US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

This might not be the best place to ask, but i didnt want to make a new topic for it and i need help and didnt know where else i could turn to.

My wife has been watching a lot of candace owens stuff on tiktok as well as other far right bs and has started to believe it. Its mostly the trans kids being "mutilated" issue that she is paying attention too but other stuff is creeping in as well. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help with debunking this type of stuff or bring up more examples of why candace owens specifically shouldnt be viewed as a reliable source. Any help at all would be appreciated 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Thats a small body said:

This might not be the best place to ask, but i didnt want to make a new topic for it and i need help and didnt know where else i could turn to.

My wife has been watching a lot of candace owens stuff on tiktok as well as other far right bs and has started to believe it. Its mostly the trans kids being "mutilated" issue that she is paying attention too but other stuff is creeping in as well. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help with debunking this type of stuff or bring up more examples of why candace owens specifically shouldnt be viewed as a reliable source. Any help at all would be appreciated 

I don't know about debunking but people latch onto things they already feel honestly. Confirmation bias and all that. Mostly to battle far right nonsense I would point out legit sources of balanced reporting maybe? Breaking Points and Counter Points on youtube are ridiculously good at reporting in a neutral fashion. 

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Thats a small body said:

I think I'd suggest before she makes a final decision on something like this she should actually have a conversation with a trans person. Someone like Owens makes a lot of money from her views and it would only be fair to hear the other side from a real person.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Thats a small body said:

https://www.hrc.org/resources/get-the-facts-on-gender-affirming-care

What exactly is gender-affirming care?

Gender-affirming care, sometimes referred to as transition-related care, is life-saving healthcare for transgender people of all ages. It is not a single category of services but instead is a range of services, including mental health care, medical care, and social services. At all ages, clear, well-established, evidence-based standards of care exist for who can access what form of gender affirming care, and when they are eligible to receive it.

Gender -affirming care is medically necessary for the well-being of many transgender and non-binary people who experience symptoms of gender dysphoria, or distress that results from having one’s gender identity not match their sex assigned at birth. Gender-affirming care helps transgender and non-binary people live openly and authentically as their true selves. Just like any other form of healthcare, it also helps transgender and non-binary people live safe and healthy lives.

Gender affirming care is always delivered in age-appropriate, evidence-based ways, and decisions to provide care are made in consultation with doctors and parents. Collectively representing more than 1.3 million doctors across the United States, every major medical and mental health organization — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Psychological Association — recognizes that it is medically necessary to support people in affirming their gender identity.

Owens is a grifter and a charlatan and should never be trusted over the advice of over 1 million doctors and every major medical health organization. Google gender affirming care and a great many links will reiterate these facts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

https://www.hrc.org/resources/get-the-facts-on-gender-affirming-care

What exactly is gender-affirming care?

Gender-affirming care, sometimes referred to as transition-related care, is life-saving healthcare for transgender people of all ages. It is not a single category of services but instead is a range of services, including mental health care, medical care, and social services. At all ages, clear, well-established, evidence-based standards of care exist for who can access what form of gender affirming care, and when they are eligible to receive it.

Gender -affirming care is medically necessary for the well-being of many transgender and non-binary people who experience symptoms of gender dysphoria, or distress that results from having one’s gender identity not match their sex assigned at birth. Gender-affirming care helps transgender and non-binary people live openly and authentically as their true selves. Just like any other form of healthcare, it also helps transgender and non-binary people live safe and healthy lives.

Gender affirming care is always delivered in age-appropriate, evidence-based ways, and decisions to provide care are made in consultation with doctors and parents. Collectively representing more than 1.3 million doctors across the United States, every major medical and mental health organization — including the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and the American Psychological Association — recognizes that it is medically necessary to support people in affirming their gender identity.

Owens is a grifter and a charlatan and should never be trusted over the advice of over 1 million doctors and every major medical health organization. Google gender affirming care and a great many links will reiterate these facts. 

Edited by Rob Eh
wrong guy

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

(1) Ball-Gagged.jpg

He should have never been allowed to stay out of jail during his trial.  Trump is nothing more than a domestic terrorist and it's a joke that he's still being given a platform to spread his hate speech.  He's lucky he's not being tortured in Guantanamo Bay like he deserves.

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

If I had a dollar for every time I saw this gif on CDC and CFF, I would be a millionaire.

Not to stir things up (and derail the thread) but I actively avoid this one...as I would any gif featuring a pedophile, no matter how talented he may have been....

Personally, I much prefer Terrell Owens:

8850d46b00a5070c95428a2630135311.gif.76f906b2d0a0cd982d83f4ad20a8ec40.gif

Edited by RupertKBD