US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Once again, the GQP reveals that it's election strategy is to try and keep as many people as possible from voting....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/arizona-republicans-sue-after-dem-governor-opens-more-voting-locations/ar-AA1pt1vH?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a4948bc12e464a66ada606f5700f0228&ei=43

In 2023, Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs (D) signed two executive orders ahead of the 2024 election: One that allowed state government facilities to serve as voter registration sites, and the second made those same government facilities locations where individuals could vote in November.

But as the 2024 election approaches, the Arizona state Republican Party is suing, the voting rights group Democracy Docket reported Monday.

According to the filing from GOP chair Gina Swoboda and two voters, both executive orders violate the state’s constitution, which they say gives the state legislature and local officials the authority to decide where voters can drop off ballots and register to vote.

“EO 23 is silent about important issues regarding completed ballots and voting procedures including, for example, where to store completed ballots until they can be sent to the appropriate election officials or keeping a chain-of-custody log for those completed ballots,” the lawsuit reads.

Swoboda takes issue with voting locations like those belonging to the Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry and the Department of Juvenile Corrections.

While the executive order has been around for nine months, Swoboda’s lawyers are in a hurry for courts to decide its legality, which is why they took it immediately to the state Supreme Court bypassing all lower courts.

The GOP groups are demanding that the state court stop Hobbs and state agencies from moving forward with implementing the orders.

Kerry Kennedy with some harsh words for her brother:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/kerry-kennedy-says-she-is-disgusted-by-her-brother-rfk-jr-s-obscene-backing-of-trump/ar-AA1ps91z?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=d0bd5f7989eb424b9c6aea6160c7ee3f&ei=74

Kerry Kennedy has said she is “disgusted” by her brother Robert F Kennedy Jr’s “obscene” backing of Donald Trump.

In a scathing rebuke of her brother, Kennedy said by dropping out of the presidential race and endorsing Trump, RFK Jr has “set fire” to their father’s memory.

Their father, the late senator Robert F Kennedy, who served as the former attorney general, was assassinated while running for president in 1968.

Speaking to Inside with Jen Psaki on MSNBC, Kennedy said: “If my dad were alive today, the real Robert Kennedy would’ve detested almost everything Donald Trump represents.

“I am outraged and disgusted by my brother’s obscene embrace of Donald Trump. I completely disavow and dissociate myself from Robert Kennedy Jr and his flagrant efforts to desecrate, trample and set fire to my father’s memory.”

You're not the only one, Kerry....

More trolling of Hair Gropenfuhrer from the Harris campaign:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/embarrassing-harris-team-taunts-trump-over-latest-debate-drama/ar-AA1pshit?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a886ab9d6b0644e6aa8d4e9685cd3068&ei=65

The campaign spokesman then goaded the Republican nominee by casting doubt on his ability to behave himself onstage.

“Our understanding is that Trump’s handlers prefer the muted microphone because they don’t think their candidate can act presidential for 90 minutes on his own," Fallon said. "We suspect Trump’s team has not even told their boss about this dispute because it would be too embarrassing to admit they don’t think he can handle himself against Vice President Harris without the benefit of a mute button."

:classic_laugh:

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

RFK is the family member that went off the deep end after reading and listening to too many conspiracy theories and echo chambers.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

all this talk about solving hunger, I keep wondering whats the point of the UN if we're not moving into conflict zones so people can actually be fed? I posted the top 10 places for hunger on the plant, it's all in conflict zones, 9 in Africa, other one Yemen. 

Are the worlds billionaires supposed to hire private armies to stop the conflicts, then feed everyone? this seems like a role for the UN if we actually give a shit about these countries.

I think that by "feeding people" you are using a literal term, like sending planeloads of Kraft Dinner and cans of beans to starving people. I think it's a more complex situation. To me, the way to decrease food shortages is (surprise) increasing food production, and increasing food production means: Money for farm vehicles and equipment for areas still reliant on human and animal muscle power to manage their crops, money for education and training to help optimize farm production, a supply chain to move foodstuffs to where people can access them, access to fresh water, both for human and animal consumption and for agriculture, high quality seed stock specific to their respective biotic zones, and incentives to persuade farmers to increase production. Like somebody said earlier about teaching people to fish rather than just handing them a fish empowers people to look after themselves. This is where billionaires can put their philanthropy to work in ways that will be sustainable and self-determining. If you want to end hunger, provide the resources for people to feed themselves. Thanks for listening, and here ends my Ted Talk.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think that by "feeding people" you are using a literal term, like sending planeloads of Kraft Dinner and cans of beans to starving people. I think it's a more complex situation. To me, the way to decrease food shortages is (surprise) increasing food production, and increasing food production means: Money for farm vehicles and equipment for areas still reliant on human and animal muscle power to manage their crops, money for education and training to help optimize farm production, a supply chain to move foodstuffs to where people can access them, access to fresh water, both for human and animal consumption and for agriculture, high quality seed stock specific to their respective biotic zones, and incentives to persuade farmers to increase production. Like somebody said earlier about teaching people to fish rather than just handing them a fish empowers people to look after themselves. This is where billionaires can put their philanthropy to work in ways that will be sustainable and self-determining. If you want to end hunger, provide the resources for people to feed themselves. Thanks for listening, and here ends my Ted Talk.

