US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 hours ago, Joe King said:

All this talk about billionaires and maybe it would be nice if they used some of their money to help less fortunate people. Then trying to figure out how to get help to war torn countries. My thoughts are more help right here at home. Homelessness for example. Check out A Better Tent City(Kitchener Ontario) these people need funding. 

its a good idea, and pretty low hanging fruit. Seems like an easy one for developers to latch on to. I'd love to see more partnerships with them where they get an extra floor or some other relatively meaningless perk for building more social housing. You do see this happening in Vancouver more. 

More than 200 former Republican presidential staffers sign open letter endorsing Harris over Trump

More than 200 staffers for four previous Republican presidential nominees have endorsed Democrat Kamala Harris’ White House bid, cautioning that the notion of a second term for GOP nominee Donald Trump is “simply untenable” and “will hurt real, everyday people.”

In an open letter, first written about on Monday by USA Today, 238 people who worked for former President George H.W. Bush, former President George W. Bush, former Arizona Sen. John McCain and Utah Sen. Mitt Romney call on their fellow “moderate Republicans and conservative independents” to join them in backing Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, over Trump and his vice presidential pick, Sen. JD Vance of Ohio.

“Of course, we have plenty of honest, ideological disagreements with Vice President Harris and Gov. Walz,” the Republicans wrote, noting the significance of a handful of battleground states that proved crucial to Democrat Joe Biden’s slim margin of victory in 2020. “That’s to be expected. The alternative, however, is simply untenable.”

https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-republican-endorsements-1371966c9be8ac4e0e6b3e1e126edbc9

• Vintage 3

20 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

About that "undecided" voter who was anything but.  

https://newrepublic.com/article/185290/cnn-undecided-voters-misleading

Why Does CNN Keep Featuring “Undecided” Voters Who Are Anything But?

A man portrayed last week as undecided has in fact left a long online MAGA trail. Was it just a mistake, or is CNN misleading viewers for the sake of compelling television?

I've said for years that the undecideds are either complete indecisive idiots or are lying to everyone and/or themselves.  99% of people know who they are voting for by the time the party primaries are over.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I've said for years that the undecideds are either complete indecisive idiots or are lying to everyone and/or themselves.  99% of people know who they are voting for by the time the party primaries are over.

Thing was the guy had a clear pro Trump position, yet they put him on TV in an undecided panel.   

But ya, most people by now in the US know what direction their votes are going.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

And right now Harris is kicking Trump’s fat ass down the street. Must be a Harris victory coming? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And right now Harris is kicking Trump’s fat ass down the street. Must be a Harris victory coming? 

Polls are not accurate. The trend is more helpful.  It's going to be a close race. US is a 47%/47% country. 

Turnouts and suppression of vote efforts will be key. Dems need to flood the battleground precincts with poll watchers and lawyers. Lot of systematic stuff being challenged already.  PA will have early voting starting in Sept 16.  But they don't count them until after the election day results are tallied. So expect no decision on PA on election eve, unless the results are not close. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No surprises here ....

Not sure what is funnier, him doing this or his followers falling for it. 

Imagine Harris or Trudeau doing this? 

America has the smartest and dumbest people in the world. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Polls are not accurate. The trend is more helpful.  It's going to be a close race. US is a 47%/47% country. 

Turnouts and suppression of vote efforts will be key. Dems need to flood the battleground precincts with poll watchers and lawyers. Lot of systematic stuff being challenged already.  PA will have early voting starting in Sept 16.  But they don't count them until after the election day results are tallied. So expect no decision on PA on election eve, unless the results are not close. 

It will not be close. Harris will stomp the Fat Assclown. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Michigan isn't the only state where RFK Jr. will still be on the ballot.  Waited a bit too long to end his campaign aka grift.

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/27/michigan-rfk-jr-ballot-2024-trump

Michigan denies RFK Jr.’s escape from presidential ballot

RFK Jr. was too busy hunting for road kill was likely the reason.🥸

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The polls are all over the place on that.  They are even more muddled than they were in 2016.

Personally, I think Trump's likely losing by a small margin in electoral votes right now and the longer that he continues to run a sh*tty campaign, the fewer of the 1% left truly undecided will end up closing that gap for him in the closest swing states.

He doesn't have arenas anymore because he screwed too many of them over and these outdoors rallies just don't have the same effect on the voters.  He's just drawing the people that already planned on voting for him.  Basically, he's preaching to the already converted choir.  That's not how you sway new converts to your side.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The polls are all over the place on that.  They are even more muddled than they were in 2016.

Personally, I think Trump's likely losing by a small margin in electoral votes right now and the longer that he continues to run a sh*tty campaign, the fewer of the 1% left truly undecided will end up closing that gap for him in the closest swing states.

He doesn't have arenas anymore because he screwed too many of them over and these outdoors rallies just don't have the same effect on the voters.  He's just drawing the people that already planned on voting for him.  Basically, he's preaching to the already converted choir.  That's not how you sway new converts to your side.

As I've said before, seems like he's following Hillary's playbook in terms of campaigning (2016 vs 2024).  More likely than not, he's just THAT much older & the diet of Baconators have taken it's toll on that fat tub of goo he's lugging around.  And as you've said, he's not even trying to win over additional votes (guess he's counting on his hand picked voter officials to give him the victory in certain states regardless of the voting outcome) - that seems to be his plan (at least imho).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

"In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have put my kids college fund in djt stock but at least I got to own the libs for a couple months." - probably a lot of maga folks right now. 

200w.gif

It's incredible the stock is still as high as it is. His Truth Social platform has extreme security holes, but I wouldn't worry about hackers, I'm pretty sure they freely share data with Russia. 

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

It's incredible the stock is still as high as it is. His Truth Social platform has extreme security holes, but I wouldn't worry about hackers, I'm pretty sure they freely share data with Russia. 

He's posting on Twitter/X now.  So, he is in effect tanking his own stock...

• Like 1