US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The reason that the total vote numbers are so high for Democrats is because they dominate in the 2 most populous cities, NYC and LA.  Since both NY and California are already fairly solid Democratic states, that doesn't help them with the electoral college count in a presidential race.  Take out those 2 cities and the parties are fairly evenly split,  That's why both parties have to stump so hard to get their base voters to go to the polls while also at the same time appeal to independents.

sure but we know younger voters also tend more left, and young voters don't turn out in big enough numbers. If the Dem's can Tik Tok their way into more young votes they could dominate. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

sure but we know younger voters also tend more left, and young voters don't turn out in big enough numbers. If the Dem's can Tik Tok their way into more young votes they could dominate. 

I'd rather not see Nancy Pelosi shaking her money maker on Tik Tok. 🤢

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That's why they do it.  They want the power that comes with winning.  They'll try and get away with breaking civil rights laws if it brings them their precious power. 

Don't kid yourself though.  If the shoe was on the other foot, the Democrats would do the same.

Do you think the Black Caucus would allow that to happen? I highly doubt it, the Dems want the youth and the Black vote.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Have you tried not installing TikTok on your phone?  I've heard it's an excellent method to avoid that situation.

If I'm being honest, you could count on your fingers the number of times I've opened that app.  I'm more of a YouTube guy.  I prefer long-form video.

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

Do you think the Black Caucus would allow that to happen? I highly doubt it, the Dems want the youth and the Black vote.

At the end of the day, it's the conservatives on the Supreme Court who have the power to decide who is breaking civil rights laws and who isn't.  The Dems have a numbers disadvantage with the judiciary nationwide.

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Any system based solely on a popular vote would eventually screw over small states to the point where they would want to secede from the union.  That's why we can't do it that way no matter how many liberals whine and cry about wanting it that way.  Until of course the day comes when it wouldn't benefit them, then they'd embrace the count the way that it's done.

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. 

I am saying the US keep the EC but the EC vote of each state is split by the popular vote within the state instead if winner take all. 

For example in the state if New York Biden gets 60% of the popular vote within New York and Trump gets 40%.

New York has 28 electoral vote. So instead of Biden getting all 29 votes from New York, Trump now gets 11 votes from New York from his 40% share of popular vite within New York and Biden now gets 16 votes from his 60% share of the popular vote within New York plus 1 more for his overall victory to round out the numbers. 

Similarly say in Texas Trump gets 70% of the popular vote in Texas and Bid3n gets 30, they would split Texas' EC vote 28 to 12.

This way the smaller state still does not get stomped by larger states and also make each vote count more instead of the current situation where in solid red and blue state one's vote doesn't mean much. Forcing a popular vote aspect to the presidential election at the state level will also force candidates to campaign for all of America instead of focusing solely on battle ground states. 

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Any system based solely on a popular vote would eventually screw over small states to the point where they would want to secede from the union.  That's why we can't do it that way no matter how many liberals whine and cry about wanting it that way.  Until of course the day comes when it wouldn't benefit them, then they'd embrace the count the way that it's done.

The Founding Fathers were pretty smart dudes. They took it from the Brits for many years. A justifiable suspicion of dictatorial distant government with little option to change things. The Electoral College was a deliberate effort to prevent larger states from dominating the smaller ones. What a novel idea that Canada's senate was elected and restricted to two members per province. Instead we have a dictatorship if the elected government has a majority. The Canadian Prime Minister has more power than an American President. Americans wouldn't stand for it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Founding Fathers were pretty smart dudes. They took it from the Brits for many years. A justifiable suspicion of dictatorial distant government with little option to change things. The Electoral College was a deliberate effort to prevent larger states from dominating the smaller ones. What a novel idea that Canada's senate was elected and restricted to two members per province. Instead we have a dictatorship if the elected government has a majority. The Canadian Prime Minister has more power than an American President. Americans wouldn't stand for it.  

The smaller states already have the great equalizer.  Every state gets 2 Senators.  That mean Wyoming gets 2 Senators for just over 578,000 people and Cali gets 2 Senators for over 39 MILLION.  The POTUS has power, but not quite as much as having control of the House and or Senate.  Hell, the Dakotas account for 1.67 million people and have 4 Senators.  

The "small" States have more than enough representation in government.  People vote.  Trees and mountains don't.  Wyoming has lots of the trees and mountains and open plains.  

5 hours ago, 24K said:

I don't think you are understanding what I am saying. 

I am saying the US keep the EC but the EC vote of each state is split by the popular vote within the state instead if winner take all. 

