US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure I'll go there.

You told me why you think Trump is a threat to democracy, but yet ignored the point about the debate again 🤦🤣🤣🤣🤣

Jan 6.. Sure Trump didn't do what was needed to stop it and it was a major mishandled situation by him. Cannot defend it. You want to twist that into the extreme threat to democracy narrative, thats your perogative I suppose. Not in the slightest defending his actions during that time, but there's no denying the extreme stretching of truth going on by the left to try and incriminate him.

I would say wrongfully censoring information from the public by wrongfully fact checking a politician on the national stage is a true threat to democracy. Literally blatantly lying to our faces.. Yet here you are still turning a blind eye to it and continuing to push only the bad Trump stuff instead of acknowledging the facts being given

When are we going to go "there"? 🤣

5 minutes ago, Gator said:

Again, ignoring the point of the entire thing trying to bring the topic of discussion down to the specifics of the abortion things

How about discussing the criminal activity by the ABC moderators lying to the public with wrongful fact checks when Trump was raising an important factual point. There is a presidential debate on the national stage, and they lie to us and try to convince us that Trump is lying.

What is illegal about correcting Trump on the fabricated statement that immigrant Haitians were eating pets in Springfield?

Is that more or less criminal than Fox News fabricating stories about election fraud in 2020 that resulted in a $700 million dollar settlement with Dominion voting systems?

Is that not an attack on democracy?

A lot of your sources (mainly fox) have had a history of stowing hatred and division, giving one sided coverage for the Republican party and literally dividing families up with the whole tribalism of the left vs right paradigm. That is a larger attack on democracy and it's institutions.

The sane washing of Trump and the extreme right has shown that they've learned their lessons from Watergate.

Let's make that the discussion. Let's break down fact check handed to Trump about the abortion topic.. Stop trying to steer the conversation away from the important fact being put on the table

Explain that to me, and then explain to me why I should view Trump is a threat to democracy, and not the other way around?

You won't go into this discussion though, because it's a lose lose for you. Because it's undisputable facts that you can't really tip toe around

I would say it was his authoritarian rhetoric, and his threat to be a dictator on day one and rewrite the 1st amendment is a starter. If I said Kamala Harris said that, I've no doubt you'd be calling for her rightful dismissal. So why not Trump? Why is your standard so much different when applied to the Democrats? (Who are actually centre-right, your overton window is very right from what I'm seeing so far)

There's Project 2025, a 900 page Conservative document that highlights the theocratic authoritarian regime he'll enact, the whole 'dictator from day 1' blurb and his restrictions of the 1st amendment on flag burning. (whether you agree with that or not, it is an attack on the 1st amendment)

Is that not a threat to democracy?

I'd also say all the dictator from day one merch floating around is pretty transparent. Again, why aren't you believing what Trump is telling you. What has made him earn that benefit of the doubt from you considering the material harm he's done to America? I don't think I've seen an American president during my lifetime kill more Americans or weaken more democratic and government institutions that are meant to keep the country safe..

corinne_perkins on X: "A supporter wearing a Dictator on day one shirt  salutes as he attends Republican presidential nominee and former U.S.  President Donald Trump's campaign rally in Charlotte, North Carolina. Photo

Still good to go into policy discussions, re: foreign policy, Trump has shown that he is easily baited and cajoled by the dictators around the world, just like how Kamala baited him in the debate and threw him off script with the crowd size comment. Why are you preferring Trump's erratic and dangerous instable policies on the world stage?

• Vintage 1

Just now, Gator said:

You told me why you think Trump is a threat to democracy, but yet ignored the point about the debate again 🤦🤣🤣🤣🤣

I didn't ignore anything, I said he should do one on a friendly network to balance things out. 

Just now, Gator said:

Jan 6.. Sure Trump didn't do what was needed to stop it and it was a major mishandled situation by him. Cannot defend it. You want to twist that into the extreme threat to democracy narrative, thats your perogative I suppose. Not in the slightest defending his actions during that time, but there's no denying the extreme stretching of truth going on by the left to try and incriminate him.

I didn't twist anything. I said it depends on how one views Jan 6. 

The courts have been treating him quite fairly actually. 

Just now, Gator said:

I would say wrongfully censoring information from the public by wrongfully fact checking a politician on the national stage is a true threat to democracy. Literally blatantly lying to our faces.. Yet here you are still turning a blind eye to it and continuing to push only the bad Trump stuff instead of acknowledging the facts being given

When are we going to go "there"? 🤣

we're "there". The best way to handle this is go do one on Fox. 

Yall are censoring shit so bad with the "fact checks" Elon spent $44 billion to save our freedom of speech. Now everyone hates Elon musk too.. Shocker 😅

And it's obvious these fact checks are left wing biased checks, and is it a "fact check" or "censorship".. because all they did to Trump was censor him. Even when speaking facts they lied to us and made us believe he was lying.

