US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dotard isn't making up any ground though.  He's the one in behind.  Though it's true, Harris has to gain more momentum (unless CouchSexMan does more mainstream interviews) as the GOP looks presently to my knowledge to be retaking the Senate.  Dems though look to be retaking Congress.

Dotard did make up around. Harris at her peak was leading at 3.8%, today is is like 2.6% whith Harris support not dipping since her peak. That means Trumo has made up ground mostly due to RFK Jr. dropping out. 

Other than that bump, Trump has mostly stalled as well but the margin right now is probably enough for Trump to win the EC. 

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Polls are a psuedo science at this point but I can agree that it's still a toss up in a lot of key battleground states.  

This sinwhy it si concerning. After everything that happened these past week, the fact that Harris didn't open up a lead is a giant red flag. 

Penn is particular concern as underlying data such as voter registration and ballot request leans heavily GOP at this time. 

Edited by 24K

1 minute ago, 24K said:

This sinwhy it si concerning. After everything that happened these past week, the fact that Harris didn't open up a lead is a giant red flag. 

Penn is particular concern as underlying data such as voter registration and ballot request leans heavily GOP at this time. 

I would wait for voter registration data that does not take into account the 'assassination' bump. Particularly I'm interested in the data that encompasses the post DNC and 2nd Debate / Tay Tay endorsement.

3 minutes ago, 24K said:

Dotard did make up around. Harris at her peak was leading at 3.8%, today is is like 2.6% whith Harris support not dipping since her peak. That means Trumo has made up ground mostly due to RFK Jr. dropping out. 

Other than that bump, Trump has mostly stalled as well but the margin right now is probably enough for Trump to win the EC. 

Dems have a large war chest that'll come into play in the battground states imho.  Fewer pathways to victory for HerrSh*tsHisPants.  Doubt he has the stamina to campaign that hard until election day and his VP choice isn't helping him.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I would wait for voter registration data that does not take into account the 'assassination' bump. Particularly I'm interested in the data that encompasses the post DNC and 2nd Debate / Tay Tay endorsement.

They have data since July to now and GOP outrage Dem. Tay Tay and post debate effect probably isn't in yet but dnc looks to have dine nothing which ain't surprising given Harris status quo speech.

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

NV is leaning increasingly blue and if that holds, Harris still has viable pathways to win even without PA.  Dotard doesn't have that same flexibility (well, not with that huge spare tire around his waist).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dems have a large war chest that'll come into play in the battground states imho.  Fewer pathways to victory for HerrSh*tsHisPants.  Doubt he has the stamina to campaign that hard until election day and his VP choice isn't helping him.

Well large warchest ain't gonna make a difference if she has nothing to promote. They can go all in with anti Trump messaging but at this point, no one is changing their minds on Trump no matter the messaging. 

Just now, 24K said:

Well large warchest ain't gonna make a difference if she has nothing to promote. They can go all in with anti Trump messaging but at this point, no one is changing their minds on Trump no matter the messaging. 

I think at this point the battlelines are mostly set, I doubt there has much undecideds at this point on both sides of the aisle. it's just a matter of motivating people to vote now

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

NV is leaning increasingly blue and if that holds, Harris still has viable pathways to win even without PA.

Woth NV and without Penn, she needs to hold Michigan and win one of Georgia or NC. 

Good news is NC is trending her way per the polls but Trump always over perform the margin so not really should not mark that down. 

Michigan, really would help if she conditioned arms transfer to Israel right about now. 

US Secret Service says it is aware of Musk post about Biden, Harris

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Secret Service said on Monday it was aware of a post by billionaire Elon Musk's on the X social media platform musing about a lack of assassination attempts on President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris.

Musk, who owns the platform, formerly known as Twitter, put up the post after a man suspected of planning to assassinate former President Donald Trump at his golf course in West Palm Beach was arrested on Sunday.

A Trump supporter and the CEO of Tesla, Musk wrote on Sunday: "And no one is even trying to assassinate Biden/Kamala," a post he ended with an emoji of a face with a raised eyebrow.

He was quickly criticized by X users from the left and right, who said they were concerned his words to his nearly 200 million X followers could incite violence against Biden and Harris.

Musk deleted the post but not before the Secret Service, tasked with protecting current and former presidents, vice presidents and other notable officials, took notice.

"The Secret Service is aware of the social media post made by Elon Musk and as a matter of practice, we do not comment on matters involving protective intelligence," a spokesperson told Reuters in an email. "We can say, however, that the Secret Service investigates all threats related to our protectees."

The spokesperson declined to specify whether the agency had reached out to Musk, who seemed to suggest in follow-up posts that he had been making a joke.

"Well, one lesson I've learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn't mean it's going to be all that hilarious as a post on X," he wrote. "Turns out that jokes are WAY less funny if people don't know the context and the delivery is plain text."

Harris, a Democrat running against the Republican Trump in the 2024 election, and Biden both issued statements on Sunday night expressing relief that Trump had not been harmed.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think at this point the battlelines are mostly set, I doubt there has much undecideds at this point on both sides of the aisle. it's just a matter of motivating people to vote now

I can agree. Harris blew her chance to change the dynamics with her status quo speech at the dnc. 

