US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yup, a few things lined up perfect for Dems and they jumped at it. And who knew Kamala would be such a popular candidate?

Maybe we are too paranoid, but when so many US military officials are sounding the alarm, we take notice.

https://x.com/PoliticusSarah/status/1836145624070205670

Yeah, too bad it won't move the needle.

Until Harris endorse a populist policy that actually lower Americans monthly expenses she will be locked in this tight race that can easily swing to Trump.

Military people coming out is like the bottom of the pyramid that would move the electorate. Billie Ellish endorsing Kamala will have more impact. 

Really surprised Harris did not come out with universal public school lunches especially with Walz as her running mate. That is a popular policy that has already been done during the pandemic. Lowered parents monthly expenses. Feed children in poverty and has marked benefit for child development and learning. 

What are the MAGA hat gonna do, argue against feeding children? 

No brainer move right there and Harris refuse to do it. This is why I am so frustrated with her camapign. 

The child benefit credit is good but this is way more sexy and attractive as a campaign message/policy. 

34 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yeah, too bad it won't move the needle.

Until Harris endorse a populist policy that actually lower Americans monthly expenses she will be locked in this tight race that can easily swing to Trump.

Military people coming out is like the bottom of the pyramid that would move the electorate. Billie Ellish endorsing Kamala will have more impact. 

Really surprised Harris did not come out with universal public school lunches especially with Walz as her running mate. That is a popular policy that has already been done during the pandemic. Lowered parents monthly expenses. Feed children in poverty and has marked benefit for child development and learning. 

What are the MAGA hat gonna do, argue against feeding children? 

No brainer move right there and Harris refuse to do it. This is why I am so frustrated with her camapign. 

The child benefit credit is good but this is way more sexy and attractive as a campaign message/policy. 

I'm sure they'll find something to complain about it.  Off the cuff....."Inner city (ie. black) parents will now just use the savings covered for them and go out and buy more drugs!" "Make them even more lazy while Democrats instill a dependence on big government to solve all ones problems!"

You may be right.  But I dunno, I think the small business tax credit. and the new home buyers credit. And the $6000 for new parents, is already quite appealing.  There's a danger in promising so much you get criticized for offering more than the country can afford all at once.  And if she doesn't deliver all, she will pay a price for that in 2026.

Could still happen.  I predict an October surprise of new policy goodies from her campaign.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, kilgore said:

You may be right.  But I dunno, I think the small business tax credit. and the new home buyers credit. And the $6000 for new parents, is already quite appealing.  There's a danger in promising so much you get criticized for offering more than the country can afford all at once.  And if she doesn't deliver all, she will pay a price for that in 2026.

Well as I said US already did universal school meal program during covid. It is already a proven concept. Several state does it already but from their own budgets. Hence Walz. 

The issue with the small business and new home buyer credit is that it only affect a sliver of the electorate. 

How does small business credit gonna benefit your average worker? If they don't have the capital, they ain't suddenly gonna have the money to start a business with a tax credit. You can probably sell it as job creation which boggles my mind why she isn't framing it as such. 

Home buyer credit, great for millennial and genz but really doesn't amount to much as it is a drop in the bucket with home cost today and is inherently inflationary to the housing market making it less effective. 

New born benefit. Great new parents can use that $6000 if not for anything else to pay for their own parental leave. What happens for the other 17 and half years? This is just another bandaid rather than structural change. Heck universal parental leave is probably a better policy tbh not to mention universal childcare though that is admitily a way tougher ask.

The issue I have is all her proposals are bandaid that only affect a sliver of the population. That ain't gonna be some needle mover and I suspect that is why you constantly hear voter complain she doesn't have many policies cause most of it doesn't affect them so they are still waiting for something that will. 

Edited by 24K
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gator said:

Pretty neat site. They post both left wing/right wing articles and show you the bias each article has

https://ground.news/

Checked it...they give an article about Earth having rings 466 million years ago a left slant....  Factual reporting about the Mossad and the beeper explosives a right...one is a scientific theory and the other just reporting on some facts. I will check it more on actual political pieces and see how it feels. I like the idea of it for sure if they're not biased as well hahaha

9 hours ago, Gator said:

Yea fear mongering is sad stuff. 

How many more crazy people needs to try and end Trumps life before you guys truly understand that

Same people used bullying and fear to force a vaccine on people 4 years ago lol. Idk how you can't see the "crazy" in the left the last 4 years

100% guarantee you were laughing at it sharing memes about pelosis husband being attacked though

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DSVII said:

Just a reminder how Republicans talk to their own that don't 100% side with Trump. Warning: Explicit and violent language. 

This is the voicemail of one Republican congressman . Imagine what the Dems hear. It's what happens when you listen unquestioningly to all those reactionary youtubers @Gator 

The left are totally out of control out of their minds, they're violent they're just....uggh the left 

Right gator?  Gator?

• Desmenko 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

🙂

If he doesn't like America or democracy he can f*** off back to south africa.  Nothing stopping him

IMagine saying if my side I am paying billions to support doesnt win the election that the entire nation is doomed.

Literally saying I am paying BILLIONS to win this election to pursue my own agenda, but if it doesn't happen you are all screwed

But the left, right?  Totally out of control

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If he doesn't like America or democracy he can f*** off back to south africa.  Nothing stopping him

IMagine saying if my side I am paying billions to support doesnt win the election that the entire nation is doomed.

Literally saying I am paying BILLIONS to win this election to pursue my own agenda, but if it doesn't happen you are all screwed

But the left, right?  Totally out of control

NHL should've tried harder to get Mark Cuban involved in the NHL (ownership capacity) 

31 minutes ago, Gator said:

Has to do with the US, so I guess this is the best place to post it?.. Either way it's pretty cool to hear an interview from a guy alive during that time

Humans certainly are a blight on nature. From the prairie grasses to the Buffalo. We ruin mostly everything natural. 
Likely it matters not who is in government. We are beyond the tipping point. 

Back to the subject of the US election, it seems as though one or two posters are becoming increasingly pessimistic about the Dems chances, so I'll give you something to feel just a bit more optimistic about.

Listen to Trump's words lately. He's really leaning into the "rigged" and "cheating" angle. This suggests to me that he thinks he might lose....again...

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Back to the subject of the US election, it seems as though one or two posters are becoming increasingly pessimistic about the Dems chances, so I'll give you something to feel just a bit more optimistic about.

Listen to Trump's words lately. He's really leaning into the "rigged" and "cheating" angle. This suggests to me that he thinks he might lose....again...

The poster is right to feel a little pessimistic. Not necessarily on the Harris messaging imo but with the math. With the EC, Harris has a 70% chance to win tbe popular vote but only about 50% to win the election.

With the way the map is set up. Trump only needs Georgia and Pennsylvania in top of the states he kept in 2020. 

Biden won Georgia by 10,000 votes and Pennsylvania he led by what 2-4%? 

It's going to come down to ~50,000 people based on their zip codes. It remains to be seen what the RFK effect will be.

Now if Harris takes North Carolina. Things get interesting.

It's almost guaranteed Trump is going to declare victory before the ballets are fully counted.

https://www.rawstory.com/donald-trump-election-lies-2669219501/

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1