I mean it's not even disputable

36 minutes ago, Gator said:

And I just want to point out that regardless if you agree with the guys take on late term abortion or not, it doesn't change the fact Trump was wrongfully fact checked when he bring up the late term abortion. I don't want that fact to go overlooked. Being the only one fact checked is one kind of bias.. But being wrongfully fact checked on the national stage is borderline criminal in my eyes, and very misleading to the people

What, exactly, was the lie? Trump made his claim about late-term (or post-term) abortions, and he was checked with the statement that there is no state where it is legal to kill a baby after birth. No more, no less.

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

What is illegal about correcting Trump on the fabricated statement that immigrant Haitians were eating pets in Springfield?

He said dogs and cats instead of geese (to his credit a woman did eat a cat but she wasn't an immigrant)

Sure he wasn't entirely correct, but he wasn't wrong to bring it up

BUT YET AGAIN.. You steer away from the undisputable fact checking of abortion topic and desperately grasp at something else to change topic.

Was it not criminal and borderline a threat to democracy to call Trump a liar on national television when he brung up the abortion topic?

Unless you answer me that I'm not entertaining another word from you. It'll be a waste of your time to write it. So answer this or don't waste your energy

21 minutes ago, Gator said:

Again, ignoring the point of the entire thing trying to bring the topic of discussion down to the specifics of the abortion things

How about discussing the criminal activity by the ABC moderators lying to the public with wrongful fact checks when Trump was raising an important factual point. There is a presidential debate on the national stage, and they lie to us and try to convince us that Trump is lying.

Let's make that the discussion. Let's break down fact check handed to Trump about the abortion topic.. Stop trying to steer the conversation away from the important fact being put on the table

Explain that to me, and then explain to me why I should view Trump is a threat to democracy, and not the other way around?

You won't go into this discussion though, because it's a lose lose for you. Because it's undisputable facts that you can't really tip toe around

What 'actual factual point' are you referring to?   Are you still convinced that Democrats want 'abortions occur after birth' and babies to be 'executed'?   

23 minutes ago, Gator said:

Why would they make wrongful fact checks on live, international broadcasts.  Facts are facts and if ABC was lying in their fact checking, you'd have news organizations all over the world saying so 

Aside from MAGA, is anyone saying that?

1 minute ago, Gator said:

Yall are censoring shit so bad with the "fact checks" Elon spent $44 billion to save our freedom of speech. Now everyone hates Elon musk too.. Shocker 😅

And it's obvious these fact checks are left wing biased checks, and is it a "fact check" or "censorship".. because all they did to Trump was censor him. Even when speaking facts they lied to us and made us believe he was lying.

And by saving Freedom of speech, you mean banning/suppressing anyone on the left and promoting alt-right, far right accounts and misinformation. Not to mention the bots.

$44 billion funded by Russian Oligarch money. By the way.

They are censoring Trump, just not in the way you are thinking. The Media is hiding a lot of his cognitive decline and his gaffes to keep this a close race. The profit motive is strong.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why would they make wrongful fact checks on live, international broadcasts.  Facts are facts and if ABC was lying in their fact checking, you'd have news organizations all over the world saying so 

Aside from MAGA, is anyone saying that?

season 1 friends GIF

And Trump didnt call your reporter a "nasty person". I mean he probably did, but if I ignore the proof you give me it didn't happen and therefore I'm right.

Am I getting this left wing thing down pat?

Just now, Gator said:

So ignore the criminal activity and threat to democracy

not at all. I don't know what recourse you expect tho? who would be bringing charges to ABC? what do you expect the average person to do?

The easiest and fairest thing is for Trump to get on a friendly network to at least balance out the playing field. Why is that a probelm? Heck Fox can have a field day fact checking Harris.

Just now, Gator said:

Sure bud.. Yea I can totally take you serious 😅

I think I've been quite respectful to you, not sure what this is all about. 

39 minutes ago, Gator said:

Honestly it's more the left lost my trust, than it is Trump gained it.. The extreme truth stretching, blatant lies, censorship... All of it.. The left is gone bat shit crazy and I know I'm not the only one that sees it

After seeing your first entrance in to the Canadian politics thread.

Sure.

Ok.

Sure.

You were always impartial and more of a centrist and this is all kind of new for you.

• ThereItIs 1

47 minutes ago, Gator said:

I completely agree with everything there..  

The issue with allowing late term/post birth abortions is the doors it opens up for future modifications of said law. Not trying to go off topic but look no further than the MAID system for obvious reasons to push back on the idea. Sure MAID is great under the context of being for people terminally ill/in chronic pain that has no hope to get better.. Just just a few years later you see them trying to open that door a little more by now bringing up the discussion to allow the use of MAID for the mentally ill.. And boy it's scary to think of the road we could be heading with that

To me its just opening the door enough for a sick individual to come in and make some radical changes that'll be a lot hard to push back against because that door is already opened. 

And I just want to point out that regardless if you agree with the guys take on late term abortion or not, it doesn't change the fact Trump was wrongfully fact checked when he bring up the late term abortion. I don't want that fact to go overlooked. Being the only one fact checked is one kind of bias.. But being wrongfully fact checked on the national stage is borderline criminal in my eyes, and very misleading to the people

Hi Gator

I am not saying it should be ruled out. There is always those special cases. Exceptions.............

