US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Driving while black is still a thing down there sadly.  I'd expect some "random" stops.

no doubt. 

Its moronic. Why would anyone admit to some rando what they were doing? or even stop for them to answer a question? what right would a municipal police officer have to even suspect it?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

It definitely is looking that way. Just when I think the shiz can't possibly get any shizzier....there it is. MAGA madness again...more. 🙁🙁

The one plus side is that it will expose these maniacs for what they are.  Hopefully 2024 results in a full denazification of the House.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Nearly one in four Americans believe political violence justified to ‘save’ US

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/25/us-political-violence-justified-survey

image.png.845e1145e4f225ee2345509b720738d9.png

Spoken like a true warrior!
“Now if you can just bring the war to my bedroom because I’m a little housebound at the moment.”

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2023 at 10:10 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Ivanka must choose between daddy and perjury because she will most likely lose in her efforts to quash a subpoena requiring her immediate testimony.

Letitia James wants to know why she paid 8.5 million for a penthouse in her daddy’s Park Avenue apartment building when the the apartment was allegedly valued at 20,282,000.

I’m betting the market placed her purchase at the value of the property at that time. Ivanka knew the property was worth far less and Trump is probably too cheap to give his daughter a discount… if he did the question then becomes did she pay taxes on that discount.

She is going to lose and will be forced to testify and she is really stuck. Trump wouldn’t take a hit for his daughter, the question is will she take one for him or will she nail him.

Her testimony if honest will only prove that Trump has inflated values on his property and will further prove that he commits fraud in his valuations

On 10/24/2023 at 10:10 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Ivanka must choose between daddy and perjury because she will most likely lose in her efforts to quash a subpoena requiring her immediate testimony.

Letitia James wants to know why she paid 8.5 million for a penthouse in her daddy’s Park Avenue apartment building when the the apartment was allegedly valued at 20,282,000.

I’m betting the market placed her purchase at the value of the property at that time. Ivanka knew the property was worth far less and Trump is probably too cheap to give his daughter a discount… if he did the question then becomes did she pay taxes on that discount.

She is going to lose and will be forced to testify and she is really stuck. Trump wouldn’t take a hit for his daughter, the question is will she take one for him or will she nail him.

Her testimony if honest will only prove that Trump has inflated values on his property and will further prove that he commits fraud in his valuations

Just for shits and giggles, let’s suppose that the property was really worth $20,282,000. Trump would have to report the $12 m difference as a “gift” on a US gift tax return, and pay up to 40% tax on the Gift, unless he applies it against his lifetime Estate Tax exemption.

Another way of looking at this is that he could be taxed on the understating of income on this related party transaction 

Either way, the IRS should be taking a long hard look at this transaction. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Judge Forces Trump to Testify for Insult Then Fines Him $10K

In a shocking turn of events, the New York judge presiding over Donald Trump’s bank fraud trial ordered the former president to testify Wednesday over an insult Trump threw at the judge’s law clerk.

After a brief testimony by Trump, Justice Arthur F. Engoron formally called him out.

“As the trier of fact, I find that the witness is not credible, that he was referring to my law clerk, who is sitting much closer to me, who doesn’t have a barrier,” he said. “I hereby fine you $10,000, which is on the liberal side, to be paid within 30 days.”

During a court break earlier in the day, Trump held an impromptu press conference outside the courtroom in which he complained about the “person who’s very partisan sitting alongside of [the judge],” an oblique reference to attorney Allison Greenfield, who advises the judge on this case.

Immediately after that, Justice Arthur F. Engoron warned Trump’s lawyers that he was in clear violation of the gag order he imposed at the very start of the trial. Defense attorney Christopher Kise claimed that Trump was actually referring to the witness, Trump’s sworn enemy and former lawyer Michael Cohen. The judge said he’d take the matter under advisement.

However, when trial continued after a lunch break, Engoron held a surprise hearing in which he ordered Trump to take the witness stand—marking the first time the real estate tycoon has done so in his ongoing legal troubles.

After a visibly perturbed Trump was sworn in, the judge asked him who he was referring to when he directed his anger at the person sitting next to the judge who's “very partisan.”

“Are you sure you didn't mean on the other side of me, my principle law clerk?” Engoron asked.

“Yes actually,” Trump said, sticking to his story.

Engoron probed further, asking Trump if he had previously refererred to his law clerk as a “partisan democrat?”

“She may be unfair. I think she's very biased against us. I think we made that clear… we put up a picture, and you didn’t want that up… we didn’t necessarily agree with that... and we didn’t take it down,” Trump said.

But Engoron wouldn’t buy it.

“As you can see, my principal law clerk is very close to me,” Engoron said. “You and I see can see each other, we're close, but we're not as close, clearly. And there's a barrier between us.”

“Don’t you always refer to Michael Cohen as Michael Cohen?” Engoron pressed on.

“No,” Trump shot back.

Engoron, clearly frustrated, frowned as he moved his tongue under his cheek.

“The witness is excused, I have no further questions,” he said.

“Thank you, sir,” Trump said, then walked out of the witness box.

Engoron then issued his ruling, which sparked protests from defense lawyers Christopher Kise and Alina Habba.

“I think that’s a dangerous place to go, not just with the sanction but with the trial,” Kise warned.

The judge said he wouldn’t reconsider, and started up the trial again.

Sounds like he's really pissing off this judge.

At what point does he lose his patience and throw Agent Orange in Rikers where he belongs?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1