US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't really understand how kicking Joe while he's down will make Harris look like a better option. That kind of thing would turn me off as a voter.

It may turn you off but it is clear the people want drastic change and they still see Harris as just a continuation of Biden that they don't want. 

She need to distance herself from Biden and the best way to do it is to throw Biden under the bus seeing how she is not going with populist policy ideas like universal child care or universal paid family leave. 

12 minutes ago, 24K said:

It may turn you off but it is clear the people want drastic change and they still see Harris as just a continuation of Biden that they don't want. 

She need to distance herself from Biden and the best way to do it is to throw Biden under the bus seeing how she is not going with populist policy ideas like universal child care or universal paid family leave. 

She might some traction promising to completely denazify the SCOTUS.

1 hour ago, 24K said:

She can also just thank him for doing the right thing, and then explain how she's different.

If she does the under the bus thing she looks disloyal imo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

She can also just thank him for doing the right thing, and then explain how she's different.

If she does the under the bus thing she looks disloyal imo. 

Well she did that and doesn't look like it is working. The electorate want Biden's blood and head on a spike. 

19 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Do they? What has led you to that conclusion?

Polling constantly indicate voters want drastic changes from Biden's policies. 

Have to remember average voter see inflation and their shrinking purchasing power and just blame it on the president whither he and his policies are responsible for it or not. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Polling constantly indicate voters want drastic changes from Biden's policies. 

Have to remember average voter see inflation and their shrinking purchasing power and just blame it on the president whither he and his policies are responsible for it or not. 

Agreed.  Not sure I'd describe that as a 'head on a spike' outlook though.  

Vice President Kamala Harris will try to use her debate on Tuesday against former President Donald J. Trump to argue that Americans are ready to turn the page on the politics of the past decade, with its turmoil and social animus.

But Mr. Trump, standing just feet away, is likely to make a different case: He is expected to try to paint Ms. Harris, the sitting vice president, as the candidate of the status quo.

The debate will pose a challenge for Ms. Harris, who will have to decide how much to embrace or distance herself from President Biden and his policies at a moment when polls show that many Americans are hungry for change. It is a conundrum other vice presidents have faced while seeking the presidency, and Ms. Harris’s allies said she would have to tread carefully as she makes a case for herself.

“She can praise Biden and talk about the accomplishments, but also acknowledge that the work is not done,” said Bakari Sellers, an ally of Ms. Harris and a Democratic political commentator. “So she has to be willing to display to the American people a level of empathy and understanding, and not simply say everything we did was God’s gift to politics.”

A recent poll by The New York Times and Siena College highlighted the difficult task Ms. Harris faces. It found that 61 percent of likely voters said the next president should represent a major change from Mr. Biden. Only 25 percent said Ms. Harris represented that change, while 53 percent said Mr. Trump did.

One of the most glaring vulnerabilities for the vice president is an economy that is stable but whose benefits many voters say they cannot feel. The poll found that Mr. Trump held a 13-percentage-point advantage on the economy, the issue that was cited as the most important to voters.

Mr. Biden championed and pushed through legislation to modernize the country’s infrastructure and pull the economy out of a pandemic spiral, but in recent years he has presided over a period of high inflation, with voters feeling pinched by higher costs of living.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/09/us/politics/kamala-harris-debate-joe-biden.html

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Agreed.  Not sure I'd describe that as a 'head on a spike' outlook though.  

Vice President Kamala Harris will try to use her debate on Tuesday against former President Donald J. Trump to argue that Americans are ready to turn the page on the politics of the past decade, with its turmoil and social animus.

But Mr. Trump, standing just feet away, is likely to make a different case: He is expected to try to paint Ms. Harris, the sitting vice president, as the candidate of the status quo.

The debate will pose a challenge for Ms. Harris, who will have to decide how much to embrace or distance herself from President Biden and his policies at a moment when polls show that many Americans are hungry for change. It is a conundrum other vice presidents have faced while seeking the presidency, and Ms. Harris’s allies said she would have to tread carefully as she makes a case for herself.

“She can praise Biden and talk about the accomplishments, but also acknowledge that the work is not done,” said Bakari Sellers, an ally of Ms. Harris and a Democratic political commentator. “So she has to be willing to display to the American people a level of empathy and understanding, and not simply say everything we did was God’s gift to politics.”

A recent poll by The New York Times and Siena College highlighted the difficult task Ms. Harris faces. It found that 61 percent of likely voters said the next president should represent a major change from Mr. Biden. Only 25 percent said Ms. Harris represented that change, while 53 percent said Mr. Trump did.

One of the most glaring vulnerabilities for the vice president is an economy that is stable but whose benefits many voters say they cannot feel. The poll found that Mr. Trump held a 13-percentage-point advantage on the economy, the issue that was cited as the most important to voters.

