US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Surprise!

RFK Jr. suspends campaign and supports Trump

Following his endorsement of the former president today, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will campaign with and for Donald Trump, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.

Allies of both RFK Jr. and Trump have encouraged Kennedy to promote the former president on various platforms, including Tucker Carlson’s show and Joe Rogan’s podcast, with the hope that Kennedy can convince some of his staunchest supporters to back Trump in the election. 

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said former President Donald Trump asked to “enlist him in his administration” during his news conference in Phoenix on Friday. 

Kennedy said the offer came in two meetings with Trump, first in the days after the assassination attempt on Trump in July, and a second meeting weeks later.

“In those meetings, he suggested that we join forces as a unity party. We talked about Abraham Lincoln’s team of rivals, that arrangement would allow us to disagree publicly and privately and furiously, if need be, on issues over which we differ, while working together on the existential issues upon which we are in concordance,” he said.

RFK jr. can't get his own family to support him, so there's that.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 24K said:

Why is it fine to run towards that climate rather than pulling it back to where we want it to be? All we are doing is normalizing it. 

That is what is frustrating me right now. People always run toward the right trying to appease the right while the right keep on running further right to distinguish themselves. That is how US overtone have shifted so much to the right. 

I dont see it that way personally.

It's confronting rather than ape'ing the climate. They're flat out saying that what the Republicans are doing is unacceptable and "weird" and against the common decency. They aren't mud slinging or doing personal attacks. Walz even tried to give JD vance an out by thanking him for his service and reminding everyone the norm was for vets to respect each other.

Difference is now, when the Republicans go low, Dems are kicking them in the teeth rather than stooping down to that level.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

I dont see it that way personally.

It's confronting rather than ape'ing the climate. They're flat out saying that what the Republicans are doing is unacceptable and "weird" and against the common decency. They aren't mud slinging or doing personal attacks. Walz even tried to give JD vance an out by thanking him for his service and reminding everyone the norm was for vets to respect each other.

Difference is now, when the Republicans go low, Dems are kicking them in the teeth rather than stooping down to that level.

Yes the way Dem are behaving is way better than 2016 Clinton bs. 

But even your first statement still make it running the campaign on Republican terms. When you keep on comparing everything to what Trump does you are running on their terms. 

What should be happening is Harris saying Trump have no plan, drill baby drill? We already drill more than any other country. Now here is my plan to make your live actually better. 

That is running on your own terms. 

49 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Quick question: Why are you so insistent that Biden was forced out? What's in it for you? The man has said repeatedly that it was his decision. He's been in politics over 50 years and can certainly see and interpret the political signs. He saw the path to re-election was rapidly closing and rather than drag the party down with him, he did a noble thing: he stepped aside to help the Democrats salvage the presidency AND to prevent that idiot from becoming president again. Why is that hard for you to grasp?

Truth.

Biden stated repeatedly & clearly that he was staying in the race. That's what he wanted.

If this was purely of his own volition, why was there a push within the DNC for him to drop out in the first place? Which was both reported & stated publicly by some. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

9 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

RFK jr. can't get his own family to support him, so there's that.

Some of RFK Jr.'s siblings call his support for Trump a "sad ending to a sad story" 

From CNN's Aaron Pellish

Some of Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s siblings condemned his decision to support former President Donald Trump, calling it a “betrayal of the values that our father and family hold most dear,” in a statement on Friday.

It was issued in the names of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Courtney Kennedy, Kerry Kennedy, Chris Kennedy, Rory Kennedy and reiterated their support for Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate, Gov. Tim Walz.

“We want an America filled with hope and bound together by a shared vision of a brighter future, a future defined by individual freedom, economic promise and national pride. We believe in Harris and Walz. Our brother Bobby’s decision to endorse Trump today is a betrayal of the values that our father and family hold most dear. It is a sad ending to a sad story,” the statement said.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yes the way Dem are behaving is way better than 2016 Clinton bs. 

