US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

43 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You would say that because they are part of the party that you do not like.

The "religious right" has actually been slowly losing their influence for a while now.  The Republicans still count them as one of their major groups, but their was a time when they would have dropped to their knees and licked boots to please them.

The reason why the "religious right" has been losing influence over the years?  Because the younger people are much less religious, or do not believe in religion, and the older religious people have been slowly dying off.

That's how the face of both the world and of politics changes.  As each generation dies off, the newer generations take the wheel and drive. 

That's what we're seeing now with both religion and politics.

What else is driving the crimes against humanity that the couch-fucker wants to commit against women if not religion?

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

You would say that because they are part of the party that you do not like.

The "religious right" has actually been slowly losing their influence for a while now.  The Republicans still count them as one of their major groups, but their was a time when they would have dropped to their knees and licked boots to please them.

The reason why the "religious right" has been losing influence over the years?  Because the younger people are much less religious, or do not believe in religion, and the older religious people have been slowly dying off.

That's how the face of both the world and of politics changes.  As each generation dies off, the newer generations take the wheel and drive. 

That's what we're seeing now with both religion and politics.

I'm not really sure who this group is that has replaced religion with politics, can you give me an example?  I'm honestly asking, not baiting.

I think atheists and agnostics are, by nature, higher level critical thinkers and, while I think many of them are engaged and knowledgeable politically, I dont see many with the zealotry of religious folks.

Further to that, why would political engagement be a bad thing?  

Edited by stawns

On 9/1/2024 at 5:09 PM, bishopshodan said:

A vote against Trump is what matters.

Are Biden, Harris, or many other politicians flawed? yep.

But none are as dangerous as Trump. To abstain or vote 3rd party, facing what Trump could continue to turn that country into is doing the future of the States a disservice imo.

Especially when that third party candidate is noted Russian asset Jill Stein. 

• Cheers 1

TRUMP didn't start any wars.  MAGA loves that one.

Thing is, more US service members died in combat under TRUMP that under Biden.

65 died in "hostile action" during the TRUMP administration.  Officially for Biden's administration, only 13 have died as of 2022 (the last year tabulated) and a further 3 through press releases from 2023 and 2024.

65 to 16

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2024/09/03/world-war-iii-fewer-u-s-troops-died-in-combat-under-biden-harris-than-trump/

• Cheers 2

How many times do they have to tell us what they are for?  There are lots of couples who have trouble getting pregnant and IVF helped them get there.  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/sep/03/jd-vance-trump-ivf-abortion-heritage-foundation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

JD Vance endorsed anti-IVF report that contradicts Trump’s new stance

VP nominee wrote foreword to 2017 Heritage Foundation paper arguing against IVF access, which Trump now backs

• Cheers 1

I get the feeling this might become a bit of a story.

Trump commuted the sentence of a drug kingpin who murdered a police officer just before he left office. Why? The murderer/drug lord didn't apply for a pardon through normal channels and was not approved by the DOJ or White House for commutation. Instead, he hired an attorney who was close with Don Jr. who had access to Trump. We don't know if money changed hands or why Trump would pardon someone who murdered a police officer. The convict was later arrested and convicted of strangling his wife. Trump doesn't care about anything but himself. It's all a big grift.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Vintage 2

22 hours ago, King Heffy said:

What else is driving the crimes against humanity that the couch-fucker wants to commit against women if not religion?

Religion used in the way that it wasn't intended will always be a problem.  It's just that now that those same people that would have misused religion are now getting way too into politics and misusing that the same way.

Edited by Sabrefan1