US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Again. I'm very skeptical the media is left wing. If this were Harris it would be plastered on all the front pages.

I think this allegation may well be true but 'mainstream media' needs far more proof than someone on  twitter before it publishes something.

46 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

i had posted it in the wrong thread..

there’s been a few reports about this

I'm guessing nothing happens with this, because for whatever reason, the US Justice system doesn't seem interested in holding this POS accountable for his crimes....but...

This information should be helpful when pro-Gaza protesters show up at Kamala's events. Now all she has to do is point to the facts that the Biden administration is trying to help negotiate a Gaza ceasefire, while Donald Trump is trying to undermine it for his personal benefit.

I can't think of a more obvious example for those protesters, as to why they should choose Kamala over Trump.....

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

If I were able to vote, it certainly would have been for Bernie. I would have been pretty annoyed too. I wouldn't have switched to trump but I get why the "change" voter would.

I really think had Hillary not insulted a big voting block things could be a lot different.

A friend went off on how it was all misogyny that Hillary lost. At the time I said no it is because she was an unlikable chicken hawk and a terrible choice whether she had a vagina or a penis. 

Then the name calling, by her, and yelling started. Then 5 minutes later me trying to get her to name one accomplishment or policy by Clinton started...she knew sweet fuck all except that Clinton was a woman...  Proceeded to own her until she stormed off in a huff. It was fun...but also the last time we sat down for a beer together haha.  

Anywho my point is...Hill was a shit candidate and an absolute fuck up by the Dems back then...

• Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Anywho my point is...Hill was a shit candidate and an absolute fuck up by the Dems back then...

She was.

And even at that, no normal person thought the dumb repub shits should vote in a pig like Trump.

Every single one of his voters should be ashamed, all they needed was the "grab'em by the pussy" recordings to know that he was unfit for the top job in their country. Everything else since that recording for me didn't matter. Like i said before, they can believe what they want is 'wrong' with their country and support that, just get a different leader, F'ing cult.

I really do think the basket of deplorables comment brought them out of the hills in a fashion not seen before. I mean, they probably had to be taught how to fill out a ballot, or tie their shoes for that matter, but they came out and it had an effect.

* disclaimer, I am in no way thinking these are the biggest reasons for her loss, just maybe ones that get underestimated before anyone feels the need to write a novel. 

• Cheers 2

They were so close.  They only miscounted by 818,000 jobs...   

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/21/nonfarm-payroll-growth-revised-down-by-818000-labor-department-says.html

Nonfarm payroll growth revised down by 818,000, Labor Department says

The U.S. economy created 818,000 fewer jobs than originally reported in the 12-month period through March 2024, the Labor Department reported Wednesday.

As part of its preliminary annual benchmark revisions to the nonfarm payroll numbers, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said the actual job growth was nearly 30% less than the initially reported 2.9 million from April 2023 through March of this year.

The revision to the total payrolls level of -0.5% is the largest since 2009. The numbers are routinely revised each month, but the BLS does a broader revision each year when it gets the results of the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages.

Wall Street had been waiting for the revisions numbers, with many economists expecting a sizeable reduction in the originally reported figures. The new numbers, if they hold up when the BLS issues its final revisions in February, imply monthly job gains of 174,000 during the period, as opposed to the initial indication of 242,000.

Even with the revisions, job creation during the period stood at more than 2 million, but the report could be seen as an indication that the labor market is not as strong as the previous BLS reporting had made it out to be. That in turn could provide further impetus for the Federal Reserve to start lowering interest rates.

“The labor market appears weaker than originally reported,” said Jeffrey Roach, chief economist at LPL Financial. “A deteriorating labor market will allow the Fed to highlight both sides of the dual mandate and investors should expect the Fed to prepare markets for a cut at the September meeting.”

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They were so close.  They only miscounted by 818,000 jobs...   

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/21/nonfarm-payroll-growth-revised-down-by-818000-labor-department-says.html

Nonfarm payroll growth revised down by 818,000, Labor Department says

The U.S. economy created 818,000 fewer jobs than originally reported in the 12-month period through March 2024, the Labor Department reported Wednesday.

