US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

This billionarie talk has been interesting.

It seems to me that billionaires are some people's super heros.

I find the defense of them very strange but I am starting to understand. The uber-rich person represents a dream that none of you are going to achieve ( i'll apologise to anyone on here that becomes a multi-billionaire and proves me wrong)  but its very important that the dream exists. 

But just look at these uber rich...

They are a bunch of dorks. I wouldn't hang out with these people. Without their money they are getting picked last in gym class.

Which is why I am realising that the dream is so important. It makes people think they could become something different. 

But like true love, money cant buy cool. I believe the dream is a lie. 

Hi Dan

Hey, just for the record. I know a guy in Nanaimo, that owns parts of the 3 malls there. He also owns a few other things that no body knows about. He donates anonymously, and never says anything about it. (Nanaimo Food banks, Loafs and Fishes, etc....) So there is that. Some do not want to be know for that....."Some"!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JIAHN said:

So that no one mis-understands me............

Yes, Billionaires influence political parties, and their policies

For sure!

But not enough people actually care to call the politicians on this.....

This is our country.....one person one vote......

Here's the problem Jan...

There are lots of politicians who want to boost taxes on the Billionaires. The Billionaires don't like that, so they buy the politicians, or move to a state where the politicians have already been bought.

• ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🤣  (the shallow person in me went for seat #9 (for the free handjob).

Seat # 3.

First thing I do is ask (in a loud voice) how much he's looking forward to collecting the POS in front of him and the POS behind him.

Then I ask if there's some way he could maybe move that agenda up a bit....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here's the problem Jan...

There are lots of politicians who want to boost taxes on the Billionaires. The Billionaires don't like that, so they buy the politicians, or move to a state where the politicians have already been bought.

Yeah, I know big guy......but still "IF" enough people actually care , and hold their reps accountable, we are not having this discussion.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

This billionarie talk has been interesting.

It seems to me that billionaires are some people's super heros.

I find the defense of them very strange but I am starting to understand. The uber-rich person represents a dream that none of you are going to achieve ( i'll apologise to anyone on here that becomes a multi-billionaire and proves me wrong)  but its very important that the dream exists. 

But just look at these uber rich...

They are a bunch of dorks. I wouldn't hang out with these people. Without their money they are getting picked last in gym class.

Which is why I am realising that the dream is so important. It makes people think they could become something different. 

But like true love, money cant buy cool. I believe the dream is a lie. 

if you could show me how it could actually be achieved, I could get their with you. Just saying "they should" isn't enough. You've also been dismissive of people like Gates that do a ton of good in the world, not sure why.

51 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Yeah, I know big guy......but still "IF" enough people actually care , and hold their reps accountable, we are not having this discussion.

all this talk about solving hunger, I keep wondering whats the point of the UN if we're not moving into conflict zones so people can actually be fed? I posted the top 10 places for hunger on the plant, it's all in conflict zones, 9 in Africa, other one Yemen. 

Are the worlds billionaires supposed to hire private armies to stop the conflicts, then feed everyone? this seems like a role for the UN if we actually give a shit about these countries. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

if you could show me how it could actually be achieved, I could get their with you. Just saying "they should" isn't enough. You've also been dismissive of people like Gates that do a ton of good in the world, not sure why.

I see points made on both sides of this argument but I don't get the idea that Gates and Buffet are doing so much good but more billionaires acting as they do would achieve nothing.  These are clever people with deep pockets.  If Gates and Buffet can figure out helpful things to do why can't others?   How many super yachts does Bezos really need? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I see points made on both sides of this argument but I don't get the idea that Gates and Buffet are doing so much good but more billionaires acting as they do would achieve nothing.  These are clever people with deep pockets.  If Gates and Buffet can figure out helpful things to do why can't others?   How many super yachts does Bezos really need? 

agreed, they could be doing a lot more. I love what Cuban is doing to drug prices in the US, e.g. 

What I find odd is calling them "evil" because they aren't living up to someone's particular aspirational ideal. It's why I bring up where most of the hunger is, in conflict zones. Not sure what Jeff B is supposed to do in Congo or Yemen, e.g. 

Edited by Bob Long

Just now, Bob Long said:

agreed, they could be doing a lot more. I love what Cuban is doing to drug prices in the US, e.g. 

What I find odd is calling them "evil" because they aren't living up to someone's particular aspirational ideal. It's why I bring up where most of the hunger is, if conflict zones. Not sure what Jeff B is supposed to do in Congo or Yemen, e.g. 

Well, just because ALL problems can't be solved it doesn't mean that none can or that conditions in problematic parts of the world can't be improved even if not perfected.

'Evil' might be a stretch though greedy, sociopathic, and narcissistic are often apt.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Hi Dan

Hey, just for the record. I know a guy in Nanaimo, that owns parts of the 3 malls there. He also owns a few other things that no body knows about. He donates anonymously, and never says anything about it. (Nanaimo Food banks, Loafs and Fishes, etc....) So there is that. Some do not want to be know for that....."Some"!

Hi Jan,

Is his name Randy?

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I went over this with EP.

I said they could didn't say they should but if they want to be less evil....then they should. 

