US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Trump spent years claiming ratings were everything.

Will that change now?

He'll claim they are rigged.  Yet for years he boasted about his Apprentice ratings.  Par for the course I guess.

He'll be raging about this today I guess.  She beat him.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamala-harris-dnc-speech-crushed-ratings-for-donald-trumps-acceptance-address

Harris Crushes Trump by 22% in Convention Speech Ratings

The former president—who angrily posted throughout Harris’ Thursday night speech—lost badly in the ratings contest that matters so much to him.

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Truth.

Biden stated repeatedly & clearly that he was staying in the race. That's what he wanted.

If this was purely of his own volition, why was there a push within the DNC for him to drop out in the first place? Which was both reported & stated publicly by some. 

I don't think there was a push to oust him or that he was ousted........people have to much respect for Biden to do that.  I think there was a push to help him see the reality of the situation and to see what it would mean for the country.

I also think there's an outside chance this was the plan all along

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Truth.

Biden stated repeatedly & clearly that he was staying in the race. That's what he wanted.

If this was purely of his own volition, why was there a push within the DNC for him to drop out in the first place? Which was both reported & stated publicly by some. 

You're over complicating it....

Biden thought he was the only one who could beat Trump. In 2020, that was likely true, but this is four years later.

After his disastrous debate, several people (including his family members) eventually convinced him that this was no longer the case and it was likely that staying in the race would lead to a second Donald Trump administration.

The fact that it took a week or so for him to be convinced isn't unusual. In fact, I'd say it's typical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

To my untrained layman eyes, I don't think they're relying solely on vibes.

It's possible their strategy is to keep policy details tight to the chest while outlining in broad strokes what they plan to do - for the sole reason that it requires less energy to attack than it is to defend.  If they put out policy details too early on in the process, then the policy details become a focal point of attack, and they'll end up spending valuable time and energy trying to defend the details through the media instead of using that time and energy to reach as much of the electorate as possible.

And, as has been pointed out, the GOP hasn't put out anything of substance for their policies yet, so why make an easy target for them to attack by splaying your planned policies so early?

Just my USD $0.02.

Agreed. Kamala and Walz are currently on a getting to know you, phase of their campaign. If I had a dollar for every time someone on here said that Kamala is not likeable, I would be set for life.

Watching Harris and Walz this past week, I fell in love.

Not in the same way that The Dotatd fell in love with lil Kim though. (Ewww).

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

You crack me up Sam. Back at you

IMG_0299.jpeg

I think it’s great that he’s become the biggest loser in the world to laugh at ,.

and I will applaud loudly when he goes to jail.

The heat is going to rise on SCOTUS ,.…and I believe Biden gets to add ?  Before he leaves office?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I know they havent got into details yet but they will be better for the M.E.

Better for reproductive rights for women.

Better for hope and the country's unity.

Better for veterans

Better for the middle class ( according to Harris)

Actually you're right.

They'll be better than Trump.

Sold. 

....better for Ukraine....

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unmarried because most unmarried men are Republicans 🤪

That’s a pretty wild stat. So the majority of married people are Republican and the majority of unmarried people are Democrats?  That’s wild. 

Also, doesn’t this confirm that the single cat ladies are Democrats?

6 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Were you watching he same DNC that I watched? I saw and heard them champion freedom, forward progress, equity, women's rights, immigration reform, economic opportunity, commitment to the Affordable Care Act and Medicare, commitment to preserving Social Security, commitment to maintaining the Department of Education, commitment to the preservation of LGBTQ+ rights, sensible gun laws, restoration of the Child Tax Credit, commitment to lowering drug prices for all Americans, more affordable housing, strengthening the middle class, supporting Ukraine and NATO and seeking a ceasefire and two-state solution between Israel and the Palestinians. My God, if that doesn't define who they are I don't now WTF you need to be convinced.

80% of that is just standard Dem positions. 

It is not just me, go watch the CNN focus group. They all have the same message. Too little policy details.

Note, the guy who said he is ginna vote for Trump was a maga that lied his way to this group. 

Now obviously the vibe was enough to convert people. 

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s a pretty wild stat. So the majority of married people are Republican and the majority of unmarried people are Democrats?  That’s wild. 

Also, doesn’t this confirm that the single cat ladies are Democrats?

It is Washington examiner using exit poll data from who knows when. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

80% of that is just standard Dem positions. 

It is not just me, go watch the CNN focus group. They all have the same message. Too little policy details.

Note, the guy who said he is ginna vote for Trump was a maga that lied his way to this group. 

Now obviously the vibe was enough to convert people. 

What more do you need when the other side says:

They want to repeal the ACA.

They want to cut SS and Medicare. 

They want to end the Department of Education. 

National abortion ban

I can go on.

Why is there no push back demanding policy details with the QOP?

Nope, only Kamala has to provide details.

2 hours ago, 24K said:

I was defending them on not enough what we gonna do upto to this point cause of the short time frame but this is now after the convention.  There is no more excuses to not even have a policy page on their website. 

You have the biggest stage you will ever get in this camapgin and did not use it to define who you are. That is a major failure on the campaign. 

Again, they have been telling us what they are and what they stand for, continuously since before the convention began. And even their policies, which you are saying is standard Dem stuff, that is their identity then. Which is more substantive than what the GOP is giving out right now.

And when you said you want policy, there were some broad examples and the overall vision presented, which you're kind of writing it off as generic. I'm not sure what more do you want to hear from them at this stage?

I'm also not sure how you are seeing the Democrats as walking on a knife's edge and any small failure is going to compound into this gigantic Republican response? 

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, this is wild. Brittany Mahomes, wife of the best player in the NFL and BFF to Taylor Swift, is apparently a Trump supporter!!  🤯

Instagram is going nuts right now!!  

She even issued a response to her liking a Trump post…

IMG_2100.jpeg

Not surprised really, a lot of sports athletes I'd imagine would lean Republican, even some on our own Canucks team.