US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

47 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I don't know how many of you remember Biden, when he got into office, promising to do something about the USPS reforms that have slowed down the mail in the name of trying to save money.

Well after the Afghanistan debacle took precedence, the USPS issue was forgotten by the wayside and his administration stopped trying to figure out a way to replace the person running the USPS or pressuring him to speed things back up.

My point?  There are postal employees warning everyone that there will be plenty of mail-in ballots that won't get through the ever-growing backlog of mail on time to be counted.

Why does that matter?  The mail-in ballots favour the Democratic party and by extension Kamala Harris, and it's too late to get things going again in time for November.

A few thousand "lost in the mail" votes in just one swing state has the potential to be enough to push the election in favour of one of the candidates who could have actually lost it.

Could I just be paranoid and doom mongering?  Sure.  But there are pictures and stories popping up on the internet from people claiming to be USPS workers showing how much mail is sitting around undelivered.  Could they be fake?  Sure.  But there have been credible warnings for a few years now that exactly this could/would happen, and nobody ever did anything about it.

https://apnews.com/article/election-2024-mail-ballots-voting-postal-service-985dd6e483fb6dc593d83255b11a9d0a

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/biden-cannot-fire-usps-louis-dejoy.html

During his first weeks in office, President Joe Biden has ousted a numberof powerful officials appointed by Donald Trump. One controversial figure from Trump’s presidency, however, remains in office: Louis DeJoy, the notorious postmaster general who almost sabotaged mail voting in the fall and continues to gut the agency, creating catastrophic delays throughout the country. Progressives are furious that DeJoy has kept his post, but Biden’s hands are tied: While the president can fire other high-ranking executive officials at will, federal law bars the president from terminating the postmaster general under any circumstances. Biden can attempt to oust DeJoy indirectly, but that option is fraught with legal uncertainties, and certain to trigger Republican complaints of norm busting. Unless the president is willing to take a significant legal risk, DeJoy will remain in control for months or years to come.

It’s easy to see why progressives want DeJoy gone: He is an unqualified Trump donor who seems to have done everything in his power to ruin the Postal Service. USPS slowdowns have been a recurring issue since the summer, when DeJoy implemented a slew of cost-cutting measures that suddenly and severely degraded delivery services. His policies prohibited delivery trucks from waiting for late mail or making extra trips, dismantled sorting machines, cut overtime, and reduced hours at retail post office locations. Predictably, these changes created massive backlogs and rapidly diminished on-time delivery rates. During the 2020 presidential election, a USPS filing showed major slowdowns in swing states for first-class service, the delivery status assigned to mail ballots. NBC found that between 25,000 and 50,000 ballots likely came in too late to be counted due to poor USPS service.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Biden was back working today alright.. On the Trump campaign. 🙈

image.png.560c15970eb85637fbb0bf309e850391.png

Quick response. The thing about snappy comebacks though is speed of delivery is not quite enough to make them snappy.  They also take a certain amount of cleverness.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Perhaps you should take the blinders off a realize Biden is a vegetable and currently on vacation. Who is running the country again?

He was at the 9/11 ceremony in Washington this morning sitting next to Trump. Is Dolt 45/47 on vacation too?

• Like 1

Republican Twitter crank Jack Posobiec wrote this:

Jack Posobiec: "Taylor Swift is a deep state psyop, but it's ok. We don’t have Taylor Swift on our side, but you know who we have? We have Kid Rock! We have Ted Nugent! We have influencers! We have all these people -- Jon Voight!"

Ted Nugent doesn't seem....wholesome. He wrote and recorded this when he was 32. Not sure if he ever made it to Epstein's island, but maybe?

Jailbait by Ted Nugent

I've got no inhibitions
So keep your keys out of your ignition
I steal a car like I got the curse
I can't resist the old lady's purse
Jailbait you look so good to me
Jailbait won't you set me free
Jailbait you look fine fine fine

I know I've got to have you in a matter of time
Well I don't care if you're just thirteen
You look too good to be true
I just know that you're probably clean
There's one lil' thing I got do to you

I know I've got to have you in a matter of time
So tell your mama that I'm back in town
She likes us boys when it's time to get down
She's got this craving for the underage
I just might be your mama's brand new rage

I know I got to have you in a matter of time
Honey you you you look so nice
She's young she's tender
Won't you please surrender
She's so fine she's mine
All the time, all mine mine

