US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My hope is that a center independent option evolves. The 2 extremes of progressives with AOC on the left and Trumpists on the right. Center right GOP and center left Dems form a unity party. I think it would win. 

Which Republicans would join the "Unity Party"?

AFAIK, every single Republican in Congress voted for the current Speaker.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think the view is "as things stand today" it's pretty clear Trump has a very good shot at winning. 

What does it mean for Canada? Probably not much initially, Trump will be obsessed with revenge internally for a while and Trudeau is likely gone in 2025.

I think it's easy to argue the Biden-Harris ticket is a weak one as well.

I guess.....:classic_unsure:

That being said, I don't think either of them will have to campaign as a convicted felon....

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My hope is that a center independent option evolves. The 2 extremes of progressives with AOC on the left and Trumpists on the right. Center right GOP and center left Dems form a unity party. I think it would win. 

That would be interesting... Not sure who that would be but I think most people are tired of the extremes.

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess.....:classic_unsure:

That being said, I don't think either of them will have to campaign as a convicted felon....

And yet they aren't as popular. 

45 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Which Republicans would join the "Unity Party"?

AFAIK, every single Republican in Congress voted for the current Speaker.

And AFAIK the only time any QOP member that isn't in the extreme crazy wing actually speaks out of line is when they essentially "retire".

• Cheers 2

As I, and many other, hoped and believed would happen; the Don has screwed himself

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/donald-trump-proved-a-massive-piece-of-ag-james-case-on-the-stand-law-professor/ar-AA1juzru?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5d8db7d4496c423c95dad7e2ad271fc0&ei=5

"

MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace compared Donald Trump to a toddler throwing a tantrum while in court Monday. That's exactly how Judge Arthur Engoron treated Trump, she explained. At the same time, he helped the AG prove a big piece of her case.

"Are you done?" she said, impersonating Engoron. "This is incredible.

Former FBI general counsel and NYU law professor Andrew Weissmann said that the idea of disrespecting people is part of both Trump's and MAGA's brand.

"One of the things you can count on with Donald Trump is institutions and norms that you think you would have to respect — he loves embracing the bad," said Weissmann. "That's his brand. You don't have to respect authority. You don't have to respect courts or journalists. All of that is intentional."

He also said that aside from the "awful behavior" from Trump on the stand, Trump also helped prove the "intent" part of the attorney general's case.

"If you look at the substance of what happened today, there are two things that the state has to prove on the remaining causes of action," Weissmann explained. "There's a cause of action that was found already. But on the 2 through 7 [charges], those are the remaining causes of action, the state has to prove intent, and they have to prove [materiality]. Intent means you have to show that Donald Trump intended or that the Trump Organization intended, or Don Jr. intended, for these to be false. It can't just be a mistake. That wasn't required for the first cause of action. And then reliance and materiality are aspects of the nature of what is being misrepresented. So, from something being material, it just means this is something that a bank would rely on. Or is it frivolous? Is it my favorite color is blue when it's green? Who cares?"

That's where Trump hurt himself in court on Monday, Weissmann said.

"So, on materiality, the state asked those financial statements that you submitted to the banks, your personal guarantee, they were there to be relied on by the banks in order to give you a loan. And Donald Trump said that's right. That is a huge ball of wax that is gone from the case. That's a major part of the defense, he conceded," he closed.

Regarding the discussion about election issues that the Democrats will be able to hammer the GQP on, the abortion issue is one of the biggest. It's enough of a worry for Republicans, that they're willing to make ridiculous claims about pro-choice initiatives.

This is from Ohio state senator, Michele Reynolds:

The proposed constitutional amendment Issue 1 on the November ballot would give Ohio the most radical pro-abortion law in the nation.

This is why I rose to speak on the Senate floor last week in support of Resolution 215, which opposes Issue 1 on the November ballot.

If Issue 1 becomes a constitutional amendment it would permanently:

• Remove virtually all limits on abortions.
  • Legalize abortion on demand at any stage of pregnancy.
  • Give Planned Parenthood the power to make life and death decisions.