In my opinion, there's more to it than that. We have a growing global population, but the available land to grow food is shrinking.

You have the Sahara claiming more land in the Sahel region of Africa, making food less growable in those areas. Look at the size of Lake Chad 30 years ago and look at it now. It's almost non-existent. Then you also have urban areas developing over what would otherwise be fertile land. Air pollution's likely to affect crops. There are tons of other issues as well but hopefully you get the idea. You can buy more farm equipment, but if you don't have the space, you might as well have bought a bunch of lawn ornaments.

So, eventually, something is going to have to give. Africa's the next major area to go through a population boom and we're going to see countries in Africa start to look like South and East Asia in terms of population density. Perhaps ironic that 9 of 10 of those poorest countries are going to be among the ones sees such population growth.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All this talk about billionaires and maybe it would be nice if they used some of their money to help less fortunate people. Then trying to figure out how to get help to war torn countries. My thoughts are more help right here at home. Homelessness for example. Check out A Better Tent City(Kitchener Ontario) these people need funding. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Joe King said:

All this talk about billionaires and maybe it would be nice if they used some of their money to help less fortunate people. Then trying to figure out how to get help to war torn countries. My thoughts are more help right here at home. Homelessness for example. Check out A Better Tent City(Kitchener Ontario) these people need funding. 

Well let's be real. Funding needs to go everywhere and the very fact that we have to have such a debate with where the funds go means we have a lack of funding.

I'm sure I sound like captain obvious to some for saying that but sometimes we don't state the obvious enough.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Well let's be real. Funding needs to go everywhere and the very fact that we have to have such a debate with where the funds go means we have a lack of funding.

I'm sure I sound like captain obvious to some for saying that but sometimes we don't state the obvious enough.

I give up

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Joe King said:

I give up

Why?

It's not like I was disagreeing with you or anything. It's just there's a lot of issues in the world and they're all competing for money. It sucks.

The Harris campaign just issued a powerful statement in response to Trump's attempt to back out of the ABC debate:

“Our understanding is that Trump’s handlers prefer the muted microphone because they don’t think their candidate can act presidential for 90 minutes on his own. We suspect Trump’s team has not even told their boss about this dispute because it would be too embarrassing to admit they don’t think he can handle himself against Vice President Harris without the benefit of a mute button.”

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The Harris campaign just issued a powerful statement in response to Trump's attempt to back out of the ABC debate:

“Our understanding is that Trump’s handlers prefer the muted microphone because they don’t think their candidate can act presidential for 90 minutes on his own. We suspect Trump’s team has not even told their boss about this dispute because it would be too embarrassing to admit they don’t think he can handle himself against Vice President Harris without the benefit of a mute button.”

I do like how Harris and co are relentlessly attacking Trump the way they have been. Literally giving Trump a taste of his own medicine is rather refreshing and I can only see it making Harris even more popular.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

RFK is the family member that went off the deep end after reading and listening to too many conspiracy theories and echo chambers.

He makes weirdo JD "I didn't have sex with *THAT* particular couch" Vance seem 'normal':

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/story/rfk-jr-whale-beheading-story

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, JIAHN said:

You know. it baffles me how people blame everyone else but themselves.

"IF" we cared enough in mass to actually go to conventions and force parties to do our bidding

Then they would. But we don't!

This is no ones fault but our own, and I get sick and tired of the blame game......

And for those who don't have the time or enough interest to get personally involved in politics, another way is to financially support those organizations that advance progessive views.

One such organization is the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.  They do a lot of policy research and analysis to buttress arguments in support of progressive policies.

More here:

https://policyalternatives.ca/offices

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

And for those who don't have the time or enough interest to get personally involved in politics, another way is to financially support those organizations that advance progessive views.

One such organization is the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.  They do a lot of policy research and analysis to buttress arguments in support of progressive policies.

More here:

https://policyalternatives.ca/offices

Me, I was a letter writer.

I have now graduated to an email sender.

I don't send many emails to many people however it is now easier to send your MP an email, than it is to write and send a letter.

This is my local member, and how to contact him.

https://www.aaronvioli.com.au/contact/

The squeaky wheel, sometimes, gets the oil.

I must admit, I kinda embellish my emails.

" I speak for many of your constituents when I state "

" The feeling in the community is " 

Sometimes I get a reply. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1