It's all right baby
It's quite all right I asked your mama
Wait a minute officer
Don't put those handcuffs on me
Put them on her and I'll share her with you
Jailbait, jailbait
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/biden-cannot-fire-usps-louis-dejoy.html

During his first weeks in office, President Joe Biden has ousted a numberof powerful officials appointed by Donald Trump. One controversial figure from Trump’s presidency, however, remains in office: Louis DeJoy, the notorious postmaster general who almost sabotaged mail voting in the fall and continues to gut the agency, creating catastrophic delays throughout the country. Progressives are furious that DeJoy has kept his post, but Biden’s hands are tied: While the president can fire other high-ranking executive officials at will, federal law bars the president from terminating the postmaster general under any circumstances. Biden can attempt to oust DeJoy indirectly, but that option is fraught with legal uncertainties, and certain to trigger Republican complaints of norm busting. Unless the president is willing to take a significant legal risk, DeJoy will remain in control for months or years to come.

It’s easy to see why progressives want DeJoy gone: He is an unqualified Trump donor who seems to have done everything in his power to ruin the Postal Service. USPS slowdowns have been a recurring issue since the summer, when DeJoy implemented a slew of cost-cutting measures that suddenly and severely degraded delivery services. His policies prohibited delivery trucks from waiting for late mail or making extra trips, dismantled sorting machines, cut overtime, and reduced hours at retail post office locations. Predictably, these changes created massive backlogs and rapidly diminished on-time delivery rates. During the 2020 presidential election, a USPS filing showed major slowdowns in swing states for first-class service, the delivery status assigned to mail ballots. NBC found that between 25,000 and 50,000 ballots likely came in too late to be counted due to poor USPS service.

I understand the reasoning behind why DeJoy and the others are tough to move, but he continually said that he was going to figure out a way to do it, but never went back to it after getting sidetracked.

He's only hurting his party.  The Republicans, most of all Trump, are happy that the Congressional Democrats in general and Biden in particular did not find a way to reform the USPS.

Kamala is the one who could potentially pay for their inaction.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Postal Workers Union is all but useless these days.

It's the Democrats that rang the bell after DeJoy was appointed as Postmaster General.  They went nuts after his reforms were put in place, but then they went radio silent up until recently when they realized their ignoring of the problem has the potential to cost them votes.  Mail-in voting heavily favours them.  They should have been on this like white on rice until they found a solution.

I actually love using USPS for shipping stuff from the US. Always the cheapest option and most of the time no one bothers collecting the Canadian taxes.

43 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Someone already answered, so my post is unnecessary.

Read my post to that post and respond to it if you'd like to.

It's basically a post saying that Biden and the Democrats didn't even try to push a reform through Congress.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I actually love using USPS for shipping stuff from the US. Always the cheapest option and most of the time no one bothers collecting the Canadian taxes.

I prefer the USPS also.  However, I live in a city and Rochester, which is only 90 minutes away is the major shipping hub for Western and Central NYS.  The only packages that see even a slight delay in the system is the ones I get coming from overseas.  Mostly mainland China and Hong Kong.

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm sorry to hear this. My Dad was in the dump Trump but he listened to what we've had to say and he's totally changed. I am so proud of him...at his age, it's easy to be stuck on your mindset and being "right" but I convinced him that Trump's a delusional maniac and he is now the opposite of MAGA and is one of us MOFOs

Made Our Family Officially Stronger

F Trump

Never forget, for whatever failings Donnie has (and boy does he have them), he has *ALWAYS* been an elite grifter.  He had a talent to know what the 'ordinary person" wants & knew how to sell them what snake oil he was selling (eg., Dotard Steaks, Dotard sneakers, etc.,).  

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I prefer the USPS also.  However, I live in a city and Rochester, which is only 90 minutes away is the major shipping hub for Western and Central NYS.  The only packages that see even a slight delay in the system is the ones I get coming from overseas.  Mostly mainland China and Hong Kong.

You don't like the company this guy works for (after all, the guy is "King" of your state! 🥸😞

b645a081c1e2efc30696635fdeceb82a.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Never forget, for whatever failings Donnie has (and boy does he have them), he has *ALWAYS* been an elite grifter.  He had a talent to know what the 'ordinary person" wants & knew how to sell them what snake oil he was selling (eg., Dotard Steaks, Dotard sneakers, etc.,).  

The fact all of those things failed and went bankrupted kinda says otherwise.