As part of its preliminary annual benchmark revisions to the nonfarm payroll numbers, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said the actual job growth was nearly 30% less than the initially reported 2.9 million from April 2023 through March of this year.

The revision to the total payrolls level of -0.5% is the largest since 2009. The numbers are routinely revised each month, but the BLS does a broader revision each year when it gets the results of the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages.

Wall Street had been waiting for the revisions numbers, with many economists expecting a sizeable reduction in the originally reported figures. The new numbers, if they hold up when the BLS issues its final revisions in February, imply monthly job gains of 174,000 during the period, as opposed to the initial indication of 242,000.

Even with the revisions, job creation during the period stood at more than 2 million, but the report could be seen as an indication that the labor market is not as strong as the previous BLS reporting had made it out to be. That in turn could provide further impetus for the Federal Reserve to start lowering interest rates.

“The labor market appears weaker than originally reported,” said Jeffrey Roach, chief economist at LPL Financial. “A deteriorating labor market will allow the Fed to highlight both sides of the dual mandate and investors should expect the Fed to prepare markets for a cut at the September meeting.”

Saw this and was surprised that the stock market still ended the day strong.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The big thing your leaving out is the brazen lying. The responsible/correct thing was not to run a big propaganda campaign that he was actually sharp as a tack. If they cared about doing the right thing they would've acknowledged Biden's cognitive decline & made a move to push him out sooner (they had grounds & an available process), or just not have ran him in the first place. But it seems apparently that if they could've dragged Biden's corpse across the finish line again they absolutely would have.

I don't think normies who saw things like Biden falling up stairs, forgetting what he's talking about mid-sentence, wandering aimlessly, exc believe he was mentally capable of running the country nor did they buy (or maybe even see much of) the propaganda campaign assuring people their eyes were incorrect. Maybe this will manifest in more of a long term thing, but them dropping the mask cost trust & I don't think will have 0 effect.

I know 24k has already responded to this but geez....

I find this is one of the more confusing RW attacks used by MAGA. 

You have a very loose definition of "brazen lying".  You may be absolutely correct in your statement "if they could've dragged Biden's corpse across the finish line again they absolutely would have.".  But that isn't the same thing as keeping some truth (about Biden's decline) secret.  The evidence was more and more frequently coming out, live, on camera, for all to see. 

But if Joe Biden, who was a representative working in Washington for 50 years, and tried many times to run to be the nominee and failed, then got a taste of the White House, so close to what he had wanted, for eight long years. And then finally getting his shot at POTUS.  Can you blame him for not wanting to give it up? Can you imagine the shit show and division in Democrat delegates if top Democrats had actually forced him out a year ago against his will? Especially after his clear and effective State of the Union address? Why do you even think this could be possible?  But R's are desperate for any talking point attack, no matter how dumb.

Trump was also showing cognitive decline. shuffling meekly down a ramp being helped by a military officer.  Drinking a glass of water having to hold it with two hands. And his ever increasing slurs and mispronouncements and gibberish in his speeches.  Can you imagine the MAGA base if Trump was forced out of consideration as  their nominee a year ago, by top brass Republicans?  Of course not. 

The Democrats are not in a cult like R's so its a different situation.  I only bring it up to make a point. That no leader, especially one already elected to a first term, by 8 million votes, to the position of the most powerful person on the planet, would be easily swayed to step down......just because advisors are telling you that in a year's time, you will decline so badly that you will be unelectable.  Not gonna happen.

No, Democrats did it the right way, allowing Joe to make the final decision. Apparently Harris, smartly, ran as far away as possible from being a part of that D group that was urging Joe to step down. Even if, leaving it up to him, it seemed his bowing out was done too late when it happened.  Which is why R's were openly rooting for him to step down as well. They were picturing some last minute  contentious primary from D's where CNN etc would be highlighting the divisiveness between the candidates. How D's are in 'disarray' going into November. Which is what Democrats were also fearful  of. I was as well. Which is why "if they could've dragged Biden's corpse across the finish line again they absolutely would have.".

