US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

RFK showing his true colours.

Kinda a shame, I know he is wackadoodle but some people were at least interested in him because he wasnt Trump. I doubt many will follow him.

On a personal note though, I am just hoping I dont have to listen to his voice anymore. It is soo grating I can barely listen. I know it's a condition he has, so maybe a job speaking is not for him...

RFK is the ultimate affirmative action hire by Drump. He’ll fit right in with JD Vance on the campaign trail. Only the best people. 

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I've always thought that was weird. Americans are careful to refer to black people as "African Americans", but they still use the term "indian". Where I live, that term is borderline racist.

I usually refer to them as Native American or by their tribes name if I know it, around Midwest we have Potawatomi, Illini, Oneida, Sauk, Shawnee etc. Lately, I have been hearing that American Indian is the more preferred term.
When I hear Indian, my first thought is that we are talking about people from India.

13 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I miss the days when people could be respectful and decent to each other, not caring about political leanings.   

I think both sides are horrible.  
White trash…..cucks…..  they are all garbage and all the same. 
But I remember a time when it didn’t really matter. 

Remember when your dad would never talk about who he was voting for?  
hahah.  

There used to be a time when people would keep their politely opinions to themselves and judge each other by character.  
Most people would think someone willing to call 50% of the population ‘repugnant’ is a total cunt.  
I miss those days.  

Half of 50 percent and 'deplorables'. Ironic enough it was for supporting a man who is incapable of the decorum you describe in your first sentence. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I miss the days when people could be respectful and decent to each other, not caring about political leanings.   

hahah.  

There used to be a time when people would keep their politely opinions to themselves and judge each other by character.  
Most people would think someone willing to call 50% of the population ‘repugnant’ is a total cunt.  
I miss those days.  

I just had this exact conversation.

In the real world, I don't care a damned thing about who people vote for or why.  It's literally none of my business.  Means nothing to me.

live my life by old fashioned conservative ish values.  Do what you want in your life, just don't come to me about every aspect of it.  Your life is your life and unless it affects me, my kids or my home it's fine by me.

Doesn't mean I won't take jabs at people who take things like this far to seriously.

It used to be ok to make light of things like this, now it's a life or death fight.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

RFK is the ultimate affirmative action hire by Drump. He’ll fit right in with JD Vance on the campaign trail. Only the best people. 

A DEI hire of a person with obvious mental deficiencies.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2a289ef8df6861538839d14bfdf3490d.jpeg

Someone must have shown the Dotard how to use the CaPlOcK key again. Woman can rest easy with Dolt 45 in charge. Donnie must have dropped some acid before posting this. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Someone must have shown the Dotard how to use the CaPlOcK key again. Woman can rest easy with Dolt 45 in charge. Donnie must have dropped some acid before posting this. 

If you are so inclined check out clips of Trump's "speech" in Glendale Friday night. He's melting.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think the 'both sides' argument is misleading at best.

There is no compromise with the way the social conservatives have taken over the GOP.  None.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Barry Goldwater

That applies to the cons on Canada too.  I can't stand this "both sides" crap.  It isn't even close to both sides

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

hahah.  

I miss those days.  

So very true. I am a boomer so my Dad fought in WW2. What I saw growing up in the 50's & 60's were many examples of what you are talking about. Families actually interacted in the community and most knew one another more than a passing nod. My parents helped those that needed it and actually thought about what was good for the community. My experience today is that the vast majority of people are willing to have government do everything for them. They stand aside as Government takes more and more responsibility with the attending costs and loss of personal initiative. Society is becoming weaker for it. 

My boyhood friends father was an alcoholic. At times he could be violent. My parents never said I could not go to their house. At some point I think I asked about his behavior. My Dad said he drank because of what happened to him the war. I don't know what my parents and their friends did to support them but I do know they were always included in community events and their kids all graduated and went on to good jobs. For all their personal struggles they were a close family.

Today I see people of all ages living their lives on social media. It is a forum which encourages rudeness and personal attacks. It is a sound bite life which is pretty empty IMHO. Politicians should not be the only beacon for a better life. Trump and Harris are here today but will be gone at some point. Rather than character attacks on GOP and Dems supporters people should investigate the basis for their thought. Much of what they are thinking, I think, stems from the negative messaging from social media. Seriously, Trump will get 45-50% of the vote in November. Does that mean that number of people in the USA are mindless, low IQ, greedy cowboys? Why does someone like Trump garner that support when his character is so questionable? Why does Kamala Harris become the 2nd coming of quality candidate when she was roundly discounted and quickly fell out of the race against Biden for the nomination in 2020? We can only hope that whomever wins in November will rise to the challenge and do a good job. They are the only choices we have.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

That applies to the cons on Canada too.  I can't stand this "both sides" crap.  It isn't even close to both sides

The main thing that's saved us from US style division is our multi party system. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

So very true. I am a boomer so my Dad fought in WW2. What I saw growing up in the 50's & 60's were many examples of what you are talking about. Families actually interacted in the community and most knew one another more than a passing nod. My parents helped those that needed it and actually thought about what was good for the community. My experience today is that the vast majority of people are willing to have government do everything for them. They stand aside as Government takes more and more responsibility with the attending costs and loss of personal initiative. Society is becoming weaker for it. 

