US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They aren’t building a separate building for him. Something else. 

They had no problem dumping Joe. They will also have no problem dumping Kamala. She was never their first choice. 

I know.  She reportedly threatened and basically forced her way into it. 

Federal laws kick in after an official nomination.  Short of her resigning, it would be really tough to remove her.

Edited by Sabrefan1
added "reportedly" because it was hearsay reports

4 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Federal laws kick in after an official nomination.  Short of her resigning, it would be really tough to remove her.

Just look at RFK Jr  and his plight to get off a number of ballots.  He fought to get on, now they are saying he can't get off.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Just look at RFK Jr  and his plight to get off a number of ballots.  He fought to get on, now they are saying he can't get off.

I think most of those are state laws pertaining to federal elections.  Although, it's basically the same idea whether you're nominated by a party or a bunch of petition signers.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They aren’t building a separate building for him. Something else. 

They had no problem dumping Joe. They will also have no problem dumping Kamala. She was never their first choice. 

With two months left until the election, it’s way too close for Harris to be replaced.

25 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Speaking of Elon Musk...  It's good to be a mega billionaire with your own private slice of the internet based in space.

Elon Musk defies X ban in Brazil by beaming app from space

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/elon-musk-defies-x-ban-in-brazil-by-beaming-app-from-space/ar-AA1pUbYh?

Didn't last long

https://apnews.com/article/brazil-starlink-x-block-compliance-musk-supreme-court-moraes-d09dfe4c6fbfacf303968fe44bcd0ab1

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I believe the legally ambiguous term is allegedly. First time I've heard this though. You got any linkypoos?

Just now, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Maybe he realized that he could get denied a license to operate if he didn't follow the order.  Then it could follow suit to his car company being denied an operating license.  

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I believe the legally ambiguous term is allegedly. First time I've heard this though. You got any linkypoos?

Definitely allegedly.  That's why I edited in a word after my original post.  I read it from 2 or 3 sources.  I don't remember which ones though.  Sorry.

Honestly, I was moderately impressed by the alleged power move.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Maybe he realized that he could get denied a license to operate if he didn't follow the order.  Then it could follow suit to his car company being denied an operating license.  

According to the article he was trying to paint it as a rouge judge censoring free speech until it was upheld unanimously by the supreme court. He even attacked the judge online and posted his photo, wtf? Pretty dangerous territory if you ask me.

If I understand correctly, I think ultimately the government has control of the ground stations and would have disabled them if they didn't comply regardless. From what I understand Musk has agreed to the exact same requirements by other governments. It's almost like he's trying to stir up political unrest amirite.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Definitely allegedly.  That's why I edited in a word after my original post.  I read it from 2 or 3 sources.  I don't remember which ones though.  Sorry.

Honestly, I was moderately impressed by the alleged power move.

Now that you put it that way I think I recall the discussion. The 

wording threw me off. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

When atheists and agnostics were small in number, they were many times what you think about them.  Now that they are no longer small in number, you're getting morons   looking for fulfillment and plenty are choosing politics.

As for a group, as far as every article I've read over the last few years that discusses religiosity, Gen Z'ers have the least belief followed by with Millennials.  Basically the people that will slowly be inheriting the Earth sooner rather than later since my generation (Gen X) was a comparatively small one.

People look for a sense of fulfillment so they can believe they make a difference in the world.  That used to come in the form of Bible thumping and telling people how they should live.  Now it's slowly becoming, picking a side in politics and telling people how they should live.

As for your final point.  Political engagement is fine...  Until you make it your identity.  There are occasional polls where people are admitting more and more that they will end a date, or not even accept one, if the other person belongs to a disliked party.  Google it.  It's pretty weird.

I am so glad that I wasn't born a young Millennial or Gen Z'er. 

The only political identity I see is keeping that fucking scumbag conman out of the Whitehouse.  Beyond that, I dont remotely see what you're describing, except in the MAGA cult 

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Musk is still a net positive, even if he can be a dick.  If it wasn't for SpaceX, we'd have to count on Boeing's leaky space capsules to get to space.  😬

Is that your final answer?

No community note on his account saying it's a BS image. Rules for thee but not for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I saw a few things on Twitter that tell me he is going to prison. I won’t ruin the surprise for everyone else though. 

If I’m right I’ll be 2-3. And I also heard they might switch out Kamala. Which would give me a perfect record. Would be much easier to switch her out with Trump at Rikers Island. 

I believe your prediction was they'd replace Biden with Michelle Obama. You would not get paid out on that bet. That's not a correct prediction. That's why you don't make parlays. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

According to the article he was trying to paint it as a rouge judge censoring free speech until it was upheld unanimously by the supreme court. He even attacked the judge online and posted his photo, wtf? Pretty dangerous territory if you ask me.

If I understand correctly, I think ultimately the government has control of the ground stations and would have disabled them if they didn't comply regardless. From what I understand Musk has agreed to the exact same requirements by other governments. It's almost like he's trying to stir up political unrest amirite.

I read the article right after you posted it. 

The ground stations would suck to lose, but he could still keep the internet up without them.  It would just be spotty and slower.  They're getting it for free right now anyways.

I think it's still mostly to do with Tesla.  He doesn't want to lose that market over a spat with a judge.

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

The only political identity I see is keeping that fucking scumbag conman out of the Whitehouse.  Beyond that, I dont remotely see what you're describing, except in the MAGA cult 

This is just one of those unsatisfying agree to disagree endings I suppose.  😆

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Is that your final answer?

No community note on his account saying it's a BS image. Rules for thee but not for me.

He's an emotional teenager.  Like I've said, he can be a dick.

Anyone who needs a community note to know that Harris wasn't part of the Soviet Union needs to stay off of the internet....lol

Double check me, but I think Musk has actually gotten hit once or twice with community notes in the past.

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I believe your prediction was they'd replace Biden with Michelle Obama. You would not get paid out on that bet. That's not a correct prediction. That's why you don't make parlays. 🙂

I still have time to get my perfect record if they switch Kamala with Michelle before the election...   😉

7 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

He's an emotional teenager.  Like I've said, he can be a dick.

Anyone who needs a community note to know that Harris wasn't part of the Soviet Union needs to stay off of the internet....lol

Double check me, but I think Musk has actually gotten hit once or twice with community notes in the past.

This right there is the problem. Do you have any idea how many morons there are out there who believe this nonsense? And yes they should not be on the internet but they are. Constantly being spoon fed a steady diet of radical BS. This type of person has been a target of the Republican party for decades. This guy below nails it perfectly.....

Atwater was one of the most dangerous political minds out there in the 70's and 80's. I have absolutely no problem saying his death at the age of 40 from a brain tumour was beneficial to democracy.

Mayer-LeeAtwater.thumb.webp.c24bede5ac0b80b647fb1e42a33884a0.webp

That's Atwater on the far right (pun intended), middle Roger Stone, left Paul Manafort.

If Musk has got hit with 'community notes' in the past it looks like he's fixed that.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1