But even your first statement still make it running the campaign on Republican terms. When you keep on comparing everything to what Trump does you are running on their terms. 

What should be happening is Harris saying Trump have no plan, drill baby drill? We already drill more than any other country. Now here is my plan to make your live actually better. 

That is running on your own terms. 

I don't think so, in the past when Republicans attacked Obama, Clinton with ridiculous personal lines, Dems just took it without response and focused on how superior their policy was and how their opponent had no plan and unqualified. Failing to address that and thinking they could win on policy and 'not being trump' was ceding that narrative realm to the Republicans.

Bullies aren't used to people hitting back, especially hitting back hard in language they and their audience can understand. Definitely not on their terms at all. 

I haven't heard direct responses to neuter Republican talking points like this from a Dem in a while.

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 24K said:

Why is it fine to run towards that climate rather than pulling it back to where we want it to be? All we are doing is normalizing it. 

That is what is frustrating me right now. People always run toward the right trying to appease the right while the right keep on running further right to distinguish themselves. That is how US overtone have shifted so much to the right. 

In 2016 62 million people approved of it

In 2020 74 million people approved of it

It's already been normalized and accepted.

Social media and hyper partisanship have changed the political landscape beyond what you're willing to accept.  Policy means essentially shit unless it can be used as an attack point.

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I don't think so, in the past when Republicans attacked Obama, Clinton with ridiculous personal lines, Dems just took it without response and focused on how superior their policy was and how their opponent had no plan and unqualified. Failing to address that and thinking they could win on policy and 'not being trump' was ceding that narrative realm to the Republicans.

Bullies aren't used to people hitting back, especially hitting back hard in language they and their audience can understand. Definitely not on their terms at all. 

I haven't heard direct responses to neuter Republican talking points like this from a Dem in a while.

You have to fight back. You can't ignore them. But at the same time you can't only do that. You need to define who you are also and not just I am not as bad as the other guy. 

This camapign so far have been relying on I am better than Trump. Vote for me. 

43 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Final night figures yet to come. 

I also like how Harris/Walz packed the arena that hosted the RNC in the middle of their own convention.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/dnc-ratings-rnc-kamala-harris-donald-trump-b2600749.html

DNC ratings smash RNC figures for third night in a row

Nearly 20.2 million viewers tuned in on the third night of the DNC to watch Oprah Winfrey, former president Bill Clinton and Kamala Harris’s running mate Tim Walz

Trump spent years claiming ratings were everything.

Will that change now?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

In 2016 62 million people approved of it

In 2020 74 million people approved of it

It's already been normalized and accepted.

Social media and hyper partisanship have changed the political landscape beyond what you're willing to accept.  Policy means essentially shit unless it can be used as an attack point.

So essentially we are fucked then? It will always be popularity against cults of personalities. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Your position is there was no push to oust him.

Wild. 

He was pushed by many, including Pelosi and Obama.  That's the truth.  Everything else is conjecture.  In the end, and on his own reluctant volition, Biden decided to drop out for the good of his party and their chances to keep the White House (IMHO).

Your fixation on a grand and nefarious conspiracy in this case and the Trump shooting is the wild part.   In this case, it was just politics as usual and politics is not often pretty.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

RFK showing his true colours.

Kinda a shame, I know he is wackadoodle but some people were at least interested in him because he wasnt Trump. I doubt many will follow him.

On a personal note though, I am just hoping I dont have to listen to his voice anymore. It is soo grating I can barely listen. I know it's a condition he has, so maybe a job speaking is not for him...

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

You have to fight back. You can't ignore them. But at the same time you can't only do that. You need to define who you are also and not just I am not as bad as the other guy. 

The last few weeks has been Harris and Walz defining who they are and what they stand for. Heck, they even took the 'Freedom' and 'Greatest Country in the World' Schtick from the Republicans. They barely mentioned Trump by name at all in their speeches (which must also be driving him nuts)

It's not just about being better than Trump, they're making it into a bigger debate than just one person with Project 2025. It's distilling the election to two choices. Going forward and going back. 

