US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

In the minds of a significant percentage of the population, Gates is the personification of evil greater that the of Fauci. That's a rabbit hole even I try to avoid.

When you take on this kind of thing, you should get a pass: https://www.gatesfoundation.org/our-work/programs/global-health/neglected-tropical-diseases

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

In the minds of a significant percentage of the population, Gates is the personification of evil greater that the of Fauci. That's a rabbit hole even I try to avoid.

Gates, whether I think it's true or not, I can understand.  Fauci boggles my mind........ the guy has given his life to public service 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

so at the risk of being labelled an apologist, can you tell me what the worlds billionaires can do about African conflict zones where much of the worlds hunger is right now?

https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tracker

https://www.concern.net/news/hungriest-countries-in-the-world

Shouldn't this be a job for the UN?

Stop flooding it with weapons and secret ops for a start. Destabilizing the area for resource exploitation has been the policy rarely spoken out loud. The US is doing a ton of secret ops/proxy wars vs China and Russia down there. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I have thought about this a fair bit over the years, about how to get the mega corporations to take on a greater financial role in supporting society. I would give the largest corporations a choice: you can pay 20% of yearly REVENUES (not profit, which can be easily fudged) to the government in direct taxes, OR Pay 15% to directly fund a program that helps improve the lives of every citizen. Examples: Canadian Tire might decide they will donate 15% of their revenues to food banks across the country; the chartered banks may contribute for building affordable housing; the grocery industry might commit to free breakfasts and lunches for school kids. Each corporate entity would adopt a cause and contribute to it on an ongoing yearly basis, covering health, housing, education, infrastructure, the arts, athletics, medical research or whatever else improves the lives of Canadians. The net result is that corporations will be required to pay a greater portion in "taxes" but are given the choice of where they want to direct that funding to go. The corporation still makes money, is making a direct contribution to society, is a trusted and admired corporate citizen, and takes on a lot of the responsibility for spending that is currently done by governments. Government revenues diminsh, but government spending does, too.

Final note: I am aware there are flaws in this plan, but all I am trying to do is to compel the largest, most profitable corporate entities to return a portion of their revenue to programs and initiatives to help the people that made them rich in the first place.

A tax of 20% of revenues or even 15% would be more than the total gross profit margins for many companies, such as those selling groceries. Many businesses would have no choice but to raise their prices dramatically, which of course would be extremely inflationary, much like Trump's 10% tariff on all imports.

• chaos 1

To those who think all the billionaires can solve world poverty. Here are some numbers for you to ponder:

Current world population living on less than $1 per day:  1 billion 

Current amount of billionaires in the world:  3,194

So, If all 1 billion people were given an extra $1 per day from the billionaires, it would cost $365 billion per year. 

This wouldn’t actually solve world hunger. It would simply feed the poor until the billionaires ran out of money. 

Is it realistic to think that every single billionaire would pay a combined $365 billion per year every year until infinity in order to feed the poor?

How long do you think this would last before the billionaires simply pulled the plug?

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To those who think all the billionaires can solve world poverty. Here are some numbers for you to ponder:

So, If all 1 billion people were given an extra $1 per day from the billionaires, it would cost $365 billion per year. 

This wouldn’t actually solve world hunger. It would simply feed the poor until the billionaires ran out of money. 

Is it realistic to think that every single billionaire would pay a combined $365 billion per year every year until infinity in order to feed the poor?

How long do you think this would last before the billionaires simply pulled the plug?

The billionaires can just wait for the trickle down to happen.  Like the poors do

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those 3,194 billionaires have a net worth of 14.2 trillion. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Those 3,194 billionaires have a net worth of 14.2 trillion. 

So, every single billionaire should spend the next 30 years feeding the poor until they go broke?  That’s the plan to solve world hunger?  Would they agree to that?  Who’s going to tell them the bad news?  What happens after 30 years?  

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You are talking about giving them fish.  How about giving them fishing rods and teaching them how to fish?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You are talking about giving them fish.  How about giving them fishing rods and teaching them how to fish?

Are there enough fishing rods and boats for 1 billion people?  Does Elon know how to fish?  What about Warren Buffett?  How long would the classes be?  Where would they be held?  So many questions here. 

• Desmenko 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Are there enough fishing rods and boats for 1 billion people?  Does Elon know how to fish?  What about Warren Buffett?  How long would the classes be?  Where would they be held?  So many questions here. 

Was my post too vague?  Stop me if you've heard this one before: Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not how it works. You don't just keep giving them money. You set up the means to feed themselves. Teach a man to fish and all that. The figure quoted to Elon was 6 billion which he pledged to do if they couldn prove it to him. He actually sold the stock needed...then gave the money to his own foundation in the end as a nice tax write off 😄 

What the actual figure would be I don't know and you sure don't either 😉

Edited by Gnarcore

4 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Not how it works. You don't just keep giving them money. You set up the means to feed themselves. Teach a man to fish and all that. The figure quoted to Elon was 6 billion which he pledged to do if they couldn prove it to him. He actually sold the stock needed...then gave the money to his own foundation in the end as a nice tax write off 😄 

What the actual figure would be I don't know and you sure don't either 😉

Doesn’t every billionaire use charities as tax write offs?

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Stop flooding it with weapons and secret ops for a start. Destabilizing the area for resource exploitation has been the policy rarely spoken out loud. The US is doing a ton of secret ops/proxy wars vs China and Russia down there. 

*Cantonese gasp* But but but... that's unpossible, colonialism is just a buzzword!  😱