US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Both the GOP and the DNC have promised to keep Social Security whole. Currently, and for many years, SS pays out more monet than paid in. There is a mandated cut coming on 2033 of 21%. SS pays out $1782 per month on average. That is $2400 CDN. Canadian OAS pays $718 to $790 based on income. 

Thing is, there is a limit on income that Social Security is taxed (in 2025 income over 174,900 is exempt from SS tax).  Raising the limit funds SS.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This just tells me that Canada is sucking the hind teat when it comes to looking after our old folks.....

....but not to worry, I'm sure the Cons will fix that as soon as they finishing winning the biggest landslide in the history of landslides....

I guess we provide a better safety net, but yea if you are just relying on cpp and OAS it's going to be hard.

Just now, RupertKBD said:

This just tells me that Canada is sucking the hind teat when it comes to looking after our old folks.....

....but not to worry, I'm sure the Cons will fix that as soon as they finishing winning the biggest landslide in the history of landslides....

The income difference between Americans and Canadians has existed for a long time and over multiple admins. No matter politics, no Canadian should be happy about this. I have been questioning the benefits of NAFTA for some time now. This situation is turning me into an economic nationalist. There is no doubt in my mind that the Americans play us off against the Mexicans to their advantage. Cheap Mexican labor and cheaper Canadian raw materials. I am not saying there is no advantage to accessing the American market but I do question what it does to our broader economic diversification. 

Just now, Boudrias said:

The income difference between Americans and Canadians has existed for a long time and over multiple admins. No matter politics, no Canadian should be happy about this. I have been questioning the benefits of NAFTA for some time now. This situation is turning me into an economic nationalist. There is no doubt in my mind that the Americans play us off against the Mexicans to their advantage. Cheap Mexican labor and cheaper Canadian raw materials. I am not saying there is no advantage to accessing the American market but I do question what it does to our broader economic diversification. 

Not sure how you got the impression that I was "happy" about this....I've committed to working until I'm 71, just so I can get a decent work pension.

What I'm saying is, I don't see much chance of that changing along with a change in PM.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

If you can show me the math how protectionist policies would be better, I'd love to see it. Not kidding. I just don't see how but if there is a way it would be great to see.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To be fair, all countries are in it for themselves primarily (and to be honest, they wouldn't be doing their jobs as elected representatives if they didn't).  Still, if the chips are down, I know who'd I rather have to rely on vs those countries I wouldn't (unless I had real leverage against).  

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

Not sure how you got the impression that I was "happy" about this....I've committed to working until I'm 71, just so I can get a decent work pension.

What I'm saying is, I don't see much chance of that changing along with a change in PM.

Never said you were. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For those wondering what Melania was up to, she's been busy writing her memoir.  She says the truth will finally come out.  Stay tuned...

Maybe it's just me but I would think campaigning with your husband for President and actually showing a modicum of interest in being 1st lady again might be a little more important. Guess her priorities are different.

This is a bit of an eye opener....according to one of Trump's lawyers, their legal efforts are being directed (or at least advised upon) by Clarence Thomas:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/judge-chutkan-gets-trump-lawyer-to-scurry-away-from-seemingly-explosive-admission/ar-AA1q4248?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4609f20d13e041ed88ca3c344d776719&ei=14

Chutkan asked why the defense didn't challenge the special counsel's authority last year, and Lauro said a concurring opinion penned by Thomas in the D.C. immunity ruling raised the issue of Smith's authority, which Cannon then used to justify her dismissal of Trump's charges in the classified documents case.

Lauro then told the court that Thomas directed them to raise this issue, according to CBS News correspondent Scott MacFarlane, who said the statement seemed to catch Chutkan by surprise.

"He directed you to do it?" Chutkan asked.

Trump's attorney backtracked, saying, "Well, he didn't direct us to," according to MacFarlane.

MSNBC's Katie Phang said the judge told Trump's attorneys the deadline to file a motion challenging Smith's appointment has passed, adding that she didn't find Cannon's opinion to be "persuasive," but Lauro argued that Thomas had given them the green light to file the challenge anyway.

"When you read Justice Thomas’ concurrence he’s telling us to file this motion," Lauro said, according to Phang.

Nothing sketchy going on here....:classic_rolleyes:

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1