US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

they didn't need to upend it, they had control of it. There was very little room for people to be outside the bell cure. The angry weird uncles had a home. 

But Singh isn't middle. Thats my point, having Singh and PP emerge as out two choices outside of Quebec will lead us to what we see in the US. 

And deserve is meaningless. Come up with policies that work for most people, that we can afford. Just because they've sat at the kids table most of the time doesn't mean they automatically should get power, just because. 

I know he's not the middle, thatz the point.....let's give another perspective a try.  Their policies move the country forward and with the largest generation (anchor) in human history dying off, it's time to change course, imo.

I don't buy the "can't afford it" argument.  It's a bullshit red herring

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

I know he's not the middle, thatz the point.....let's give another perspective a try.  Their policies move the country forward and with the largest generation (anchor) in human history dying off, it's time to change course, imo.

I don't buy the "can't afford it" argument.  It's a bullshit red herring

lets move this over to Canada ---->

21 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

You're over complicating it....

Biden thought he was the only one who could beat Trump. In 2020, that was likely true, but this is four years later.

After his disastrous debate, several people (including his family members) eventually convinced him that this was no longer the case and it was likely that staying in the race would lead to a second Donald Trump administration.

The fact that it took a week or so for him to be convinced isn't unusual. In fact, I'd say it's typical.

You have a much higher opinion of Jill Biden than me. This is the most important she had ever been in her life, I doubt highly she was happy to relinquish power. Not only that but Hunter Biden's freedom could potentially hinge on who's in the Whitehouse.

But we can agree to disagree

21 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I am most definitely not defending the DNC.  I have no more insider information than you do and only know what I've read.  I am not the one voicing my personal opinions as facts though, nor am I trying to promote ideas that I can't back up.  

Aren't discussion boards about sharing opinions? How exactly this went down can't be proven on with 100% certainty either way, so both sides in this debate kinda are. 

21 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't think there was a push to oust him or that he was ousted........people have to much respect for Biden to do that.  I think there was a push to help him see the reality of the situation and to see what it would mean for the country.

I also think there's an outside chance this was the plan all along

Look fellas lets steelman this. @RupertKBD @Satchmo

I think we can agree; Joe clearly wanted to continue on & had said as much, powers within the Democrat party (donors too) decided it couldn't happen for the sake of the party, and they 'convinced' him to step aside. (Whatever we each think that means)

My position where maybe we disagree is; I think the determination had been made Joe couldn't continue, and if he hadn't given in they would've been willing to go as far as necessary.

So the steelman question is; Joe Biden dropped out a month before the DNC, if he had continued refusing to step aside do you think we would be in a world today where he was confirmed the nominee at the DNC?

• Desmenko 1

I thought the RFK speech was pretty good, specifically the part when he talked about chronic health problems of the country. That doesn't get enough attention in the national conversation (probably due to lobbyists I'd guess).

I also got a kick out of him talking about how the corporate press was captured right at the beginning so it would be aired live on those networks. CTV even cut away from it right at that point, effectively making his point. Hilarious. 

Anyways, strategically its great timing for Trump, only one day after the DNC & they grab the headlines with this endorsement.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Desmenko 1

25 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You have a much higher opinion of Jill Biden than me. This is the most important she had ever been in her life, I doubt highly she was happy to relinquish power. Not only that but Hunter Biden's freedom could potentially hinge on who's in the Whitehouse.

But we can agree to disagree

Aren't discussion boards about sharing opinions? How exactly this went down can't be proven on with 100% certainty either way, so both sides in this debate kinda are. 

Look fellas lets steelman this. @RupertKBD @Satchmo

I think we can agree; Joe clearly wanted to continue on & had said as much, powers within the Democrat party (donors too) decided it couldn't happen for the sake of the party, and they 'convinced' him to step aside. (Whatever we each think that means)

My position where maybe we disagree is; I think the determination had been made Joe couldn't continue, and if he hadn't given in they would've been willing to go as far as necessary.

So the steelman question is; Joe Biden dropped out a month before the DNC, if he had continued refusing to step aside do you think we would be in a world today where he was confirmed the nominee at the DNC?

I regret getting into this discussion and wish I had not felt compelled to reply days ago.  After all these posts two things remain clear:

- I can't understand what you are basing your opinions on and can't accept the conclusions you have reached.

- You can't understand what I am  basing my opinions on and can't accept the conclusions I have reached.

Let's call it.  We are not likely to come to an agreement and we are probably just boring everybody else.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I thought the RFK speech was pretty good, specifically the part when he talked about chronic health problems of the country. That doesn't get enough attention in the national conversation (probably due to lobbyists I'd guess).

I also got a kick out of him talking about how the corporate press was captured right at the beginning so it would be aired live on those networks. CTV even cut away from it right at that point, effectively making his point. Hilarious. 

Anyways, strategically its great timing for Trump, only one day after the DNC & they grab the headlines with this endorsement.

To each their own. I may get flamed by some for agreeing with CNN but I thought it was kind of gibberish (believe me I do not always agree with CNN).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

With respect, RFK is a non-factor. He has routinely criticized Trump and warned of the dire consequences of re-electing the Donald. He apparently wants a job in government and Trump seems happy to give him one. Note also that he tried to negotiate with Kamala's campaign and they wouldn't even talk to him. 

Didn’t Trump call Harris a loser for dropping out of the race in 2020?

IMG_1737.png

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think you are completely wrong about that. As with most couples who have been together for several decades, they are devoted to each other and put each other's health and wellness ahead of everything else. And really, what "power" does the First Lady really have to give up? Or maybe you think the total love and devotion she showed him during the convention was some sort of stage managed act. I don't. I saw a woman who cares deeply about her husband and is probably glad he decided to step down in order to enjoy his last years in peace and without the enormous stress that the presidency brings. I believe she'd rather have her husband than the presidency.

I think it was SmashingKassian who said what you were replying to; not me.

(I agree with you though.  I think Jill Biden was probably not more than a small factor in all this.)

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Maybe.  NASA gave a big contract to a company with a long and storied history of delivering reliable products. A great American success story.  Boeing has recently tarnished that history with screwup after screwup.   Let's see if NASA will get fooled gain.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Elon Musk has an incredible team of women running his companies.  Nice to see...

Is it Elon appreciation day?  If I join the fan club do I get a badge and a decoder ring?

• Cheers 1