Mr. Biden championed and pushed through legislation to modernize the country’s infrastructure and pull the economy out of a pandemic spiral, but in recent years he has presided over a period of high inflation, with voters feeling pinched by higher costs of living.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/09/us/politics/kamala-harris-debate-joe-biden.html

She should really just praise Biden for CHIPS and infrastructure bill and don't even mention anything else especially the inflation reduction act as that seem to be a poison pill.

49 minutes ago, 24K said:

Well she did that and doesn't look like it is working.

Says who? How do you know whether it is working or not? Which blogger told you that?

49 minutes ago, 24K said:

The electorate want Biden's blood and head on a spike. 

Respectfully, hyperbole does not win hearts and minds. I think you mean MAGA wants Biden's head. To extend that sentiment to the entire electorate is sloppy thinking and not remotely true. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 24K said:

What you say is possibly true, but it's not the impression that I've gotten.

Yes, some folks will blame JB for Inflation, but I think most voters know that the Pandemic and the Ukraine war were more to blame than any policy of the Biden administration. From where I was sitting, the main complaint about Joe, by far, was that he was too old.

Much easier to tie that criticism to Dolt 45, than it is to Kamala.....especially considering the fact that for the past several months, he's seemingly been incapable of stringing a few sentences together without sounding like Mushmouth from the Cosby Kids....

Regarding PolyMarket a few weeks ago Harris went from an 8 point lead to a 1 point deficit in 36 hours when nothing was going on. I have spent the last 2+ decades trading markets for a living, mainly seeking out abnormalities in pricing. This movement to me absolutely reaks of BS and shenanigans. These are not the most liquid markets in the world and they can be moved without much money relatively speaking. For example someone like Musk could manipulate this market for an amount of money he couldn't be bothered to pick up had he dropped it in the street.

As of right now Nate Silver's 538 site has

Arizona Trump +.4

Georgia Harris +.2

Michigan Harris +1.9

Nevada Harris +.5

North Carolina Trump +.7

Pennsylvania Harris +.6

Wisconsin Harris +2.8

Common sense should tell anyone those numbers do not equate to a 5 point Trump lead. And there's money to be made there by betting contrarian at least on a short term basis after the debate.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yes, some folks will blame JB for Inflation, but I think most voters know that the Pandemic and the Ukraine war were more to blame than any policy of the Biden administration. From where I was sitting, the main complaint about Joe, by far, was that he was too old.

Much easier to tie that criticism to Dolt 45, than it is to Kamala.....especially considering the fact that for the past several months, he's seemingly been incapable of stringing a few sentences together without sounding like Mushmouth from the Cosby Kids....

This is borne out by the spike in Biden's approval rating since his dropping out.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I figured it was shenanigans as soon as I saw it....it was at odds with virtually every other poll I've seen within the past couple of weeks.

Seems to me there are some posters here scouring the internet for anything that looks good for Trump and then posting it here in an attempt to troll.....we know that they have to be trolling, because they keep saying they're "centrists" who "don't like Trump"....:classic_rolleyes:

Usually sounds like they're trying to convince themselves rather than the reader.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Usually sounds like they're trying to convince themselves rather than the reader.

Why convince oneself with self-confirming social media posts when one has the benefit of experts' opinions to draw from?

...unless... the experts don't agree the outcome will be what the self-confirming social media posts suggest?  😱

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

You are giving way too much credit to your average dumb American voters.

We Canadians with way better education system can see it clearly as a more global issue rather than a Biden issue but not your average American sadly. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/65a987a30606be78d0cec970/t/66de3295b1006a56d23dab4e/1725837973382/NSL4A+Members+Statement+of+Support.pdf

Military leaders have submitted a letter endorsing Harris for President. They also refute the notion that the Biden admin is solely responsible for the botched withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Here are the signatories:

Admiral Steve Abbot, USN (Ret)
Brigadier General Steven M. Anderson, USA (Ret)
Major General Peter S. Cooke, USA (Ret)
General Larry R. Ellis, USA (Ret)
Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps John L. Estrada, USMC (Ret), former Ambassador
Major General Randy Manner, USA (Ret)
Vice Admiral Dennis V. McGinn, USN (Ret), former Assistant Secretary of the Navy
General Lloyd W. Newton, USAF (Ret)
Major General Marilyn Quagliotti, USA (Ret)
Rear Admiral Michael E. Smith, USN (Ret)

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

‘Protect Our Ducks and Kittens!’ Elon Musk and House Republicans Go All In On Fake Claims of Migrants Eating Pets In Ohio

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/protect-our-ducks-and-kittens-elon-musk-and-house-republicans-go-all-in-on-fake-claims-of-migrants-eating-pets-in-ohio/

image.jpeg.510103622f21b3dd8361bb9e6158327f.jpeg

Did someone say "Ducks"?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 24K said:

So then she might win over votes from throwing Biden under the bus while losing votes from the ones who actually liked Biden? Isn't that more of a sideways move than a positive move?

Besides, as I've mentioned previously, I put zero faith in polls. I look at 2020 and how even Biden still won because there was enough people then hated Trump's arse. There's likely to be more of them now and the polling it not going to show that because the media wants clicks.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1