US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We'll know for sure in a little over 3 months.  Even if I'm right, he better get his campaign in much better shape or he's gonna lose and the wolves will come out full force to tear him apart.

Trump really has less than a month seeing early voting starts as early as mid September. 

The way I see it, the debate is his last chance barring war breaking out in the middle east. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Everyone wants to refer to 2016, but that's a bad comparison because it was unknown at the time how wonky the polls would be to the actual outcome. Voters haven't been blindsided much since. If anything, voters are more up in arms and divided.

Because of this, our baseline is 2020. Those are the voters who turned out either to vote for Biden or vote against Trump, more likely the later. Then Trump calling election interference happened. Then Jan 6 happened. Then the documents issue happened. Then the criminal cases happened. Based on all of this, why would someone, who either voted for Biden or voted against Trump, suddenly want to vote for Trump? Not saying no one would do this at all, but there's unlikely going to be a lot of give with this.

Mark my words. No matter what the polls say, no matter what cherry picking is done, if you think logically on it... Trump has very little chance so long as people are still up in arms and not complacent... and the only effect 2016 would have on now is making sure voters are NOT complacent.

So you can say all you want about what may or may not happened, focus on 2016, focus on whatever else. The only voters to really worry about are the ones who didn't vote 2020... and I'm not all that worried about that as well.

(Edited errors from needing to go to bed)

I just tried to go to bed.  I couldn't get to sleep.

I think I can argue this one to fit both ways 2016 & 2020 parallels.  I typed out 4 paragraphs and then realized that what I've said before still rings true.  This race is going to likely boil down on how much people blame the Democrats for their tabletop economics.

I could have saved myself 15 minutes if I wasn't half asleep and just responded tomorrow... lol

12 minutes ago, 24K said:

Trump really has less than a month seeing early voting starts as early as mid September. 

The way I see it, the debate is his last chance barring war breaking out in the middle east. 

Mail-in voting always favours the Democrats.  That's why the Republicans keep trying to get rid of it.  Now that most of the courts won't let them nix it altogether, they're reducing the number of collection boxes in some states and putting them in the least trafficked and least needed spots.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They're going to do that anyways aren't they?  Especially since their fearless leader has already proclaimed they have all the votes they need not that long ago.

I would think so.  The thing about cults is that they're unpredictable.  Dear leader is full of false bravado.

As for feeling like 2016 again, I don't see the Dems following a 'nickle defense' protecting a touchdown lead (course the Dems have been known to snatch defeats from the jaws of victory before so......).  Roe vs Wade gives enough motivation I think for enough Independ. to select Harris.

The Democrats this time around seem like they're trying to be more careful.  That's why Kamala isn't speaking with the press.  The whole price fixing thing was a bit of a ham-handed stumble though.

Abortion is only running at 8%.   https://www.statista.com/statistics/1362236/most-important-voter-issues-us/

Key of course, is the Dems have to keep applying the pressure to election day.  They've got a vast 'war chest'.  Spend it wisely in close battleground states.  

Trump has a large chest as well, but you nailed it with "spend it wisely".  Right now Trump isn't taking the best advantage of his cash.

9 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Did Billy C’s speech tank the campaign?

No cause honestly no body cares and he didn't say anything out of left field. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Democrats this time around seem like they're trying to be more careful.  That's why Kamala isn't speaking with the press.  The whole price fixing thing was a bit of a ham-handed stumble though.

I always find press conference to be stupid for candidates. You have pressers to announce something not a public q and a. 

She will sit down for interviews I would imagine soon after the convention when things settle down a bit and she have all her ducks in a row. 

I agree the whole food gouging thing was a horrible roll out. The lack of details opened up attack and allowed the right to frame it rather than Harris defining what it actually is which truthfully we still don't know yet. 

It is never a top of the list issue but election after election have proven it is a turnout driver and at this point it is a turnout election. 

Trump has a large chest as well, but you nailed it with "spend it wisely".  Right now Trump isn't taking the best advantage of his cash.

Lol he funnels a huge chunk of it to his legal bills. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 24K said:

Lol he funnels a huge chunk of it to his legal bills. 