I have been dismissive of all multi-billionaires...yet if you rewind the tape you will find that I gave Mr Gates top 'Bill'ing for the evil hoarders.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Seat # 3.

Gotta say I got a bit trigger happy picking seat # 9 at first. 

But upon reflection, I might pick # 3 too.

That's a pretty famous dude to sit beside. I'd have tons of questions. 

Edited by bishopshodan

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh, for sure....

Like, how did he come up with the idea for that plastic they use to wrap forks with at KFC.....fucking diabolical, that stuff....

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

9 and it’s not even close. Those women will never be the same after I’m done with them.   😊

There's a catch: you get an old-fashioned from Bobo but MTG gently rubs your legs with her claw feet while it happens.

• Haha 1

About that "undecided" voter who was anything but.  

https://newrepublic.com/article/185290/cnn-undecided-voters-misleading

Why Does CNN Keep Featuring “Undecided” Voters Who Are Anything But?

A man portrayed last week as undecided has in fact left a long online MAGA trail. Was it just a mistake, or is CNN misleading viewers for the sake of compelling television?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

3 for sure. That dude would have some stories. 

He's also imaginary so I could stretch out and sleep, which would be nice on that flight considering someone else on that plane would be trying to join the Mile high club with his seat as a partner.

• Haha 4

He didn't request Cannon's removal, but it is difficult to think that she survives this and remains the judge in this case.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/26/g-s1-19642/special-counsel-jack-smith-judge-cannon-appeal-trump-classified-documents

Special counsel Jack Smith appeals ruling tossing Trump's classified documents case

Yet another soon to be released book, shows what a farce the Donald Trump administration was.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/bomb-the-drugs-trump-s-ex-security-adviser-shares-tales-of-white-house-dysfunction/ar-AA1psZyu?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=81d066afc6fc4f7db3948322a9677bf2&ei=36

Donald Trump's former national security adviser H.R. McMaster shared new details about the chaos and dysfunction that he said marked the ex-president's first term in office.

The retired U.S. Army lieutenant general is publishing a new book, “At War with Ourselves: My Tour of Duty in the Trump White House,” focusing on the former president's service as commander in chief and his own tenure as national security adviser, reported CNN.

"In his blistering, insightful account of his time in the Trump White House, McMaster describes meetings in the Oval Office as 'exercises in competitive sycophancy' during which Trump’s advisers would flatter the president by saying stuff like, 'Your instincts are always right' or, 'No one has ever been treated so badly by the press,'" the network reported.

"Meanwhile, Trump would say 'outlandish' things like, 'Why don’t we just bomb the drugs?' in Mexico or, 'Why don’t we take out the whole North Korean Army during one of their parades?'"

McMaster dismissed former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon as a “fawning court jester” who played “on Trump’s anxiety and sense of beleaguerment" by claiming various individuals were "out to get him" and suggesting ways to "counterpunch." And he said former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and former Defense Secretary James Mattis often disagreed with the ex-president.

"Tillerson, who had previously run Exxon, is portrayed as inaccessible to top officials in Trump’s administration, while Mattis is described as an obstructionist," CNN reported. "McMaster writes that Tillerson and Mattis viewed Trump as 'dangerous' and seemed to construe their roles as if 'Trump was an emergency and that anyone abetting him was an adversary.' Trump himself also contributed to the dysfunction: 'He enjoyed and contributed to interpersonal drama in the White House and across the administration.'"

McMaster also details his efforts to convince Trump that Russian President Vladimir Putin “was not and would never be Trump’s friend," and he warned that he would try to manipulate him with “ambiguous promises of a ‘better relationship.’”

“I wished that Trump could separate the issue of Russian election meddling from the legitimacy of his presidency," McMaster wrote. "He could have said, ‘Yes, they attacked the election. But Russia doesn’t care who wins our elections. What they want to do is pit Americans against one another.'"

McMaster's time in the White House ended when he publicly stated in February 2018 that the indictment of Russian intelligence officers for their interference in the 2016 presidential election was "inconvertible" evidence that Russia had meddled in that election, and Trump quickly responded on Twitter.

"General McMaster forgot to say that the results of the 2016 election were not impacted or changed by the Russians and that the only Collusion was between Russia and Crooked H, the DNC and the Dems. Remember the Dirty Dossier, Uranium, Speeches, Emails and the Podesta Company!" the former president said.

Just imagine if this moron somehow get back into office....how much damage could he do without the likes of McMaster, Mattis and Tillerson to run interference?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I bet his Saturday night party is killer.......just think of the musicians!  Is there any place more boring than heaven on a Saturday night? 

Snoozefest

Edited by stawns
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

He didn't request Cannon's removal, but it is difficult to think that she survives this and remains the judge in this case.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/26/g-s1-19642/special-counsel-jack-smith-judge-cannon-appeal-trump-classified-documents

Special counsel Jack Smith appeals ruling tossing Trump's classified documents case

In a way, it might be smarter to just appeal the ruling and let the removal of Judge Cannon happen from elsewhere. Basically, it's playing the person who just focuses on the task at hand, deflecting any potential blame from the other side.

• Cheers 1