I side on the fact that doctors and nurses know what they are doing, and government are just car salesmen, and should keep their nose out of this one. To a point.....sure make it difficult, add more permissions, but don't rule it out.....we simply do not know what may come up.

Every thing should be figured out by the 3rd Trimester.......but, one never knows

I also think you govern for the masses......................politicians as a whole have trouble with that

season 1 friends GIF

And Trump didnt call your reporter a "nasty person". I mean he probably did, but if I ignore the proof you give me it didn't happen and therefore I'm right.

Am I getting this left wing thing down pat?

No, but you sure have the uninformed right wing thing down.

31 minutes ago, Gator said:

Whoa whoa whoa

Ok hold up.

Trump lies.  Out if his ass.  Endlessly.  Repeatedly.  During the debate he was fact checked on the spot.  He kept lying.

But it's somehow criminal in your eyes that ABC fact checked him because in your opinion they were wrong and that somehow subverts democracy?

But we're totally going to ignore trumps lying.  His roll in Jan 6th.  His roll in demanding states find votes for him or disallow votes for the Dems.  His telling people to not let others vote.  Or even his statements about vote me for me this time and you'll never have to vote again and his comments about wanting complete and total power.

Is everything ok with you?

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Gator said:

Elon spent money to save OUR freedom of speech?

Umm....what country do you think you're in again?

What exact does a private platform that under Elon silences people who disagree with him is free speech or protection of?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

After seeing your first entrance in to the Canadian politics thread.

Sure.

Ok.

Sure.

You were always impartial and more of a centrist and this is all kind of new for you.

I call shit as I see it and don't tip toe around it. If I'm not informed on something I have no problem stating as much. I don't follow Canadian politics, but I know enough to know Trudeau is a joke lol.

I don't tip toe around facts, and spread lies that I know are lies to push an agenda. 

Like I said it scares me to see you smart people so close minded. I've never hid that fact that on an "educated level" I'm fighting up hill. But you can be educated and stupid. Which has been very apparent in this discussion with the complete disregard of presented facts.

Idc how smart your words sound. Proof is proof, and if you willingly ignore it and continue to push the false narrative it says a lot about your character. There's a lot of very smart dumb people out there, and politics is where those people really shine.

Very smart right wing people like yourselves too my friend

6 minutes ago, Gator said:

He said dogs and cats instead of geese (to his credit a woman did eat a cat but she wasn't an immigrant)

Post the link. Like the actual proof of this happening.

Sure he wasn't entirely correct, but he wasn't wrong to bring it up

BUT YET AGAIN.. You steer away from the undisputable fact checking of abortion topic and desperately grasp at something else to change topic.

Yet again? I never talked Abortion with you. And change the topic? We started talking about Foreign policy and how Putin gained more from Trump than Biden, which I've shown the receipts. Then you've just jumped to posting all the Fox nonsense.

Was it not criminal and borderline a threat to democracy to call Trump a liar on national television when he brung up the abortion topic?

Unless you answer me that I'm not entertaining another word from you. It'll be a waste of your time to write it. So answer this or don't waste your energy

It's not criminal to fact check someone on a national debate that both parties agreed to, as they would have been given the terms of the debate beforehand. That is what adults do, they don't whine and complain to terms they agree to.

Fact checking and asking questions of leaders is a healthy sign of a democracy. Calling Trump a liar when he lies on television is healthy for democracy. 

Trump mentioned Democrats supporting abortions 'after birth', hell yes it is healthy and completely legal to call him out on this. That is the purpose of public media, to inform.

Now why is it acceptable to you for a presidential candidate to say that on national television? Is that not an embarrassment? Is that not a sign your candidate needs to step down considering Biden went through the same humiliation? Where are your standards?

Just now, Gator said:

I call shit as I see it and don't tip toe around it. If I'm not informed on something I have no problem stating as much. I don't follow Canadian politics, but I know enough to know Trudeau is a joke lol.

I don't tip toe around facts, and spread lies that I know are lies to push an agenda. 

Like I said it scares me to see you smart people so close minded. I've never hid that fact that on an "educated level" I'm fighting up hill. But you can be educated and stupid. Which has been very apparent in this discussion with the complete disregard of presented facts.

Idc how smart your words sound. Proof is proof, and if you willingly ignore it and continue to push the false narrative it says a lot about your character. There's a lot of very smart dumb people out there, and politics is where those people really shine.

Very smart right wing people like yourselves too my friend

Just give us these facts then.  I have asked and asked for them but am given only opinions.   Most smart people are open to facts but can be wary of treating opinions as fact.

Again?

Naw bro go read/watch. God damn

I'm tired bro...

It is tiring to be in the right wing echo chamber, their clicks depend on keeping you enraged and outraged all the time at the slightest perceived slight against the unquestionable leader 😉 

On a side note, hope your football team's doing alright. My Ravens have been a disappointment so far.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

It's not criminal to fact check someone on a national debate that both parties agreed to

So mainstream media lying to the people by wrongfully fact checking a presidential candidate isn't criminal in your eyes?

Fact checking with lies on a presidential debate is a very serious thing. You guys ignoring that fact is a threat to democracy.  People deserve the truth regardless of what side of the fence you're on