I am confused here. I though he couldn't get good lawyers because he never paid them what he owed. Having said that, I read somewhere that Alina Habba received $2M. For those with short memory spans, she was the lawyer who opted for trial by judge and who sat while her client was found guilty on every count. So may be pays the one that reminds him of Melania.

7 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We'll know for sure in a little over 3 months.  Even if I'm right, he better get his campaign in much better shape or he's gonna lose and the wolves will come out full force to tear him apart.

The GOP had the opportunity to support Haley and did not. A Trump defeat will hopefully cleanse the party of the sleeze. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The GOP had the opportunity to support Haley and did not. A Trump defeat will hopefully cleanse the party of the sleeze. 

She would've been an effective VP to the point of handling alot of the campaigning (as the head guy is getting close to Sleepy Joe's type of energy).  But I doubt Donnie would want his #2 to upstage him (his ego wouldn't allow it).

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I am confused here. I though he couldn't get good lawyers because he never paid them what he owed. Having said that, I read somewhere that Alina Habba received $2M. For those with short memory spans, she was the lawyer who opted for trial by judge and who sat while her client was found guilty on every count. So may be pays the one that reminds him of Melania.

Well there are legal bills than just lawyers and he couldn't get good lawyers also because he is an uncontrollable dependent. 

That said, I was playing more into the online meme about him needing to using campaign funds to pay for all legal fees. I'm not sure if it is even legal tbh but he probably is reserving a huge chunk tinoay for lawyers to challenge the election. I guess same goes with Harris retaining the largest number of lawyers ready to defend shannigans Trump will pull should he lose. 

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It will be absolutely disgusting if they let a Palestinian address at the convention. 

I agree/understand the decision to not allow anyone to speak at the DNC that is urging people to vote for a 3rd party. That just makes sense, it's kinda opposite to the whole idea of drumming up support for the Dem party.

However, why could ' a Palestinian' not speak, in general?

Their view on a sad situtaion that effects the whole world should be welcomed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree/understand the decision to not allow anyone to speak at the DNC that is urging people to vote for a 3rd party. That just makes sense, it's kinda opposite to the whole idea of drumming up support for the Dem party.

However, why could ' a Palestinian' not speak, in general?

Their view on a sad situtaion that effects the whole world should be welcomed. 

Does it effect the whole world? 

It's an interesting idea, but if they are going to do this, there are a lot of other global perspectives I'd like to hear as well

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Does it effect the whole world? 

It's an interesting idea, but if they are going to do this, there are a lot of other global perspectives I'd like to hear as well

I think it does.

Balance in the ME is important for all of us. 

I would like lots of other global perspectives too. this one happens to be in a sad 'war'

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think it does.

Balance in the ME is important for all of us. 

I would like lots of other global perspectives too. this one happens to be in a sad 'war'

If they aren't going to also year from Yemen, Sudan, Ukraine, etc. I think it gives it too much focus on one conflict that just leads to more domestic division, imo. 

Wouldn't Israel also require to be heard too, for balance?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

If they aren't going to also year from Yemen, Sudan, Ukraine, etc. I think it gives it too much focus on one conflict that just leads to more domestic division, imo. 

I just watched the video released by Israel showing first hand what happened on 10/07. IMO it takes away any voice the Palestinians can put forward. It will take decades to rebuild any legitimacy in Gaza. The veneer of Israeli acceptance by Suuni countries is more about fear of Iran than recognition of Israel's right to exist or even live their lives.   

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure. Get everyone to the table

But you know very well that this conflict is polarising and has a big political impact in many countries;.

It's part of a division in  the  world. Many countries  and orgs speaking up about this war.

Drag Iran into is and you get a couple steps closer to ww3. 

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sure. Get everyone to the table

But you know very well that this conflict is polarising and has a big political impact in many countries;.

It's part of a division in  the  world. Many countries  and orgs speaking up about this war.

Drag Iran into is and you get a couple steps closer to ww3. 

thats kind of my point tho, it is very polarizing, very emotional and add to that, people often try to piggyback other issues on to it. I'm not sure how many discussions are actually just based on the facts on the ground. 

I also think just having a speaker from the undecided group could end up harming their own cause. 

So, like the man said, it's complicated.