That’s because this proposal has a catastrophic defect:  it is not specific enough to identify what will actually happen if it becomes law.

My concern is the language is so broad and so vague it will allow the worst atrocities imaginable:

• painful late-term abortions – even at nine months.
  • the dismemberment of fully conscious children.
  • abortions even after a child is born alive.
  • abortions based on a child’s sex, race, or disability.

Although backers claim this amendment provides limits on abortions, it will actually eliminate ALL restrictions.

For instance, the amendment provides that:

"Every individual has a right to make and carry out one’s own reproductive decisions, including but not limited to decisions on contraception, fertility treatment, continuing one’s own pregnancy, miscarriage care, and abortion."  

That means the amendment has no limits on any reproductive decision.

How else would a judge read that?

As an alert Plain Dealer reader observed in a letter to the editor, “What if there was tax levy that read, ‘The sales tax in the county will be 2% but not limited to 2%?’ Would you vote to approve that levy?”

The amendment’s vague language creates loopholes you could drive a truck through. Look at the wording of the medical exception:  

“...in no case may such an abortion be prohibited if in the professional judgment of the pregnant patient’s treating physician it is necessary to protect the pregnant patient’s life or health.”

Who is really making that decision? How often will the “patient’s treating physician” be an employee of an abortion provider such as Planned Parenthood? 

Abortion providers are the last people in the world who should be entrusted with such a life or death decision because they actually have a financial interest in advocating for abortion.

How is “the pregnant patient’s life or health” defined? Anything could be defined as a threat to a patient’s health, especially her mental health. 

If a patient decides in the ninth month of her pregnancy that a child would be too inconvenient, it wouldn’t take much of a nudge to persuade an abortion-providing doctor that her mental health was at stake.

That is why this amendment is a Trojan Horse – it promises safety and security but will actually accomplish the exact opposite.

This is exactly what Planned Parenthood wants. The abortion provider recently tweeted, “When it comes to your abortion, any reason is the right reason.”

https://ohiosenate.gov/news/on-the-record/issue-1-would-be-the-most-radical-pro-abortion-law-ever

17 hours ago, Gurn said:

As I, and many other, hoped and believed would happen; the Don has screwed himself

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/donald-trump-proved-a-massive-piece-of-ag-james-case-on-the-stand-law-professor/ar-AA1juzru?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5d8db7d4496c423c95dad7e2ad271fc0&ei=5

"

MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace compared Donald Trump to a toddler throwing a tantrum while in court Monday. That's exactly how Judge Arthur Engoron treated Trump, she explained. At the same time, he helped the AG prove a big piece of her case.

"Are you done?" she said, impersonating Engoron. "This is incredible.

Former FBI general counsel and NYU law professor Andrew Weissmann said that the idea of disrespecting people is part of both Trump's and MAGA's brand.

"One of the things you can count on with Donald Trump is institutions and norms that you think you would have to respect — he loves embracing the bad," said Weissmann. "That's his brand. You don't have to respect authority. You don't have to respect courts or journalists. All of that is intentional."

He also said that aside from the "awful behavior" from Trump on the stand, Trump also helped prove the "intent" part of the attorney general's case.

"If you look at the substance of what happened today, there are two things that the state has to prove on the remaining causes of action," Weissmann explained. "There's a cause of action that was found already. But on the 2 through 7 [charges], those are the remaining causes of action, the state has to prove intent, and they have to prove [materiality]. Intent means you have to show that Donald Trump intended or that the Trump Organization intended, or Don Jr. intended, for these to be false. It can't just be a mistake. That wasn't required for the first cause of action. And then reliance and materiality are aspects of the nature of what is being misrepresented. So, from something being material, it just means this is something that a bank would rely on. Or is it frivolous? Is it my favorite color is blue when it's green? Who cares?"

That's where Trump hurt himself in court on Monday, Weissmann said.

"So, on materiality, the state asked those financial statements that you submitted to the banks, your personal guarantee, they were there to be relied on by the banks in order to give you a loan. And Donald Trump said that's right. That is a huge ball of wax that is gone from the case. That's a major part of the defense, he conceded," he closed.

