US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Republican Governor DeWine of Ohio debunking the Pet claims

The lady who made the facebook post that prompted this whole nonsense is regretting her post, deleted it, she never meant it to infer Haitians eating her pets.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/-just-exploded-springfield-woman-says-never-meant-spark-rumors-haitian-rcna171099

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio — The woman behind an early Facebook post spreading a harmful and baseless claim about Haitian immigrants eating local pets that helped thrust a small Ohio city into the national spotlight says she had no firsthand knowledge of any such incident and is now filled with regret and fear as a result of the ensuing fallout.

“It just exploded into something I didn’t mean to happen,” Erika Lee, a Springfield resident, told NBC News on Friday.

Lee recently posted on Facebook about a neighbor’s cat that went missing, adding that the neighbor told Lee she thought the cat was the victim of an attack by her Haitian neighbors.

Newsguard, a media watchdog that monitors for misinformation online, found that Lee had been among the first people to publish a post to social media about the rumor, screenshots of which circulated online. The neighbor, Kimberly Newton, said she heard about the attack from a third party, NewsGuard reported

Newton told Newsguard that Lee’s Facebook post misstated her story, and that the owner of the missing cat was “an acquaintance of a friend” rather than her daughter’s friend. Newton could not be reached for comment.

Lee said she had no idea the post would become part of a rumor mill that would spiral into the national consciousness. She has since deleted the Facebook post. 

Other posts have also contributed to the false allegations, including a photo of a man holding a dead goose that was taken in Columbus, Ohio, but was spread by some online as evidence of the claims about Springfield. Graphic video of a woman who allegedly killed and tried to eat a cat was also found not to have originated in Springfield but in Canton, Ohio, and does not have any connection to the Haitian community.

Local police and city officials have repeatedly said there is no evidence of such crimes in Springfield, but that hasn’t stopped the lies from spreading across the country and igniting a national frenzy that landed on the presidential debate stage this week. Former President Donald Trump and his running mate Ohio Sen. JD Vance, who was born less than an hour away from Springfield, have repeated the baseless allegations.

Lee said she never imagined her post would become fodder for conspiracy theories and hate.

“I’m not a racist,” she said through heavy emotion, adding that her daughter is half Black and she herself is mixed race and a member of the LGBTQ community. “Everybody seems to be turning it into that, and that was not my intent.”

The anti-immigrant fervor in Springfield led to school and municipal building closures on Thursday and Friday after city officials received bomb threats. 

Lee said she pulled her daughter out of school and is now worried about her safety with so much attention on her family. She is also concerned for the safety of the Haitian community, which she said she did not intend to villainize en masse. 

“I feel for the Haitian community,” she said. “If I was in the Haitians’ position, I’d be terrified, too, worried that somebody’s going to come after me because they think I’m hurting something that they love and that, again, that’s not what I was trying to do.”

Immigrant advocacy groups have said these kinds of claims can be dangerous.

“The Haitian-American community in Springfield, OH and around the country is feeling targeted and unsafe because dehumanizing, debunked and racist conspiracies are being advanced at the highest levels of American politics and are still being repeated,” Vanessa Cárdenas, executive director of America's Voice, a nonprofit that advocates for immigration reform said in an email. “The false claim that Black immigrants are violently attacking American families by stealing and eating their pets is a powerful and old racist trope that puts a target on people’s backs, and it is turbo-charged in the era of MAGA when political violence has become commonplace and we have already witnessed violent incidents incited by such rhetoric.”

Lee said that there are very real problems related to Springfield's population boom that caught the struggling city off guard. Springfield was not prepared to address the housing, health care and other service needs that came with the sudden increase of new residents over the last five years when Haitians arrived, many of them with protected status under federal law. 

Still, she never imagined that her Facebook post would set off a national news cycle.

“I didn’t think it would ever get past Springfield," she said.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

If you're even slightly open minded to the idea you could be very wrong about Trump, you should really take the time to watch this.. This guy doesn't glamor over Trump like that girl did, and provides much better facts to back up this false rhetoric you guys push against Trump. It's actually pretty sick...

Just some context when you watch this video, the content creator is famous for being Anti-BLM, Trans, and is a regular contributor on PragerU. Basically embroiled in the culture war grift within the same circles as Candace Owens, Brett Cooper and Jordan Peterson. So not a center viewpoint.

8 hours ago, Master Mind said:

I actually didn't check this thread around the assassination attempt as I figured it would be a cesspool. Kudos to you if that was your stance.

I wasn't supporting Trump in my initial response to you -- my issue was with left wing extremism being considered a myth. Your reply here is more nuanced and acknowledges that.

Sorry to repeat myself from to my response to Warhippy, but I think it applies. Can argue one is worse than the other, and that's the purpose in voting, but neither side is completely innocent.

You weren't incorrect in your assumption. It was a mess.

I think at this point with the quantity in the data of domestic terrorist threats/attacks there isn't much of an argument which is worse than the other right now, there is a lopsided amount of violent rhetoric on the far right that is being ignored, or just brushed aside. 

The normalization of Trump calling his political opponents and immigrants animals and vermin that need to be rooted out is just unacceptable. To Conservatives and Liberals. I think it's a hell of a statement that former Reagan Staffers and Dick Cheney of all people are siding against their party on this.

Edited by DSVII

Trump and Vance did this, and they are completely unrepentant about the disruption they have caused.