My boyhood friends father was an alcoholic. At times he could be violent. My parents never said I could not go to their house. At some point I think I asked about his behavior. My Dad said he drank because of what happened to him the war. I don't know what my parents and their friends did to support them but I do know they were always included in community events and their kids all graduated and went on to good jobs. For all their personal struggles they were a close family.

Today I see people of all ages living their lives on social media. It is a forum which encourages rudeness and personal attacks. It is a sound bite life which is pretty empty IMHO. Politicians should not be the only beacon for a better life. Trump and Harris are here today but will be gone at some point. Rather than character attacks on GOP and Dems supporters people should investigate the basis for their thought. Much of what they are thinking, I think, stems from the negative messaging from social media. Seriously, Trump will get 45-50% of the vote in November. Does that mean that number of people in the USA are mindless, low IQ, greedy cowboys? Why does someone like Trump garner that support when his character is so questionable? Why does Kamala Harris become the 2nd coming of quality candidate when she was roundly discounted and quickly fell out of the race against Biden for the nomination in 2020? We can only hope that whomever wins in November will rise to the challenge and do a good job. They are the only choices we have.   

Turn off social media, and just look at the laws parties support, or don't support. It becomes pretty obvious in a hurry who cares about community building and peoples rights, vs who has a selfish agenda.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

When Reagan rolled over Mondale in 1984 in that landslide win, the later still got just over 40% of the vote.  It's just a consequence of a two party state.

The 45-50% that do end up voting for a multiple times convicted felon over a former DA tells me something and it ain't good I'm afraid.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

The main thing that's saved us from US style division is our multi party system. 

I don't disagree, but that same part of society, who believe conspiracy theories and who just generally want to be assholes because they have the right to be assholes, have chosen to partition themselves off from the rest of society to a degree.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't disagree, but that same part of society, who believe conspiracy theories and who just generally want to be assholes because they have the right to be assholes, have chosen to partition themselves off from the rest of society to a degree.  

hey, its you who's dividing us, man 😄 

there's always been asshats. I am not quite a boomer but can still remember the end of the good old days, when people also had a lot of conformity pressure and if you were different in any way were quickly on the outside. Things like abuse went on unquestioned and purposely unnoticed.  It wasn't Pleasantville for a lot of people. 

What worries me in the next election isn't losing Trudeau (he's run his race imo, time to go) its losing a middle party. We can see how the lack of one in the US has led to supporting some very stupid shit into actual law. If Canada chooses to decimate the middle in 2025, not sure we can get it back. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Before "social media", there was televangelism.

thats the beginning of the evangelical take over of the GOP. Once they saw how much money could flow, it was inevitable that the politicians would seize them. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hey, its you who's dividing us, man 😄 

there's always been asshats. I am not quite a boomer but can still remember the end of the good old days, when people also had a lot of conformity pressure and if you were different in any way were quickly on the outside. Things like abuse went on unquestioned and purposely unnoticed.  It wasn't Pleasantville for a lot of people. 

What worries me in the next election isn't losing Trudeau (he's run his race imo, time to go) its losing a middle party. We can see how the lack of one in the US has led to supporting some very stupid shit into actual law. If Canada chooses to decimate the middle in 2025, not sure we can get it back. 

Theres always been aholes, yes, but not ones who have been radicalized by disinformation and are actively trying completely upend society based on that disinformation.

I agree his race has run, but don't agree about the middle party idea.  It won't happen, but I think singh and the ndp deserve a shot at the crown

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Theres always been aholes, yes, but not ones who have been radicalized by disinformation and are actively trying completely upend society based on that disinformation.

they didn't need to upend it, they had control of it. There was very little room for people to be outside the bell cure. The angry weird uncles had a home. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree his race has run, but don't agree about the middle party idea.  It won't happen, but I think singh and the ndp deserve a shot at the crown

But Singh isn't middle. Thats my point, having Singh and PP emerge as out two choices outside of Quebec will lead us to what we see in the US. 

And deserve is meaningless. Come up with policies that work for most people, that we can afford. Just because they've sat at the kids table most of the time doesn't mean they automatically should get power, just because. 

On 8/23/2024 at 8:23 AM, DSVII said:

This is what Conservatism means to me. The McCains, and even further back, Eisenhower, back to that stoic integrity and respect for the country and for those across the aisle and the sense of responsibility. 

If the Republicans are smart...this guy will run for POTUS some day. The guy reminds me of Obama.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1