as out-group then dismiss. Though I do think the whole paradigm is shifting.

When I say right wing is because your framing and argument comes directly from Trump's camp or right wing media. It has nothing to do with labeling or dismissing anything. I say that directly about Dem damaging trust and how Harris "pulled out of debates" because that is literally only brought up by the right. You don't see me labelling average families economic concerns as some sort of right framing cause that is coming out across the paradigm. 

And also I don't know that polls are always reliable anyways. We remember 2016 I'm sure.

The only time it was very wrong was in 2016 and even then the popular vote aligned with the polls. Post 2016, polls have a right bias more than anything if anything. 

I think relatively high RFK support was not merely a consequence of being a marginally more palatable 3rd option to Trump/Biden. There are 3rd options every year if you just can't stomach the 2 main choices, this phenomena is something more imo. We could discuss it deeper (I don't rly care to ATM) but I do think a part of it - atleast initially - was a fundamental disenchantment with the Democrat party given he's a leftist by basically any metric.

And I do think his campaign lost steam independently of Harris coming in.

That is true for both side. You also have people from the GOP that are disenchanted by the GOP by their Trumpian politics. RFK Jr high level of support was due to double haters. If you want to say RFK losing stem independent of Harris then we just have to agree to disagree. His bear and brainworm story certainly didn't help. 

Were a little off the original path here. I definitely think she can win for sure (the Dem machine is most powerful) but I don't think its at all a slam dunk. We can disagree.

Truthfully it's hard to predict, some points either of us say could have merit but who knows how the whole thing is rly going to play out. We will see.

No one is saying it is a slam dunk or landslide if being serious. She has momentum right now that gives her more room of error compared to Trump but things can derail. If Iran drags Israel and US into a war then fortunes can change overnight. 

Lastly I don't know if you saw, but Bernie talked about it recently, this clip is candid & interesting imo

Reveal hidden contents

I saw it. Doesn't mean much. End of the day when it came down to Bernie and the establishment, most dem voters picked the establishment candidate. If Bernie can't win without others splitting the vote througout the primaries then he ultimately won't have won either when the field eventually consolidate.

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 4

25 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

As he did with the border deal, no, nothing surprises me with that piece of garbage.

i had posted it in the wrong thread..

there’s been a few reports about this

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

i had posted it in the wrong thread..

there’s been a few reports about this

Again. I'm very skeptical the media is left wing. If this were Harris it would be plastered on all the front pages.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Again. I'm very skeptical the media is left wing. If this were Harris it would be plastered on all the front pages.

Print media has generally been pro Con up here in Canada.  Not sure how it is in the US (but I'd guess it's similiar).  At least with respect to the 'print media'.