This is why taking the stand in your own trial is such a gamble.  If the prosecution gets you, your case is cooked.  People like Alex Jones and TRUMP didn't see or understand that danger, and cooked their own cases.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

This is why taking the stand in your own trial is such a gamble.  If the prosecution gets you, your case is cooked.  People like Alex Jones and TRUMP didn't see or understand that danger, and cooked their own cases.

Megalomaniacs generally are blind to these sorts of dangers, even with flashing signs and physical barriers.  :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-already-suggesting-speaker-mike-johnson-should-be-ousted/ar-AA1jxP2G?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=81e7bb6a9f644e7cb5d5af2bf69369fc&ei=45

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is already taking aim at her party's new speaker of the House, Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA).

In an interview with The Daily Caller, Greene blasted Johnson because he declined to instruct Republican members to vote for her resolution to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), who participated in a peaceful protest at the Capitol. Greene called the protest an insurrection.

"Well, he didn't whip votes for it," she said of Johnson. "He told people to vote their conscience. So he was not supportive of it."

Greene noted that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and other Republicans had said any speaker who passed a continuing resolution to fund the government or provided aid to Ukraine "should be ousted."

"So my question is, we're about to have speaker Mike Johnson pass the CR," she remarked. "And he is talking about passing mega, mega Ukraine funding … trying to pair it with border security, pretending that the Biden administration is going to do anything to secure our borders. And he's already funded another foreign war, which is Israel."

"Where are the red lines? Do they still apply? Or are the eight willing to admit that it was really something personal the entire time?" Greene asked, referring to the ouster of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA). "And I'm just tired of the hypocrisy. I've been calling this place the house of hypocrites ever since I was elected. And I still continue to find it to be so."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-already-suggesting-speaker-mike-johnson-should-be-ousted/ar-AA1jxP2G?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=81e7bb6a9f644e7cb5d5af2bf69369fc&ei=45

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) is already taking aim at her party's new speaker of the House, Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA).

In an interview with The Daily Caller, Greene blasted Johnson because he declined to instruct Republican members to vote for her resolution to censure Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI), who participated in a peaceful protest at the Capitol. Greene called the protest an insurrection.

"Well, he didn't whip votes for it," she said of Johnson. "He told people to vote their conscience. So he was not supportive of it."

Greene noted that Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and other Republicans had said any speaker who passed a continuing resolution to fund the government or provided aid to Ukraine "should be ousted."

"So my question is, we're about to have speaker Mike Johnson pass the CR," she remarked. "And he is talking about passing mega, mega Ukraine funding … trying to pair it with border security, pretending that the Biden administration is going to do anything to secure our borders. And he's already funded another foreign war, which is Israel."

"Where are the red lines? Do they still apply? Or are the eight willing to admit that it was really something personal the entire time?" Greene asked, referring to the ouster of former Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA). "And I'm just tired of the hypocrisy. I've been calling this place the house of hypocrites ever since I was elected. And I still continue to find it to be so."

My urge to say to her....

200w.gif.9ba91e81e1d48204aa945e02e4551330.gif

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Romney Outs GOP Senators Who Opposed Bipartisan Gun Bill Following Uvalde Massacre Because It Was an Election Year

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/romney-outs-gop-senators-who-opposed-bipartisan-gun-bill-following-uvalde-massacre-because-it-was-an-election-year/

Figures Mike Lee and Ron Johnson would be wimping out....waaaah. election year....waaaah. Doesn't matter how many people have since lost their lives due to the gun bill not passing. These twatwaffles can't think beyond the end of their ..... their.... noses when it comes to maintaining power. Me, me, me.... and to hell with everyone else INCLUDING  those who elected them in the first place.

Edited by Cerridwen
Grammar
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

Figures Mike Lee and Ron Johnson would be wimping out....waaaah. election year....waaaah. Doesn't matter how many people have since lost their lives due to the gun bill not passing. These twatwaffles can't think beyond the end of their ..... their.... noses when it comes to maintaining power. Me, me, me.... and to hell with everyone else INCLUDING  those who elected them in the first place.

Missed your “twatwaffles”. 🤣

• Haha 1