US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

16 minutes ago, DSVII said:

History is full of examples of empires falling because the nobles defund the army amd starve the state infrastructure for their tax cuts while the barbarians are at the gates.

This crop of billionaires and their influence on the government in the face of climate change are no different.

They are as culpable if not more. 

The destruction of the middle class is the fault of governments not billionaires. Tax cuts aren’t created by billionaires, they are created by governments. Tax loopholes are created by governments. Inflation via money printing is created by governments. Government debt is created by governments. Poverty is literally created by governments.  World wars are created by governments. Notice a pattern?

8 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

By genetic lottery, do you mean being the son of an Italian immigrant who arrived in Canada in 1953 and built a successful business? Do you mean the guy who got a public school education, earned business degrees from two universities and was part of expanding and diversifying the Aquilini businesses? You make it sound like he was born into wealth and contributed nothing towards their successes. Francesco isn't perfect; nobody is, but your characterization of him as a nepo baby is inaccurate and demeaning.

He didn't buy me a $24,000 computer so I'm biased against him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The destruction of the middle class is the fault of governments not billionaires. Tax cuts aren’t created by billionaires, they are created by governments. Tax loopholes are created by governments. Inflation via money printing is created by governments. Government debt is created by governments. Poverty is literally created by governments.  World wars are created by governments. Notice a pattern?

And governments are created by billionaires so...

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And yet, where does a lot of government funding come from in the US? Who's paying for each party's campaign ads?

Also, why is the US government often considered corrupt?

Edited by The Lock

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Humans are doomed Jim.

Partially because of these kinds of discussions. 

It could be easy but 'we' will complicate it so that capitialism can continue to drive us to the end.

Not that I think capitalism is bad, but what is happening in this era is out of control. 

Looking to those that hoard such massive wealth to save us is daft. They will have their bunkers and will be the ancestors of the cave dwellers of the future.

So let me put it this way, we know the "whats" (climate, hunger, freedom) - give me the how.

You're assigning blame to a group of extremely privileged people, but I don't know what the mechanism is for them to do what you want them to.

I do see some of them doing very good things, Gates has saved a lot of lives in the "shithole" places Trump talks about. Mark Cuban is revolutionizing the drug industry in the US. 

So when there's a way, some of these guys do really good things. 

What I find frustrating now being in my 50s is I get the aspirational part. Absolutely no kid on this planet should be hungry. Now what, whats the path forward? 

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. suspends campaign but he missed deadline to stay off Nevada ballot

When Robert F. Kennedy Jr. pressed pause on his third-party presidential campaign Friday and endorsed former President Donald Trump, he said he planned to remove his name from the ballot in battleground states “where my presence would be a spoiler.”

That likely won’t work in Nevada, where he’s missed the deadline to take his name off November’s ballot.

“The last day for an independent candidate for president to file (to run) was August 9, 2024,” said a Nevada Secretary of State spokesperson, citing state law, in an email.

“The last day to withdraw is 7 days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays after August 9, 2024, which was August 20th.”

She added, “Mr. Kennedy has not filed anything with the Secretary of State to withdraw his candidacy.”

The Trump campaign sent out a memo saying that Kennedy endorsing Trump helps the former president more in Nevada than in any other battleground state.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'm just giving an example. You yourself even said later on that you thought there was a different between listeners and viewers. Just thinking logically on it creates the question on whether views = listeners because it's unknown how that number came to be.

The way you posted that initial post, you made it seem like you believed him to be talking about different listeners. You didn't seem to question it at all. You just sort of posted it.

Look. I'm not going to go back and nitpick every little thing on this thread, but I'll point out future posts I see of yours if I see there needs to be more fact-checking. I'll ask you questions about it. Then you can hopefully see what I mean about questions that should be asked in order to fact check. This isn't me trying to bs you. This is me trying to get you to think. Fair enough?

Fair enough.  Also, the next time Heffy calls someone a Nazi make sure to call him out on it and provide some proof...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Fair enough.  Also, the next time Heffy calls someone a Nazi make sure to call him out on it and provide some proof...

On that note, a recent look at a few reputable on line dictionaries has led me to soften my view of Heffy's rhetoric lately.  See b below:

Nazi

noun

: a member of a German fascist party controlling Germany from 1933 to 1945 under Adolf Hitler

often not capitalized
a
: one who espouses the beliefs and policies of the German Nazis : fascist
b
: one who is likened to a German Nazi : a harshly domineering, dictatorial, or intolerant person

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

To be fair, I don't agree with the name calling. I try and avoid that if I can help it.

Some people easily get upset. Anger is a form of fear in the end. In the case of a forum, it's likely a fear of things not going your way. Understanding that can help a lot.

But like I said, never stop asking questions. Even if it's something you want to be correct, ask questions about it.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And yet, where does a lot of government funding come from in the US? Who's paying for each party's campaign ads?

Also, why is the US government often considered corrupt?

There is no doubt that billionaires control politicians.  Money controls the world, as most politicians are bribed IMO.  I don't have the facts on that so don't bother asking.  Just my personal opinion.  That said, governments ultimately control the money via taxation, the printing press, control over where the money goes, who gets it, etc.

It's a vicious cycle with no end in sight.  The problem started a long time ago with the central banks of the world.  Nothing really has been fixed since then.  And it probably never will...

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

On that note, a recent look at a few reputable on line dictionaries has led me to soften my view of Heffy's rhetoric lately.  See b below:

Nazi

noun

: a member of a German fascist party controlling Germany from 1933 to 1945 under Adolf Hitler

often not capitalized
a
: one who espouses the beliefs and policies of the German Nazis : fascist
b
: one who is likened to a German Nazi : a harshly domineering, dictatorial, or intolerant person

Heffy probably changed the definition himself on Wikipedia...   😊

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Heffy probably changed the definition himself on Wikipedia...   😊

Looks like he got to Meriam Webster, Cambridge, Dictionary.com, and a bunch of others too.  He's been busy.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Absolutely no kid on this planet should be hungry. Now what, whats the path forward? 

Let's start by reducing the mega wealth hoarding.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It must be nice to be able to post fake news without pushback from anyone. Petr Aven and Vadim Moshkovich have zero ownership in X. Their sons work for a company that has a 1% interest in X. Both their sons are American citizens. One even graduated from Harvard.

Also, Prince Al-Waleed was already a shareholder of Twitter prior to Musk purchasing the company. He was also a donor to the Clinton Foundation.  He also owns stakes in several US companies. At one time he was the largest shareholder in Citigroup and Apple. Was Steve Jobs also a Russian agent like Elon Musk?

Kind of....ironic no?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You know as well as I do that my posts always get scrutinized and fact checked.  Can't say the same for others...

Need I go to the dictionary again and look up the definition of paranoia? 🤣