If she lose, it will be due to her running scared from making bold policies that would change from current Biden policies that voters hate. 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I think some minds were changed by the debate and some will just never change no matter what.  I have wondered recently if some women may make their secret vote in a way that their husbands/partners had not expected them to.

But yes, things are closer than I'd like them to be at this point.

54 minutes ago, 24K said:

The fact we are not seeing Harris opening up a lead especially in battle ground states after everything that has happened is having me worried. 

It looks like Teflon Don strikes again and nothing, literally nothing is sticking to him. 

This goes back to my thesis that Harris is running a really bad campaign. 

She has nothing that excited voters other than she is not Donald Trump. That increasingly look like it is not enough for the decisive swing voters.

a lot of people just vote for policy and don't realy care who the talking heads are. 

Her campaign isn't bad, she just needs to get some policy out there to swing more voters. She has time. 

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I think some minds were changed by the debate and some will just never change no matter what.  I have wondered recently if some women may make their secret vote in a way that their husbands/partners had not expected them to.

Fact that GOP mail in ballot request out strip Dem in Penn today dies not bold well as women can't hide from their husband if they are voting by mail. 

Just now, 24K said:

Fact that GOP mail in ballot request out strip Dem in Penn today dies not bold well as women can't hide from their husband if they are voting by mail. 

I see your point but can we really underestimate the power of women to fool their men?  😉

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

On the plus side, things being close lessens the chances of complacency (that Hillary's campaign fatal mistake made).  Easier to get the vote out as there isn't the 'why vote if the end result is already decided?".   Just my own speculation of course 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

a lot of people just vote for policy and don't realy care who the talking heads are. 

Her campaign isn't bad, she just needs to get some policy out there to swing more voters. She has time

Problem is she has not done that. Most of her policies really doe not benefit the average voter. Only thing that does is anti price gouging and she is running away from that policy after the price control narrative came out.

That policy is polling at like 89% and she just run away from it. She is running a camapign that is scared of criticisms and that is a bad campaign strategy. Defend your popular policies, don't run away from it the moment friction hit. 

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

Problem is she has not done that. Most of her policies really doe not benefit the average voter. Only thing that does is anti price gouging and she is running away from that policy after the price control narrative came out.

That policy is polling at like 89% and she just run away from it. She is running a camapign that is scared of criticisms and that is a bad campaign strategy. Defend your popular policies, don't run away from it the moment friction hit. 

I think they have done a good job, they've had to deal with some ridiculus hurdles in a very short time - dealing with removing Joe and that fallout, getting supporters and money behind her, getting through the debate - all of which could have crushed her chances. I'm actually kind of amazed how well the dem's have handled this. 

So now she has a month and a half to get good policy ideas out, which in this election cycle is a lifetime. I think we'll see a lot more soon.

1 hour ago, Gator said:

Fact is people can't afford to live because of Trudeau. 

Seeing how straight your facts are on the US side I'm sure they have you just as brainwashed on the Canadian side lol.. Trudeau is gone though. He doesn't have a prayer at winning this election. Even his die hards around here hate him about as much as you hate Trump. And that's really not even an exaggeration in the slightest.

"Fuck Trudeau" flags ALL over the island. I guess a few hardcore Trudeau supporters are desperately hanging on to hope. Dude doesn't even know how to answer a question. He's better at question dodging than any politician I seen before him.. And politicians are pretty damn good at that.. He's the GOAT in that department though. I mean has he ever actually answered a question?

Every time I dare to watch them sit down and holler at eachother (what a clown show that is), I never once hear Trudeau directly answer a question he's asked. Always dancing around the direct questions with rambling about other things.. Listening to him talk is like trying to listen you disregard the obvious political bias against Trump. Best way I can explain it 😅

Kamala might pull it off. I sure hope not.. But I'd be shocked if we are dumb enough to re-elect the clown we have leading what was once a great country to live in.. I'd be gone to the US so fast if it wasn't for having family here.

Which part of "Take it to the Canadian politics thread" did you not understand?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think they have done a good job, they've had to deal with some ridiculus hurdles in a very short time - dealing with removing Joe and that fallout, getting supporters and money behind her, getting through the debate - all of which could have crushed her chances. I'm actually kind of amazed how well the dem's have handled this. 

So now she has a month and a half to get good policy ideas out, which in this election cycle is a lifetime. I think we'll see a lot more soon.

Well she better hurry cause ballots are going out now and early voting is gonna start in a few weeks. 

Hey @Gator The stuff below is from a Russian document describing their campaign to affect the US election.   Notice anything that you might have seen on you favourite videos?   (B = Democrats; A = Republicans)

A slide shows the main themes Russia wanted to push in its US campaign, and the main target audiences. US Political Party B is the Democrats, and Candidate B is Joe Biden. Candidate A is Donald Trump.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/russia-disinformation-tenet-putin-1.7319469

Edited by Satchmo
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

There's also definitely the quiet MAGA crowd who will not advertise their views publicly and their favorite term is "both parties/sides". I wouldn't discount that either.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, 24K said:

Trump will never drop below 47% nationally, not in polling anyway.  I'm not convinced he's actually got that many supporters in reality.