For example in the state if New York Biden gets 60% of the popular vote within New York and Trump gets 40%.

New York has 28 electoral vote. So instead of Biden getting all 29 votes from New York, Trump now gets 11 votes from New York from his 40% share of popular vite within New York and Biden now gets 16 votes from his 60% share of the popular vote within New York plus 1 more for his overall victory to round out the numbers. 

Similarly say in Texas Trump gets 70% of the popular vote in Texas and Bid3n gets 30, they would split Texas' EC vote 28 to 12.

This way the smaller state still does not get stomped by larger states and also make each vote count more instead of the current situation where in solid red and blue state one's vote doesn't mean much. Forcing a popular vote aspect to the presidential election at the state level will also force candidates to campaign for all of America instead of focusing solely on battle ground states. 

Your idea only slightly mitigates the inequity of a straight popular vote.  If they did that, politicians would never stump at a low EC point state.  Presidents and members of Congress wanting to run for president would also steer aid and small state tax dollars into the higher EC vote states because they would benefit their party the most.

People in Texas and California would love your suggestion.  In California, the numerous bums would be pooping on marble lined sidewalks instead of the all-concrete ones they use as toilets now and in Texas the oil companies would gorge themselves on all that extra money their governor would sprinkle them with.

Any way you slice it, a Democratic Republic based any way on popular vote is unfair to the little guys.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Your idea only slightly mitigates the inequity of a straight popular vote.  If they did that, politicians would never stump at a low EC point state.  Presidents and members of Congress wanting to run for president would also steer aid and small state tax dollars into the higher EC vote states because they would benefit their party the most.

People in Texas and California would love your suggestion.  In California, the numerous bums would be pooping on marble lined sidewalks instead of the all-concrete ones they use as toilets now and in Texas the oil companies would gorge themselves on all that extra money their governor would sprinkle them with.

Any way you slice it, a Democratic Republic based any way on popular vote is unfair to the little guys.

Democracy by itself is unfair to the minority. I mean that is kind of the point of Demicracy ain't it? 

The system right now in the US is tyranny of the minority where small states have way outsized influence than large state. My suggestion would equalize power back more toward the majority as democracies are designed to be. 

Edited by 24K
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Democracy by itself is unfair to the minority. I mean that is kind of the point of Demicracy ain't it? 

Democracy is supposed to empower the little guys, but the average voter is too lazy to hold their elected representatives to the fire when they seize more and more power and wealth for themselves by screwing over average people.

• Like 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Democracy is supposed to empower the little guys, but the average voter is too lazy to hold their elected representatives to the fire when they seize more and more power and wealth for themselves by screwing over average people.

Democracies is suppose to empower the majority of the little guys not the minority of the little guys. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Heaven forbid that politicians look to states with millions of people on policies that can help the large numbers of people that live there.  As opposed to a bunch of empty fields and trees where a handful of people live. 

As a nation, we're a bit touchy when it comes to states that try and leave.  When the US loves you, we love you a loooong time.  Even if we have to do it at the end of a barrel.

As long as we're talking about what is "fair"....it seems to me that the fair thing would be for DC and Puerto Rico to enjoy the same level of representation as Wyoming or Rhode Island....(No taxation without representation, amirite?)

...but I doubt any Republican would agree....

• Cheers 3

17 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I was doing some stock research the other day. One of my sites has a drop down that tells you who is buying a company stock. It is a good indicator of who is interested in a company. I clicked on it and was shocked to see that about 75% of the trades over the past month had been Congressman and Senators. We all know these people leave elected office as very well to do millionaires.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was doing some stock research the other day. One of my sites has a drop down that tells you who is buying a company stock. It is a good indicator of who is interested in a company. I clicked on it and was shocked to see that about 75% of the trades over the past month had been Congressman and Senators. We all know these people leave elected office as very well to do millionaires.

Bernie Sanders and others have tried to change that but have made no headway. Without the voters demanding change, Congress will continue to legally insider trade on the market.  Nancy Pelosi constantly gets called out for it, but since people continue to believe that their "side" farts rainbows and poops glitter, both the "R" gang and "D" gang will continue to do it.

25 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Trump Asked Melania To Don A Bikini For His Buddies, Insider Claims

In the recordings, Pratt said the Slovenian model bit back by telling her husband, “I’ll do that when you walk around with me in your bikini.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-melania-bikini-mar-a-lago_n_65357fa8e4b0689b3fbce64d

Does that mean Trump owns a bikini? 😮 

• Sad 1