US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

She could say the sky is blue and a portion of the electorate would argue while another portion wouldn't care.  What little policy that has come out of the DNC is miles and miles better than anything the QOP and TRUMP has released.   And I haven't even mentioned the Project 2025 dumpster fire. 

Yes but they are running on vibes right now. Well that last though. This is giving opening to Trump. 

It is not a problem to defend good policies, it is bad trying to deflect no policies. 

Now I am not saying we need like 10,000 page white papers but at this point, the lack of any platform and I guess most importantly a signature legislation like Obamacare is becoming an issue.  

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah, I don't get that either.  I've heard alot more policy talk from her than I have from him.  

Lol, Trump and the Repub have the most detailed policy platform ever. Heck they printed it out in a thousand age manual in project 2025. 

Trump can't talk about it cause he doesn't k ow how to talk about it and 2ndost of the country hates it.

That said, what is missing is a signature policy proposal of her own cause almost everything she said is what Biden said. She is not differentiating herself. That is the issue.  

Edited by 24K

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

My office got temporarily relocated to Michigan avenue in Chicago.

So now every day when I walk to and from the parking garage, I get to see Trump tower and the gigantic Trump sign in all its glory. In Canada's metric system, this sign is 43 meters long.

Maybe he should get Dave Matthews to play at one of his rallies.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 24K said:

Lol, Trump and the Repub have the most detailed policy platform ever. Heck they printed it out in a thousand age manual in project 2025. 

Trump can't talk about it cause he doesn't k ow how to talk about it and 2ndost of the country hates it.

That said, what is missing is a signature policy proposal of her own cause almost everything she said is what Biden said. She is not differentiating herself. That is the issue.  

I think Trump and the repugs are trying to make that the issue......that doesn't mean it actually is an issue.  Is she expected to publish a manifesto?

Expanding on bidens policy isn't a bad thing, he's done a solid job and she was part of that.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, 24K said:

I am not comparing her to Trump, Harris and the Dems should not be playing at the same bar as Trump. 

I respectfully disagree.  Can't be passive against him.  Be on the attack (if nothing else, it gets Herr Sh*tsHisPants triggered into Daffy Duck mode):

(but let her VP guy handle much of that as he's good at it):

The 2016 Dotard would know when to adjust attack strategies.  2024 version has "Sleepy Joe Oldman-i-tis" & doesn't realize he already has the Nazi vote & yet keeps this same message:

Guy can't even get his racist insult straight (confusing First Nations people's with Indians (subcontinent) in 2024.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 3

11 hours ago, 24K said:

Not enough caps. A staffer must got hold of his phone for a few minuets. 

Not to mention punctuation use, better grammar and spelling.

Definitely not written by him, either Vance of a staffer.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Adam Kinzinger with a great speech at the DNC. Principles above party. If more people felt that way, Dolt 45 wouldn’t stand a chance. 

I am sorry to have missed the key parts of the DNC.....on holidays in Peru!

But, IMHO, Adam Kinzinger would make a great US president. He is obviously right leaning, but every time I hear him speak, he speaks as an American first, and has put is country over policy. How can you not respect a man like that!

I do not think he has any ultra left illusions, but I think he could get alot of GOP moderate votes, if he were to run as a Democrat. Certainly, even if never obtaining a Presentual nomination, he would certainly be affective in keeping the Democratic Party to a more central position.

He is my favorite politician at the moment. the other 2,  I really like are Pete Buttigieg, and Andrew Yang. IMO, these 3 candidates, hold 2 terms in a cake walk. 

Too bad the Ultra left, has such a say in who gets voted in, as the Democratic nominee.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I am sorry to have missed the key parts of the DNC.....on holidays in Peru!

But, IMHO, Adam Kinzinger would make a great US president. He is obviously right leaning, but every time I hear him speak, he speaks as an American first, and has put is country over policy. How can you not respect a man like that!

I do not think he has any ultra left illusions, but I think he could get alot of GOP moderate votes, if he were to run as a Democrat. Certainly, even if never obtaining a Presentual nomination, he would certainly be affective in keeping the Democratic Party to a more central position.

He is my favorite politician at the moment. the other 2,  I really like are Pete Buttigieg, and Andrew Yang. IMO, these 3 candidates, hold 2 terms in a cake walk. 

I like him as well, wouldn't be surprised if he got a cabinet position.

3 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Too bad the Ultra left, has such a say in who gets voted in, as the Democratic nominee.

I don't think that the far left is getting their way this time, are they?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

If they did, a guy like Bernie Sanders would be on the top of the ticket (imho).

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

No, I do not think they are, but they would certainly have a voice if Kinzinger were to get traction somewhere in the future

4 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

No, I do not think they are, but they would certainly have a voice if Kinzinger were to get traction somewhere in the future

Could be, but I'm not sure how much real power the far left really has tbh. They certainly didn't get their way with the Palestinian issues. 