It was a bit of sheer good luck for D's that Harris turned out to be so attractive and charismatic once she was given the spotlight.  I highly doubt she'd have been picked in that rushed primary. D's are notoriously conservative and spineless when it comes to going out of the box from establishment corporate owned wealthier Democrats who know hos to play the game.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘He’s An Angry Man’: Trump Rants About Biden ‘Sunbathing’ And ‘Seething’ In California After ‘COUP’

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/hes-an-angry-man-trump-rants-about-biden-sunbathing-and-seething-in-california-after-coup/

Trump is so lost without his dear friend Biden. lol

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Saw this and was surprised that the stock market still ended the day strong.

Trust me, it's one big bubble.  The bubble is so big, I don't even have the words for it.  Could be the biggest bubble ever.  Yuuuggeee bubble.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  🤨

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Trust me, it's one big bubble.  The bubble is so big, I don't even have the words for it.  Could be the biggest bubble ever.  Yuuuggeee bubble.  Don't say I didn't warn you.  🤨

My stocks are my classic car fund...I dont put real money in there. Cash some out whenever I want some work done on a ride.

When do you think the bubble might burst?

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I know someone already posted the meme of this, but you gotta hear it in all its glory.......ouch!

Michelle could easily win POTUS if she wanted to. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My stocks are my classic car fund...I dont put real money in there. Cash some out whenever I want some work done on a ride.

When do you think the bubble might burst?

I hate making predictions really.  Sometime between October 2024 and Spring 2025?  

This market has been overvalued for a long time.  Put it this way, if you sell now you may lose out on 5-10% gains in the next 6-12 months.  That's your risk to selling.  However, if you stay in the market and it crashes, your risk is 50-60% losses.  That's the way I see it.  To each his own though.  I could be wrong.  Or I could be right.  I do have some history in making predictions though.  Remember when I said they will do the switcheroo with Biden back in February?  That was something that nobody else predicted.  I knew it was coming though.  How did I know?  Can't tell you...   😉

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I know someone already posted the meme of this, but you gotta hear it in all its glory.......ouch!

First of all, don't get me wrong. It's a glorious speech. However, I see a lot of posts from the left where statements like these will be shown with some title of "we got him!"

And I just can't help but think with these left leaning channels: "Sure, you 'got him'... but you're also preaching to the choir... is it actually convincing the voters who are going to matter?"

Edited by The Lock

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

She might still be the nominee.  I predicted this months ago.  Let's see what happens...

They already made it official. Zero chance it happens even if Harris were to die between now and November especially after Tim Walz was picked for VP with his positive momentum possibly being larger than Harris, Trump, and Vance combined. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

They already made it official. Zero chance it happens even if Harris were to die between now and November especially after Tim Walz was picked for VP with his positive momentum possibly being larger than Harris, Trump, and Vance combined. 

Yeah Walz has been killing it actually. He might be the real danger to Trump.

It's actually hard not to like the guy after even just a few words out of his mouth.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Lots can happen between now and November.  Trust me bro...

And Walz is pretty meh, so not sure why you are pumping him so hard...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lots can happen between now and November.  Trust me bro...

And Walz is pretty meh, so not sure why you are pumping him so hard...

and JD Vance is? Do you really take yourself serious?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm guessing nothing happens with this, because for whatever reason, the US Justice system doesn't seem interested in holding this POS accountable for his crimes....but...

This information should be helpful when pro-Gaza protesters show up at Kamala's events. Now all she has to do is point to the facts that the Biden administration is trying to help negotiate a Gaza ceasefire, while Donald Trump is trying to undermine it for his personal benefit.

I can't think of a more obvious example for those protesters, as to why they should choose Kamala over Trump.....

Maybe Harris should send Trump to the Hague and have him tried for his crimes against humanity there.  

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1