And again, their campaign is just a month and two days old, and the ticket with Walz is only two weeks old. There is more to come.

And yes, I absolutely am not underestimating the fact that Republicans can still win this. They have a built in advantage with the electoral college and billions of dollars worth in free / favorable / softball coverage from Fox and OANN. But the Dems are playing their cards pretty well so far.

Edited by DSVII

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

I know they havent got into details yet but they will be better for the M.E.

Better for reproductive rights for women.

Better for hope and the country's unity.

Better for veterans

Better for the middle class ( according to Harris)

Actually you're right.

They'll be better than Trump.

Sold. 

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The last few weeks has been Harris and Walz defining who they are and what they stand for. Heck, they even took the 'Freedom' and 'Greatest Country in the World' Schtick from the Republicans. They barely mentioned Trump by name at all in their speeches (which must also be driving him nuts)

It's not just about being better than Trump, they're making it into a bigger debate than just one person with Project 2025. It's distilling the election to two choices. Going forward and going back. 

And again, their campaign is just a month and two days old, there is more to come.

And yes, I absolutely am not underestimating the fact that Republicans can still win this. They have a built in advantage with the electoral college and billions of dollars in free / favorable /softball coverage from Fox and OANN. But the Dems are playing their cards pretty well so far.

I was defending them on not enough what we gonna do upto to this point cause of the short time frame but this is now after the convention.  There is no more excuses to not even have a policy page on their website. 

You have the biggest stage you will ever get in this camapgin and did not use it to define who you are. That is a major failure on the campaign. 

15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

He was pushed by many, including Pelosi and Obama.  That's the truth.  Everything else is conjecture.  In the end, and on his own reluctant volition, Biden decided to drop out for the good of his party and their chances to keep the White House (IMHO).

Your fixation on a grand and nefarious conspiracy in this case and the Trump shooting is the wild part.   In this case, it was just politics as usual and politics is not often pretty.

What's the conspiracy I've pushed in this case? You've just agreed with me. Your issue is you don't like 'my framing' because you seemingly take offense to the DNC being cast in a negative light.

Neither of us were behind closed doors to know exactly how much 'volition' Biden exercised in the matter, unless you have secret conversations you would share? And hey you might be completely right, maybe Pelosi showed him a few polls & he entirely changed his mind on the matter, I don't know but my opinion is there was no possibility of him continuing on regardless how far they had to go.

But regardless we know (and seem to agree) that he was pushed to this after making it clear he didn't want to drop out. So.. sorry I don't share your faith in the benevolence of politicians I guess. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

What's the conspiracy I've pushed in this case? You've just agreed with me. Your issue is you don't like my framing because you don't you take offense to the DNC being cast in a negative light.

Neither of us were behind closed doors to know exactly how much 'volition' Biden exercised in the matter, unless you have secret conversations you would share? And hey you might be completely right & you may not be, I don't know but my opinion is there was no possibility of him continuing on regardless how far they had to go.

But regardless we know (and seem to agree) that he was pushed to this after making it clear he didn't want to drop out. So.. sorry I don't share your faith in the benevolence of politicians I guess. 

I am most definitely not defending the DNC.  I have no more insider information than you do and only know what I've read.  I am not the one voicing my personal opinions as facts though, nor am I trying to promote ideas that I can't back up.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

RFK showing his true colours.

Kinda a shame, I know he is wackadoodle but some people were at least interested in him because he wasnt Trump. I doubt many will follow him.

On a personal note though, I am just hoping I dont have to listen to his voice anymore. It is soo grating I can barely listen. I know it's a condition he has, so maybe a job speaking is not for him...

Being outside of an insane asylum isn't for him 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I blame childhood trauma. Having your dad assassinated at a young age can really fuck you up. 

Yet the rest of his siblings turned into respectable people, unlike this worthless piece of trash.  He haa nothing but himself to blame for how badly he is disgracing his family by openly supporting Nazism.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2