US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Roll your eyes all you want but the Republicans will only put up with him to a point.  If re-elected, he will be exposed to removal.  The Democrats want him gone and every single one of them would vote against him.  That would only leave the need for a handful of angry Republicans to join them.  Then we would have to deal with a President Vance.

Trump in a second term is in a weakened position.  He can't afford to anger even half of his own party.

All of that may be true, but why on earth would you risk it, when there is an alternative, who while not perfect, is also not a danger? :classic_unsure:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

My high level though on American civics is that the government is always tilted between the Jeffersonian (Decentralized power / governors) and Hamiltonian (Federalist and Centralizing / Executive power) philosophies. I feel we're seeing the foundation set for a hard swing towards the Federalist ideology to a degree I don't recall for a while. The SCOTUS for instance is firmly being activist on this one and overreaching past their mandate. A MAGA Congress and Senate I just don't trust to not interpret all the parts of the constitution in favor of the executive, as we just saw with the Immunity case on the SCOTUS part.

You aren't totally wrong.  The SCOTUS will change the US far more than a 2nd Trump term will.

I'd like to explore this train of thought with you, but I'm falling behind on my replies and notifications.

Raincheck?

• Like 1

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

You aren't totally wrong.  The SCOTUS will change the US far more than a 2nd Trump term will.

I'd like to explore this train of thought with you, but I'm falling behind on my replies and notifications.

Raincheck?

For sure, the Federalist papers is still on my reading list so you're probably more knowledgeable than me on this front. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

How? By eagerly endorsing him the instant he declared his candidacy?

The Republicans endorsed DeDufus for the most part and after he fell, they endorsed Haley until she fell.  They only endorsed Trump once he was the last one standing.

Heck there are Republicans coming out saying that they won't vote for him even now. 

20 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Trump isn't loved by Republicans, he's tolerated.  Unless he becomes a useful fool, and not just a regular fool, he can be in danger of removal.

Change that to "feared" and you've got something.

They had the perfect opportunity to be rid of him (the 2nd Impeachment) and they chickened out, because they were afraid of his base.

Trump is in zero danger from Republicans, because they're all spineless cowards.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

For sure, the Federalist papers is still on my reading list so you're probably more knowledgeable than me on this front. 

When you do get a fair sense of them, either PM me or start a discussion here.  I would enjoy a deep dive on the history and possible future of the US government.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Change that to "feared" and you've got something.

They had the perfect opportunity to be rid of him (the 2nd Impeachment) and they chickened out, because they were afraid of his base.

Trump is in zero danger from Republicans, because they're all spineless cowards.

Sadly, I can't argue the spineless cowards point because I agree.

I don't think they all fear his base, just the deep red ones. 

If Trump were to damage their party, I think they could cobble enough together to remove him.

Remember that this is the party that the sad sack of crap named Paul Ryan, called "the family" when he was in office.

3 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The Republicans endorsed DeDufus for the most part and after he fell, they endorsed Haley until she fell.  They only endorsed Trump once he was the last one standing.

Heck there are Republicans coming out saying that they won't vote for him even now. 

Don't think so, most of them endorsed no one for fear of angering Trump and having him send his gang of violent weirdos their way. You do not honestly recall a plurality of Republican congress members endorsing someone other than Trump? I suspect your memory of events may be a tad faulty.

Proof for our amphibian friend that politicians CAN change their views and backtrack while pursuing higher office.

JD Vance got a former professor to delete a blog post Vance wrote in 2012 attacking GOP over anti-immigrant rhetoric

A week after President Barack Obama won reelection in November 2012, JD Vance, then a law student at Yale, wrote a scathing rebuke of the Republican Party’s stance on migrants and minorities, criticizing it for being “openly hostile to non-whites” and for alienating “Blacks, Latinos, [and] the youth.”

Four years later, as Vance considered a career in GOP politics, he asked a former college professor to delete the article. That professor, Brad Nelson, taught Vance at Ohio State University while Vance was an undergraduate student. After Vance graduated, Nelson asked him to contribute to a blog he ran for the non-partisan Center for World Conflict and Peace.

Nelson told CNN that during the 2016 Republican primary he agreed to delete the article at Vance’s request, so that Vance might have an easier time getting a job in Republican politics. However, the article, titled “A Blueprint for the GOP,” remains viewable on the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/17/politics/jd-vance-delete-2012-blog-post-attacking-gop-anti-immigrant-rhetoric/index.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Don't think so, most of them endorsed no one for fear of angering Trump and having him send his gang of violent weirdos their way. You do not honestly recall a plurality of Republican congress members endorsing someone other than Trump? I suspect your memory of events may be a tad faulty.

Possibly. 

What I remember is the party throwing it's weight behind DeDufus and then Haley.   Then after Trump beat those 2, he removed the people in the RNC that opposed him and installed his DIL and other sycophants.

Just now, Sabrefan1 said:

Possibly. 

What I remember is the party throwing it's weight behind DeDufus and then Haley.   Then after Trump beat those 2, he removed the people in the RNC that opposed him and installed his DIL and other sycophants.

Then after he beat them? He didn't even have to debate them he was practically anointed.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Proof for our amphibian friend that politicians CAN change their views and backtrack while pursuing higher office.

JD Vance got a former professor to delete a blog post Vance wrote in 2012 attacking GOP over anti-immigrant rhetoric

A week after President Barack Obama won reelection in November 2012, JD Vance, then a law student at Yale, wrote a scathing rebuke of the Republican Party’s stance on migrants and minorities, criticizing it for being “openly hostile to non-whites” and for alienating “Blacks, Latinos, [and] the youth.”

Four years later, as Vance considered a career in GOP politics, he asked a former college professor to delete the article. That professor, Brad Nelson, taught Vance at Ohio State University while Vance was an undergraduate student. After Vance graduated, Nelson asked him to contribute to a blog he ran for the non-partisan Center for World Conflict and Peace.

Nelson told CNN that during the 2016 Republican primary he agreed to delete the article at Vance’s request, so that Vance might have an easier time getting a job in Republican politics. However, the article, titled “A Blueprint for the GOP,” remains viewable on the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/17/politics/jd-vance-delete-2012-blog-post-attacking-gop-anti-immigrant-rhetoric/index.html

Great post, Satch....but the stickler in me really wants you to change that to "Reptilian friend" .....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Do the Gravy Seals strike you as introspective people? The reason they failed is they weren't heavily armed. They're smart enough to figure that one out.

I'm fairly empathetic, but I will not shed a tear if they are stupid enough to try again and suffer the consequences as a result.

The National Guard will mow them down if they come heavily armed.

Hopefully they are too cowardly to try something so self destructive.

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Great post, Satch....but the stickler in me really wants you to change that to "Reptilian friend" .....

I've used that one before but I really don't like to repeat myself (unless forced to by someone who does nothing but repeat themselves).  Thought amphibian would do this time. 😉

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm fairly empathetic, but I will not shed a tear if they are stupid enough to try again and suffer the consequences as a result.

The National Guard will mow them down if they come heavily armed.

Hopefully they are too cowardly to try something so self destructive.

If they're dumb enough to show up again (and we both know they are) just turn water cannons on them. See how dedicated they are in freezing weather being soaking wet/frozen.