US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I only just realized that you were talking "Trump".  I'm talking about Republicans as a whole.  Trump won't get anywhere with a 10% blanket tariff.  Both parties will stop it.

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump barely knows what a tariff is.  It won't go anywhere.  Neither party would allow it.

Also note that the US president can raise tariffs without support from Congress due to several laws that have been adopted over the years that have delegated trade policy powers from Congress to the White House.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Also note that the US president can raise tariffs without support from Congress due to several laws that have been adopted over the years that have delegated trade policy powers from Congress to the White House.

Of course he can, but Congress can immediately vote to lower tariffs.

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Your faith in Congress astounds me.

My faith isn't in Congress as a whole.  My faith is in their self-preservation.  If Trump pissed off Republicans enough, they could get enough votes to remove him.  They didn't want him as president again.  They're just tolerating him right now in the hopes that he can be influenced by them if he wins re-election.

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I gotta say, Sabre.....you just baffle me with your "I'm not worried about Trump, because someone will stop him" shtick.....:classic_rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want but the Republicans will only put up with him to a point.  If re-elected, he will be exposed to removal.  The Democrats want him gone and every single one of them would vote against him.  That would only leave the need for a handful of angry Republicans to join them.  Then we would have to deal with a President Vance.

Trump in a second term is in a weakened position.  He can't afford to anger even half of his own party.

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Haha 1

Roll your eyes all you want but the Republicans will only put up with him to a point.  If re-elected, he will be exposed to removal. The Democrats want him gone an d every single one of them would vote against him.  That would only leave the need for a handful of angry Republicans to join them.  Then we would have to deal with a President Vance.

Trump in a second term is in a weakened position.  He can't afford to anger even half of his own party.

This approach has worked well in the past.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My faith isn't in Congress as a whole.  My faith is in their self-preservation.  If Trump pissed off Republicans enough, they could get enough votes to remove him.  They didn't want him as president again.  They're just tolerating him right now in the hopes that he can be influenced by them if he wins re-election.

This is a fantasy. He literally commands an army of violent weirdos that they are all afraid of. Remember them showing up on Capital Hill with a functional gallows hunting for Mike Pence?

Case in point Lindsay Graham gets up in the Senate on Jan 6 and declares he's done with Trump blah blah blah. The next day he's accosted in a South Carolina airport by angry Trump supporters and immediately flips back into a Trump ass kisser. None of them have any spine and him eventually becoming a lame duck means nothing. He owns that party lock stock and barrel. The only way they wrest it back from him is if he's dead or in prison.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And yet you're not worried about a child molester being POTUS.

Because Trump was buddies with Epstein until he screwed him over for millions of dollars on a real estate deal.  You don't screw someone over and become his mortal enemy if he has proof that you diddled minors.  That's why Epstein had Bill Clinton under his thumb.  Which sucks for me because I still think Clinton is probably the best president in my lifetime.

Because Trump was buddies with Epstein until he screwed him over for millions of dollars on a real estate deal.  You don't screw someone over and become his mortal enemy if he has proof that you diddled minors.  That's why Epstein had Bill Clinton under his thumb.  Which sucks for me because I still think Clinton is probably the best president in my lifetime.

There's still the incidents in dressing rooms.  No reason to allow that Nazi back into the WH when there's an option who can safely be allowed near children.

Edited by King Heffy

Trump isn't loved by Republicans, he's tolerated.  Unless he becomes a useful fool, and not just a regular fool, he can be in danger of removal.

Might be true yet I don't think you are remembering how they circled their non-partisan wagons so many times last time.

In this particular case, I think I am talking about recent history while you are talking about hypotheticals.  We'll see what unfolds I suppose.   I hope it will all be moot and there will be no need to impeach a defeated Trump.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

By danger of removal are you referring to the 25th amendment?

Nope.  Flat out impeachment and removal.  It's always been political, that's why the Founding Fathers left it at "high crimes and misdemeanors" without actually espousing on that term.

Congress has the power to remove a president for any reason that they choose and the courts, including SCOTUS, can't reverse it.

Just now, King Heffy said:

There's still the incidents in dressing rooms.  No reason to allow that Nazi back into the WH when there's an option who can safely be allowed near children.

I fully believe he's raped women in the past, even though he's never been found guilty of it.  I just don't think he diddles minors.  With the possible exception of one of his relatives.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Nope.  Flat out impeachment and removal.  It's always been political, that's why the Founding Fathers left it at "high crimes and misdemeanors" without actually espousing on that term.

Congress has the power to remove a president for any reason that they choose and the courts, including SCOTUS, can't reverse it.

OK impeach him for what? Lying about the election results? Fomenting insurrection? Hitting up the Secretary of State of Georgia to 'find' him votes? Backing a plot for fake electors? Issuing mean tweets?

They've shown they are willing to tolerate all of that so what do they impeach him for?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

This is a fantasy. He literally commands an army of violent weirdos that they are all afraid of. Remember them showing up on Capital Hill with a functional gallows hunting for Mike Pence?

Case in point Lindsay Graham gets up in the Senate on Jan 6 and declares he's done with Trump blah blah blah. The next day he's accosted in a South Carolina airport by angry Trump supporters and immediately flips back into a Trump ass kisser. None of them have any spine and him eventually becoming a lame duck means nothing. He owns that party lock stock and barrel. The only way they wrest is back from him is if he's dead or in prison.

I don't think his cult members will influence a future removal through any worry of violence.

They now know the consequences on top of the realization that their leader will not pardon them.  It's funny how many were disillusioned by Trump disavowing them.  Even though his history is replete of him using useful fools and then throwing them away like trash.

My high level though on American civics is that the government is always tilted between the Jeffersonian (Decentralized power / governors) and Hamiltonian (Federalist and Centralizing / Executive power) philosophies. I feel we're seeing the foundation set for a hard swing towards the Federalist ideology to a degree I don't recall for a while. The SCOTUS for instance is firmly being activist on this one and overreaching past their mandate. A MAGA Congress and Senate I just don't trust to not interpret all the parts of the constitution in favor of the executive, as we just saw with the Immunity case on the SCOTUS part.

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

OK impeach him for what? Lying about the election results? Fomenting insurrection? Hitting up the Secretary of State of Georgia to 'find' him votes? Backing a plot for fake electors? Issuing mean tweets?

They've shown they are willing to tolerate all of that so what do they impeach him for?

They tolerated him for 2 months post-election knowing that removing him would only hurt their party.

They tried everything that they could to stop him from getting nominated this time around.

I don't think his cult members will influence a future removal through any worry of violence.

They now know the consequences on top of the realization that their leader will not pardon them.  It's funny how many were disillusioned by Trump disavowing them.  Even though his history is replete of him using useful fools and then throwing them away like trash.

History says you're wrong.

_116872484_crowd.jpg.webp.fb251e06f0cf50d29dd0ac6482569178.webp