US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not really sure who this group is that has replaced religion with politics, can you give me an example?  I'm honestly asking, not baiting.

I think atheists and agnostics are, by nature, higher level critical thinkers and, while I think many of them are engaged and knowledgeable politically, I dont see many with the zealotry of religious folks.

Further to that, why would political engagement be a bad thing?  

When atheists and agnostics were small in number, they were many times what you think about them.  Now that they are no longer small in number, you're getting morons   looking for fulfillment and plenty are choosing politics.

As for a group, as far as every article I've read over the last few years that discusses religiosity, Gen Z'ers have the least belief followed by with Millennials.  Basically the people that will slowly be inheriting the Earth sooner rather than later since my generation (Gen X) was a comparatively small one.

People look for a sense of fulfillment so they can believe they make a difference in the world.  That used to come in the form of Bible thumping and telling people how they should live.  Now it's slowly becoming, picking a side in politics and telling people how they should live.

As for your final point.  Political engagement is fine...  Until you make it your identity.  There are occasional polls where people are admitting more and more that they will end a date, or not even accept one, if the other person belongs to a disliked party.  Google it.  It's pretty weird.

I am so glad that I wasn't born a young Millennial or Gen Z'er. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

When atheists and agnostics were small in number, they were many times what you think about them.  Now that they are no longer small in number, you're getting morons   looking for fulfillment and plenty are choosing politics.

As for a group, as far as every article I've read over the last few years that discusses religiosity, Gen Z'ers have the least belief followed by with Millennials.  Basically the people that will slowly be inheriting the Earth sooner rather than later since my generation (Gen X) was a comparatively small one.

People look for a sense of fulfillment so they can believe they make a difference in the world.  That used to come in the form of Bible thumping and telling people how they should live.  Now it's slowly becoming, picking a side in politics and telling people how they should live.

As for your final point.  Political engagement is fine...  Until you make it your identity.  There are occasional polls where people are admitting more and more that they will end a date, or not even accept one, if the other person belongs to a disliked party.  Google it.  It's pretty weird.

Yup. Too many folks don’t understand that certain things are private. Yet there are those (usually, as you point out, the younger crowed) who think it’s their duty to convey their private beliefs. Wouldn’t these types likely be leftist? 

On 9/1/2024 at 5:36 PM, Sabrefan1 said:

I've said it before...   Cherry picking polls to paint your narrative with a headline many won't actually read past.  This time it's in favour of Trump.

Kamala Harris Trails Donald Trump in 5 New Battleground Polls

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kamala-harris-trails-donald-trump-in-5-new-battleground-polls/ar-AA1pNpsU?ocid=msedgdhp

Same news organization (Newsweek) put this out just over 24 hours later using a different cherry picked poll to continue to paint the same chosen narrative...

Kamala Harris' Lead Over Trump Being 'Steadily Cut'—Poll

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kamala-harris-lead-over-trump-being-steadily-cut-poll/ar-AA1pU599?

Edited by Sabrefan1
spacing *2nd edit* redundant word deleted/grammar

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

There's worse reasons not to date someone.  I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman to refuse to date a MAGAt for personal safety reasons, for example, given their disregard for women's rights.  If two people can't agree on what's right and what's wrong, they probably shouldn't date each other, just as my bacon loving self shouldn't date a vegan.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Too many folks don’t understand that certain things are private. Yet there are those (usually, as you point out, the younger crowed) who think it’s their duty to convey their private beliefs. Wouldn’t these types likely be leftist? 

These days, it's both left and right.  It used to be mostly the right.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's worse reasons not to date someone.  I don't think it's unreasonable for a woman to refuse to date a MAGAt for personal safety reasons, for example, given their disregard for women's rights.  If two people can't agree on what's right and what's wrong, they probably shouldn't date each other, just as my bacon loving self shouldn't date a vegan.

Not wanting to date a cultist is fine, but they polled conservatives who wouldn't date liberals and vice versa.  That brings me back to the days when Catholics wouldn't date protestants.  Heck, in Ireland, Catholics used to kill Protestants and vice versa.  That only ended a couple decades ago.

Edited by Sabrefan1
Spelling
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Not wanting to date a cultist is fine, but they polled conservative who wouldn't date liberals and vice versa.  That brings me back to the days when Catholics wouldn't date protestants.  Heck in Ireland Catholics used to kill Protestants and vice versa.  That only ended a couple decades ago.

I'm the grandson of an English Protestant and an Irish Catholic. Man the stories I heard about how close I came to never existing. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I'm the grandson of an English Protestant and an Irish Catholic. Man the stories I heard about how close I came to never existing. 

I remember reading in the newspaper, and seeing on the nightly news, the bombings and shootings that took place between those 2 denominations.

Now there are people in the US that want to start a civil war between Republicans and Democrats.  Politics mirroring religion...

16 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Same news organization (Newsweek) put this out just over 24 hours later using a different cherry picked poll to continue to paint the same chosen narrative...

Kamala Harris' Lead Over Trump Being 'Steadily Cut'—Poll

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/kamala-harris-lead-over-trump-being-steadily-cut-poll/ar-AA1pU599?

The debate on September 10 should change these numbers one way or the other. Have you read what I read that Kamala wants the microphones unmuted? Why is that?  I thought they had agreed to do exactly what they did with the Trump/Biden debate? 

In any event, once Trump goes to prison and is sent to Rikers Island on September 18, there isn’t going to be much of a race left. Kamala will win by default. Unless the MAGA crowd start a civil war. Which is possible. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I thought the tree huggers and bark eaters were mostly lefty’s? 

The Republicans are still also very involved in people's private lives.  Just look at the abortion issue for instance. 

