US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

51 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Smeg, you make me dizzy when you get some sarcasm going. I'll have to go ahead and award the point to the side that made the case that these few families were out of line.

You'll have to take the L, add it to your collection.

And, we dont catch'em, we keep'em.

I get to be around criminals waay more than police. I am a Correctional Officer.

We can arrest but it's extremely rare and would likely be while we are on duty at the prison. Like if you come to visit your friend Trump, and try to sneak in some adderall for him to snort. I'd get you set up in cozy room. Not near him though, he has a lot of money and is ex-POTUS. He will be doing easy time.

Have we gone over the fact that the rich get different privileges than the rest of us yet today?

Which prison do you work at?  I might have some “friends” there.  Maybe you can say hi to them.  🤨

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which prison do you work at?  I might have some “friends” there.  Maybe you can say hi to them.  🤨

A big one.

But sure, I'll say hi to someone....what's your real name? 😉

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Makes My Stomach Feel Sick’: CNN’s Pamela Brown Disgusted by Trump’s ‘Crude Sexual Reference’ About Kamala Harris

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/makes-my-stomach-feel-sick-cnns-pamela-brown-disgusted-by-trumps-crude-sexual-reference-about-kamala-harris/

I wonder how many other guys Melania had to blow before getting a chance to put her lips around Donny’s mushroom.

For people who are really interested in the politics behind the politics/politicians,

@RupertKBD @Sabrefan1 @nuckin_futz 

I was just listening to this discussion about the right - left divide.

Where the terms were first used, how they pertain to actual policies and the politicians themselves.

https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/futuretense/21-century-political-left-right-ideology/104151720

Very interesting discussion. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

This will win over more women voters 😂

‘She Can Go To Hell!’ JD Vance Drops Unhinged Attack On Kamala Harris

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/she-can-go-to-hell-jd-vance-drops-unhinged-attack-on-kamala-harris/

Herr Ottoman Groper is trying is best to say stupider things than Herr Gropenfuhrer. Problem is that Dolt 45 will say something even more unhinged because his ego won’t allow for anyone else to have the spotlight. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Now finish the line

On net worth over $100 MILLION.

$ 100 million. 

This doesn't apply to the average American.   

Seems like you might need a lesson on how the stock market works.  If Kamala is taxing the wealthy with a tax on unrealized gains, then those people are going to be selling their stocks.  There would be no reason to hold onto them, as they would be paying tax on money they never received.  What happens if all the rich people sell their stocks?  Can you say stock market crash?  What happens to all of the average people’s portfolios if the market crashes? 

Also, this is how it starts.  In 1913 they implemented the income tax only on wealthy people.  By 1942 income tax was paid by everybody.  Tax on unrealized gains will eventually trigger down to the average person.  

One more thing.  Seems like this tax on unrealized gains wasn’t well thought out.  If you are being taxed on income from gains that you haven’t received yet, what happens the following year if the stocks go down and you lose all the money that you previously gained?  Is the government going to refund the rich people all of their tax money that they already paid?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Really doing what they can to close that gender gap...........

In the rush to put all of the blame for the Afghanistan withdrawal on the Dems, the Republicans are forgetting the Dotard’s role in the whole affair. Not to mention the 2019 clusterfuck that cost US soldiers lives in the pullout from Syria. Don’t see Dolt 45 and his minions visiting those graves. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Taxing unrealized gains?  Wow. Good luck with that one. 

Er, the US Estate Tax, is a tax on unrealized gains, unless you consider death to be a realization of your gains, like we do in Canada. 
Some Countries are looking at imposing a tax on your wealth, on an annual basis.

As they say, taxation is the art of removing feathers from the goose, with the least amount of hissing.

14 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Er, the US Estate Tax, is a tax on unrealized gains, unless you consider death to be a realization of your gains, like we do in Canada. 
Some Countries are looking at imposing a tax on your wealth, on an annual basis.

As they say, taxation is the art of removing feathers from the goose, with the least amount of hissing.

There is no estate tax if only one spouse dies, the assets pass onto the other spouse tax free.  If the second spouse dies, then there is a tax on all the remaining assets in the estate.  However, those assets have to be sold.  Whether there is a physical sale or a deemed disposition, there is a sale involved.  

An unrealized gain means there was no sale involved.  You are literally paying tax on profit you have not received…