Springfield Cancels CultureFest, Citing Safety Concerns Due to Threats

Springfield city officials announced the cancellation of an annual celebration of diversity, arts and culture due to safety concerns, after numerous threats were received by city, county and school facilities. Those threats came after Springfield landed in the national spotlight over its Haitian immigration tensions, especially in the wake of baseless claims agains immigrants going viral on social media and being shared by top Republican politicians including former President Donald Trump and U.S. Sen. and vice presidential candidate JD Vance.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It is indeed legal in 9 states to have an abortion in the 9th month and throughout the entirety of the pregnancy.  One of those states is Minnesota, where Tim Walz is the Governor.  Isn't that what Trump said, that Walz passed a law to allow this?  

Yes, Some States Allow Abortions Through All Nine Months of Pregnancy (yahoo.com)

According to research by the Guttmacher Institute, a think tank focused on advancing reproductive rights, and KFF, a health policy nonprofit, as of 2024, nine states—plus the District of Columbia—currently place no gestational limits on abortion: Alaska, Colorado, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, and Vermont.

Some of the states with no gestational limits on abortion passed statutory or constitutional protections for the procedure in the lead-up to the Supreme Court’s 2022 ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which overturned the constitutional right to an abortion established in Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, for example, signed legislation in early 2022 protecting abortion access in anticipation of the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs. The law included no gestational limits on abortion in the state.

Other states, like Minnesota and Michigan, passed measures protecting access to abortion after Roe was overturned. In January 2023, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz signed a bill that imposed no restrictions or gestational limits on abortion, and in November 2022, Michigan voters approved a constitutional amendment establishing an individual right to make decisions about abortion. Michigan’s amendment allows the state to regulate abortion once a fetus has reached a point of viability—typically between 24 and 26 weeks of pregnancy—with exceptions to protect the life, physical health, or mental health of the mother. However, the state has not acted on its right to regulate post-viability abortions, and abortions are currently permitted at any point in pregnancy.

State Bans on Abortion Throughout Pregnancy | Guttmacher Institute

Highlights

41 STATES HAVE ABORTION BANS IN EFFECT WITH ONLY LIMITED EXCEPTIONS.

14 states have a total abortion ban.

27 states have abortion bans based on gestational duration.

8 states ban abortion at or before 18 weeks’ gestation.

19 states ban abortion at some point after 18 weeks.

9 STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DO NOT RESTRICT ABORTION BASED ON GESTATIONAL DURATION.

A state-by-state breakdown of abortion laws 2 years after Roe was overturned - ABC News (go.com)

At least nine states have no restrictions based on how far along a woman is in her pregnancy and many have recently added amendments enshrining the right to abortion in their state constitutions.

Minnesota

Minnesota does not prohibit abortion based on how far along a woman is in pregnancy.

We have this correct in Canada, a personal medical decision is no one else's business.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It is indeed legal in 9 states to have an abortion in the 9th month and throughout the entirety of the pregnancy.  One of those states is Minnesota, where Tim Walz is the Governor.  Isn't that what Trump said, that Walz passed a law to allow this?  

Yes, Some States Allow Abortions Through All Nine Months of Pregnancy (yahoo.com)

According to research by the Guttmacher Institute, a think tank focused on advancing reproductive rights, and KFF, a health policy nonprofit, as of 2024, nine states—plus the District of Columbia—currently place no gestational limits on abortion: Alaska, Colorado, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, and Vermont.

Some of the states with no gestational limits on abortion passed statutory or constitutional protections for the procedure in the lead-up to the Supreme Court’s 2022 ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which overturned the constitutional right to an abortion established in Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey. New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, for example, signed legislation in early 2022 protecting abortion access in anticipation of the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs. The law included no gestational limits on abortion in the state.

Other states, like Minnesota and Michigan, passed measures protecting access to abortion after Roe was overturned. In January 2023, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz signed a bill that imposed no restrictions or gestational limits on abortion, and in November 2022, Michigan voters approved a constitutional amendment establishing an individual right to make decisions about abortion. Michigan’s amendment allows the state to regulate abortion once a fetus has reached a point of viability—typically between 24 and 26 weeks of pregnancy—with exceptions to protect the life, physical health, or mental health of the mother. However, the state has not acted on its right to regulate post-viability abortions, and abortions are currently permitted at any point in pregnancy.

State Bans on Abortion Throughout Pregnancy | Guttmacher Institute

Highlights

41 STATES HAVE ABORTION BANS IN EFFECT WITH ONLY LIMITED EXCEPTIONS.

14 states have a total abortion ban.

27 states have abortion bans based on gestational duration.

8 states ban abortion at or before 18 weeks’ gestation.

19 states ban abortion at some point after 18 weeks.

9 STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DO NOT RESTRICT ABORTION BASED ON GESTATIONAL DURATION.

A state-by-state breakdown of abortion laws 2 years after Roe was overturned - ABC News (go.com)

At least nine states have no restrictions based on how far along a woman is in her pregnancy and many have recently added amendments enshrining the right to abortion in their state constitutions.

Minnesota

Minnesota does not prohibit abortion based on how far along a woman is in pregnancy.

ok.  As of 2021 4 US states have no laws against beastiality.  In 3 it is ok to marry or have relations with your sister, mother, father, brother.  What point is it you are trying to make here?