The left have upped their involvement in private lives as well over the years. 

It's politicians slowly turning the screws of power on the populace rather than letting people decide their own fate.

• Vintage 1

The Republicans are still also very involved in people's private lives.  Just look at the abortion issue for instance. 

The left have upped their involvement in private lives as well over the years. 

It's politicians slowly turning the screws of power on the populace rather than letting people decide their own fate.

Good point. Up here too mostly people just want to be left alone. They want less government; not more. The irony is though, people are getting more and more dependent on the government to help them. Maybe we are both going to “hell in a hand basket”?

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Religion used in the way that it wasn't intended will always be a problem.  It's just that now that those same people that would have misused religion are now getting way too into politics and misusing that the same way.

It's used exactly as intended. 

Personal spirituality otoh is something else.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The debate on September 10 should change these numbers one way or the other.

Not the point I'm driving at.  I've been preaching at this board that news orgs use cherry picked polls to paint chosen narratives.  I've latched onto Newsweek to prove my point because they're hammering Harris so people here are less likely to push back and are more likely to read and remember my posts.

Have you read what I read that Kamala wants the microphones unmuted?  Why is that?  I thought they had agreed to do exactly what they did with the Trump/Biden debate.

I saw that.  I'm flummoxed.  I think that rule-set works out better for her.  Not sure why they are complaining about it.

In any event, once Trump goes to prison and is sent to Rikers Island on September 18, there isn’t going to be much of a race left. Kamala will win by default. Unless the MAGA crowd start a civil war. Which is possible. 

After reading about former agent reports that the USSS has become partially political, I've been shaky on my belief that they wouldn't allow Trump to be imprisoned.  I'm still leaning towards house arrest if he's sentenced to time, but I'm much less sure about that now.

There aren't enough MAGA to start a civil war.  There are still plenty, but not like there once was.

Not the point I'm driving at.  I've been preaching at this board that news orgs use cherry picked polls to paint chosen narratives.  I've latched onto Newsweek to prove my point because they're hammering Harris so people here are less likely to push back and are more likely to read and remember my posts.

I saw that.  I'm flummoxed.  I think that rule-set works out better for her.  Not sure why they are complaining about it.

After reading about former agent reports that the USSS has become partially political, I've been shaky on my belief that they wouldn't allow Trump to be imprisoned.  I'm still leaning towards house arrest if he's sentenced to time, but I'm much less sure about that now.

There aren't enough MAGA to start a civil war.  There are still plenty, but not like there once was.

I saw a few things on Twitter that tell me he is going to prison. I won’t ruin the surprise for everyone else though. 

If I’m right I’ll be 2-3. And I also heard they might switch out Kamala. Which would give me a perfect record. Would be much easier to switch her out with Trump at Rikers Island. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's used exactly as intended.

Religions are made and intended to be peaceful.  It's people that turn them into violence.  There's a reason why the Catholics claimed it was a sin to translate the Bible from it's original Latin.  They weren't able to control the narrative otherwise.

Personal spirituality otoh is something else.

I know zilch about what people call spirituality.  It's a bit too "woo-woo" for me.  At least the 60's/70's version of it... lol

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I saw a few things on Twitter that tell me he is going to prison. I won’t ruin the surprise for everyone else though.

I see a bunch of things on Twitter daily.  There's a reason why I usually last 10-15 minutes tops on it before I have to close it out.  Now if there's reports that they're building a separate apartment-like building on the grounds of a state prison, then I'm interested in the story.   Mostly because that would be stupid and it would be easier and cheaper to just put him on house arrest.

If I’m right I’ll be 2-3. And I also heard they might switch out Kamala. Which would give me a perfect record. Would be much easier to switch her out with Trump at Rikers Island. 

Switching out someone after they are nominated is much much more difficult than before they are nominated.  Kamala's not just going to resign her nomination.

Speaking of Elon Musk...  It's good to be a mega billionaire with your own private slice of the internet based in space.

Elon Musk defies X ban in Brazil by beaming app from space

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/elon-musk-defies-x-ban-in-brazil-by-beaming-app-from-space/ar-AA1pUbYh?

*edit*

As @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo pointed out, people have had longer farts than that defiance from Elon Musk lasted.

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-starlink-x-block-compliance-musk-supreme-court-moraes-d09dfe4c6fbfacf303968fe44bcd0ab1

Edited by Sabrefan1

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Religions are made and intended to be peaceful

That's another way to describe control mechanisms I guess.

13 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

It's people that turn them into violence.  There's a reason why the Catholics claimed it was a sin to translate the Bible from it's original Latin.  They weren't able to control the narrative otherwise.

I know zilch about what people call spirituality.  It's a bit too "woo-woo" for me.  At least the 60's/70's version of it... lol

I'm talking about anyone's personal understanding, not just hippies.

Outside of maybe a few small scale societies I'd argue all organized religion has a control element.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Outside of maybe a few small scale societies I'd argue all organized religion has a control element.

I wasn't teasing.  I really don't know much about spirituality.  I've never had an interest in learning about it.  The 60's/70's thing was just a jokey quip about hippies.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

dbl. post.

Edited by Sabrefan1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I see a bunch of things on Twitter daily.  There's a reason why I usually last 10-15 minutes tops on it before I have to close it out.  Now if there's reports that they're building a separate apartment-like building on the grounds of a state prison, then I'm interested in the story.   Mostly because that would be stupid and it would be easier and cheaper to just put him on house arrest.

Switching out someone after they are nominated is much much more difficult than before they are nominated.  Kamala's not just going to resign her nomination.

They aren’t building a separate building for him. Something else. 

They had no problem dumping Joe. They will also have no problem dumping Kamala. She was never their first choice.