• Cheers 1

For some reason, I can not find the quote about Bill Clintons speech at the DNC, but I have been asking this for along time now, why the hell the Democrats do not use the economic stats? 

Unemployment, is only one of the key factors that work for the Dems

Pretty sure the Stock Market stats show the same.....

The GOP uses Covid, but those stats show that the GOP mis diagnosed the entire epidemic and it was the Dems that cleaned it up

They only need to show global trends, and hit hard that under the GOP, they were fall behind, and the Dems came in and fixed it.

On inflation...same thing. The right points at the Dems, but globally, they did an amazing job, and really, in a lot of ways, it was and is the lack of work force that is exacerbating the issue....again Globally!

Really, the US is doing incredible compared to most other countries..................that is what the DEMs need to pound into the voters.

• Vintage 1

On 8/22/2024 at 2:25 AM, Curmudgeon said:

I am confused here. I though he couldn't get good lawyers because he never paid them what he owed. Having said that, I read somewhere that Alina Habba received $2M. For those with short memory spans, she was the lawyer who opted for trial by judge and who sat while her client was found guilty on every count. So may be pays the one that reminds him of Melania.

23 hours ago, 24K said:

Well there are legal bills than just lawyers and he couldn't get good lawyers also because he is an uncontrollable dependent. 

That said, I was playing more into the online meme about him needing to using campaign funds to pay for all legal fees. I'm not sure if it is even legal tbh but he probably is reserving a huge chunk tinoay for lawyers to challenge the election. I guess same goes with Harris retaining the largest number of lawyers ready to defend shannigans Trump will pull should he lose. 

.. early morning Headline today ,.

don’t doubt that he’s being thoroughly investigated:

J Smith loves this stuff .

7D13B433-3F09-41DB-A64E-963E26DAF66B.thumb.png.9da3835cdf9969d6394fd53dea171077.png

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/23/politics/trump-businesses-campaign-spending-invs/index.html

• Cheers 1

The speeches last night proved that abortion is going to be a big topic in the next US election.

Some were saying it's down the card but it seems alomost top of the list.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Guy can't even get his racist insult straight (confusing First Nations people's with Indians (subcontinent) in 2024.

No...... the Dotard has his racist insult straight.

Pocahontas is Trump's childish nickname for Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Senator Warren apparently has some Native American ancestry.

She was giving a speech at the DNC. Triggered the Dotard (Mr. more than 100%).

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Artemus said:

No...... the Dotard has his racist insult straight.

Pocahontas is Trump's childish nickname for Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Senator Warren apparently has some Native American ancestry.

She was giving a speech at the DNC. Triggered the Dotard (Mr. more than 100%).

You're right.

I understand the confusion though.

Maybe Don should learn the term indigenous. 

But, that's a bigly word for him. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You're right.

I understand the confusion though.

Maybe Don should learn the term indigenous. 

But, that's a bigly word for him. 

Yeah that's what I was referring to (he's confusing Harris with Warren).

10 hours ago, 24K said:

Yes but they are running on vibes right now. Well that last though. This is giving opening to Trump. 

It is not a problem to defend good policies, it is bad trying to deflect no policies. 

Now I am not saying we need like 10,000 page white papers but at this point, the lack of any platform and I guess most importantly a signature legislation like Obamacare is becoming an issue.  

I think everything leading up to the convention has just been about getting the electorate familiar with Harris and Walz as they are relatively unknown across the US. This has been about their stories and how they connect with the average american. I didnt know Walz before this but his plain coachspeak is appealing. The policy details will come now that the convention is done and they've outlined their vision in broad strokes more or less this last week. Undecided voters imo, don't sweat over which side has the better 40 page economic plan. They want to see the story, the vision and the character of the leaders. The emotional has always overriden the rational in these elections. They are playing on the publics exhaustion with rage based politics.

Donald meanwhile, has been rage tweeting every attack he can think of and sounding like a bitter old ex. If there is an opening it's not like he's jumping at it rationally. At least not at this point.

Don, when presented with the opening of his opponent having no policy released:

image.png.26361d2afd3dfdc9835d6ec8b05bd7a3.png

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The speeches last night proved that abortion is going to be a big topic in the next US election.

Some were saying it's down the card but it seems alomost top of the list.

People who don't want it to be a major issue are saying that I think.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think everything leading up to the convention has just been about getting the electorate familiar with Harris and Walz as they are relatively unknown across the US. The policy will come now that the convention is done and they've outlined their vision more or less this last week.

Donald has been rage tweeting every attack he can think of and sounding like a bitter old ex. If there is an opening it's not like he's jumping at it.

Easier for an obese, elderly, and brain addled elderly man to campaign from his phone vs having to actually get up & move his fat ass and travel to other cities.  Getting Mr CouchSexAddict on the campaign trail isn't going to help him.

Compare that to the energy on the Dems tickets.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan