US Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Is the person who is writing the tweet for Kamala also senile?  What does “senile Monet mean”?  Is that French for something?

It's like calling something a "Mona Lisa" or "Michaelangelo". Monet is one of the most famous painters ever. 

You'd usually use it to call something beautiful or a masterpiece but, in this case, it's being used to refer to Trump's senility. 

Calling it a monet of senility would make more sense. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

It's like calling something a "Mona Lisa" or "Michaelangelo". Monet is one of the most famous painters ever. 

You'd usually use it to call something beautiful or a masterpiece but, in this case, it's being used to refer to Trump's senility. 

Should've let the dinner party experts explain it instead.  :hurhur:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

So it was used incorrectly then…

3 hours ago, bolt said:

So three things.

1. Trump wasn't necessary doing any better on the border. Covid takes credit for stopping the influx of the border during the lowest points on that chart. He also killed the strongest Republican  written and backed bill earlier this year to have this problem to run on. The border isn't a principle he, and I suspect you, truly care about.

https://www.factcheck.org/2024/04/trumps-misleading-chart-on-illegal-immigration/

“Any complete reading of what took place at the U.S.-Mexico border in 2020 would have to note the emergence of a global pandemic that dramatically chilled mobility of all forms in its early phase,” Michelle Mittelstadt, director of communications for the Migration Policy Institute, told us via email. “That is not a factor listed on the chart below, best I can tell.”

“The pandemic was responsible for a near-complete halt to all forms of global mobility in 2020, due to a combination of border restrictions imposed by countries around the world (we recorded more than 43,000 travel measures taken by countries between January and May 2020 alone, lockdowns, and the shutdown of aviation and other transportation routes),” Mittelstadt said.

-------

2. The chart isn't even in the BBC article, and you need expulsions alongside this chart to show toughness on border (the chart isn't well designed. Illegal aliens, what? Encounters? Entries? Apprehensions?

I think it also helps if you include the number of expulsions alongside this graph to show yes there may be more encounters, but border patrol deportations were rising in accordance with those rates.

It would be misleading to just show the influx without showing the border response right? 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/329256/alien-apprehensions-registered-by-the-us-border-patrol/

image.thumb.png.4ca8b18002d011f26742a3193ca2bfa5.png

undefined

3. fentasyl is a far right hack that uses lazy, made up, or de-contextualized statistics to misinform and spread harmful conspiracy theories

image.png.fef512b30dac901453176569829db847.png

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 2

On 9/13/2024 at 5:18 AM, bishopshodan said:

I completely 100% disagree.

It was fantastic for the Dems. Home run.

He had more lies, I couldn't find much substance as he was all over the ice.

Speaking of all over the ice, if this was a hockey game I would have scored it 8-1 for Harris. Trump was ok in the first few mins then started to flail.

Has Trump agreed to another debate? last I heard he was licking his wounds and refusing. 

Normally debates dont change much, but this one seems different. Adding to it is that fact that the most popular popstar on the planet endorsed Kamala right after. She is a force, make no mistake. Some report that when Swift tours the US, it adds $5.7 Billion to the economy. Hows that for crowd size, don?

Sorry I'm getting to this so late but I think your response is fair.

I thought Trump started out stronger on points, but overall Harris had the right points at the rights times & took over as it went along.

I personally wasn't impressed either way, but I would agree that if your scoring a winner Harris came across better.

Honestly though Harris is so bad. She can't speak off script. The interview she did after the debate was unbearable, I couldn't get halfway. Trump is horrible too don't get me wrong - he atleast had some magic in 2016 - but him being old, a raging narcissist, & unable to focus/function doesn't mean her brain works properly either, shes fking terrible at talking.

I'd prefer an hour of nails to a chalkboard than her trying to formulate answers. And I'm sure that comment will go over extremely well in this forum but honest to god she's horrible at speaking & I don't think she has any substance to her. Hillary was far & away better imo and she lost to Trump lol.  

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Sooo..less than the US average of 1 in 3 people having a criminal record....

We have no choice but to put up with our own criminal citizens.  We should not be importing more murderers and rapists for no reason.  Canada wouldn't be thrilled if we separated those scumbags out and pointed them north.  Then you guys would be the ones complaining.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

We have no choice but to put up with our own criminal citizens.  We should not be importing more murderers and rapists for no reason.  Canada wouldn't be thrilled if we separated those scumbags out and pointed them north.  Then you guys would be the ones complaining.

ha ha jokes on you, we wouldn't arrest them so our numbers would be better. 

• Haha 1

(CNN) — When former President Donald Trump looks up from his seat in Bryant-Denny Stadium Saturday night during the Alabama-Georgia football game, he may see more than just 100,000 fans watching a high-stakes college football showdown. That’s because Vice President Kamala Harris plans to troll her opponent over his refusal to debate her for a second time — from the skies.

The Harris campaign has arranged to have a small plane fly over Tuscaloosa during the game with a banner declaring, “Trump’s Punting on 2nd Debate.”

It’s a challenge that won’t just be visible to those cheering on the Crimson Tide or the Georgia Bulldogs from the stands, a campaign official tells CNN. The Harris campaign will also air a national ad during one of the most highly anticipated games of college football where she calls on the former president to meet her on the debate stage one more time.

“Winners never back down from a challenge,” the ad’s narrator says. “Champions know it’s any time, any place. But losers, they whine and waffle and take their ball home.”

The vice president’s campaign has accepted CNN’s invitation for a second debate next month, but Trump has so far declined to accept, arguing the October 23 date is “too late” for another face-off because early voting has already started in some states. Both the 2020 and 2016 races included mid-October debates in which Trump participated.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sorry I'm getting to this so late but I think your response is fair.

I thought Trump started out stronger on points, but overall Harris had the right points at the rights times & took over as it went along.

I personally wasn't impressed either way, but I would agree that if your scoring a winner Harris came across better.

Honestly though Harris is so bad. She can't speak off script. The interview she did after the debate was unbearable, I couldn't get halfway. Trump is horrible too don't get me wrong - he atleast had some magic in 2016 - but him being old, a raging narcissist, & unable to focus/function doesn't mean her brain works properly either, shes fking terrible at talking.

I'd prefer an hour of nails to a chalkboard than her trying to formulate answers. And I'm sure that comment will go over extremely well in this forum but honest to god she's horrible at speaking & I don't think she has any substance to her. Hillary was far & away better imo and she lost to Trump lol.  

i dont agree with what you say about Harris. She might not be the best but I dont see her as terrible, horrible, no substance, at all. She obviously has the career experience and smarts. She seems to do very well at her rallies...

But the most important part is all that doesn't matter. Trump really is that much worse. The states needs to get rid of this cult leader. The social issues will remain but that man needs to be left in the past. 

Bill Maher had a guest on last night talking about algorithms and Ai. ( was an interesting segment)

These algorithms have found out how to get our attention, what stimulates humans the most.....it's fear and hate. 

Don and crew know this and implement it with their campiagns rhetoric.

It needs to be stopped. It really does.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

i dont agree with what you say about Harris. She might not be the best but I dont see her as terrible, horrible, no substance, at all. She obviously has the career experience and smarts. She seems to do very well at her rallies...

But the most important part is all that doesn't matter. Trump really is that much worse. The states needs to get rid of this cult leader. The social issues will remain but that man needs to be left in the past. 

Bill Maher had a guest on last night talking about algorithms and Ai. ( was an interesting segment)

These algorithms have found out how to get our attention, what stimulates humans the most.....it's fear and hate. 

Don and crew know this and implement it with their campiagns rhetoric.

It needs to be stopped. It really does.

Putin knew this long before ai 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Putin knew this long before ai 

It was a good watch.

They were pointing out that these algoritms are released without any regulation. 

The guy (Yuval Noah Harari)  was saying that is a major issue. He was mentioning that it promotes hate and even hate speech, so there should be regulations. His quote was something like 'humans should have free speech but Ai should not"

Here I found the clip it in this article...

https://www.insidehook.com/television/bill-maher-real-time-ai-politics-un-fran-lebowitz

Edited by bishopshodan
found clip on You tube
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It was a good watch.

They were pointing out that these algoritms are released without any regulation. 

The guy (Yuval Noah Harari)  was saying that is a major issue. He was mentioning that it promotes hate and even hate speech, so there should be regulations. His quote was something like 'humans should have free speech but Ai should not"

Here I found the clip it in this article...

https://www.insidehook.com/television/bill-maher-real-time-ai-politics-un-fran-lebowitz

Thanks.

What is really freaky to me is how much more people can continue to create and live in their own reality, and ai can take this to new heights.

I don't think we should take Gator seriously, but there are a lot of people who really are true believers of that nonsense and are happy to self segregate into weird camps.

I have an in-law who's deep into this shit. He's getting unbearable because he's really frustrated with the rest of the family who doesn't see what he thinks he does. I'm starting to wonder how far he'll take it.

• Cheers 3